Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm pretty sure that they are starting over completely with Daredevil. Charlie Cox said as much at D23, and the fact that we are going to see the early yellow version of the suit makes me think that they are going to do a clean slate. That gives them more freedom than sticking to established continuity from when they did not have complete control over the creative direction.

This is rumour sites completely misquoting Charlie Cox. He explicitly said he has NOT seen any scripts for Born Again, and that it's just a fresh start for the character. Gossipmongers took that to mean a total reboot and ran with it.

Calling it now, they will not contradict anything from the 3 Netflix seasons, because they absolutely do not need to. They might do a few extra flashbacks to refresh new viewers on who DD is, and the origin, but that's just a glorified in-universe "previously on..." bit of setup. Even in Hawkeye they were careful to show flashback Kingpin in the time appropriate black suit from before he met Vanessa, changing to white for current era.

Sure, the series is going to be another round of DD versus Kingpin, but like the comics haven't done that 100 times already and it still works every time. It's canonically so many years since they last squared off that Fisk has had plenty of time to plot an epic comeback. Though honestly the one downside for the Hawkeye show was seeing him reduced to just the leader of the tracksuit mafia which was a bit "eh" for his return.

I still say the best DD/Fisk story would have been set just after The Snap, where Fisk is the "necessary evil" strongman holding a fractured New York together, with DD having to rein in his excesses while being unable to take him down because, frankly, in this near apocalyptic situation there would be some temporary benefit from someone, anyone (even Fisk) saying "I got this" and stopping society falling apart completely. There would have been so many complex moral and ethical quandries to navigate in the "fascism is bad but full societal collapse is worse" aspect of walking that particular line.

Hell, they could still do that, just have Fisk's influence first reduced as the world gradually came to terms with a post-Snap world, and then negated after the return. Just use his reputation gain in those first post-Snap years being what wiped out his previous negative rep so he can now cleanly run for mayor etc as he's managed to launder his public image into the saviour of New York.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As long as there is no Elektra ill be happy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Amazed that anyone could say no to more Elodie Yung

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Yeah I thought she was great, perfect combo of alluring and scary

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rarity posted:

She was a very talented actress doing the best she could with a very poorly written character.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The “antihero love interest” is so easy to pull off well by just having them be villains who aren’t murderers like Catwoman or Black Cat. I don’t remember much of DD season 2 but I recall some mythical cult and prophecies or something and it just didn’t work.

Man the early episodes of season 2 with Punisher and Daredevil in direct conflict were amazing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

She was a very talented actress doing the best she could with a very poorly written character.

Yeah I thought she was great.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

I still say the best DD/Fisk story would have been set just after The Snap, where Fisk is the "necessary evil" strongman holding a fractured New York together, with DD having to rein in his excesses while being unable to take him down because, frankly, in this near apocalyptic situation there would be some temporary benefit from someone, anyone (even Fisk) saying "I got this" and stopping society falling apart completely. There would have been so many complex moral and ethical quandries to navigate in the "fascism is bad but full societal collapse is worse" aspect of walking that particular line.

The Avengers, or at least a version of the Avengers, existed during the blip. Going full Escape from NY wouldn't have been necessary.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

live with fruit posted:

The Avongers, or at least a version of the Avongers, existed during the blip. Going full Escape from NY wouldn't have been necessary.

On the other hand, tell me you don't want to see Kingpin rolling around in a limo with chandeliers mounted to the bonnet.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
There has to be a limit to how big the street level stuff can be. There were no real stakes in Hawkeye and Vulture was just selling weapons. Kingpin becoming the emperor of New York would grab more than just Daredevil’s attention.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Rarity posted:

Daredevil Elektra - Yes
The Defenders Elektra - No

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

live with fruit posted:

The Avengers, or at least a version of the Avengers, existed during the blip. Going full Escape from NY wouldn't have been necessary.

The Avengers were shown to be in pretty rough shape and straining to keep things intact, and it's already pretty well established they're not really concerned or effective with street level stuff at the best of times.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

live with fruit posted:

There has to be a limit to how big the street level stuff can be. There were no real stakes in Hawkeye and Vulture was just selling weapons. Kingpin becoming the emperor of New York would grab more than just Daredevil’s attention.

I think the idea works if Kingpin was only consolidating organized crime and pushing more influence over neighbourhoods without it being him sitting on a throne over the rubble of the city or whatever. No reason you can't have someone relatively underground "holding the city together" - just demonstrate that corruption is rife, the police aren't effective, etc.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

live with fruit posted:

In fairness they were alien powered weapons

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
I actually wonder if they're building towards a big streetlevel event. There's already a connection between Echo, Kate and Hawkeye, with Daredevil coming and he's got connections to Spider-Man, sort of, and She-Hulk. "Kingpin Level Threat" could become a thing.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

gently caress it just have her play Kwannon or something, Elektra loving sucks and is the worst

Daredevil should never be allowed near ninja bullshit

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Elektra is too well known among non-nerds to not be a part of the MCU.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Mameluke posted:

gently caress it just have her play Kwannon or something, Elektra loving sucks and is the worst

Daredevil should never be allowed near ninja bullshit

this is the most wrong thing I have ever heard

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
make jon favreau say electric nachos again

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Soul Glo posted:

make jon favreau say electric nachos again

Goddamn it, I'm sure other, smarter, people have already mentioned it, but only just this moment did it click with me that Favreau's now shared a scene with two versions of Daredevil.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Hmmm. The Hand. The Hood. The High Evolutionary. Hammerhead…

..if it weren’t for Hela and the Hobgoblin, I’d say ban all H supervillains, they’re completely rubbish.

Also, I’m trademarking Hela and the Hobgoblin for my band name, do not steal.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Sentinel Red posted:

Hmmm. The Hand. The Hood. The High Evolutionary. Hammerhead…

..if it weren’t for Hela and the Hobgoblin, I’d say ban all H supervillains, they’re completely rubbish.

Also, I’m trademarking Hela and the Hobgoblin for my band name, do not steal.

I'm also a big fan of Hydro-Man, Hypno-Hustler and Hhhhhwiplash

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Can’t believe that Triple H is gonna be the antagonist in Ant-Man 3.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Gonz posted:

Can’t believe that Triple H is gonna be the antagonist in Ant-Man 3.

especially when most folks know him as a Blade villain

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Hkang Hthe Hconqueror?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

In fairness they were alien powered weapons

This is specifically why the stakes were high. Tony didn't think Chitauri weapon dealers were any bigger than regular cop level, but Uncle Aaron is terrified of them because he's just doing street stuff for money and recognizes how dangerous it is for everyone to be able to get building-destroying energy rifles.

Which is a good callback to the first Avengers movie. Steve is pissed when he finds out that SHIELD is trying to take advantage of everything to reverse-engineer alien and Tesseract technology to make these, and he ends up absolutely right about their motivations in the end. SHIELD was compromised all along and the influx of alien tech is causing a lot of chaos and destruction around the world.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Oh dip!

https://deadline.com/2022/09/loki-eugene-cordero-upped-series-regular-season-2-1235122473/

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Pillboi!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dude is in all the big franchises: MCU, Star Wars, Star Trek, Ghostbusters, Godzilla/Monsterverse ....

He's also going to make the move from animated Star Trek character to live action when Lower Decks has a crossover episode with ST: Strange New Worlds next year

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Dude is in all the big franchises: MCU, Star Wars, Star Trek, Ghostbusters, Godzilla/Monsterverse ....

He's also going to make the move from animated Star Trek character to live action when Lower Decks has a crossover episode with ST: Strange New Worlds next year

He's such a That Guy actor that his role in Loki seemed like a glorified cameo so it makes sense they'd bring him back and give him something to do.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I only know him from The Good Place

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Oasx posted:

I only know him from The Good Place

Okie dokie!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

He is? I thought that was just going to be Tawny Newsome and Jack Quaid.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

Though honestly the one downside for the Hawkeye show was seeing him reduced to just the leader of the tracksuit mafia which was a bit "eh" for his return.

I thought this was a huge down side myself, the squashing of any sort of real danger so that the same goofballs can be pummeled over and over again.

I really disliked that show other than the White Widow interactions

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
"Just the leader of the Tracksuit Mafia" doesn't seem accurate considering how scared Kate's mom, who was pretty powerful, was of him.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

live with fruit posted:

"Just the leader of the Tracksuit Mafia" doesn't seem accurate considering how scared Kate's mom, who was pretty powerful, was of him.

That’s fair. But the Kingpin they talked about in fearful hushed tones, and the Kingpin they showed hanging with the bros, felt like two different people.

Instead of Fisk limping away down an alley, I would have liked to see the cops rushing to arrest him at the car crash site but as soon as they see him they’re all “oh sorry Mr. Fisk you can go” and that alone would have sold him as a threat outside the law. That was I needed for him.

The best Kingpin scenes were deleted. Hope they find a way to use them in Echo.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Didn't D'Onofrio say that Kingpin lost a lot of power during the Blip?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
He did, yeah. Which is the opposite of where I would have taken it, but Hawkeye was just the teasery little "look who's back, bitches" return to the MCU for him so I won't judge until Echo and Born Again drop.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just assumed the Tracksuit Mafia was one part of the Kingpin's operations and he had other stuff going on off-screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Parkingtigers posted:

He did, yeah. Which is the opposite of where I would have taken it, but Hawkeye was just the teasery little "look who's back, bitches" return to the MCU for him so I won't judge until Echo and Born Again drop.

Gotta give Kingpin something to do across three shows.