Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Tirade posted:

Second Sekiro update: I suck at this game. I get that each boss tries to teach you something eg Lady Butterfly taught me to learn which of her moves allowed get a counter hit in and which I'd have to just block, the blazing bull taught me that attacks you wouldn't expect to be able to parry can be parried, that dude before Genichiro taught me to dodge left but hosed if I know what Genichiro is teaching me beyond "git gud lol".

I'll give it a few more goes but I've had a dozen attempts and have got to his final stage once. I even watched a video to see what to do and I've got no idea how to hit the intensity enough to stagger him, I'm always the one that needs to back off due to poorly timed parries.

Looking back on it I think Genny is there to teach you to stand your ground and memorise his moves. No unnecessary running or spamming dodge. Just walk up to him like you’re the terminator. Remember blocking negates all damage so it might be worth blocking until a move comes along where you know you can parry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Genichiro is mostly getting into the rhythm of strike strike deflect x till dead and sometimes avoiding his unblockables.

He's a mid boss that tests your fundamentals because couple later fights are much harder.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
You want to learn to parry his combo basically. If you can parry the whole combo 1/3rd of the time you almost automatically win.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Genichiro is there to teach you that Sekiro is a rhythm game, and that once you learn and perfect the rhythm you can breeze through anything.

Also the lightning thing.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Genichiro is about learning how to do more complex timing rhythm games than Lady Butterfly, while also mixing in the mikiri counter and the jump counter. Once you teach your reflexes how to quickly discern those two attacks, and reliably counted them, he’s destroyed. Genichiro also gives you the first opportunity to absolutely slap someone’s rear end and beat them fuckin senseless and feel awesome about it.

Just going to post this again because it’s the coolest poo poo I ever did.

https://youtu.be/pYhA1enOpts

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Blind Rasputin posted:

Genichiro is about learning how to do more complex timing rhythm games than Lady Butterfly, while also mixing in the mikiri counter and the jump counter. Once you teach your reflexes how to quickly discern those two attacks, and reliably counted them, he’s destroyed.

...and y'wonder why i like the games that i can actually ever play

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seeing Geni’s final phase within the first dozen attempts is super impressive tbh

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If you're a middling gamer, sure

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Casnorf posted:

souls inspired is a loving plague especially since souls is just castlevania 3d writ decent

oh no a plague of fun games

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Also re Sekiro, I don’t know if this may be an issue or not, but definitely 100% do not button mash. I certainly button mash the deflect button when I’m not perfectly sure when an attack is going to land and that’s ok, but mashing attack is death. The game queues a few button pushes and if you mash attack but suddenly need to deflect, you’ll be in an inescapable attack animation and unable to. So every attack press needs to be intentional. That’s where the rhythm game comes in. You can see that when I get genichiro’s first kill hit in. I’m intentionally tapping attack for every swing without mashing so the exact moment he finished winding up and swings, within 1/8th of a second I’m able to tap deflect and the insanity of sekiro’s responsiveness makes for a like near orgasmic deflection of his sword swing.

As well, probably 50% of every fight is sound. There are tons of sound prompts. If you watch that genichiro fight (or any fight) you’ll hear when the deflect sounds change to a deeper louder clang. That’s the audible queue that either a different type of attack is coming (one you can counter and attack) or straight up it’s your turn to start attacking in some way. It’s an ingenious back and forth of swordplay that way. Really the only game that does it. The more you pay attention to what the sounds are doing and how they guide the rhythm game the easier the game will get. Like, the first time I fought a vilehand poison ninja (I think the one in the tower) god I was barely hanging on. By the end of the fight I’d learned more about the audible back and forth and prompts than literally anything else, and literally mid-fight started clowning. The second time I fought one (burning hirata?) it was just a total one sided fight and I pushed his poo poo in.

If october didn’t have so many games releasing I’d be playing this again, god damnit it’d be the third time lol.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Sep 19, 2022

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I enjoyed the Wo Long demo a ton. Nioh was never meant to be a Souls-like. Like others have said Souls puts a lot of emphasis on exploration and filling in the gaps yourself. Nioh and Wo Long are action games and everything is built towards this purpose. With that design philosophy in mind it accomplishes what it sets out to do. The games are nothing alike except they tend to be difficult and have respawning enemies when you rest. The Wo Long beta has problems like healing being far too slow, dodge feeling off and the parry window being far too small but I enjoyed the heck out of the combat. Combat is about momentum, which the morale and spirit gauge reinforce. You defeat enemies, raise your morale and in each fight you are trying to lower their spirit gauges while raising yours. Break their spirit then do a killing blow - it's a lot like Sekiro that way.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 19, 2022

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The one fatal blow where you leap into the air and skewer the enemy with your spear while the message REVENGEANCE ACHIEVED or something similar appears is sick as hell.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Quantum of Phallus posted:

oh no a plague of fun games

mostly just that people seem to have taken all the least interesting things about them and then called anything that uses that souls like

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The only souls inspired game I like is god of war

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://twitter.com/TheGTAInformer/status/1571819711536455683

game was coming out in 2024. lol. goddamnit. :negative:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://twitter.com/RockstarGames/status/1571849091860029455

2024 is back on????? :pray:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Q4 2024. So basically 2025.

Probably timed for a christmas launch.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

JBP posted:

The only souls inspired game I like is god of war

I wish soulslike combat was as fun as GoW. Been enjoying the hell out of my playthrough so far. They also need a talking head who gives you lore and snarks with you all the time

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

So what, GTAVI for the 10-year anniversary of GTA5?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Endorph posted:

would you prefer if gta6 was a diablo game and diablo 4 was a gta game

not necessarily but it would be pretty wild

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Twibbit posted:

They also need a talking head who gives you lore and snarks with you all the time

morte is a bro and so is murray

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
My bank balance: $69,000,000
My dick: HUGE
Available: Right now, ladies

VIA THE HACKER

Like follow and subscribe my totally legit twitter.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Twibbit posted:

I wish soulslike combat was as fun as GoW.

im gonna loving puke

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

the hacker is supposedly a 16 year old kid from the uk who also hacked, along with their group, Okta, Samsung, Nvidia, Microsoft, Ubisoft and now Uber and Rockstar and who already got arrested last year and given a 1 month internet suspension. lololol lmao

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 19, 2022

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Vikar Jerome posted:

the hacker is supposedly a 16 year old kid from the uk who also hacked, along with their group, Okta, Samsung, Nvidia, Microsoft, Ubisoft and now Uber and Rockstar who already got arrested last year and given a 1 month internet suspension. lololol lmao

Hack. The. Planet.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

im gonna loving puke

Then puke

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So something I did not realize about Wo Long is that the standard heavy attack (triangle) will use spirit if available and when it does, not only does it do more stamina damage, it actually will permanently decrease the max size of an enemies stamina gauge, making it quicker to stagger + critical hit them with the red dot.

One of the reasons I struggled with the harder enemies like the second form of the boss is that anytime I got an opening I always tried to land the full 4 hit light (square) combo, then the heavy, and many times that meant the enemy would leap away or block the heavy attack. It's probably much better to go for less light attacks and ensure you land the heavy as much as possible, since you will start staggering them way more often.

This definitely makes a difference with the boss'' second form for sure.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 19, 2022

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Yeah, Wo Long has a lot of system changes to what I'm used to with Nioh, and it definitely feels different. I'm not good at it yet but I like their intentions with the changes to stamina/spirit and the Fortitude mechanics, and how they tie into your access to magic and special attacks.

As always with the Team Ninja games, the first demo is really rough and probably from a fairly early build of the game, and obviously doesn't indicate how much content and weapons/magic/skills/etc are going to be in the final game. If they follow the pattern with Nioh 1 and 2, I expect the next two demos for Wo Long to show dramatic improvements in performance and balancing and refinement. This first demo is a good foundation, and the final game is going to be great.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Blind Rasputin posted:

So what, GTAVI for the 10-year anniversary of GTA5?
That's less than a year from now

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Thanks for the Sekiro tips everyone, will give Genichiro another go on the weekend and will report back.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Game development is nuts now. I remember feeling like the wait from GTA3 to VC was long. Poor kids have been playing GTA5 a goddamn decade.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I should give GTA 5 single player a try some day, I own it somehow and not via PS+ (drunk purchase?) but RDR2 looks more interesting and I don't think I can play both back to back without getting burned.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Volte posted:

That's less than a year from now

Wait, GTA5, GRA6, 5+6=11. 11 years between games.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Dinosaurs! posted:

Game development is nuts now. I remember feeling like the wait from GTA3 to VC was long. Poor kids have been playing GTA5 a goddamn decade.

I haven't gamed on a PC in more than a decade, but it also seems like "total conversion" mods like Counter-Strike or TFC have gone by the wayside - apparently game engines are way too complex these days for an amateur team to build those types of mods.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I will play the dump truck latina GTA when its released in the next 2-5 years and enjoy it imho

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

I wouldn’t even mind them milking gta 6 with all the micro transactions and poo poo they’ve done with 5 if they could do it in a less ham fisted way.
Like if you can incentivize me spending money on it with something other than paying to not get death lasered by a 14 year old as soon as a log in then I might think about it
Just never felt like I wanted to spend any money on it

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
The reaction to these leaks has been interesting, the devs don't like it for a variety of reasons, the source code aspect being obviously the worst part in regards to their work, but the footage is more of a mixed bag. Some people find it fascinating and understand it's half-baked at best, while others just don't.

Indie devs that go through early access or a Kickstarter would often be putting out footage like this as development progresses. I think it would be neat if the big companies involved in these leaks leaned into it, and started curating development footage and writing up PR blogs to explain how it's not final and such. Might increase hype a lot, might not, I haven't looked into whether this approach versus the regular one has been researched or whatever.

The big problem with the footage leaks for these games however is their fanbases are huge and filled with people who don't understand that it's a work in progress or that everything shown won't be in the final game (any characters, feature, voiced lines, etc can get cut). Some of those people are "gamers™" and will do poo poo like doxxing or swatting the devs if not outright sending in death threats. While this poo poo can happen regardless of how big the IP or company is, it's just a lot more likely in these cases. I wonder if leaning into it would alleviate this or if it would just exacerbate it, but it's not something anyone could really test out ethically. Most likely the bad actors aren't the type whom you could effectively explain this to at all.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 19, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

curried lamb of God posted:

I haven't gamed on a PC in more than a decade, but it also seems like "total conversion" mods like Counter-Strike or TFC have gone by the wayside - apparently game engines are way too complex these days for an amateur team to build those types of mods.

It's a combination of a lot of things:

-Like you say, modern games are far too large and complex for a team of a few unpaid hobbyists to make significant changes to them in a reasonable time. There are more than a few projects that started out as mods but were forced to evolve into actual businesses with paid full-time developers (the first one that comes to mind is Black Mesa)

-For a bunch of reasons (but mostly in-game storefronts and cheating in multiplayer) studios are less amenable to modding now and don't give it the support or engine features it needs

-Indie development has gotten a lot easier and more accessible, so your game idea doesn't need to piggyback on an existing game to be developed, distributed, or noticed

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

SilkyP posted:

I wouldn’t even mind them milking gta 6 with all the micro transactions and poo poo they’ve done with 5 if they could do it in a less ham fisted way.
Like if you can incentivize me spending money on it with something other than paying to not get death lasered by a 14 year old as soon as a log in then I might think about it
Just never felt like I wanted to spend any money on it

I heard they hardcore revamped the in game money stuff in GTAO so the gameplay loop of do fun things-> get money actually exists now (as opposed to the old system where the 'best' way to get it was leaving your console on overnight or playing the same glitched heist over and over) but I haven't tried it myself yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Guillermus posted:

I should give GTA 5 single player a try some day, I own it somehow and not via PS+ (drunk purchase?) but RDR2 looks more interesting and I don't think I can play both back to back without getting burned.

RDR2 is more interesting for sure, not quite like any other open world game even if it does have a lot of GTA in its structure. If you've ever played a GTA before then GTA5 isn't gonna show you anything new.