Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

widefault posted:

My #1 Les Paul

Squier Master Series Made in Korea ~2005. Set neck, 24.75" scale, and a chambered body so it doesn't kill my neck and back.

Here's mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
getting back into steel-string pick playing, with Leavitt's Modern Method for Guitar book. this thing is gold...i put it down 6 years ago because i hit a wall with technique / posture in Vol 2. the music is so beautiful, with tons of chromaticism. you could steal the "Rhythm Accompaniment" progressions and build songs out of them easily. this stuff speaks to me a lot more than classical does at the moment

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

landgrabber posted:

there’s not much of a point though cause the current main guitar (peach strat!) has a JB in the bridge which is super gibson-y, at least to my ears. and i love it a lot.

i’m in no position to be buying another electric any time soon but as a secondary, concerned mostly with aesthetics, i want something kinda goth. like a black-on-black telecaster with a rosewood fretboard or something.

the Harley Benton matte black tele I got is goth af

gregday
May 23, 2003

I have to admit I laughed.

PuffinUp
Sep 16, 2022

by VideoGames

gregday posted:

Lmao

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

lament.cfg posted:

the Harley Benton matte black tele I got is goth af

I wish I had a chance to take a look at it, stupid covid.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

gregday posted:

lol

On the topic of Les Pauls: the tune-o-matic bridges on them are probably C-tier at best. They offer very little scale length adjustability, and the individual string heights are not adjustable (you have to adjust the height of the whole bridge at each end). Almost any other bridge is better, but these still get used for aesthetic / nostalgia reasons, i suppose.

I also don't like the string break angle at the nut, the middle two strings can bind in the nut when you try to bend, and for that reason it's difficult to keep the instrument in tune.

You can work around these problems, but I would strongly prefer to buy a short-scale dual-humbucker guitar from PRS or some other manufacturer other than Gibson.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Baron von Eevl posted:

I wish I had a chance to take a look at it, stupid covid.

having kids owns, being sick constantly is super great :hfive:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Helianthus Annuus posted:

lol

On the topic of Les Pauls: the tune-o-matic bridges on them are probably C-tier at best. They offer very little scale length adjustability, and the individual string heights are not adjustable (you have to adjust the height of the whole bridge at each end). Almost any other bridge is better, but these still get used for aesthetic / nostalgia reasons, i suppose.

I also don't like the string break angle at the nut, the middle two strings can bind in the nut when you try to bend, and for that reason it's difficult to keep the instrument in tune.

You can work around these problems, but I would strongly prefer to buy a short-scale dual-humbucker guitar from PRS or some other manufacturer other than Gibson.

I've been looking at a PRS Mira as a possible SG alternative but I can't get over those goofy loving birds.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
A Strat with a humbucker is never going to be quiiiite as beefy as a big ol chunk of mahogany with a fixed bridge. The 2 vol 2 tone pots give you some neat sounds you don't get on a lot of other guitars as well. I had a really nice clone (Agile AL-3000) but I ended up selling it because it had their optional super thin neck which I never really liked.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

I've been looking at a PRS Mira as a possible SG alternative but I can't get over those goofy loving birds.

There appear to be certain Mira models that have dot inlays but I'm not sure if any of them are currently in production so you would have to be looking at used models.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

homewrecker posted:

There appear to be certain Mira models that have dot inlays but I'm not sure if any of them are currently in production so you would have to be looking at used models.

I'd ultimately be okay with it but the local punks would kick me out the secret punk base where we have a skateboard ramp and arcades and a stage covered with chicken wire.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

PuffinUp posted:

I hated my buddies les Paul, not sure why

i find a lot of gibsons especially ones based on certain decades just have dogshit frets. i love 70s gibsons but i cannot stand the stupid low flat frets

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Disco Pope posted:

If I can ever justify an SG to myself, I like the looks of the Guild S-100 as an alternative. I saw Cheetah Chrome play one, so they must be legit.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
guild s-100 pros:
made in westerly rhode island
guild clout
kim thayil clout

guild s-100 cons:
no kickstand

the actual SG that isn't an SG is one that people wouldn't expect: ESP Eclipses (non-full thickness). for some weird reason, ESP decided their LP looking guitars should feel like SGs and their SG looking guitars should feel like LPs

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

I'd ultimately be okay with it but the local punks would kick me out the secret punk base where we have a skateboard ramp and arcades and a stage covered with chicken wire.

No problem, you can join me and we can form our own group of people who play PRSes and are therefore Blues Dentists/Lawyers except for the fact that we don't play Blues and we aren't Dentists/Lawyers.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i still get a lol out of the fact this is the only place on the internet ive ever seen have this stance on Prs even though i've been reading/posting on music/guitar player boards for like 18 years (embarassing number !)

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Regarding SGs that aren't SGs...

Epiphone Wilshire

Squier M-80

muike posted:

i still get a lol out of the fact this is the only place on the internet ive ever seen have this stance on Prs even though i've been reading/posting on music/guitar player boards for like 18 years (embarassing number !)

28 years here, and I can remember Blues Lawyers being a thing way back when I was active on usenet groups.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's so crazy that I never really ran into the issue ever. maybe it's just the subset of forums I gravitated towards (metal only basically)

Didn't squier also put out one of the weirder Fenders too, like some set-neck gibson copy type thing? I wish I could remember the name

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

muike posted:

I mean I think the bird inlays are tacky as hell and some of their finishes are really gaudy but I will forever sing the praises of the Vela. The neck profile is perfection to me and I could spend the rest of my life only playing on that Type D single coil pickup and I'd never have any complaints.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the birds have always been a bit much but i think that's kind of the charm because it means someone (paul reed smith) was a stupid bird nerd and wanted his guitar to have all these different birds on it. I keep finding out how lucky i am i couldn't stand TGP or wherever the cork sniffers liked most

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

muike posted:

It's so crazy that I never really ran into the issue ever. maybe it's just the subset of forums I gravitated towards (metal only basically)

Didn't squier also put out one of the weirder Fenders too, like some set-neck gibson copy type thing? I wish I could remember the name

Esprit?

It's a copy of the Robben Ford model, which was also sold as the Fender Flame and Esprit. Bigger than a Les Paul, smaller than an ES.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that's the one

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
You guys ever have a few too many drinks at the airport and say gently caress it and get the thing you've always wanted ever since you learned it existed back in middle school?

Because I did and I regret nothing

PuffinUp
Sep 16, 2022

by VideoGames
gently caress yeah man

PuffinUp
Sep 16, 2022

by VideoGames
I still don’t have a real nice guitar after all these years

Maybe I owe myself an American strat or something

Not sure what I would get though but I finally got the right band together….maybe it’s time

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I didn't know I needed a fretless baritone until I saw the one Samurai Guitarist had made.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PuffinUp
Sep 16, 2022

by VideoGames
Wow that’s pretty

PuffinUp
Sep 16, 2022

by VideoGames
Poofin a beefer to this, I think it’s the best music thing I’ve managed to record so far. Guy who plays keys with me is so good, I feel pretty lucky to be able to jam with him every week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYiKN_Z6H-U

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Stalizard posted:

You guys ever have a few too many drinks at the airport and say gently caress it and get the thing you've always wanted ever since you learned it existed back in middle school?

Because I did and I regret nothing

Fuuuuck. That's nice. I've always wanted that exact guitar. Nice job. Even if you don't like acdc, you need to play something off back in black to break it in. I think those are the rules.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

widefault posted:

Regarding SGs that aren't SGs...

Epiphone Wilshire

These are always such a joy to see

And continuing the lefty chat, apparently one of the forbidden fruits
I've never seen a lefty version up for sale

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

Verman posted:

Fuuuuck. That's nice. I've always wanted that exact guitar. Nice job. Even if you don't like acdc, you need to play something off back in black to break it in. I think those are the rules.

how dare you

this is a bon scott household, i broke it in with something off powerage

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

These are always such a joy to see

And continuing the lefty chat, apparently one of the forbidden fruits
I've never seen a lefty version up for sale

They don't last long, this one was listed 5 days ago and probably sold the same day

https://reverb.com/item/60718860-1977-epiphone-wilshire-lefty-cherry-sunburst

I've seen vintage ones show up on Reverb, but none of them show up in searches.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
How are you folks with letting go of guitars that are surplus? I'm up to eight now and it's getting that I need to think if I should hold on to my cheap Strat clone starter guitar. And the SG talk got me thinking if I should buy a proper Gibson and part with my Epiphone G400. Those are my first and second guitars so there's certain sentimental value to them.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Stalizard posted:

how dare you

this is a bon scott household, i broke it in with something off powerage

:hfive: I broke in my Double Jet with Riff Raff

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

How are you folks with letting go of guitars that are surplus? I'm up to eight now and it's getting that I need to think if I should hold on to my cheap Strat clone starter guitar. And the SG talk got me thinking if I should buy a proper Gibson and part with my Epiphone G400. Those are my first and second guitars so there's certain sentimental value to them.

I don't have any of the first three guitars I owned. Had chances to sell for a profit or move up to something nicer, so off they went. Do I regret it? Only that I could have gotten way more if I held onto them for a few more years.

Of course, I've also been buying and selling ~8-10 a month with a rack full of projects in my kitchen, with little attachment to most of them as a result. There's a few that I would miss if stolen/destroyed, but everything's for sale for the right amount.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I practiced an hour today without having done that for a few weeks and now my forearms are sore

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think for now I'm gonna keep my G400 and just leave it in a weird tuning. All sentimentality aside, facebook marketplace turned out to be a real lovely place to try to sell/trade a guitar

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

several days of probably bad decisions. Lovepedal had one of his SNS sales and I got a couple to try, if I don't like 'em back on sale they go I reckon. They're the Hermida ones, I don't want Sean's own circuits 'cause they're all elektras or son of screamers but I wanted to try a Zendrive back in the day and I guess now I will. And now I've got this god drat Wangnord or Nordvein or whatever Gravity 2.0 pedal (it's named after John Meyer what am I doing) on layaway because it just sounded too good. I don't even tone chase that dude, I don't play blues, I blame being still numbed up from a root canal for this lapse in judgment but also secretly it does sound really awesome. Just a fuckin TS10 and a Klon, got some mods, made out of some pretty good parts, I dunno, gently caress, my Soul Food doesn't sound anywhere near as good wtf

I really enjoyed playing guitar today though. Worked on some fun riffs, dialed in my Grand Canyon to act like a harmonizer, uh... Fulltone st-2 is the best drat tremolo I ever heard, but I use it with synths in stereo not guitar. When I heard the news I found one for $149 and now people want like $400 for them, but it sounds really truly great. I think I like the older ST-2 better than the newer ST-2v2 because it is less choppy, more throb to it. The newer one can get a lot more staccato and when used as an autopanner it will truly pan full left and right more obviously, older ST-2 still has some signal at each wave's troughs. Doesn't matter much now unless you're buying second hand since Fulltone is fully donezo but I'm glad I got some stereo poo poo for my synths before prices exploded. :shrug: I guess I could put it on a guitar track too some day.

Stalizard that is a dope SG, looks awesome, glad you got it :) Dr. F I dig your epi Les Paul too, that is a slick one.

muike posted:

I keep finding out how lucky i am i couldn't stand TGP or wherever the cork sniffers liked most

I've had some good interactions with people on there, there are some helpful folks but it definitely is big on consumption. I dunno, I have lost any credibility to talk poo poo on anyone or anything, I am just grateful that I don't do coke or gamble, instead I like guitar pedals.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
here's a recording of one of the early solo pieces from Modern Method for Guitar, "Second Solo": https://vocaroo.com/1hnidU65DNHH

i really love these, they're so melodic and the accompaniment is chromatic / complex enough to hold my interest