Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Smythe posted:

by god if we put a man on the moon we can close some dang ol traffic lanes and put a trolley on it. i believe in us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

best I can do is a sled you drive your car onto that carries it from the convention center to the other convention center and also doesn’t actually exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Current orthodoxy in the US is that at-grade trolleys/trams are "not modern" despite the fact that they operate everywhere in Europe.

We used to have this:

now it's just cars backed up getting on the Fort Pitt Bridge all day.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
hating cars is cringe because _________

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Jestery posted:

Enjoy my local Bikeway that allows me easy access to the city faster than any other mode except maybe helicopter

looks good, which cycleway is that?

BeeSeeBee
Oct 25, 2007

Gross.
Fixed.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Lol

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

BeeSeeBee posted:

Gross.
Fixed.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

cowboy beepboop posted:

looks good, which cycleway is that?

North Brisbane Bikeway

https://youtu.be/Q_avxoAeisg

I do this ride atleast weekly , it doesn't end where the video does either, it continues to a main rail hub , and a similar Bikeway south

It's so close to being a connected network, but you know how carbrain and politics works

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BeeSeeBee posted:

Gross.
Fixed.

Haha

mystes
May 31, 2006

BeeSeeBee posted:

Gross.
Fixed.

One weird trick to get americans to ride rail

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Sphyre posted:

just a heads up for lobster shirt

You know how pedestrians are scared of crossing lanes because driving a car makes people stupid.
Nine lanes. That amount of lanes makes me fearful IN A CAR!
This is 8 lanes

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 06:02 on Sep 19, 2022

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Current orthodoxy in the US is that at-grade trolleys/trams are "not modern" despite the fact that they operate everywhere in Europe.

We used to have this:

now it's just cars backed up getting on the Fort Pitt Bridge all day.

If you mean mixed traffic street cars, they aren't, most of the (good) tram systems have dedicated right of way outside of small sections, minimal mixed traffic. It's useful to be able to do it for short sections to get through otherwise tricky junctions though I guess.

See pages 24 and 25 of this doc. The Bordeaux one is excellent and goes through a huge historic city centre using innovative tram designs, other cities have no excuse. https://www.urbantransportgroup.org/system/files/general-docs/LRTfrenchcomparisonsreport.pdf

Also check out the minimum frequencies of the French ones. All <= 10 minutes, that's what makes them so usable! You can always just turn up.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

25:00 to 45:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ext1k9zy4gw

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, you could also just turn street car tracks into transit lanes and solve the issue.

The problem with LA it is absolutely massive and the improvements that are being made are small scale in comparison to the size of the metro area, and being done at such a slow pace it just isn’t making that much impact on the region as a whole needs. More people are using transit but it is very much considered a second-class way to travel.

Also LA especially has a lot of its light rail next to or between freeways which makes it extremely noisy (I am surprised there hasn’t been a lawsuit), and uncomfortable. In addition, even newer lines like the Expo line doesn’t have signal priority so you literally have a train going from street light to street light. There has been talk about improving signaling but the car is very much king there.

The Bay Area isn’t much better, the Caltain is ridiculously expensive for normal people and the BART isn’t much better. The BART especially is showing its age, and they have let stations and trains deteriorate

I could go across US systems, but there is rarely good news and if anything it seems like there has been tendency towards backsliding. Denver was suppose to be a success story but barely anyone is using their new lines because how they designed them.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 09:09 on Sep 19, 2022

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My uneducated opinion is that we shouldn't be trying to build transit for all of sprawled America. We should be trying to rebuild urban cores. If people want to drive in from wherever, it's not like that can be stopped, but don't design the city to facilitate it.

I don't know what this would look like in LA, but start somewhere and people will probably like it.

Ideally you would have an urban metro alongside a suburban commuter rail system. Sort of like the Paris metro and the Paris RER. Of course, if you want a successful suburban rail network you also need to invest in the bus network, because most people aren't going to live within walking distance of a train station. So investing in rail travel becomes pointless if most people can't get to and from the stations.

A pretty big problem American cities have is that they transition straight from super dense urban cores to super low dense suburbs. Investing in "missing middle" housing would help increase density outside urban cores without introducing the problems associated with living in one. But in a lot of America zoning laws literally make that illegal.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Suburbanites are so committed to their lifestyle that they'll not only shoot down commuter rail in their own communities but also transit/zoning reform in the city itself. My hope is that if you fix the city itself, it'll be such a disincentive for suburban commuters that they might have to reconsider their lifestyle. It's only possible in the first place because cities cater to it.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Suburbanites are so committed to their lifestyle that they'll not only shoot down commuter rail in their own communities but also transit/zoning reform in the city itself. My hope is that if you fix the city itself, it'll be such a disincentive for suburban commuters that they might have to reconsider their lifestyle. It's only possible in the first place because cities cater to it.

Yeah, urban cores need to become actively hostile towards autos from the suburbs.

Apr 7, 2003

Greatbacon posted:

Yeah, urban cores need to become actively hostile towards autos from the suburbs.

Suburbanites around here are convinced that they're the only reason the city exists.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If your suburbs don't consist of soulless concrete blocks and trees, I think you've done suburbs wrong.

e: And parking lots. I forgot about the parking lots.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

One example of this was the amalgamation of Toronto in Canada. The city of Toronto, a dense downtown core and its relatively dense adjacent neighbourhoods, was merged with five surrounding low-density suburbs to form one massive municipality, which has had the effect of substantially diluting the votes of dense urban residents with the votes of suburban residents, and has severely set back the city's investment in public transit and dense neighbourhoods. The suburbanites want low taxes so they aren't supporting urban services they don't use (ironic, since the urban core tends to generate substantially more tax revenue than the suburbs), and they want investment in car infrastructure like urban highways because that's the transportation infrastructure they actually make use of when driving to work or to urban amenities.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also commuter rail in the US is usually almost unusable unless you specifically need to go to a CBD during rush hour, have a car to take to the station, and are willing to pay $6-10 dollars a ticket.

The US really doesn’t have anything like a RER or S-Bahn.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

vyelkin posted:

One example of this was the amalgamation of Toronto in Canada. The city of Toronto, a dense downtown core and its relatively dense adjacent neighbourhoods, was merged with five surrounding low-density suburbs to form one massive municipality, which has had the effect of substantially diluting the votes of dense urban residents with the votes of suburban residents, and has severely set back the city's investment in public transit and dense neighbourhoods. The suburbanites want low taxes so they aren't supporting urban services they don't use (ironic, since the urban core tends to generate substantially more tax revenue than the suburbs), and they want investment in car infrastructure like urban highways because that's the transportation infrastructure they actually make use of when driving to work or to urban amenities.

We have the opposite in metro Atlanta, where white flight assholes keep moving farther and farther from the city while still insisting on car commuting. And more recently, rich communities have used cityhood and secession movements to try to form their own residential enclaves at the municipal level. Bunch of leaches.

mystes
May 31, 2006

In the us one of the other problems is that state DOTs, which tend to only care about car throughput, will override cities, especially on any major roads going through cities that are under state control.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Also commuter rail in the US is usually almost unusable unless you specifically need to go to a CBD during rush hour, have a car to take to the station, and are willing to pay $6-10 dollars a ticket.

Isn't LIRR a little like that? I might be misunderstanding. Or is that very commuter focussed too

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

distortion park posted:

Isn't LIRR a little like that? I might be misunderstanding. Or is that very commuter focussed too

I would say the issue with the LIRR is that it terminates at Penn station rather than acts as more of a full features transit network, and also off-peak service is still pretty low and the system is only partially electrified.

S-bahn/RER basically acts like an overground metro system with more spacing between stations. That said, I guess the LIRR has largely capped tickets now which is certainly an improvement.

Certainly, the LIRR/Metro-North are much more robust systems than you see in most of the US which often have no non-peak service to speak.

-----------------------

A lot of the reason car culture is supreme in the US is that are simply few alternatives. Canada is trying a little more.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:46 on Sep 19, 2022

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

distortion park posted:

the LIRR, Metro North, and PATH are all commuter dominated, in part because the areas they serve themselves have poor public transit to/from the stations

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

webcams for christ posted:

the LIRR, Metro North, and PATH are all commuter dominated, in part because the areas they serve themselves have poor public transit to/from the stations

Yeah, in nearly everywhere on earth, public transportation systems are designed to service the public as a whole. In the US, it is just about managing traffic.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
New Jersey actually has a handful of towns with nice direct rail access to NYC. Orange, South Orange, West Orange, Maplewood, etc... the rail runs right through the town and it's actually possible to walk to the stations from your home, which is absurdly rare in the united states

check it out... a rail line that gets you to manhattan in 20 minutes, which isn't cut off from the town itself! there are houses, businesses, and restaurants on the same street!!
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7315728,-74.2756988,3a,65.2y,183.08h,91.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEHyzd8UoEeyGj1t-jBr9hA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

(NJ also realizes how valuable this is, and property taxes in those areas are absolutely absurd - much higher than in nyc itself)

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 19:12 on Sep 19, 2022

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Ardennes posted:

I lived in Munich one summer and I walked to the subway that I took to the S-Bahn that took me to the bus that took me to work. It was great and I never once wished I had a car. I slept on the S-Bahn both ways everyday both ways and somehow never missed my stop.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Holy poo poo I never understood bad public transportation until I spent this last weekend in Chicago.

I thought new England was tough some times but holy poo poo lol

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
that nurse who killed six people with her Mercedes has once again made the LA Times front page about struggling with bipolar disorder and what not and an episode happening before the crash

imagine the media going to these lengths to exculpate a loving mass shooter

Apr 7, 2003

BeeSeeBee posted:

Gross.
Fixed.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

500excf type r posted:

Holy poo poo I never understood bad public transportation until I spent this last weekend in Chicago.

chicago has the second-best public transit in the country. (unfortunately "the country" is the united states)

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

500excf type r posted:

I thought new England was tough some times but holy poo poo lol

Chicago's public transport is among the best in the country lol

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's funny how many hiking trail reviews/comments on AllTrails insist you'll need a truck or SUV to navigate service roads and get to trailheads. I have always managed just fine in a small sedan. They'll come up with whatever justification they need.

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

BeeSeeBee posted:

Gross.
Fixed.

:golfclap:

e: can threads be given custom background images?

an actual frog has issued a correction as of 20:40 on Sep 19, 2022

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

joining the line to marvel at the guy who apparently lives in the US but has seen so little of the country that Chicago public transit seems bad, we should all be so lucky

mystes
May 31, 2006

This isn't quite as good as the guy who bought a truck without consulting his wife but I guess it will probably turn into that within another couple months

Apr 7, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's funny how many hiking trail reviews/comments on AllTrails insist you'll need a truck or SUV to navigate service roads and get to trailheads. I have always managed just fine in a small sedan. They'll come up with whatever justification they need.

The responses to that are amazing, including one guy shrieking at her that she shouldn't be making financial demands of the man she's having a third child with, and another post saying she should have asked herself if she could afford a third child before getting pregnant instead of expecting her husband to downsize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

New Jersey actually has a handful of towns with nice direct rail access to NYC.

yeah I hesitated to name NJ Transit with the other nyc regional train systems. I went to high school in Jersey in a town on the Raritan Valley line.

there are a number of problems though. property tax is definitely one, but there isn't great housing supply and prices are not really feasible for a huge portion of workers. the trains are very infrequent outside of commuting hours, and NJ Transit is in a constant state of budget / management crisis, thanks to the reliably lovely state governors