Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Our first blender has an extra long cord and was manufactured before safety fuses :lol:

Is Beth going to gently caress herself? Beth is going to gently caress herself, isn't she :ohdear:

I'm feeling the realistic FF7 Buster Sword :cloud:

San Junipero callout, :nice:

loving loving that Rick said 'deus ex husbanda' instead of 'husband ex machina'.

Literal laugh out loud when they smash cut downstairs to the kids listening to that conversation.

Thread response is nuts, this is a good fuckin' R&M episode.

TerminalRaptor posted:

I will admit, I did get a belly laugh when they cut back to the kids during the bedroom scene.

:hfive:

It's like in that courtroom transcript reading where right in the middle of the judge and defendant screaming profanities at each other they cut to a drawing of the court recorder with a 1000 yard stare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
But Jerry didn't kill himself when they actually separated.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Jesus, can Rick not invent a soundproof dome or something, that's like 1960s sci fi. Did he just want his grandkids to suffer?

Macatt
May 3, 2005
Literal lols for me as well from the quick cuts to Morty taking out the trash and Summer at the dinner table.

Jerry had some great moments. Retreading through his insecurities and their marriage turmoils could've felt like a regression of their character arcs, but it played out smartly.

The game console's famous realism being about the mundaneness of real life (or real life in a vampire world) rather than mind-blowing graphics was solid.

Very strong episode overall. Morty being thankful for the Discovery Channel was rather jarring though.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

live with fruit posted:

But Jerry didn't kill himself when they actually separated.

He admits at the end of the ep that he wouldn't have done it.

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

Jesus, can Rick not invent a soundproof dome or something, that's like 1960s sci fi. Did he just want his grandkids to suffer?

Every meal be like

apowe posted:

The game console's famous realism being about the mundaneness of real life (or real life in a vampire world) rather than mind-blowing graphics was solid.

And level 10 realism space is flying in a direction for literally years to get to the next thing.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's the return of Kickpuncher!

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

Takes No Damage posted:

And level 10 realism space is flying in a direction for literally years to get to the next thing.

In Only You Can Save Mankind by Terry Pratchett there is a character who develops a game called "Journey to Alpha Centauri", it's just a spaceship travelling through a featureless void for 3000 years before arriving at a dot, then you get a message saying "Welcome to Alpha Centauri, now go home!"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Every smash cut to Morty and Summer was superb.

And the text adventure is maybe the best TV bit they've done.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 19, 2022

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I don't like Sex Master Jerry

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Skippy McPants posted:

Every smash cut to the Morty and Summer was superb.

And the text adventure is maybe the best TV bit they've done.
Yeah, that was great. This episode was weird and uncomfortable but I felt it executed really well and was overall pretty great! I mean, it’s basically Beth learning to love herself, which is really wholesome, but there are two of them and they’re in love with each other, so it’s literal. The conversations Summer and Morty have are great, the smash cut to Rick and the kids at the dinner table while what’s going on upstairs is…going on. Great. Of course Jerry likes getting cucked by Space Beth. But he owes his Dad an apology.

The stinger was gold too.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The post credit scene calling back to jerry going to jerry day care to "play" with other jerry's complete is back alley jerry hook up was just just dark.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
jesus christ i hated everything about this episode

in a good way

10/10, especially the smash cuts and the post-credits stinger

"thank you" "okay!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ups_rail posted:

The post credit scene calling back to jerry going to jerry day care to "play" with other jerry's complete is back alley jerry hook up was just just dark.

The "pay off" to the hook up was hilarious :v:

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

So did Jerry have a threesome with Beths or did he just jerk off/get off to the idea of the two of them hooking up without him?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yes.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

So did Jerry have a threesome with Beths or did he just jerk off/get off to the idea of the two of them hooking up without him?

Jerry was riding a hoverboard around the room as he was getting cucked by Space Beth.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

In Only You Can Save Mankind by Terry Pratchett there is a character who develops a game called "Journey to Alpha Centauri", it's just a spaceship travelling through a featureless void for 3000 years before arriving at a dot, then you get a message saying "Welcome to Alpha Centauri, now go home!"

https://youtu.be/2LtiHla1dNg

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Beth and Jerry discovering kink and it saving their marriage isn't something I knew I wanted, but I'm glad it happened

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Judging by the sounds of things: Started as one, turned into the other, and may have reversed which of the married pair was sitting things out by the end.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Brigadier Sockface posted:

If Jerry was anything but Jerry, he would have cooked up a threesome by now

I feel like at some point there has to be a reveal that this Jerry is the ultimate Jerry.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Was the implication at the end w/ Rick putting away that wine while also destroying the controller for it is that it's a horny potion or something that he left out so what happened happens and their marriage dissolves?

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Rick saying he will get high and play video games is the absolutely correct response to this situation. I do appreciate that they really want to escape reality for a while, but every game they play is trying to be super realistic for the most part.

This is all starting to give me later season Simpsons vibes. How many marriage issues can these two (three?) go through before I just start skipping these episodes?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TheFattestPat posted:

This is all starting to give me later season Simpsons vibes. How many marriage issues can these two (three?) go through before I just start skipping these episodes?

The marriage B-plots are not my favorite, but we see waaaay fewer of them these days. Seasons one and two had marriage B-plots almost every other episode.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Waffleopolis posted:

Did I hear Morty right when he was begging Discovery Channel to kill him during that scene?

Holy spit take. I was confused by the Discovery Channel reference and didn't realize it was a 4th wall joke.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

e: eh

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 19, 2022

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I thought it was more Rick (who all episode had been saying 'I don't care I'm not affected by this') having a delayed version of the same reaction Morty and Summer did.

e: also starting to think we're going to get teased with 'I'll fix the portal gun next week' all season.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 19, 2022

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Hah, I was thinking of this too. Peak realism that the bus has lovely alignment and constantly pulls to the right, so you're constantly having to steer even on straightaways.

This was a fun episode but felt like missed opportunities with the B-plot. Interdimensional GamePass could have been way more exciting and random, but I felt like the games we saw were pretty tame compared to the off-the-wall insanity of Interdimensional Cable.

The World Inferno posted:

Was the implication at the end w/ Rick putting away that wine while also destroying the controller for it is that it's a horny potion or something that he left out so what happened happens and their marriage dissolves?

I wondered about this too, but there are other bottles in there too, and I thought one of the Beths had a line about how she knew the other Beth would like that particular kind of wine. I dunno!

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

The World Inferno posted:

I think it was more the cliche, "bad things happen every time we drink this specific drink" (Do you have a friend who refuses to drink tequila for that reason?) so we're just going to hide it and never drink it again. You'll notice there was the Meeseeks box in there as well.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

TerminalRaptor posted:

Holy spit take. I was confused by the Discovery Channel reference and didn't realize it was a 4th wall joke.

It took me a moment to realize what he was saying but it got the biggest laugh out of me this episode.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Idgi the Discovery Channel joke.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Elentor posted:

Idgi the Discovery Channel joke.

The new CEO of Warner Bros. is also the CEO of Discovery Channel and has basically been on a murder spree against most HBO Max and WB programming. He's big on reality TV and possibly only wanted the merger so he could take control of CNN as he's also a Trumpian. Cartoons are some of the hardest hit of the projects he's killed, including pulling a bunch of finished series just so he doesn't have to pay residials.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I thought Morty just blurted it out in response to some rather intrusive thoughts because they show animals doing it on the discovery channel

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mokinokaro posted:

The new CEO of Warner Bros. is also the CEO of Discovery Channel and has basically been on a murder spree against most HBO Max and WB programming. He's big on reality TV and possibly only wanted the merger so he could take control of CNN as he's also a Trumpian. Cartoons are some of the hardest hit of the projects he's killed, including pulling a bunch of finished series just so he doesn't have to pay residials.

I'd never have gotten any of that on my own so thanks a lot for the context.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don't really know if that was the intent of the joke since all that went down well after this episode was most likely completed.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't really know if that was the intent of the joke since all that went down well after this episode was most likely completed.

Yeah, that's not clear. Season 4 had a quick turnaround with a line about COVID though, so it might be possible with a last minute edit. It really depends on what their production process is like.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Amazing episode, definitely my favorite of the season so far, may be one of my favs of the show period

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Wasn’t Morty saying he was thankful for the Discovery Channel?

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Phenotype posted:

I wondered about this too, but there are other bottles in there too, and I thought one of the Beths had a line about how she knew the other Beth would like that particular kind of wine. I dunno!

I was also confused about the bottle and secret cabinet scene. I thought the implication was that Rick engineered what had happened too, but that was also confusing because I don't understand why that's important unless it's just confirming that all that poo poo happened because Rick wanted it to because he's a dick.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

InfiniteZero posted:

I was also confused about the bottle and secret cabinet scene. I thought the implication was that Rick engineered what had happened too, but that was also confusing because I don't understand why that's important unless it's just confirming that all that poo poo happened because Rick wanted it to because he's a dick.

Rick's a drunk who's done a lot of poo poo under the influence. He recognized what was going on with his daughters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, I'm assuming it was just a "Never drinking X again" joke.

Also how quickly Morty forgot that vampires are real. The no more Dr. Ackulas policy really worked.