Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Nenonen posted:

Why should we try to guess about something that is still so far from realising that we have no way of predicting a single thing about it?

Because it's a lot more interesting than splitting hairs over the holocaust? And perhaps relevant to the current counter offensives Ukraine is waging. It's a dead news cycle and we clearly wanna talk about something so it might as well be relevant to the actual conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kraftwerk posted:

Will Russia actually end hostilities if Ukraine pushes them out of its territory? Like if the pre 2022 borders are restored with the DNR/LNR evicted or if pre 2014 borders are restored what is the end game?

If I were to guess my own view is there will be some kind of new "colder" conflict similar to Israel and Palestine. With Ukraine controlling its territory the Russians will just engage in ongoing missile attacks on holidays, random occasions etc and Ukraine will need something like the Iron Dome to prevent the Russians from keeping Ukraine's economy from functioning properly.

Presumably once Russia has been completely evicted and Ukraine has "won", they will likely get, if not full NATO membership immediately, then at least some sort of security agreement which would include US troops based in Ukraine. Once we have soldiers there and a legal obligation to defend them, that should be it.

Its not really possible right now with a hot shooting war going on against a nuclear power, but once they are pushed out, there's going to be a lot of talk about security guarantees for Ukraine.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kraftwerk posted:

Because it's a lot more interesting than splitting hairs over the holocaust? And perhaps relevant to the current counter offensives Ukraine is waging. It's a dead news cycle and we clearly wanna talk about something so it might as well be relevant to the actual conflict.

Can we decide to not do either? Clancychat is not a better alternative to WW2 chat.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

Will Russia actually end hostilities if Ukraine pushes them out of its territory? Like if the pre 2022 borders are restored with the DNR/LNR evicted or if pre 2014 borders are restored what is the end game?

If I were to guess my own view is there will be some kind of new "colder" conflict similar to Israel and Palestine. With Ukraine controlling its territory the Russians will just engage in ongoing missile attacks on holidays, random occasions etc and Ukraine will need something like the Iron Dome to prevent the Russians from keeping Ukraine's economy from functioning properly.

Is Ukraine Israel and Russia Palestine in your analogy because uh

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Nenonen posted:

Can we decide to not do either? Clancychat is not a better alternative to WW2 chat.

So is the clancychat rule specifically designed to limit speculation to short term strategic movements and outcomes because of how unpredictable war is?

Up until a couple weeks ago this entire offensive was clancychat. The goalposts keep moving.

KillHour posted:

I wouldn't read much further into it. I was just looking for an example of a situation where a country needs to deal with missile attacks without having a fullscale hot war all the time.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

KillHour posted:

It's not a moral parallel, but we're moving towards a place where Russia's willingness to fight outstrips their capacity to actually do so.

The difference is the Palestinians are backed into a corner and Russia can stop any time. Eventually something in the Russian government will give. But there will be a long-term tensions from Russian revanchism and bitterness. It'll be more like India and Pakistan than Israel and Palestine.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kraftwerk posted:

So is the clancychat rule specifically designed to limit speculation to short term strategic movements and outcomes because of how unpredictable war is?

Up until a couple weeks ago this entire offensive was clancychat. The goalposts keep moving.

Well let's then discuss your guess. Cool guess... I guess?

What else can be said? We don't know when the last Russian troops are forced to retreat from Ukraine, it could be this year or it could be ten years from now. With that we don't know what sort of political-economical circumstances are in place.

That is very different from speculating about immediate future operations.

We could instead be talking about important current events in real world:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1571776464877502464

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

From the responses, it sounds like you always need to take this guy's tweets with a big grain of salt. It would be nice if Ukraine keeps advancing, though.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Kraftwerk posted:

I wouldn't read much further into it. I was just looking for an example of a situation where a country needs to deal with missile attacks without having a fullscale hot war all the time.

I think the clancychat rule bans speculation on nuclear war or events that could be reasonably expected to lead to nuclear war, because of how unlikely it is and the pointless long arguments it could cause.

I do think that wondering "ok, if Ukraine wins, then what next" is probably not clancychat, but I also agree its probably pretty far into the future. Also, the answer to "what next" is probably simple and boring; there will likely be discussions about real, meaningful security agreements to prevent a resumption of the war which could possibly include NATO membership, but something would probably be agreed to even if it is short of NATO membership. The western world is not going to spend a ridiculously huge amount of money rebuilding Ukraine without first making sure that the poo poo that gets rebuilt is not just immediately re-blown up.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Eric Cantonese posted:

From the responses, it sounds like you always need to take this guy's tweets with a big grain of salt. It would be nice if Ukraine keeps advancing, though.

Former SEAL Team Six Squadron Leader, NYT Best Selling Author, Conflict Correspondent, Husband, Dad, Hollywood Screenwriter and Epic Snowboarder.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Because the answer for what comes next is always "the stupidest poo poo imaginable," the end game for the war will probably be Russia asserting control over a 500 ft wide smoldering crater in Bilovodsk and they keep trying to sneak a construction crew over the border to build an administrative office there.

Hey, it's just as valid as any other theory.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Kraftwerk posted:

My view is that it's to prevent arguments between two towering stacks of suppositions and theorycraft about far future events drowning out discussion of current events, in this, a current events thread.

IMO I don't think possible offensives are clancychat as long as you provide even a drat smidgen of evidence thereof. People discussed the upcoming Kherson offensive a bunch late August, and Perun noted there was at least some evidence of a Kharkiv buildup noted by Russian warbloggers; but sadly, goons got taken by surprise just as hard as the 1st GTA.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 19, 2022

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

FishBulbia posted:

Former SEAL Team Six Squadron Leader, NYT Best Selling Author, Conflict Correspondent, Husband, Dad, Hollywood Screenwriter and Epic Snowboarder.

He sounds so dreamy. :allears:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Alchenar posted:

This is mostly to mock anyone who ever cited Michael Tracey approvingly, but he's currently doing a 'Actually US and British entry into WW2 was an escalation that forced Hitler to do a genocide'

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1571653737705517056

LMFAO I've only been off Twitter for about six months and Tracey has already gone from "complete idiot almost everyone laughs at" to "some species of eusocial animals have more intelligence".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

My view is that it's to prevent arguments between two towering stacks of suppositions and theorycraft about far future events drowning out discussion of current events, in this, a current events thread.

IMO I don't think possible offensives are clancychat as long as you provide even a drat smidgen of evidence thereof. People discussed the upcoming Kherson offensive a bunch late August, and Perun noted there was at least some evidence of a Kharkiv buildup noted by Russian warbloggers; but sadly, goons got taken by surprise just as hard as the 1st GTA.
Yeah I think it just minimizes derailings into pointless speculation. The GBS war thread is back though, so if anyone wants to discuss how many tanks it will take to capture Moscow, meet me there.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

This guy is very often full of poo poo, and very loudly to boot.

Same for that Michael MacKay guy who sometimes gets posted here. With him I’m not even convinced he’s mentally stable.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

I’ve got very, very little patience for that sort of holocaust denialism/blame shifting bullshit.

Please point out the specific sentences doing that.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Germany being helpful:
https://mobile.twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1571871164280016903

(. . I guess they just have a hangup on IFVs and tanks?)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I'd also like to remind that this is a current affairs thread. If you want to discuss something long past, or not very likely to happen reasonably soon, you better have a good reason to do so. “I am bored” is an example to the contrary – perhaps the worst of them all. The reason for the specific thread direction, much like, e.g., the rules prohibiting speculation about a nuclear war, WW3, and Clancychat, is to prevent frequently unfalsifiable theorycrafting and relitigation of historical pet peeves.

There also seems to be more confusion than I would expect to be on what I consider Clancychat. To me, Clancychat is any conversation on military particulars that is removed from the currently observed events by either a significant passage of time, or a lengthy chain of assumptions. What counts as current, significant, or lengthy here I leave to my discretion on an individual basis.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08
I was confused why this is happening all week while the front across from Bakhmut is collapsing:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1571702341933350914

Attacking a strong point seems like a bad use of resources desperately needed a relatively short distance away. Plus with Izium lost and Lyman in danger of being flanked, even if they could take it there is little point in creating a salient into the Ukrainian lines that would then have to be defended. Why not move those forces over to block the Ukrainian advance into their flanks?

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1571847843882700800

ooof.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/Suriyakmaps/status/1571861895941918725

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1571884155788484612

Alas

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Please point out the specific sentences doing that.

It was a reference to Michael Tracey, I have no idea what the poster I responded to really meant, but it had the air of saying, “well actually post Wansee camps were much worse,” which could be read as support for Michael Tracey’s position; however, let me make this clear…

That comment you are quoting was not directed at the poster, but directed at Michael Tracey’s “you see the United States caused the holocaust by going to war with Germany.”

I thought that was obvious, if it wasn’t my apologies.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 19, 2022

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

OddObserver posted:

Germany being helpful:
https://mobile.twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1571871164280016903

(. . I guess they just have a hangup on IFVs and tanks?)

I wonder if it's a fear of their modern equipment being captured.

Artillery (especially self propelled) sits far behind the lines, and Russia's not been able to make any rapid progress that would put them in jeopardy of falling into Russian hands. Whereas armor directly on the front, well, we have seen Russia able to capture a few Ukrainian tanks/apcs.

Mind you I don't think there's any genuine secrets encased within the Leopard II (If there were it'd be posted to the warthunder forums by now anyways lol), but it could make germany "look bad" to see a Leopard being pulled by a Russian T-80.

[FakeEdit] Right as I'm about to hit POST, it occurs to me that this could be Germany's "Escalation red line" and they've let Russia know. "If you escalate, we start handing over Marders and Leopards".

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

It was a reference to Michael Tracey, I have no idea what the poster I responded to really meant, but it had the air of saying, “well actually post Wansee camps were much worse,” which could be read as support for Michael Tracey’s position; however, let me make this clear…

That comment you are quoting was not direct at the poster, but directed at Michael Tracey’s “you see the United States caused the holocaust by going to war with Germany.”

I thought that was obvious, if it wasn’t my apologies.

I see. Yeah, I couldn’t clearly tell myself your post wasn’t pointed at Rust’s, but it’s all good.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 19, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Doccers posted:

Artillery (especially self propelled) sits far behind the lines, and Russia's not been able to make any rapid progress that would put them in jeopardy of falling into Russian hands. Whereas armor directly on the front, well, we have seen Russia able to capture a few Ukrainian tanks/apcs.

Mind you I don't think there's any genuine secrets encased within the Leopard II (If there were it'd be posted to the warthunder forums by now anyways lol), but it could make germany "look bad" to see a Leopard being pulled by a Russian T-80.

[FakeEdit] Right as I'm about to hit POST, it occurs to me that this could be Germany's "Escalation red line" and they've let Russia know. "If you escalate, we start handing over Marders and Leopards".

I think it's more that there's a general feeling among Western suppliers that what Ukraine has now is enough to beat the Russians. They just need to supply more of what's already there.

They seem to have decided that upgrading to full NATO gear can wait until after the war is done when it can be accomplished at a more leisurely pace.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

I think it's more that there's a general feeling among Western suppliers that what Ukraine has now is enough to beat the Russians. They just need to supply more of what's already there.

They seem to have decided that upgrading to full NATO gear can wait until after the war is done when it can be accomplished at a more leisurely pace.

This would be a more reasonable explanation if Germany hadn't been denying transfers when the outcome was in doubt.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Doccers posted:

Germany is still involved in "Ringtausch"-attempts. Latest news was that the Marders are finally going to... some other NATO-country, which then supplies BMP-1s to Ukraine. A similar thing allowed the Czech Republic to supply Ukraine with more of their own heavy metal. I was reminded of this when a random news article claimed the Czechs were miffed because we were so slow in our promised NATO-gear delivery. Apparently they only recently got their first batch of replacements for poo poo they've been supplying Ukraine with for months now, :lol:

Ringtausch is a good deal for everyone involved: Tiny countries like the Czech Republic can pretend they're sending lots of gear while "secretly" getting modern replacements, and Germany can still pretend to be super-peaceful mega-pacifists. Everyone except Russia wins. :v:

Also it's too late for Germany to "look bad" because of Leopard IIs making GBS threads it, Turkey did that already when their Export-Leos got into trouble in Syria.

Honestly, we should send more Gepards. I was skeptical at first, but apparently the Ukrainians have put them to good use, e.g. there was a tweet in this very thread claiming Gepards were used in Ukrainian spearheads in their big offensive to scare off Russian airpower (and shoot down drones, I suppose).

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Morrow posted:

This would be a more reasonable explanation if Germany hadn't been denying transfers when the outcome was in doubt.

I was under the assumption that Germany is in the middle of revitalizing their armed forces; like at one point most of their Air Force was grounded for maintenance issues. It might just be that they don't/didn't really have much to send that's fully up and running - and early on in the conflict they'd be focused on protecting themselves or other NATO members on the eastern borders.

Edit: Also this ->

Libluini posted:

Ringtausch is a good deal for everyone involved: Tiny countries like the Czech Republic can pretend they're sending lots of gear while "secretly" getting modern replacements, and Germany can still pretend to be super-peaceful mega-pacifists. Everyone except Russia wins. :v:

Also it's too late for Germany to "look bad" because of Leopard IIs making GBS threads it, Turkey did that already when their Export-Leos got into trouble in Syria.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

BadOptics posted:

I was under the assumption that Germany is in the middle of revitalizing their armed forces; like at one point most of their Air Force was grounded for maintenance issues. It might just be that they don't/didn't really have much to send that's fully up and running - and early on in the conflict they'd be focused on protecting themselves or other NATO members on the eastern borders.

Our entire air force is a bit much, but at one point we were down to 2 working helicopters. And no, I didn't forget to add a zero there. :shepface:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

saratoga posted:

I was confused why this is happening all week while the front across from Bakhmut is collapsing:

Attacking a strong point seems like a bad use of resources desperately needed a relatively short distance away. Plus with Izium lost and Lyman in danger of being flanked, even if they could take it there is little point in creating a salient into the Ukrainian lines that would then have to be defended. Why not move those forces over to block the Ukrainian advance into their flanks?

ooof.

I forgot to add this in my last post, but loving :lol:, this poo poo was a solved issue in the loving 30-Years-War. "Do not use too large mercenary forces and do not give them too much command and control power" are lessons the world has known for nearly 400 years now.

But I guess sometimes you only learn the hard way, poor Russia.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

saratoga posted:

ooof.

Why is it so hard for Russia to appointment a supreme commander for the entire northern front/the zoo of different militaries? I understand that everyone prefers to run their own little fiefdom, but surely Putin can just force them to? Why do the gangster republics even have independent command at all?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Libluini posted:

Our entire air force is a bit much, but at one point we were down to 2 working helicopters. And no, I didn't forget to add a zero there. :shepface:

Germany is lucky this isn't the 1800s. It sounds like Belgium alone could have conquered the North German plain if they had wanted. :cripes:

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

Why is it so hard for Russia to appointment a supreme commander for the entire northern front/the zoo of different militaries? I understand that everyone prefers to run their own little fiefdom, but surely Putin can just force them to? Why do the gangster republics even have independent command at all?
A successful supreme commander would be an immediate threat to Putin.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

GABA ghoul posted:

they probably don't have the resources to build one, have you seen how huge those things are???

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

GABA ghoul posted:

Because consolidating that much power in one pair of hands would create a potential threat or at least an obstacle to Putin's authority, especially if it actually worked.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

the holy poopacy posted:

Because consolidating that much power in one pair of hands would create a potential threat or at least an obstacle to Putin's authority, especially if it actually worked.

Yeah, it's worth remembering Putin's been systematically killing off all the generals who were successful in Chechnya, to remove potential enemies. That should illustrate his relationship with and view of the military quite nicely.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Zhukov himself was stripped of most responsibility and kept in the backwaters due to Stalin fearing his popularity. Putin is just preempting this by preventing the very possibility of a successful general.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, it's worth remembering Putin's been systematically killing off all the generals who were successful in Chechnya, to remove potential enemies. That should illustrate his relationship with and view of the military quite nicely.

More relevant example - Donbas warlords of 2014 were frequently “involved” in a totally accidental chain of mystery explosions and weapons accidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Libluini posted:

they probably don't have the resources to build one, have you seen how huge those things are???

:golfclap: