Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished a Deathwatch Infiltrator from the Angels Penitent today! One more to go for a full combat squad which acts as the base for my Spectrus Kill-Team, because I'm a the worlds slowest and okayest painter.

Bonus close-up of some very tiny crown of thorns freehand on the skull decal for the Chapters sigil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

AndyElusive posted:

Finished a Deathwatch Infiltrator from the Angels Penitent today! One more to go for a full combat squad which acts as the base for my Spectrus Kill-Team, because I'm a the worlds slowest and okayest painter.

Bonus close-up of some very tiny crown of thorns freehand on the skull decal for the Chapters sigil:

Um. Please never call that level of painting “ok”

Frankly it denigrates the rest of us.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Meant no disrespect, just off-hand referencing a phrase from a shirt my gf got me:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lol yeah, Andy's paintjob is my goal

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Andy's photography skills are my goal

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Meant no disrespect, just off-hand referencing a phrase from a shirt my gf got me:

I need that shirt. And love the skin on that infiltrator, as well as how clean everything is.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Now that's one shirt I definitely need.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Link to the shirt for all my fellow okay painters in the house.

Also, there are a few different variations

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 19, 2022

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Is there anyone out there that does horse sized rats in 28mm scale? Preferably UK based or shipping will probably be prohibitive.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

A Librarian I painted a little while back, the first of three (maybe a fourth in Term armor) I plan to do:

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I have a ton of terrain to paint and was wondering what the consensus is on using hobby acrylics for terrain. I have primed it all black and will be blocking in a few solid colors, then dry brushing a bit.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Significantly cheaper than using citadel paint, that is for sure. Unless you need the terrain to match the exact color of your troops or whatnot, I don't see any reason not too.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Significantly cheaper than using citadel paint, that is for sure. Unless you need the terrain to match the exact color of your troops or whatnot, I don't see any reason not too.

I figured as much but I’m new so I thought it best to ask.

Thank you

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I suppose it depends. I have done the base coating of at least 20 marines now and haven't even used a quarter pot. I probably could do at least 100 before I had to start thinking about replacing the color. The only pot I've emptied so far has been texture paint citadel pots. I guess if the terrain pieces are large it can start going quick.

I hear people say the applebarrel paint is fine for terrain

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Ropes4u posted:

I have a ton of terrain to paint and was wondering what the consensus is on using hobby acrylics for terrain. I have primed it all black and will be blocking in a few solid colors, then dry brushing a bit.

Craft paint (or tester pots of house paint) are absolutely fine for terrain.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I have some 3d printed stuff that I plan on using Krylon Camo, then thinned Nuln and a drybrush

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Craft paint works better over white - but now you can top down zenithal spray some white and get an even better result.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Please don't use mini paints for terrain, just go to Walmart and buy a bunch of apple barrel/folkart paints. 2oz for $0.50, and there's so much variety that you can get experimental with your terrain color choices without breaking the bank.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Seconding this, I use craft paint or the cheaper tubes of artist acrylic paints on terrain quite a bit. Depending on what I'm doing, sometimes I'll even use them when painting up the ground or other stuff on the bases of the minis, as well.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
While nuln oil and agrax are really good, you can make some cheap terrain wash with a few drops of ink, water, flow improver/surfactant and maybe some acrylic medium. The GW washes can be used on the more focal parts of terrain, but for general use on larger poo poo, use a home made wash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IokSYHu58V8

You should have most of the ingredients in your toolkit anyway. Mix black ink with black paint to make the best covering and best flowing paint you'll ever use. It's amazing for freehand. Flow improver is nice for paints that just don't want to cooperate. Acryllic medium/glaze medium is a crucial way to thin paint without breaking it up, very useful when glazing for blends etc.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 20, 2022

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Thank you everyone. I will dry birch with the cheap paints and try to make some washes

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Ropes4u posted:

All my terrain is craft paint, and I think it turns out okay. Here's about $0.02 of it on some Zone Mortalis stuff.

Prime with black Krylon, not-so dry brush with hobby silver, while it is still a little damp, not so dry brush with brown (making sure to go different directions than the silver so it mixes and blends in spots) then mix in some orange to the brown, stipple all over the place, mix in more orange, stipple a little less, mix in more orange, stipple in fewer spots. For the concrete, get a light grey, and make three spots of it on your pallet (which is the glossy side of a cereal box for terrain) leave one as-is, put a little green in one, and a little red in the last. You want this a little watery (not quite wash) and slap the grey all over, then dab in the green and pink grey while it is still wet.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lumpy fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 20, 2022

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Lumpy posted:

All my terrain is craft paint, and I think it turns out okay. Here's about $0.02 of it on some Zone Mortalis stuff.

I will be more than happy if my terrain turns out that good.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'll have to try that concrete recipe, thanks!

Do you guys have any experience with art paints? I spotted some Windsor & Newton tubes at a bookstore the other day and I think they're a bit cheaper than miniature brands.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Depends on what tubes. Winsor & Newton Artist Oils are great for painting miniatures and making oil washes.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Oh sorry, I was thinking their acrylics specifically.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Professor Shark posted:

A Librarian I painted a little while back, the first of three (maybe a fourth in Term armor) I plan to do:

I love the highlighting, it's a good style.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Siivola posted:

Oh sorry, I was thinking their acrylics specifically.

Artist acrylics are usually significantly thicker than hobby paints so that's something to consider. Liquitex Acrylic Gouache is basically identical to hobby paints though and that's what I've been using lately.

https://youtu.be/1ixC-b_azi0

Here's good old Marco Frisoni using Liquitex Heavy Body's properties to add a rough 3d texture to Abaddon's cape.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Lumpy posted:

Prime with black Krylon, not-so dry brush with hobby silver, while it is still a little damp, not so dry brush with brown (making sure to go different directions than the silver so it mixes and blends in spots) then mix in some orange to the brown, stipple all over the place, mix in more orange, stipple a little less, mix in more orange, stipple in fewer spots. For the concrete, get a light grey, and make three spots of it on your pallet (which is the glossy side of a cereal box for terrain) leave one as-is, put a little green in one, and a little red in the last. You want this a little watery (not quite wash) and slap the grey all over, then dab in the green and pink grey while it is still wet.

That fukken rules my dude.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Siivola posted:

I'll have to try that concrete recipe, thanks!

Do you guys have any experience with art paints? I spotted some Windsor & Newton tubes at a bookstore the other day and I think they're a bit cheaper than miniature brands.

I recently got a tube of Golden heavy body Titanium White, for use primarily in drybrushing. I was looking up tutorials on how to drybrush a sort of zenithal highlight onto a mini, and one of them recommended a heavy body white acrylic paint like that, so I figured I'd give it a try. So far I've primarily used it after drybrushing a mini with "regular" white mini paint, to help smooth out any "chalky" surfaces, and it seems to work pretty well for that. I haven't tried it on its' own just yet.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Parkingtigers posted:

That fukken rules my dude.

Thanks! I absolutely _love_ building and painting terrain. It is so relaxing compared to building / painting minis.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

mllaneza posted:

I love the highlighting, it's a good style.

Thanks! I began looking at the other two I have and decided one will have the blue light emanate from his sword and the other his eyes!

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
Part way through a Skaven Doomflayer (I think it is). It's the first resin thing I've ever painted.

Believe it or not, this is it from the good side. Straight on photos are banned because the wheels are on the wonk.

Note terrible attempts at edge highlights on their cloaks. Also good to see my inability to do eyes extends to rats as well.

I also need to get hold of some brass metallic paint as well, tried mixing silver and gold but that didn't really cut it.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

Lumpy posted:

This is fantastic. Do you mind writing up how you made it?

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

X post
Looking for aesthetic advice on the missile launcher placement:
Should I put it on the first segment:

Or the second segment:

Side comparison:

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I vote second, further back, placement. No reason except vibes.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Vibes are as equally important as aesthetic imo

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
1st looks like classic termis, but I like the look of the 2nd way more.

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe

Siivola posted:

Most artist paints have at least two tiers, 'student' and 'artist' (although sometimes they are named differently). As long as you go for the higher tier ones they usually work fine, you just need to thin them properly.

Its all about pigment levels really. The higher quality paints (and miniature paints generally) have finer pigments (or just more), so they look nicer and require less coats to get good coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

The Demilich posted:

Looking for aesthetic advice on the missile launcher placement:

Can you do a mounting rail? Maybe with some hidden magnets so you can move it forward for assaulting close positions or move it back for protection/bombardment?