Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm a Suzuki man, but I kind of want one.

Then go try a DR650 and see if you still want a KLR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also lots of bottom end torque out of a big thumper is literally the easiest thing in motorcycle engineering, it is the first thing royal Enfield learned to do

Just take a 2L car engine and subtract 3 cylinders

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
How does it compare to a Honda Dominator?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone done a BMW adventure course before? Trying to plan out my 2023 downtime and I think one of the things I really want to do is an offroad riding course.

I’m in Southern Ontario, west of Toronto, and it’s surprisingly hard to find anything offroad here. Everything is about an hour and a half north of Toronto, around Barrie. Thankfully there are a few options and this one gets mentioned in a few searches I’ve done: https://www.bmwhorseshoe.com

Aside from being affiliated to BMW, I’m presuming that nothing here is actually BMW /specific/. In fact they say I can bring my own bike vs renting one of their baby GSes. I see the whole “bmw certified training course” thing thrown around a lot when I search so I guess it’s some kind of standardized curriculum they teach to? Going to ping them about their level 1 course scheduling for next year while checking out other options, but curious whether anyone has had any firsthand experience with one of these.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just noticed Kawa is doing an event on the 4th. Guess that’s when we’ll see the US ZX-4R?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

If they release it here then yes I think so. The bike at the back right definitely has sport bike looks, from what you can see.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My heart is thumping to see the 2023 MY motorcycle weather covers :swoon:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bold Old Graphics

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Also my buddy just bought a ZX-10R. We live in a city and he’s only been riding a couple seasons.

Gotta go fast I guess.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Rolo posted:

Also my buddy just bought a ZX-10R. We live in a city and he’s only been riding a couple seasons.

Gotta go fast I guess.

Crikey. Get him a GoPro for Christmas then?

What did he have before?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Started on a Honda 500, then a gixxer 600 after like 500 miles, then this after a few thousand.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

Anyone done a BMW adventure course before? Trying to plan out my 2023 downtime and I think one of the things I really want to do is an offroad riding course.

I’m in Southern Ontario, west of Toronto, and it’s surprisingly hard to find anything offroad here. Everything is about an hour and a half north of Toronto, around Barrie. Thankfully there are a few options and this one gets mentioned in a few searches I’ve done: https://www.bmwhorseshoe.com

Aside from being affiliated to BMW, I’m presuming that nothing here is actually BMW /specific/. In fact they say I can bring my own bike vs renting one of their baby GSes. I see the whole “bmw certified training course” thing thrown around a lot when I search so I guess it’s some kind of standardized curriculum they teach to? Going to ping them about their level 1 course scheduling for next year while checking out other options, but curious whether anyone has had any firsthand experience with one of these.

A friend of mine recommended these guys before. https://www.smartadventures.ca
I think they're the same outfit that that BMW group is using. They do a dual sport training course with dirt bikes in the morning and BMW ADVs in the afternoon.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh hell yeah, that's definitely up my alley. Thanks! I think the trainer is the guy that's on Adv Rider Radio podcast sometimes to boot.

e: I think that's actually the same Smart Riding the link I pasted above so sounds like I was on the right track :lol:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 19, 2022

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rolo posted:

Started on a Honda 500, then a gixxer 600 after like 500 miles, then this after a few thousand.

knox_harrington posted:

Crikey. Get him a GoPro for Christmas then?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Rolo posted:

What's his riding like? Does he just want bike big numbers good and putters around town? He'll probably be fine safety wise but he won't learn anything or become a better rider.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
He got it cause the gsxr isn’t fast enough.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

May I suggest you inform him it is he who is slow.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
He won’t listen cause I ride/enjoy a 321cc.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:rip:

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Spend some time with him while you’re still able :(

Jazzzzz posted:

Probably this, but if you like the KLR then you just like it 🤷🏼‍♂️ I have - I’m told - the worst year KLR, 2008, and it’s been a wonderful pleasant experience that has allowed me to take multiple good trips this year.

…my scrub pants leg did beat the poo poo out of the kickstand safety switch, though.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Or literally gently caress eeeeeeeverybody else in this forum and get a 690

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

GriszledMelkaba posted:

:hellyeah:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GriszledMelkaba posted:

They just aren't the same kind of thing though? Like putting aside being an intrinsically garbage bike, the only similarity is having a big single. A 690 is more like an sv or mt07 than a DR or XR.

Eg if someone liked the shadow 1100 and I said try the sportster 1100 cause it's the same kind of thing but much better, then you're saying no, try the monster 1100 because it too has an 1100cc v-twin.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Rolo posted:

But does he "mash it for real"?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah if your cappin on the mashin you’re gonna go slow

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

What is the Crab of motorcycles that all evolutions will funnel down to? a diavel?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
We're already seeing it. Parallel-twin standard with bug styling

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Acquired a Harley accessory I'm willing to bet most owners don't have.

Time to buy a Livewire.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm coming up on four weeks since I paid off the fucksticks at Yamaha Motor Finance and no sign of a title or even a lein release :argh: Hurry up, I want to buy an FJR!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phy posted:

We're already seeing it. Parallel-twin standard with bug styling

Parallel twin bug styled semi adv pseudo cafe commuter

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

They just aren't the same kind of thing though? Like putting aside being an intrinsically garbage bike, the only similarity is having a big single. A 690 is more like an sv or mt07 than a DR or XR.

Eg if someone liked the shadow 1100 and I said try the sportster 1100 cause it's the same kind of thing but much better, then you're saying no, try the monster 1100 because it too has an 1100cc v-twin.

the monster is more fun though

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Slavvy posted:

That's obviously ridiculous, they should try the scrambler 1100

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

right arm posted:

the monster is more fun though

Maybe? If you're looking for a cruiser it's no fun at all.

knox_harrington posted:

That's obviously ridiculous, they should try the scrambler 1100

Removing the one thing that bike really had going for it and replacing it with bigger number.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

18 thousand ameribux before the dealer fucks you up. Holy poo poo.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Slavvy posted:

Maybe? If you're looking for a cruiser it's no fun at all.

Removing the one thing that bike really had going for it and replacing it with bigger number.

Still better than the Harley

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

Still better than the Harley

Better how?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Rolo posted:

Having just watched a youtube "race" where the R1 rider changed gears at like 7k rpm, I'm very curious about where your friend upshifts.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Slavvy posted:

Better how?

a) it's not a harley
b) you don't need to be belligerent in every single post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How am I being belligerent wtf