Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

New Coke strategy

You (GATOS Y VATOS) may already know this one, but I love a good story, so here we go.

The New Coke thing happened because Pepsi was totally handing Coke its own rear end through a nationwide ad campaign called "The Pepsi Challenge". Pepsi, not incorrectly, realized that Americans preferred the sweeter Pepsi, and launched this campaign to convince everybody. It was simple: somebody would be at the local grocery store and invite you to take "The Pepsi Challenge". You got two little sample sizes of cola, no labels, and picked which one you liked better. People were picking Pepsi, by a significant margin.

Coke already had a sweeter product, called Diet Coke, which was very popular. So in a panic move to stem sales losses, they introduced "New Coke" which was the Diet Coke formula with a caloric sweetener. Bottlers were itching to switch to cheaper corn syrup at the time too, so that happened at the same time.

But because Coca-Cola's earlier advertising campaigns had embedded the product as part of the American Psyche, people got mega-pissed. Coke re-introduced "Coca-Cola Classic" after a month or two, with the tagline "Original Formula" (which was a lie, because the bottlers refused to go back to cane sugar, but otherwise was correct). And because of nostalgia, people bought it up like crazy.

And that, dear reader, is how Coke inadvertently launched a successful rebuttal to the Pepsi challenge, despite Americans actually preferring the taste of Pepsi. Personally, I think they both taste like cough syrup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Nah. Jagermeister tastes like cough syrup.
And yeah, corn syrup definitely does not taste as good. The difference between Dr. Pepper and “pure cane sugar” Dr. Pepper is very noticeable.
Damned corn lobby.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Got the 3 back from paint. I think it's acceptable now. And they even threw in some free tire dressing, how's that for customer service?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I love my GT500 and it certainly could be a daily driver, they can be super docile with the boosted hydraulic clutch and traction control and poo poo, but I didn't really enjoy having to daily drive it. Doesn't even have a backup cam, I missed that and built in nav pretty hard. And the 3 is just a lot more comfortable. And the 3 is loving faster (at least up to 100 mph or so) which I don't even like to admit. And it does it getting the equivalent of over 150 mpg based off current gas vs electricity prices here. Crazy.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Got the 3 back from paint. I think it's acceptable now. And they even threw in some free tire dressing, how's that for customer service?

Those tires make my kegels clench.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

cruft posted:

Those tires make my kegels clench.

https://alloygator.com/ :haw:

(I see these everywhere now)

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Is that a custom skirt?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

cruft posted:

You (GATOS Y VATOS) may already know this one, but I love a good story, so here we go.

The New Coke thing happened because Pepsi was totally handing Coke its own rear end through a nationwide ad campaign called "The Pepsi Challenge". Pepsi, not incorrectly, realized that Americans preferred the sweeter Pepsi, and launched this campaign to convince everybody. It was simple: somebody would be at the local grocery store and invite you to take "The Pepsi Challenge". You got two little sample sizes of cola, no labels, and picked which one you liked better. People were picking Pepsi, by a significant margin.

Coke already had a sweeter product, called Diet Coke, which was very popular. So in a panic move to stem sales losses, they introduced "New Coke" which was the Diet Coke formula with a caloric sweetener.

I would also note that some people really did prefer New Coke and were incredibly upset that it was discontinued. One of those people was my grandmother who had dozens and dozen and dozens of cases of New Coke in her garage that she hastily bought up when it was discontinued.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Speleothing posted:

Cool, now Ford just needs to make an EV that I want. (Ranger Ranger Ranger Ranger Ranger)

MUSHROOM MUSHROOM

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Silly Burrito posted:

MUSHROOM MUSHROOM

:golfclap:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
My loving polestar 2 won't unlock, tried two fobs and the app. It's at 84% battery. loving wtf.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Is the 12v battery dead?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
It decided to just randomly unlock after an hour

Actually just to poo poo on me completely, it unlocked as I pulled the door handle out to insert the emergency key blade

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I think they halted the 2.3 update because of stuff like that

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Papercut posted:

It decided to just randomly unlock after an hour

Actually just to poo poo on me completely, it unlocked as I pulled the door handle out to insert the emergency key blade

You should threaten to stab it more often. It will be more cooperative.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lol

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

cruft posted:

Coke already had a sweeter product, called Diet Coke, which was very popular. So in a panic move to stem sales losses, they introduced "New Coke" which was the Diet Coke formula with a caloric sweetener. Bottlers were itching to switch to cheaper corn syrup at the time too, so that happened at the same time.

But because Coca-Cola's earlier advertising campaigns had embedded the product as part of the American Psyche, people got mega-pissed. Coke re-introduced "Coca-Cola Classic" after a month or two, with the tagline "Original Formula" (which was a lie, because the bottlers refused to go back to cane sugar, but otherwise was correct). And because of nostalgia, people bought it up like crazy.

And that, dear reader, is how Coke inadvertently launched a successful rebuttal to the Pepsi challenge, despite Americans actually preferring the taste of Pepsi. Personally, I think they both taste like cough syrup.

I have literally never met one of the sociopaths that prefers Pepsi to Coke.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Pepsi's sweeter so a small 1oz taste test would hold them on top but that changes after finishing a 16oz can.

EV talk: the new Tesla update with video resizing and alternate routes is kinda nice.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

MrLogan posted:

I have literally never met one of the sociopaths that prefers Pepsi to Coke.

Head to Illinois, at least Springfield. They’re everywhere and Pepsi is not ok dammit.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I wonder how early you can get an EV9/Ioniq 7 reservation if they are apparently going to be arriving in 2H 2023. My Ioniq 5 is supposedly going to be arriving by then, laff. I'd like to just move my reservation over if that's possible.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
Yea!

Oh, two months to ship it which I assume is going to be delayed.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/volvo-ex90-ev-suv-debut-safety/

Really interesting to see if they have a full on preproduction model ready for pictures. The renders look too concept-car-ish

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Now that I know what I'm looking for, I see EVs everywhere. Saw one of the Volvos a couple days ago, saw a Polestar last night. I see i3s almost daily. Bolts are a bit more stealth but I can pick them out.

Millions of Teslas. West LA is rife with them. This isn't a bad thing, minus the whole running down children thing.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Normal Barbarian posted:

Now that I know what I'm looking for, I see EVs everywhere. Saw one of the Volvos a couple days ago, saw a Polestar last night. I see i3s almost daily. Bolts are a bit more stealth but I can pick them out.

Millions of Teslas. West LA is rife with them. This isn't a bad thing, minus the whole running down children thing.
EVs are still extremely rare around here (very red state).

Teslas show up every now and then, but anything else is basically a unicorn. I haven't seen any Leafs, Volts, Bolts, or Polestars in months. No Hyundai EVs ever. I passed a red EV6 driving on the interstate yesterday, and it really stood out because... you just don't see EVs here. Unsurprisingly, it had out-of-state plates.

I occasionally spot the new Mercedes EV models, but they're assembled near here and it wouldn't surprise me if many of those are being driven by employees.

I'm happy the world seems to be making strides toward availability and acceptance of EVs, but there's a LONG way to go here in MAGA-land.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Teslas are a dime a dozen in Reno due to proximity to CA and Gogafactory. You need the performance model and a sweet color and sweet wheels like mine if you want to stand out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Teslas are a dime a dozen in Reno due to proximity to CA and Gogafactory. You need the performance model and a sweet color and sweet wheels like mine if you want to stand out.

remind us of how gross your wheels are pls

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Had the tires rotated this morning at the dealer and they had a red EV6 about to be sold. That was pretty sharp looking. It’s like the 5th EV6 I’ve seen around here.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ok Comboomer posted:

remind us of how gross your wheels are pls

You should try and control your jealousy it’s unbecoming.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Had the tires rotated this morning at the dealer and they had a red EV6 about to be sold. That was pretty sharp looking. It’s like the 5th EV6 I’ve seen around here.

I generally don't like red cars, but the EV6's shade of red is beautiful -- it looks much better in person than it does on the Kia website. It'd be my second choice after the Gravity Blue, if I were going to buy an EV6 (which I was totally gonna).

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I haven't driven my car in a few weeks, switching from an ICE to an EV again really drives home how good they are. Such a quiet, relaxing journey to work.

Bit of a Porsche corner in the overflow car park today. I think Volcano Grey on my car is way nicer than the Agate Grey on the 911. (Also silver window trim, what were they thinking)

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
My boss just bought a Volt for his commuter, I think in part based on my experience with mine. We should start a car club.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Tesla has started selling their CCS adapter here in the US, previously only available in South Korea. https://shop.tesla.com/product/ccs-combo-1-adapter $250, supports up to 250kw of power. I don't know if any CCS station would deliver that now (the 350kw EA chargers use a higher voltage to deliver that, so would push less to a Tesla).

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

borkencode posted:

Tesla has started selling their CCS adapter here in the US, previously only available in South Korea. https://shop.tesla.com/product/ccs-combo-1-adapter $250, supports up to 250kw of power. I don't know if any CCS station would deliver that now (the 350kw EA chargers use a higher voltage to deliver that, so would push less to a Tesla).

I see the "CCS Adapter Retrofit" option appeared in the service menu on my app as well (though it says appointments won't be available till early 2023 which my default reaction to is to assume it is about as credible as Full Self Driving/robotaxis being production ready in 2019.) My Model 3 does not currently have the required control module for CCS support otherwise I would consider adding the adapter to my stash of charging supplies I keep in it.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I also need a retrofit to make the CCS work-- not really keen on doing it myself with the "bundle of wires and a board" version. Hopefully early 2023 isn't a lie.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
I had thought that the reason it wasn't released here yet was they were waiting for availability on parts for the retrofit, but on second thought I have no idea why I would think Tesla wouldn't start selling something before it was ready.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I saw one od those new Amazon Rivian vans the other day, they're pretty cool.

I also had this ugly thing follow me home.

2022 2LT, red.

It's perfect
-the new style seats are awesome 3 level heat, adjustable lumbar support
-the pedal box is HUGE and accommodates my size 14 feet well (my #2 complaint with the Leaf)
-adaptive cruise control is AWESOME, really well implemented, brakes nice and smooth, and and has big, adjustable following distance, I used it in Seattle traffic from 0-70MPH and it was flawless
-lane keep assist is stupid and pointless, as expected.
-the obligatory giant rear end infotainment screen is really nicely into the interior.
-the interior is and feels cheap, actually a little worse than the Leaf, but w/e.
-0-60 time is much faster then the Leaf.
-steering is kinda mushy and flat vs the Leaf too.

I reserved this in March, but GM's stacked a $6k of rebates on to ease the pain of this vs a 23, so it came out to about $30k flat before TTL, which is a great deal for this much car IMO.

So now my GF gets to drive this every day while I keep commuting in my Leaf until her ID.4 comes in Novemberish.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

How was dealing with Burien Chevrolet? We were just on the lot recently looking at the Bolt EUVs. We may have actually pulled the trigger had they had one that wasn't marked as sold. That's a good red.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

borkencode posted:

I had thought that the reason it wasn't released here yet was they were waiting for availability on parts for the retrofit, but on second thought I have no idea why I would think Tesla wouldn't start selling something before it was ready.

I mean it's already good to go if you have a late 2020 production Tesla or later, I don't think there's any sense to keep people waiting around for the older cars to get CCS support if the new ones can already use the adapter.

I wonder if Tesla is planning on giving up on the Tesla adapter now. I had assumed their intransigence about CCS support was due to wanting an excuse to keep the supercharger network exclusive to teslas, but now that they're opening up it makes little sense to keep going with the design that's been adopted by no other manufacturer.

I figure the whole "let's sell a CCS adapter" thing might just be an excuse to get people to pay for the cost of the upgrade now rather than waiting a few years and changing the network to use CCS adapters and being forced to do that upgrade for existing owners at cost. I'll probably be holding off on the retrofit until it's clear what Tesla's policy here is going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I mean it's already good to go if you have a late 2020 production Tesla or later, I don't think there's any sense to keep people waiting around for the older cars to get CCS support if the new ones can already use the adapter.

Nope. July 2021 here, and I need the retrofit.