Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you dig into old Irish gaming podcasts you can find someone who was under my command in Memoir '44 Overlord talking about how I always just gave him the cards he needed to do the things he wanted to do anyway. Apparently I am a super chill general. That game has mechanics for an actual, if short, chain of command though. How does Chain of Command handle it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My mate wants to play battle of Austerlitz, any of you tried and which system plays that size well?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Tias posted:

My mate wants to play battle of Austerlitz, any of you tried and which system plays that size well?

I haven't tried Blucher yet but you want something like that that's really geared towards larger battles.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Tias posted:

blucher would be perfect here i think

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Definitely blucher. unless you have an 8x12 table and an unholy amount of free hours.

In other news, my son came yesterday. Goodbye, hobby time for a while!

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Congrats, and rip free time.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Count Thrashula posted:

Definitely blucher. unless you have an 8x12 table and an unholy amount of free hours.

Congrats and welcome to the club! The first four months I’ve managed… maybe two hours of paint time?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I did a term's worth of postgrad assignments with a sleeping newborn strapped to my chest, you can probably do some nerd stuff under the guide of "bonding" and "giving your wife a break".

Congrats and good luck!

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
We're four weeks in on our first baby and some days I've been able to get tons of paint time while baby and mom nap. Other days not so much. Take the time you can.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I just paint while on calls for work. In the last 2 years I've painted around 500 minis.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Does anyone here play flames of war? Specifically WW2 late war. I've never done any historical games (despite being a huge history nerd) and some friends have taken it up. We had a simple starter game last week and it has got me hooked. Ordered a load of British tanks and the starter set.

My question for anyone who has played it, is there any real point to light scout units? It seems like, given the perfect knowledge of the battlefield, they are just lightly armed cheap guys. The Scout rule means they are gone to ground even if they moved, as long as they didn't shoot/assault. But I don't see how that makes up for bein bad at fighting - can't win games just by being harder to shoot, while not shooting yourself. Maybe it will make more sense as we incorporate more objectives.

In any case it seems like a fascinating game, quite good representation of basic tactics. I'm keen to start playing with artillery and get a handle on how to know when assaults are a good idea.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Most of those type of units have the Spearhead rule, which allows them to extend your deployment so you can position units further forward than you otherwise could

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Genghis Cohen posted:

can't win games just by being harder to shoot, while not shooting yourself. Maybe it will make more sense as we incorporate more objectives.
This is your problem. Flames of War is won and lost by controlling objectives, not by killing the other side. Scouts are a little harder to shift than regular infantry on the turn they move onto an objective, which can make the difference between surviving one turn of everything shooting at them or two. Combined with the Spearhead rule as mentioned above and their high speed this means they can make a dash for an exposed objective on the turn they arrive with a bit of clever positioning.

They also used to be able to remove Gone to Ground from an enemy unit too, but that's gone with 3rd ed and was rarely used anyway in my experience.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Endman posted:

Most of those type of units have the Spearhead rule, which allows them to extend your deployment so you can position units further forward than you otherwise could

Aha, that sounds very useful indeed actually. I will check my unit cards to see who has it.

Arquinsiel posted:

This is your problem. Flames of War is won and lost by controlling objectives, not by killing the other side. Scouts are a little harder to shift than regular infantry on the turn they move onto an objective, which can make the difference between surviving one turn of everything shooting at them or two. Combined with the Spearhead rule as mentioned above and their high speed this means they can make a dash for an exposed objective on the turn they arrive with a bit of clever positioning.

They also used to be able to remove Gone to Ground from an enemy unit too, but that's gone with 3rd ed and was rarely used anyway in my experience.

That also seems important! We haven't yet played any games with objectives and scenarios properly included, I will see how it goes.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Count Thrashula posted:

Congrats! My wife and I are 8 months into our kiddo and I'm just starting to get some hobby time back. Usually from 9:00 - 10:00 PM when they're both asleep.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Scout chat: you can do stuff like harass immobile weapons and light armor, distract units by soaking up shots, screen armored vehicles, light fire support for infantry etc. They're still a threat, even if minor, and are very cheap to field - if you can tie up 20 points of enemy attention or pin arty for a turn it's probably a favorable exchange.

The past couple years have taught me that I'm more into modelling than playing games so don't expect meta level commentary from me.

There's also a 15mm ruleset in which unit compositions are hidden until in contact, allowing scouts to effectively feint and reconnoiter. Can't remember the name of it though.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Guest2553 posted:

There's also a 15mm ruleset in which unit compositions are hidden until in contact, allowing scouts to effectively feint and reconnoiter. Can't remember the name of it though.

That’s Chain of Command I think.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

MeinPanzer posted:

That’s Chain of Command I think.

Either Chain of Command or I Ain't Been Shot Mum. Both of them have hidden deployment rules.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
The purpose of scouts is to be really annoying to have to waste firepower on to stop them shooting up your artillery.

But yeah mostly it's spearhead, gamechanger on some deployments.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Painted a couple more BT-7s:

These resin and metal tanks are quite wonky, but I find that really charming for some reason

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's a rounded charm to them alright.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How would Gothic cavalry look for Viking era Anglo Saxons?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Considering the scarcity of archaeology, there's no definitive picture of the Anglo-Saxon soldier, and there was probably a large amount of regional variation in terms of fashion. Those cavalry would probably be fine.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I'm back with more bone FoW questions! This time about artillery. Once you're ranged in, you can launch repeat bombardments on the same spot with the same unit each turn, no need to roll again, correct? There's a caveat that if your spotter can no longer see the aiming point, there's a to-hit penalty. But I can't see that you actually need to roll to range in again.

Then my next question is about assaults. Am I right that you still take armour saves for tanks/vehicles, but infantry or guns would be one team removed per failed save? This seems to make tanks quite resilient to infantry assault unless the latter are well supplies with PIATs, bazookas etc. The improvised weapons (anti-tank 2) that I had high hopes of, actually are incredibly easy to bounce off any actual tank, and even open topped vehicles tend to ignore them. Am I right? I guess the assaults still have a role in forcing non-suitable units to break off or be destroyed eventually in an attritional melee. This is what happened to us last night, my paracute platoon assaulted my mate's Hetzer spgs, and although the only damage was 1 bailed out (by the PIAT) the rest sensibly chose to break off as they are pants in assaults.

We played the bailed out vehicle as destroyed once the rest broke off (since it obviously couldn't get away from my infantry) but I'm 100% that was right.

Thanks again for all your help.

StashAugustine posted:

I've no wargaming experience in that era/setting, but from a purely historical perspective, they are close but not quite the same? The helmet shape is noticeably different. I don't know if you'd be comfortable doing head swaps on minis at that scale?

Alternatively, as said above, just roll with it. They're basically similar.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

StashAugustine posted:

They’re not that similar. If you actually care about accuracy, you’d be much better off going with Victrix’s Norman cavalry and just giving them round shields.

Endman
May 18, 2010

The “Viking Age” spans multiple centuries from the Lindisfarne raid in 793 CE to 1066, so it could encompass generations of developments in the practicality and fashion of armour.

793 is closer to the Sutton Hoo helmet, which bears a passing resemblance to those gothic helmets minus the obvious face plate, than it is to the more Norman style conical helmets with nose pieces that were probably worn by most combatants at the Battle of Stamford Bridge in 1066 for example.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
Most people wargaming the Viking period are looking at the 9th-10th c. and those figures are equipped with spangenhelms, which are generally 5th-6th c. By even the period of the earliest Viking raids spangenhelms and Sutton Hoo style helmets were outmoded.

Again, if you’re not concerned with historical accuracy, go for it; otherwise, your best bet is to go for Hastings-era Saxon warriors, which can easily be converted from Victrix’s new Norman set.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah this is for Saga which counts the Hastings era Saxons as a different faction, Anglo Danes, but yeah those guys do look a little out of period there. Head swaps are probably easier than shield swaps with those models if I had to I guess

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Victrix actually has a 20% off sale on their dark age stuff now including Saxons/Normans, by coincidence.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I like that the pound and dollar have almost reached parity yet Warlord Games still has their currency conversion set for 1.6 dollar to the pound. Cool cool cool

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

and shipping is still like 40 dollars even for one blister pack, thanks to Brexit

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Koramei posted:

Victrix actually has a 20% off sale on their dark age stuff now including Saxons/Normans, by coincidence.
Speaking of Victrix Normans, I just finished my first batch of them:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I know a long time ago people posted about Team Yankee, but is there any current preferred ruleset for modern/cold war? I'm printing up some 6mm tanks (a few T-64s and a few Leopard 2s for some West vs. East Germany action). I figure I can take those for a spin with Team Yankee, Fistfull of TOWs and maybe Cold War Commander just to see what I like best. Am I missing any good rules?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Seven Days to the River Rhine is a great beer & pretzels cold war game that works fine in 6mm. If you want to be a cheap bastard like me Wargames Illustrated has it as a free download (along with the WWII version Iron Cross) if you do their free month trial.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Ilor posted:

Speaking of Victrix Normans, I just finished my first batch of them:

These look great!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Class Warcraft posted:

I like that the pound and dollar have almost reached parity yet Warlord Games still has their currency conversion set for 1.6 dollar to the pound. Cool cool cool
Games Workshop did that from when the Euro came in until the EU made them stop. For a while it was cheaper to travel to Belfast and buy poo poo there than it was to buy it in either of the Dublin stores. You can probably guess when Warlord will change things based on this.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I worked in viking age interpretation at one of the major Danish museums and also reenacted, and I gotta say: the period is not only long as hell, but also varied wildly by region.

I *might* be able to give some pointers if given a region and year, but the conventional wisdom is "use the finds as a rough guide, because we don't have a lot to go on".

Endman
May 18, 2010

It’s really quite funny how many historical periods have their whole aesthetic in the popular imagination based on the tiniest amount of archaeology.

A couple of lads in a ditch find half a helmet and a bent axe handle and suddenly there’s twenty Osprey books filled with full colour artwork and theories on small unit tactics.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Endman posted:

It’s really quite funny how many historical periods have their whole aesthetic in the popular imagination based on the tiniest amount of archaeology.

A couple of lads in a ditch find half a helmet and a bent axe handle and suddenly there’s twenty Osprey books filled with full colour artwork and theories on small unit tactics.

One of the reasons why John Julius Norwich is my favorite nonfiction author is that he takes time in his three-volume book about the Byzantine Empire to slam the wrong assertions by hundreds of years authors including Edward Gibbons. His annoyance is palpable and hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I almost wish I could be around in 2199 to see what present day nerds would come up with after finding the remnants of dumb poo poo my friends and I tried to cover up :allears: