Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Wafflecopper posted:

Thank you. Another question: I think I saw a post saying you could equip items like the belt of strength, shield etc in different slots (I see some blank boxes in that area of my character screen) by holding the use key, but whether I tap or hold, it just subs out for whatever was in the slot the torch starts in. Did I misunderstand the post?

I think that's a different game, specifically the dev's follow-up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

PostNouveau posted:

It's also been taking control of my brain. I've been banging my head against hard mode and I don't even care that on the rare occasion I can make it to the end I get trounced by the bosses.

I feel like it might have staying power in getting wins with all the starting items. I've been trying to get my first hard win with the one that lets you pick an item, which seems like the best starting item out of the options I have.

That start is particularly fun, it's very flexible. If you've unlocked the Gem that gives you +Clarity based on how many empty slots you have, that's also a very strong way to start. Remember that if you toss that item in the Wishing Well you permanently gain the items stats in that moment. It's super common to roll an early Wishing Well and suddenly have 8-12 Clarity right away. The bonus healing from that helps a lot imo

I have one more run left on Hard for the starter item that makes rerolls cost Health instead of Souls and I have no idea what happened but suddenly it's hard as poo poo. It didn't take long at all to get a good run going and finish out the Light ending on Hard, but for some reason now I can't even get the end consistently

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Somfin posted:

I think that's a different game, specifically the dev's follow-up

Ah okay that makes sense, thanks. What are the boxes in the bottom-right of the character screen for then?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I found a saw in ACOV. "Ah-ha, finally something I can use to cut down trees!" I say.

My saw cannot cut down trees.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Wafflecopper posted:

Ah okay that makes sense, thanks. What are the boxes in the bottom-right of the character screen for then?

If I'm thinking about the same ones, those are for your two weapons, and the third one is for equipment. There are a couple of items that count as equipment - quiver, scabbard, ice crown, etc.

Also yesterday I discovered the scabbard works with projectile weapons - you can shoot arrows out of your battle axe :v:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Wafflecopper posted:

I found a saw in ACOV. "Ah-ha, finally something I can use to cut down trees!" I say.

My saw cannot cut down trees.
yeah what the hell does cut down trees anyway

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
You need enough weapon strength (the bottom number) to be able to damage them at all. It’s based on your character strength as well, while damage is based on aggression.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I think it also matters if it's a slash or blunt weapon, because the hammer can smash rocks but not cut down trees, but a hatchet or battleaxe with similar stats can cut trees but not smash rocks.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

grate deceiver posted:

I think it also matters if it's a slash or blunt weapon, because the hammer can smash rocks but not cut down trees, but a hatchet or battleaxe with similar stats can cut trees but not smash rocks.

I think but am not sure that some things require one or the other, and some things are just more resistant to one or the other.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Mithross posted:

I think but am not sure that some things require one or the other, and some things are just more resistant to one or the other.

It might even be more specific because now that I think of it, swords can't cut trees either, or at least not as easily as an axe.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

grate deceiver posted:

If I'm thinking about the same ones, those are for your two weapons, and the third one is for equipment. There are a couple of items that count as equipment - quiver, scabbard, ice crown, etc.

Nah, to the right of those, under the resists.

Had my best run so far going just now. Had upgraded my pitchfork to +3 and double freeze enchanted it, along with a decent number of other boosts to my character. Found the battering ram by a couple of big purple crystals. Grabbed it, used it to smash open one of the crystals, got a memento. Smashed the other one and instantly died. I don't even know what happened

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Those are your spell slots.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Wafflecopper posted:

Nah, to the right of those, under the resists.

Had my best run so far going just now. Had upgraded my pitchfork to +3 and double freeze enchanted it, along with a decent number of other boosts to my character. Found the battering ram by a couple of big purple crystals. Grabbed it, used it to smash open one of the crystals, got a memento. Smashed the other one and instantly died. I don't even know what happened

Spell slots.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Ooooh yeah of course. I've only found spells a couple of times so far and usually died in short order after getting them. Thanks

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Wafflecopper posted:

Found the battering ram by a couple of big purple crystals. Grabbed it, used it to smash open one of the crystals, got a memento. Smashed the other one and instantly died. I don't even know what happened

Those big spiky experience crystals shatter when broken and shoot shrapnel in random directions. They're a bit of a gamble to break in melee. Best to use a ranged or reach weapon and make sure you have decent health.

e: another tip: if you dodge while sprinting, you do a running jump that clears a lot more distance. Great for leaping over pressure plates and other traps

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 18, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

grate deceiver posted:

It might even be more specific because now that I think of it, swords can't cut trees either, or at least not as easily as an axe.

I'm sure there's a formula on a wiki somewhere, but based on my experience playing the game it seems like ultimately a high enough strength stat will let you break anything with anything but certain weapons have hidden multipliers towards damaging certain materials. Like it requires much less strength to break rocks with a hammer than with a sword or to cut down trees with an axe rather than a mace. Last run I picked up a battering ram which seemed hilarious unwieldy as an actual weapon but it let me break just about everything.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Man Veil really does not gently caress around huh. I thought Brearg's fight was chaotic but holy christ

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Mithross posted:

I know for sure that some weapons can never break rocks regardless of their Weapon Strength, and also that some objects (wooden poles for example, but also locked/magic doors) can be broken by any weapon type with enough Weapon Strength, even bows. It can sometimes vary depending on what attack you use with the weapons (and/or different attacks have different weapon strength modifiers) like for example with the dagger you can often break things by throwing it, but not by stabbing. Beyond that I haven't been able to figure out the specifics

My own question: Why am I starting new runs with NPC allies now? This has happened as both the Criminal and the Coward today, these two guys are friendly and have been helping me out (the Criminal only got one ally though)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 18, 2022

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

I know for sure that some weapons can never break rocks regardless of their Weapon Strength, and also that some objects (wooden poles for example, but also locked/magic doors) can be broken by any weapon type with enough Weapon Strength, even bows. It can sometimes vary depending on what attack you use with the weapons (and/or different attacks have different weapon strength modifiers) like for example with the dagger you can often break things by throwing it, but not by stabbing. Beyond that I haven't been able to figure out the specifics

My own question: Why am I starting new runs with NPC allies now? This has happened as both the Criminal and the Coward today, these two guys are friendly and have been helping me out (the Criminal only got one ally though)

Achievements. The bulletin board in Sanctuary will tell you which ones you've gotten, they almost all add extra starting stuff to either a specific class or everyone. One in particular has you start every run with a blood mage ally.

The Blacksmith with no strength levels can chop down trees with his hammer, I just checked.

Also yes, when you look at your weapon in the bottom right you see two sets of two numbers. They are respectively
[Primary Attack Damage ] [Secondary Attack Damage]
[Primary Attack Power] [Secondary Attack Power]

The numbers are the final total after your stats are figured in.

Edit: Basically the game is weird and obtuse and even the wiki only has like half the answers.

Mithross fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 18, 2022

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
what is the difference between "primary attack damage" and "primary attack power"

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

what is the difference between "primary attack damage" and "primary attack power"

Damage is when you hit living things, power is when you hit inanimate objects. The aggression stat raises damage and the strength stat raises power.

There's even an enchantment that makes your weapon do more and more damage but have less and less power. At max the weapon becomes unable to damage breakables period but absolutely murders enemies.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What is this ICoV I keep seeing

megane
Jun 20, 2008

In Celebration of Violence, a twinstick roguelite

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Mithross posted:

Damage is when you hit living things, power is when you hit inanimate objects. The aggression stat raises damage and the strength stat raises power.

There's even an enchantment that makes your weapon do more and more damage but have less and less power. At max the weapon becomes unable to damage breakables period but absolutely murders enemies.

That's the hollow/deathly/Veil enchantment sequence, right? I got it to max and it was dealing shitloads of damage and infecting stuff with the plague.

However it turns out that a Veil-enchanted weapon is, predictably, not very good against Veil himself :negative:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mithross posted:

Achievements. The bulletin board in Sanctuary will tell you which ones you've gotten, they almost all add extra starting stuff to either a specific class or everyone. One in particular has you start every run with a blood mage ally.

The Blacksmith with no strength levels can chop down trees with his hammer, I just checked.

Also yes, when you look at your weapon in the bottom right you see two sets of two numbers. They are respectively
[Primary Attack Damage ] [Secondary Attack Damage]
[Primary Attack Power] [Secondary Attack Power]

The numbers are the final total after your stats are figured in.

Edit: Basically the game is weird and obtuse and even the wiki only has like half the answers.

don't ask about the true final boss lol

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What game is ICOV? Google doesn't return anything for that

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

What game is ICOV? Google doesn't return anything for that

literally like 3 posts up lol

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

don't ask about the true final boss lol

I just reached this, I think, and came away thoroughly confused.

It's just a room with a spike in it? There's nothing to do except kill yourself

e: and then it resets everything about the Sanctuary :wtf:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Sep 19, 2022

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Not quite! There's a Different one!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Nea posted:

Not quite! There's a Different one!

I reached the false true final boss :psyduck:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

I just reached this, I think, and came away thoroughly confused.

There's nothing to do except kill yourself

Congratulations... you killed the Thousand-Faced God of Violence :twisted:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Some of the emergent moments in ICOV are so great. I ran into an elite enemy in the forest, a big stone golem who swings an enormous axe around. I'm playing an archer character and my arrows did practically no damage to him, but I was able to lead him into an area with a bunch of trees and figured I could bait him into chopping them down (my character is way too weak to do so) and at least get some more wood to make arrows with. I got my wood, and he died after several trees fell on his head

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Nomad Survival is good fun innit? I was a bit dazzled at first by how many options there seemed to be but I've got it now. Good accessibility options with the visual clutter, too. If only Path of Exile would learn this 'put an outline around the enemy' technology I could loving play it again.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
ICOV now 50% off time to jump on the bandwagon!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/509570/In_Celebration_of_Violence/

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I picked this up since everyone's chattin' about it and it's cheap now, seems interesting so far but holy poo poo I have no idea what I'm doing.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

There is a manual, of sorts, hidden away in the pause menu. It still doesn't explain much, but at least you'll know how shops work and why your stamina bar has two parts.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I picked up ICOV and my first run stopped short at the Bandit Lord. I'm intrigued, this feels like LTTP but a roguelike, but it has the NES mentality that absolutely loving nothing is told to you and you have to figure it out on your own.

I wish the game was like 33% faster though. Everything takes aaaages.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

I picked up ICOV and my first run stopped short at the Bandit Lord. I'm intrigued, this feels like LTTP but a roguelike, but it has the NES mentality that absolutely loving nothing is told to you and you have to figure it out on your own.

Leveling up is a trap for the most part early on... but putting about ten levels into speed helps quite a bit with the slower classes without costing a ton.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
https://ulfsire.itch.io/path-of-achra/devlog/429795/version-015-resistance-rework

Now with Resistances that change everything plus the usual assortment of enhancements and fixes from feedback and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

You can scroll the mouse wheel up or down to adjust your walking speed or hold middle mouse to sprint. I highly recommend rebinding that to something sensible