Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

SlowBloke posted:

Beside the early burn-in with the first OLED iPhones i don't have heard much about that issue recently, i think that whatever mitigation has been used to keep the lower slider bar from being burned will hopefully be used for the lock screen clock.

I used to work at a phone repair shop, and one thing we did with iPhones was use a machine to transfer data from the old screen to the new one to preserve True Tone when we used 3rd party parts.

We had one phone that we tried multiple screens on, and every one had burn-in of the Home Screen icons. Which didn’t make sense until we tried writing one with blank screen data instead, then it came up normally. All we could figure is that they somehow know what’s burned in, adjust for it in software, and save that data to the screen itself, presumably so it persists if you wipe the phone.

It only ever happened to that one phone, so my thought is that normally the burn is minimal, and that was one of those people who set their phone to never time out. And usually wonders why they get so little battery life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
the rate oled pixels will degrade and lead to eventual burn-in / uncorrectable bias is highly linked with brightness. i doubt the dim always-on display will have much of an effect.

also, panel makers have a pretty good model of how oled pixels shift and degrade based on usage over time (and automatically correct for it), so it shouldn't be that hard for apple to understand what the effects will be over the typical lifespan of an iphone. (of course, there still could be bugs that do unintended things to degrade the screen more than the model assumed -- similar to whatever is going on with the 14 camera sensor shift)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's also supposed to figure out your sleep/charging habits and start to turn off when it thinks you're sleeping.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
i would hope it would turn off immediately when you go to bed for the night or you enable a sleep focus mode or something. even at minimum brightness, my 13 pro screen puts out enough of a glow on the stand next to my bed to be annoying if it comes on for any reason at night.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

i would hope it would turn off immediately when you go to bed for the night or you enable a sleep focus mode or something. even at minimum brightness, my 13 pro screen puts out enough of a glow on the stand next to my bed to be annoying if it comes on for any reason at night.

It does if you use sleep focus.

But it's also supposed to learn from the time you put it on the charger and typically set your alarm and other metrics like that if you don't use focuses.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I was worried it would be distracting but the screen really dims down to an extreme degree in the dark. It is significantly dimmer than my Philips alarm clock (which itself dims down in the dark) and when I set it face up on the charger it is pretty much invisible. A white sheet of paper reflecting ambient light leaking around the blinds would probably be more noticeable.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I caught the always on screen turning off last night and it pissed me off. It’s so dark there’s no reason to completely turn it off, especially when it’s a big feature they are advertising :argh:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Feels like it should be switchable. I’m glad it turns off during the sleep focus personally.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 19, 2022

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I don't use sleep focus, only DND, but over the last few nights I've noticed my 14 Pro has turned the screen off completely while I'm asleep. It's on the charger with an alarm set, so I assume it knows that I'm probably not looking at it for a while.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I managed to play a game for like an hour without moving at all where the Face ID sensor could see, and always on did turn off, so it uses motion from the TrueDepth sensor too to decide whether or not to keep it active or not.

Pretty cool actually

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So this morning I was driving to work, there was U2 playing. At some point I figured, what the hell, I have none of that in any of my playlists. Turns out, Apple Music decided to play when my car radio connected, despite using plenty of Spotify before. I figured, this gotta be an easy fix, since it worked fine on my 12 Pro without uninstalling Apple Music. Well, let's look for the default music player setting. There's none. Apparently I need to use loving Siri to set it, and from what I gather, it only asks when you want to play some music for the first time (or repeats asking sporadically)? What rear end backwards poo poo is that?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you switch to Spotify does it remember next time?

Playing U2 by default is very Apple :lol:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The best part of iOS 16 is that faceID works in landscape mode. Trying to open 1Password to enter a password in landscape mode, but having to rotate it to portrait mode just for the face scan and rotating it back was annoying.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

withak posted:

If you switch to Spotify does it remember next time?

It did remember from Friday, when I got and setup the phone, to Sunday. This morning then, it flipped to Apple Music for whatever reason. I mean, I've uninstalled it now. But still, there ought to be a default setting for this (too).

The U2 thing, I think iOS ships with some album of theirs? Was the same on my 12 Pro back then. Apple Music always had some full U2 album, when without subscription.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

withak posted:

I wish YouTube music would stop recommending the Tragically Hip.

What a poo poo band.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Buff Hardback posted:

I had it happen once today in Snapchat, force closed it and haven't had it happen since

As far as I can tell it didn't do any permanent damage?

I’d still go to the Apple Store to get it replaced. Who knows if it weakened the electronic stabilizer with the rattling? I heard they’re doing replacements with ease

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Rabid Snake posted:

I’d still go to the Apple Store to get it replaced. Who knows if it weakened the electronic stabilizer with the rattling? I heard they’re doing replacements with ease

I’m just not going to get it replaced until I know the fix is out, seems a bit wasteful to swap when it might happen again

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Combat Pretzel posted:

It did remember from Friday, when I got and setup the phone, to Sunday. This morning then, it flipped to Apple Music for whatever reason. I mean, I've uninstalled it now. But still, there ought to be a default setting for this (too).

The U2 thing, I think iOS ships with some album of theirs? Was the same on my 12 Pro back then. Apple Music always had some full U2 album, when without subscription.
The U2 thing (Songs of Innocence being included on everyone's iTunes accounts) happened in 2014. Is it still included with iOS 16 by default? That'd be wild. I and a lot of other people used Apple's official link to remove the album from our accounts, but then again, I'm sure a lot of people didn't.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

I wish YouTube music would stop recommending the Tragically Hip.

What a poo poo band.

The war of 2022 begins now

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Rageaholic posted:

The U2 thing (Songs of Innocence being included on everyone's iTunes accounts) happened in 2014. Is it still included with iOS 16 by default? That'd be wild. I and a lot of other people used Apple's official link to remove the album from our accounts, but then again, I'm sure a lot of people didn't.

I would imagine if you still have the album linked to your iTunes account and you tell the music app (or if you sync it with a pc) to download all your poo poo, it would download that album.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jose Oquendo posted:

I would imagine if you still have the album linked to your iTunes account and you tell the music app (or if you sync it with a pc) to download all your poo poo, it would download that album.
Yeah, now that I think about it, it probably has nothing to do with the software version. It's kinda hilarious that that album is still wreaking havoc on iPhone users 8 years later :lol:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

I guess that'd be it. I had an iPhone 7 once before that 12 Pro.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
So does the 14 Pro not have an Apple Watch-esque "night stand mode"? Seems like AoD is the perfect time for them to add some kind of nighttime info screen/clock instead of just turning the screen off entirely.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

Yeah, now that I think about it, it probably has nothing to do with the software version. It's kinda hilarious that that album is still wreaking havoc on iPhone users 8 years later :lol:

Does anyone remember the U2 iPod lmao.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

for many years the "artists" icon in the stock music app was a picture of bono. steve just loved that motherfucker. i guess we should be grateful that he wasn't a mega-fan of like. ratt

Weedle
May 31, 2006

they also did a special edition harry potter ipod that recently got a software update that kills the user if they listen to music by trans artists

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Weedle posted:

for many years the "artists" icon in the stock music app was a picture of bono. steve just loved that motherfucker. i guess we should be grateful that he wasn't a mega-fan of like. ratt

I do miss that weird poo poo that was done just for him. He had a legit full-on press conference just to announce that The Beatles were now on iTunes.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Weedle posted:

i guess we should be grateful that he wasn't a mega-fan of like. ratt
I’m this close to reporting this rude and very wrong post.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Xabi posted:

:agreed:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah I have some album of theirs from 2014 now and no matter how many times you delete it in iTunes it grows back.

I’ll just stick with my random track of New Years Day thank you.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Does anyone remember the U2 iPod lmao.

The HP iPod was one of the biggest coups Apple ever pulled.

Apple got: iTunes installed as the default music player, for millions of PCs from the largest consumer PC manufacturer on the planet leading to a total dominance in music sales and further cementing themselves as the premier portable music player

HP got: an iPod that had “HP” engraved on the back. Also, since these were officially HP products Apple did not warranty or repair them. HP was also forbidden from making their own MP3 player for two years.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 19, 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I do think War and Joshua Tree are amazing albums and I can see why Steve would be really into them based on those records.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Anyone else having a camera bug on the 14 pro in apps that scan barcodes where the camera won’t focus on the barcode and won’t scan it? Specifically happening to me in two different food logging apps. The barcode looks clean and clear on the normal camera app but blurry and out of focus in the other apps. I found one guy mentioning a similar thing when I searched but nothing more.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Xabi posted:

the problem is that he's been dead for long enough that any uncool band he could have liked is now ironically cool

Weedle
May 31, 2006

enough people got insanely mad about the u2 album that they made a web page to delete it from your library. that page is gone now so i guess if you still have the album you're hosed. has anyone actually listened to it?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I fuckin love that it never occurred to Steve Jobs that not all of his customers were U2 fans.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If you had app downloads over cellular enabled the U2 album automatically downloaded too. I know a lot of folks were pissed at least in part because they lost a significant chunk of their data plan for an album they never wanted in the first place.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

rally posted:

Anyone else having a camera bug on the 14 pro in apps that scan barcodes where the camera won’t focus on the barcode and won’t scan it? Specifically happening to me in two different food logging apps. The barcode looks clean and clear on the normal camera app but blurry and out of focus in the other apps. I found one guy mentioning a similar thing when I searched but nothing more.

This is likely related to the shakey cam bug from what I can tell

Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'
Upgrade question:

I'm upgrading from an XR that I've had for about 3 years, I know I want to keep a 6.1" screen and am fine with a 128gb storage level.

Is going for a 14 worth it for the incremental differences over a new 13? I'm figuring the 14 having slightly increased battery life, slight GPU gains, and slightly extended iOS lifetime in the future (it'll likely get passed down to one of the kids when I upgrade) will be worthwhile compared to go with compared to the small savings on getting a 13.

I can see that it's not worth getting a 14 if you already have a 13, but with as many generations behind as my phone is, it's worth getting.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Conversely, coming from an XR I'm not sure you'd actually be able to tell the difference between a 13 or a 14. Guess it all depends on if $100 matters much to you.