Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

3ds already has a case it's called the outside
OG Gba I got a case for but anything that folds just goes straight in my bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The New 3DSXLs have like a candy coating that just absolutely melts off of the thing at the slightest provocation so I keep mine in an acrylic case and it will be treated with only the most precious handling

I also found out it has an IPS screen so I want to protect my child

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
$70 is a lot, but the case I have is starting to wear out quite a bit so it's awfully tempting...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Heath posted:

The New 3DSXLs have like a candy coating that just absolutely melts off of the thing at the slightest provocation so I keep mine in an acrylic case and it will be treated with only the most precious handling

I also found out it has an IPS screen so I want to protect my child

The bottom plate is especially bad. Mine has totally deteriorated on the sides where my hands grip it. I’m glad I grabbed some extra faceplates before they got harder to find.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Is there a game that's like Ever Oasis that isn't Ever Oasis? I want to do a series of tasks that make a town or similar area get better over time. I've already got the Story of Seasons games.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The closest thing that will scratch that itch on 3DS: Fantasy Life. It was a huge hit here at the time.

We were all disappointed when they announced the sequel was a cell phone Japan exclusive game.

From wikipedia:

quote:

Fantasy Life is a role-playing life simulation game, in which players can choose from any of the twelve jobs known as "life classes".[1] Gameplay centers upon the player taking on various tasks given to them and choosing one of twelve Life classes.[2] Upon achieving various goals such as completing tasks in the game, buying a new house, or decorating said house, players will gain "Bliss points" that will unlock additional features like larger storage, or the ability to expand your home.[3] Players are able to customize several aspects of their character.[4]

As the game progresses players have the ability to unlock several new areas,[5] as well as non-playable characters that can join them on their journey and help them fight monsters.[citation needed]

Players choose from one of twelve classes,[citation needed] each of which has its own "Life Master" that will assign tasks and award points to the player, allowing them to rank up within their Life. Each rank gives the player the ability to perform additional tasks and will give Life bonuses (additional vital stat points and abilities) to the player. As the player masters each Life class they gain the ability to more easily produce and access materials on their own, as opposed to purchasing them via a storefront. Players can level up through the ranks of each life class; starting out as a Fledgling and ending with the Legend rank. If the player has the Origin Island DLC, a new rank called the Creator (or God in Europe) rank is added.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

Ah, I've got that too. I've not played it for a while though, so I'll fire it back up.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
They're not on 3ds, but would the Dark Cloud games also scratch that town building itch, even though it's proc gen dungeon running?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

The closest thing that will scratch that itch on 3DS: Fantasy Life. It was a huge hit here at the time.

We were all disappointed when they announced the sequel was a cell phone Japan exclusive game.

From wikipedia:

FWIW the fantasy life phone game came out here.

It’s not bad I guess? It’s reasonably fantasy life.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

hey yall i hacked my new 3ds a few weeks ago using the popular guide, and i was wondering if i can get japanese official themes onto my us 3ds now? i know hacking it removes the region locks on games (or i suppose on the 3ds itself), but i wasn't sure if that applied to official themes as well?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Booky posted:

hey yall i hacked my new 3ds a few weeks ago using the popular guide, and i was wondering if i can get japanese official themes onto my us 3ds now? i know hacking it removes the region locks on games (or i suppose on the 3ds itself), but i wasn't sure if that applied to official themes as well?

I think this link should be safe to share since these aren't available legally anymore, these are QR codes you can install with Anemone.
https://hshop.erista.me/c/themes

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Ignis posted:

I think this link should be safe to share since these aren't available legally anymore, these are QR codes you can install with Anemone.
https://hshop.erista.me/c/themes

ah sweet, thats the one im using! :) is it possible to install jp themes from there onto a us 3ds?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Yeah they're region agnostic and are managed through Anemone, should be fine

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Ignis posted:

Yeah they're region agnostic and are managed through Anemone, should be fine

ahh ty!! 💃

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ahh before i sleep, i should crosspost this issue that happened earlier just in case too!

Booky posted:

speaking of 3dses and before i go to bed, when i was setting a theme in anemone tonight, twice i had a mysterious crash occur. the first time i didn't take a pic or save a crash dump, but the second one i did and im p sure its the same as the first one; i think it didn't happen all the time too? would anyone know how to fix this? i tried google but it all seemed like it was just if it crashed elsewhere

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't remember fantasy life doing anything to build towns. Just raising your dudes abilities.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Yup, Fantasy Life is pretty much doing the same kinds of mini-games over and over again. It's weirdly enthralling but I would love something more in-depth without straight up becoming Animal Crossing. Like I never cared much about the house decoration, I just used the houses for fast travel.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Booky posted:

ahh before i sleep, i should crosspost this issue that happened earlier just in case too!

good news, i figured out Why this was happening (another crosspost for any future references)

Booky posted:

oh my god i think i figured out Why that crash was happening in anemone

i followed this "charger" persons steps on anemone sd card folder stuff yadda yadda (tho it was only after i installed themes sometimes, not cause i booted up my 3ds or w/e)
and then i tested it in anemone and the first time the install worked and the second time i got a crash (the same one as the pic)... and im positive its because the second time i hit Home and not start, to exit
if you hit start after installing the theme then it brings u to the software closed screen and then you can hit home again to go back and it usually installs fine (unless afaik if you do a mix and match of bgm and no bgm installs of stuff then if you do that then the bgm gets Weird and u can just turn it off and on again in the home screen or just at the software closed bit to fix it)

jesus christ i took off the backplate with my screwdriver and got out my sd card reader for This, the dumbest solution ever :shepface:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't remember fantasy life doing anything to build towns. Just raising your dudes abilities.

It’s not a town builder at all but it was the closet thing I could think of in that vein

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fantasy Life felt like such a tedious unrewarding grind to me that I actually think it’s pretty fitting it became a mobile series.:v:

I need to play Ever Oasis since that actually looks like a fun videogame.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Booky posted:

Unexplained errors like this are usually caused by the sd card. For some reason hacked 3DSeses are really sensitive about what card you use.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Fantasy Life felt like such a tedious unrewarding grind to me that I actually think it’s pretty fitting it became a mobile series.:v:

I need to play Ever Oasis since that actually looks like a fun videogame.

I bought Ever Oasis from the eShop before it goes poof. For some reason my 3DS won't download it, nor can it access the eShop. It just suddenly decided it doesn't like our home wifi, despite having basically the same settings for years. :( I'm kinda glad the thing is on its way out, because I am just baffled as to why it suddenly decided it won't connect to our wifi. I bought a game that I can't play because I can't connect to the Internet to download it. I'm super bummed.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Silver Falcon posted:

I bought Ever Oasis from the eShop before it goes poof. For some reason my 3DS won't download it, nor can it access the eShop. It just suddenly decided it doesn't like our home wifi, despite having basically the same settings for years. :( I'm kinda glad the thing is on its way out, because I am just baffled as to why it suddenly decided it won't connect to our wifi. I bought a game that I can't play because I can't connect to the Internet to download it. I'm super bummed.

I have had this issue before and there was a trick to it (for me): disable the WiFi, enable the WiFi, wait a minute or two, go to Friends and wait for it to turn green marking you online, access the eShop after. Worked every time.

Establishing the initial eShop connection is apparently different than everything else on the system (probably some bad attempt at stopping piracy or even block slow connections?). If your system is saying "I'm already connected" (like in Friends) the eShop should be tricked into working without additional weird checks.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Saoshyant posted:

I have had this issue before and there was a trick to it (for me): disable the WiFi, enable the WiFi, wait a minute or two, go to Friends and wait for it to turn green marking you online, access the eShop after. Worked every time.

Establishing the initial eShop connection is apparently different than everything else on the system (probably some bad attempt at stopping piracy or even block slow connections?). If your system is saying "I'm already connected" (like in Friends) the eShop should be tricked into working without additional weird checks.

Huh. Okay, that was a trick I hadn't tried yet!

I went to my 3DS to give it a shot. The thing had come unplugged and was off. I plugged it in, turned it on, only to find that it had downloaded Ever Oasis sometime in the last month?!?!?

Whatever! I'll take it. Frankly a better long term solution might just be to get a Steam Deck and dump my games and saves to it... At least I can now play the game I paid for! Bless you, friend!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
There's a functional emulator for 3ds on the steam deck? Well, just in general? I thought 3ds hadn't been emulated yet.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Citra has been a thing for a while. A good deal of stuff is very playable. I don’t think I’d ever use it personally though since I always found emulating DS games with 2 virtual screens to look lovely.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 19, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Waltzing Along posted:

There's a functional emulator for 3ds on the steam deck? Well, just in general? I thought 3ds hadn't been emulated yet.

No idea how or how good, but I remember this tweet:
https://twitter.com/RetrogradeTom/status/1511887987059138563

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not only can Steam Deck run 3DS and Wii U, it can be plugged to display the top screen on the tv and the bottom screen/Game Pad on the Steam Deck.

Mine’s coming in this week. Trying to decide if I should play the GameCube or Wii U version of Wind Waker.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not only can Steam Deck run 3DS and Wii U, it can be plugged to display the top screen on the tv and the bottom screen/Game Pad on the Steam Deck.

Mine’s coming in this week. Trying to decide if I should play the GameCube or Wii U version of Wind Waker.

I’d go Wii U if it runs well and the new lighting doesn’t bother you. There’s a million little changes that add up to a much more playable game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I’ve played both. I think I ultimately prefer the graphics of the original but I totally forgot about the QOL with the Wii U version.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s a bunch of tiny changes but drat they add up. Especially if you want to do the pictobox side quest. It’s a nightmare in the original game.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The second screen is a godsend. It's the single best addition to a Zelda game in any format besides gyro aiming.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Heath posted:

The second screen is a godsend. It's the single best addition to a Zelda game in any format besides gyro aiming.

It's a real shame they obviously gimped it for BOTW on Wii U so it wouldn't have anything over the Switch version.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Silver Falcon posted:

I love the nighttime town music in that game

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

It's a real shame they obviously gimped it for BOTW on Wii U so it wouldn't have anything over the Switch version.

If I delete my game info on the Wii U and disconnect it from the internet will I still be able to play it unpatched? Because I kind of want to now.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Walla posted:

If I delete my game info on the Wii U and disconnect it from the internet will I still be able to play it unpatched? Because I kind of want to now.

The Wii U features were cut before launch so dropping back to 1.0 won't help

The earliest demos of BOTW showed those features, IIRC that was before the Switch was officially announced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SECWlFInyFM

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

That's a bitch.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The WiiU gamepad was so great

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Unexplained errors like this are usually caused by the sd card. For some reason hacked 3DSeses are really sensitive about what card you use.

i see... mines just the plain 32gb sandisk type, i believe

im pretty sure it was also cause i was pressing home and not start to close out anemone after changing a theme, also, since i haven't had anything else like that besides the time i tried out RA injects for 2 fan tled nes games (kernel panic, or something like that) - the solution was to use a diff emu for those :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Shiroc posted:

The WiiU gamepad was so great

It really loving is and Nintendo really either didn't know what they had or they spread themselves too thin and didn't focus enough on what the thing did right. Maps, menus, gyro aiming, drawing, all of that stuff. You'd think they would have figured that out from the DS. When it is played to its strengths it's a fantastic feature, enough that the Steam Deck emulating it is making people wake up to it now.