Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

r word chariots have a place too

Huh, I thought this was a local term. The more you know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slavvy posted:

Huh, I thought this was a local term. The more you know!

lol glad its global

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

The only customer made video I found on youtube was a guy who hit one of those ridges in the path and ate poo poo like I did, except he was going much faster.

post the vid

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG33Z3K98bA

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Brave of you to post that thank you. That looks like regular old fashioned fun atv trails. But it can be a total pain if you've never ridden a dirtbike before and don't know the feeling of your wheels traveling in two different directions in different ruts at once. Also not knowing how to use the bike to your advantage instead of struggling through every rut. I'm guessing you were sitting down the whole time too which makes you way more tired overall.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Brave of you to post that thank you. That looks like regular old fashioned fun atv trails. But it can be a total pain if you've never ridden a dirtbike before and don't know the feeling of your wheels traveling in two different directions in different ruts at once. Also not knowing how to use the bike to your advantage instead of struggling through every rut. I'm guessing you were sitting down the whole time too which makes you way more tired overall.

Thanks. I found a better video of a guy doing the same tour. Judging by the 15 year old dirt bike videos on his channel, he was a very seasoned rider, and the title of the video speaks for itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L8B_aISMHk

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

ChocNitty posted:

Thanks. I found a better video of a guy doing the same tour. Judging by the 15 year old dirt bike videos on his channel, he was a very seasoned rider, and the title of the video speaks for itself:

Yes, horrifying. 😐

I still think they’re dicks for not giving you any training but this isn’t some hard enduro course or something. It’s ok to be like “I was in way over my head and they said they’d teach me and they didn’t and it sucked.” You know that, right?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

ChocNitty posted:

he was a very seasoned rider

holy gently caress lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ChocNitty posted:

Normally I'd be all in on a video where a guy yells gently caress in the first 5 frames, but my guy is eating poo poo on two inch tree roots and stuff.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it doesn't seem too awfully extreme in the bit I watched. To attempt to be fair to him, gopro video tends to flatten out elevation and make it look not at all steep when it actually is, perhaps thats whats going on?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 19, 2022

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ah bin ridin fer FIFTEEN YURS, dirt bike edition

Some people spend their whole lives sticking absolute rear end at riding bikes and never improving, it's not an MMO, time and miles alone don't automatically give improvement.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Slavvy posted:

Ah bin ridin fer FIFTEEN YURS, dirt bike edition

Some people spend their whole lives sticking absolute rear end at riding bikes and never improving, it's not an MMO, time and miles alone don't automatically give improvement.

Its not just bikes, it's anything. You're gonna suck at some stuff forever, sometimes it's motorcycles, sometimes its being a decent human being

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

practice makes permanent

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Are you guys saying Malcolm Gladwell is full of poo poo with his 10,000 hours mumbo jumbo?!? Why I never!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I thought other riders wouldn't crash a single time, especially since the tour guide never did. The video of that guy crashing a lot just reinforced what you guys were saying about how common it is. I think if I was on that same tour as that guy, seeing others falling a lot and laughing it off, and having other riders standing off to the side and patiently wait for others to make it through, it would have put me in a better headspace. I think it would have helped a lot if the guide had enough common sense to me that its normal, and to not be embarrassed or discouraged.

And at the beginning of the tour, when we were riding on road to get to the trail, after I got a hang of the shifting, I sped up and passed the guide. He got pissed. He told me to not be a showoff. I tried explaining to him that I wasn't trying to show off, and that I was trying to let him know that I'm ready to start going faster. I felt like I broke some dirt bike taboo.

But yeah, the gopro cam doesn't show the inclines and declines accurately, and that's only 6 minutes of a 5 hour ride. I felt like everything minus huge x-games ramps were thrown at me.

I did have fun on a lot of the ride though. It was mostly the last hour that was an ordeal.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

ChocNitty posted:

And at the beginning of the tour, when we were riding on road to get to the trail, after I got a hang of the shifting, I sped up and passed the guide.

:stare:

ChocNitty posted:

He got pissed.

Let me get this straight. You have zero experience on a motorcycle, specifically dirt bikes. You hired a guide to take you on a ride. You learned how to shift on the way to the trail. You then thought it was beneficial to pass the guide as a sign of "I got it, I'm better now"?

ChocNitty posted:

I tried explaining to him that I wasn't trying to show off, and that I was trying to let him know that I'm ready to start going faster.

If you were just learning how to shift a motorcycle, you are not going to be ready to go faster in one short ride, especially at the beginning of a guided ride, on an unfamiliar route. You felt comfortable gaining speed but you have no idea how to hard stop or make an evasive maneuver if a situation came up. A guide likely has a legal and moral responsibility for those he's guiding. The last thing they want are arrogant tourists who think they're suddenly graham jarvis after getting bored of staying in 3rd gear for a few miles on pavement to suddenly zoom past them. Overconfidence kills experienced motorcyclists on a daily basis. You claimed you didn't have any experience, you just learned how to shift the bike on the ride to the trail, pass the guide, trying to show him you feel confident, and then crashed on the trail claiming it was irresponsible of him to claim it was easier than it was and you were in too far over your head.

Man. I'm really not trying to pile on here but I can see why this guy was frustrated. He wants to go out, show people around on bikes, not have anybody die, get paid and go home. Think of how many times he's probably had people who think they know what they're doing and then they crash, wreck the bike or themselves, and now its a whole thing.

I was in Croatia a few years ago and my wife and I met up with one of her friends who claimed she rides scooters around europe all the time and we should rent some to get to the other side of this island. The rental house was very insistent on us knowing how to use the scooters. My wifes friend insisted it would be fine and the rental agent said they don't have good hospitals on the island and it would be a huge deal if we wrecked. My wifes friend kept on. They asked us to prove our proficiency. We had to take it off the stand and ride it around the parking lot to make sure we knew how to ride them. I took it off the stand, did a few figure 8s in the gravel lot and came to a stop. The agent was happy. My wife's friend got on it and struggled to get it off the stand, nearly crashed into a parked car in the parking lot and low speed dumped it in a bit of gravel when trying to turn, and whiskey throttled in the process. I looked at the rental agent and told her to forget about us renting as my wifes friend was going to kill herself. We just went to a nearby beach and this friend kept saying how rude the rental agent was. Don't be that person.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dunning Kruger does dirt

E-P
Apr 21, 2016
I want to get better at wheelies. Can pop the front up in first just using throttle but can't really go along and can sorta do it using the clutch but need to work on the control a bit as well as using the back brake.

Suppose it's just practise and patience but I don't want to loop my bike all that much.

Maybe I should get a shitter just to muck round with.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

just cover the brake and you’ll never loop it. easy peasy

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
goodbye fork seals, hello hoonery

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

goodbye fork seals, hello hoonery

if you're blowing your fork seals out doing wheelies you're not on a dirtbike AND THUS DON'T BELONG IN THIS THREAD GET OUT

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

https://www.redbull.com/se-en/events/red-bull-straight-rhythm

having a fun time watching this.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Short ride in the Tillamook State Forest today

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Where in Tillamook is that? I really need to get out there and do some exploring, I hit Jordan Creek for kayaking pretty often but afaik thats all hard singletrack

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It's not near Tillamook. This is the upper Nestucca OHV area, Whip Up Flats staging area.

I get there from Sheridan/Willemina

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Thanks, the forest is so loving large and theres so much riding I dont know where to start.

E: Related, any advice from the thread on hitch racks? I've got a canopy on my truck and need a way to get my bike out there.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Being in Colorado I am so jealous of that dirt. Everything within two hours is all crushed granite and roots.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Thanks, the forest is so loving large and theres so much riding I dont know where to start.

E: Related, any advice from the thread on hitch racks? I've got a canopy on my truck and need a way to get my bike out there.

If you've been to Jordan Creek, Brown's Camp is a good place to start. That's near Banks

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I got the steel black widow for my 4runner and Wr250 and it works great. I used locktite on the bolts and check them every now and then but they never move. Get a hitch tightener and it's much better for far less wobble. I always put a fork saver on there and my bike feels more secure, it won't bounce too much during big dips on the highway. I also keep the ramp in the car vs on the rack. I would hear it move around or rattle over bumps and the sound made me too nervous.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lol hell yeah dude

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Some more riding for Thanksgiving today, same place.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I skiied all last week but it looks like its dirtbike season again:

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

ChocNitty posted:

I'm in Pattaya and doing the full day tour tomorrow. I told them I was between novice and experienced with trail riding on their rating scale. I've been interested in seeing if this is more difficult than the riding I used to do in Capital Forest in Washington. It might take me a minute to get used to a manual bike since I just spent the last month driving a semi-auto Honda Wave 110 in Vietnam.

I'll report back to the thread with my findings if I make it back. haha

https://www.enduro-madness.com/information/how-we-rate-rider-skill-levels

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
Sorry it took a bit to report back, it's been a busy few days. There was a car show, jet ski racing, hung out with CB Media and then headed back to Bangkok.

So I didn't see the rocky sections on that guy's video and most of it wasn't that difficult. It was more tiring than anything because most of the poo poo you ride on is sandy farm roads. a lot of the roads have ruts from water erosion. I dumped it 4 times throughout the day but 2 were on a hill climb that I needed a third try to get up but they just grabbed my bike and rode it up. One time was just from missing what I tried to put my foot on and flopped over. The worst one was just a deep sand spot as I came around a turn from so hard packed surface and my front just washed out from under me.

Overall the poo poo they took me on was boring or frustrating since riding on sand sucks. There was way too much transiting to trails and even then the fun parts were pretty short. There were a few single track spots but they were short and really overgrown. There were too many breaks just sitting around waiting for the guides to smoke too.

I think if I was going to do it again I would check with the place what kind of "trails" they're going to take me on. I also need to get into a bit better shape since I was worn out after it. My arms were really sore for a few days too haha.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

NinjaTech posted:

Sorry it took a bit to report back, it's been a busy few days. There was a car show, jet ski racing, hung out with CB Media and then headed back to Bangkok.

So I didn't see the rocky sections on that guy's video and most of it wasn't that difficult. It was more tiring than anything because most of the poo poo you ride on is sandy farm roads. a lot of the roads have ruts from water erosion. I dumped it 4 times throughout the day but 2 were on a hill climb that I needed a third try to get up but they just grabbed my bike and rode it up. One time was just from missing what I tried to put my foot on and flopped over. The worst one was just a deep sand spot as I came around a turn from so hard packed surface and my front just washed out from under me.

Overall the poo poo they took me on was boring or frustrating since riding on sand sucks. There was way too much transiting to trails and even then the fun parts were pretty short. There were a few single track spots but they were short and really overgrown. There were too many breaks just sitting around waiting for the guides to smoke too.

I think if I was going to do it again I would check with the place what kind of "trails" they're going to take me on. I also need to get into a bit better shape since I was worn out after it. My arms were really sore for a few days too haha.

Sounds... not ideal. Being sore is normal, but the arms in particular are because you're not gripping with the tank with your legs enough. Try turning your toes in just a little and that will help kind of lock your calf into gripping the bike.

On the other hand, riding dirtbikes around the world is cool and good so nicely done there.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

NinjaTech posted:

bummer. riding scooters in hanoi was a highlight of my trip lol just absolute chaos

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

builds character posted:

Sounds... not ideal. Being sore is normal, but the arms in particular are because you're not gripping with the tank with your legs enough. Try turning your toes in just a little and that will help kind of lock your calf into gripping the bike.

On the other hand, riding dirtbikes around the world is cool and good so nicely done there.

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I was trying to grip with my knees a lot but I just figured my muscles just aren't in shape for this stuff haha.

right arm posted:

bummer. riding scooters in hanoi was a highlight of my trip lol just absolute chaos

I started in Ho Chi Minh and rode 2000km into Hanoi. I thought Hanoi was the worst part since the traffic is so much crazier than HCMC. It's the only part where anyone hit my bike while I was sitting and waiting for a light like everyone else.

I'm in Chiang Mai in northern Thailand now and considering another dirt bike tour. It's more jungles and mountainous terrain so it might be more of what I'm looking for.

There's this place:
https://letsridetheworld.com/one-day-explorer/

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

NinjaTech posted:

I started in Ho Chi Minh and rode 2000km into Hanoi. I thought Hanoi was the worst part since the traffic is so much crazier than HCMC. It's the only part where anyone hit my bike while I was sitting and waiting for a light like everyone else.

I'm in Chiang Mai in northern Thailand now and considering another dirt bike tour. It's more jungles and mountainous terrain so it might be more of what I'm looking for.

There's this place:
https://letsridetheworld.com/one-day-explorer/

Lol Hanoi was insane. was wandering around on foot near Hoan Kiem and a dude on a scooter clipped me and some tiny lady at like 5mph and he fell over. we gave each other thumbs up as he rode away after I picked his bike up off him. pure chaos lol

wish I would’ve hosed around on a dirt bike up in Sa Pa, but we were only in Vietnam for a bit over a week. I’m sure I’ll be back though :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

right arm posted:

Lol Hanoi was insane. was wandering around on foot near Hoan Kiem and a dude on a scooter clipped me and some tiny lady at like 5mph and he fell over. we gave each other thumbs up as he rode away after I picked his bike up off him. pure chaos lol

wish I would’ve hosed around on a dirt bike up in Sa Pa, but we were only in Vietnam for a bit over a week. I’m sure I’ll be back though :D

I turned my bike in to the rental agency (Tigit) as soon as I got my stuff dropped at my hotel. I was so ready to be done riding at that point. They let me ride one of the XR150's down the street too. I wish I had rented that instead. The ergonomics were almost perfect for me and not having to unstrap my backpack to fill the underseat tank would have be great. I might go back in the summer for the Ha Giang loop but other than that I don't have much desire to go back to Vietnam.