Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Hakarne posted:

I'd wanted to try it but I'm not good at coming up with things for scrapper and all I see is hammer.

That's mostly because the scrapper's hammer does more damage than the rifle. The drones and associated toolbelt skills are all (for now) centered around where you're standing so you'll want to be right up against the enemies, which makes taking a rifle sub-optimal because why not just hit them with a stronger melee weapon?

You can take any power scrapper build you find and just slot in the rifle and you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

So hey how do you get stuff to harvest in your home zone is it only through purchasing in the the store or is there some later quest or collection that unlocks stuff?

octan3
Jul 10, 2004
DoNt dO DrUgs

Mohawk Potato posted:

So hey how do you get stuff to harvest in your home zone is it only through purchasing in the the store or is there some later quest or collection that unlocks stuff?

Assuming you are talking about home nodes, they are a collection of store / drop / achievements -- https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Home_instance#List_of_home_instance_upgrades

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Most home instance nodes paid for in gems or gold directly or indirectly (e.g. via achievements) range from "pay for themselves in a few months" to "will take half a decade of daily use to break even".

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
The best home instance nodes are the ones your friends have.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
Any way to control or turn off companions in story instances?
Just had Rytlock and Canach running all the gently caress over Balthazar's war camp, never helping me, pulling aggro, getting that 15 sec inaction debuff and kept on triggering the alarm when I tried to go for the achievement

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
And now the Herald of Balthazar ran through partition walls to auto attack civillians, so the achievement to save them all was all moot. What the gently caress?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

The game is pretty good at screwing you over sometimes. I just lost out on a timed achievement because the objects I was supposed to blow up to negate the enemy shields didn't spawn until I left the area and came back.

That said I had a blast tonight. I'm down to just the LWS4 storyline to get my legendary trinket from the Return to Living World. My revenant had already done them and I wanted someone more brainless than my guardian so I hopped on the bandwagon and unlocked mechanist with my boosted engineer. I used a flamethrower + mech + pistols no brainer build off one of the build sites and just had a glorious time setting everything on fire with my laser shooting robot buddy. I was never in any danger, I didn't have to worry about the circles of melee hell this game loves throwing at you, and if I ever got bored of shooting jets of fire everywhere I could take a break and go guns akimbo. Not a fan of engineers in my fantasy rpgs but for a change its just what I needed and will finish out this return achievement chain for me.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Hakarne posted:

Do you have any good builds for that? I'd wanted to try it but I'm not good at coming up with things for scrapper and all I see is hammer.

Flamethrower scrapper is a pretty fun, low-intensity build. Just camp flamethrower stacking might, stability, and other boons. Hammer is probably the ~optimal~ weapon to equip, but I don't see why it couldn't pack rifle. Probably makes you more flexible with range anyway.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Luggage posted:

Most home instance nodes paid for in gems or gold directly or indirectly (e.g. via achievements) range from "pay for themselves in a few months" to "will take half a decade of daily use to break even".

https://fast.farming-community.eu/gathering/home-nodes

Use this website and sort by "days to pay off"

I'd say anything that takes about a year to payoff is going to be a good pickup if you intend to play that long, especially if you are floating a bunch of gold in your pocket and want that gold to start generating more gold for you, but you can just not bother if you are either at constantly 0 gold from impulse buys or know some people you can join on their 10k gold home instance.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 19, 2022

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
There are so many efficient daily tasks and good places to park alts for chests/harvesting now that I don’t think buying home nodes pays off relative to doing other profitable tasks.

The “days to pay off” stat doesn’t factor in the opportunity cost of your time spent harvesting.

If you enjoy doing the daily home instance I won’t talk you out of it, but from an investment standpoint they’re definitely not worth it.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The idea of making a video game fantasy adventurer to sit them in a convenient daily place to accumulate resources is just so perverse.

Resources in gaming were a mistake.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I used to dutifully park all my alts in that little flax farm in VB to farm those 8 flax nodes a day, which at the time gave me a little over a gold every day for like <10m of gathering. I don’t know if flax is still worth money but that was by far the most time-efficient way to farm gold for me.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Yeah, it's pretty good, though not quite as good as it used to be

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
The cluster of trees in Malchor's Leap was where I had most of my characters. An infinite tool with a reaping glyph made quick work of them all (spent more time in loading screens than actually playing). But I've actually been playing most of my characters recently and it's too much of a hassle to move them back to orr every time I want to swap characters/log out for the day.

My asura engineer is still parked at a jumping puzzle chest because condition engineer builds are too confusing for me he deserves to be left there.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I don't think anything beats parking an alt at the Kaineng City JP chest in terms of efficiency.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I finally broke in to T3 fractals and people are such poo poo.
T1 and 2 were great but not it's a ton of primadonnas doing gear checks and leaving at the slightest issue.

I need to just tough this out until T4, which will hopefully be soon. I have the gear for it, just not the frac level.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
If you have the AR just join other people's groups. Your personal fractal level doesn't matter.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

You can't even look in LFG for t4 until your fractal level is higher, like 70 I think. You can of course join guild runs or whatever but nothing through the LFG tool.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I really hate that sPvP seems to be the best way to get Grand master marks. I think I'd rather just wvw and hope for a lucky rank up chest.

bagrada posted:

That said I had a blast tonight. I'm down to just the LWS4 storyline to get my legendary trinket from the Return to Living World. My revenant had already done them and I wanted someone more brainless than my guardian so I hopped on the bandwagon and unlocked mechanist with my boosted engineer. I used a flamethrower + mech + pistols no brainer build off one of the build sites and just had a glorious time setting everything on fire with my laser shooting robot buddy. I was never in any danger, I didn't have to worry about the circles of melee hell this game loves throwing at you, and if I ever got bored of shooting jets of fire everywhere I could take a break and go guns akimbo. Not a fan of engineers in my fantasy rpgs but for a change its just what I needed and will finish out this return achievement chain for me.

The LI flamethrower build is pretty drat great, I'm using it to solo through the dungeon stories and its really nice

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
If they don't do something about Grandmaster Marks in their rework of PvP and WvW reward structure "soon(tm)" after release of Alliances, people are gonna riot. There is literally no point to them since every useful item they are needed for already requires timegated items. And acquisition rate is abysmal, when not going the crafting route. 10 weeks of finishing WvW gold tier for a single weapon or lesser armor slot. Slap on another 4 weeks for chest or legs armor.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Enjoying this so far, but I have one major complaint - for a new player, the method of filling out your elite spec is super dumb.

So I've just finished the base story, and started living world season one (I like to progress through the story stuff in the right order). This means that with some light open world exploration, I've filled all the basic spec trees, and have enough for the first 2 skills in the elite spec I chose (reaper). The problem is... these skills now cost a LOT of points, between 10 and 20 it seems like. So for the build to work, I need to go around and collect an absolute ton of the open world hero points.

This wouldn't be much of an issue, but the jump in difficulty from base to living world is quite high, and I'm constantly aware that my spec is totally gimped until I get like a hundred more of these points from the open world. The only way around this appears to be getting the expansion hero points (which give like ten instead of one i hear), but I'd prefer not to go into expansion stuff until I get there naturally though the story.

Is this just the way things are? It's kinda killed my momentum, but it is what it is I guess and I'll have to just get on with it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

HampHamp posted:

Enjoying this so far, but I have one major complaint - for a new player, the method of filling out your elite spec is super dumb.

So I've just finished the base story, and started living world season one (I like to progress through the story stuff in the right order). This means that with some light open world exploration, I've filled all the basic spec trees, and have enough for the first 2 skills in the elite spec I chose (reaper). The problem is... these skills now cost a LOT of points, between 10 and 20 it seems like. So for the build to work, I need to go around and collect an absolute ton of the open world hero points.

This wouldn't be much of an issue, but the jump in difficulty from base to living world is quite high, and I'm constantly aware that my spec is totally gimped until I get like a hundred more of these points from the open world. The only way around this appears to be getting the expansion hero points (which give like ten instead of one i hear), but I'd prefer not to go into expansion stuff until I get there naturally though the story.

Is this just the way things are? It's kinda killed my momentum, but it is what it is I guess and I'll have to just get on with it.

If you're dead set on doing it in order it shouldn't be too big of a deal - the elite specs didn't even exist when the first two Living World seasons came out, so it's balanced around your core specs anyway. Just make sure your gear and build is in order - you should be in full exotics and have something approximating a "real" build with strong complementary traits and utility choices if you don't want it to feel like an uphill battle.

On the other hand, if you just want to get your elite spec finished so you don't have to think about it, dipping into an expansion real quick will get it out of the way. I would say if you go that route, hop into PoF instead of HoT, because the maps are much easier and less annoying to navigate and you'll also get a raptor right away that makes zooming around the maps much less of a hassle. They are also mostly doable solo, versus HoT where a lot of skill points are champion enemies that will flatten you on your own. You'd only have to do the first story mission and then you could just grab hero points from the open world - wouldn't take very long to max out one elite spec and while you'd get a bit of story spoilers from that first mission, it's probably far enough away from your current point in the story that it will mostly just seem confusing.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 19, 2022

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

HampHamp posted:

Core necro is still good, and hero points on the map when you hit any of the expansions give you 10 points in one shot, hence the inflation.

Hero points in HoT are often not really meant to be soloed though, so keep an eye out for HP trains in the LFG tool. Follow one of those and you’ll have the points for a spec and a half.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
Cheers for the tips, but I'm a bit weird and don't even like seeing the new zones until I get to them through the story.

Maybe I'll give core necro a try until I've got a few more points to spend. The reaper elite spec was only going to be temporary until I do group content, as scourge seems better for that, so it won't be a huge deal. Although I did like swinging a big sword around!

Any suggestions for a core necromancer spec?

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Unfortunately, that's the way it is. Depending on the class, you'll need at least 100 HP from expansion zones. And that's if you complete the core game map without any of the niceties of the expansions, i.e. a mount, gliding and a complete elite spec.

My recommendation would be to play the prologues for both HoT and PoF, so you can get the raptor and glider. You can repeat those story missions at a later point, when you dive into that story.

That allows you to either do map completion in PoF (can mostly be soloed) or HoT (about half can be soloed, the rest requires a group or squad).

Also see if you can kit yourself out in Berserker Exotics off the trading post, as you'll be using those as a Reaper anyway. For weapons, get a staff and axe+focus or warhorn for now (one of those will be your secondary next to greatsword once Reaper is fully unlocked). Then look up a minionmancer build on Metabattle or Hardstuck. That will get you through LWS 1 and 2 as well as allowing those farms up there.

PS: always look for Berserker stat combinations (power, precision and focus) instead of the name. There are often weapons and armor with unique names available for cheaper than ones that are called berserkers. The armor you want for example is called Zhed's.

Luggage fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 19, 2022

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

HampHamp posted:

Cheers for the tips, but I'm a bit weird and don't even like seeing the new zones until I get to them through the story.

Maybe I'll give core necro a try until I've got a few more points to spend. The reaper elite spec was only going to be temporary until I do group content, as scourge seems better for that, so it won't be a huge deal. Although I did like swinging a big sword around!

Getting used to the core spec before trying the elites is a good idea if you want to get a thorough understanding of your class. Core lets you try three base trait lines at a time, while with the elites you always need to have one line dedicated to the elite spec. Trait synergies are a big part of what elevates a build from average/good to meta

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

HampHamp posted:

Minion Master is probably your best bet. Something like this is designed for open world / story content:

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Necromancer_-_Core_Minion_Necromancer

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

HampHamp posted:

You're not the first to say that in this thread. To the best of my knowledge, the rate of people who later post saying they regret that decision is close to 100%.

efb

HampHamp posted:

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Necromancer_-_Core_Minion_Necromancer

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Hello Sailor posted:

You're not the first to say that in this thread. To the best of my knowledge, the rate of people who later post saying they regret that decision is close to 100%.

It's me!

I am so OCD about playing things in story order, but ultimately the suffering was not worth it. You won't spoil anything by hopping into expansion zones and grabbing hero points. The areas themselves aren't ever really spoilers for anything since all the cool stuff happens in story instances.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Pryce posted:

It's me!

I am so OCD about playing things in story order, but ultimately the suffering was not worth it. You won't spoil anything by hopping into expansion zones and grabbing hero points. The areas themselves aren't ever really spoilers for anything since all the cool stuff happens in story instances.

I was the same way, but my husband bullied me into getting the raptor mount way before I got to PoF, and man that was 100% worth the "I'm not supposed to be here wtf is happening" brain itch it gave me. Doing that and then getting the glider really opened up a lot of things (including in the base maps) and doing that and then running HP trains really helped me enjoy my classes a bunch too. I totally get wanting to do everything in order (I just finished the entire storyline in order myself) but man I really enjoyed mixing it up more than I thought I would.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
It gave me the raptor early on just for getting the game, I had to buy the expansions to keep it but never had to set foot in them. I also have a glider by accident - I joined a guild and then thought I'd look at the guild House, turns out the guild house is part of a later expansion and it automatically gave me the glider.

Just made a fresh core necromancer I'm just gonna continue through living world, wish me luck!

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Even if you follow the story you wouldn’t step foot in half of the zones. I GUESS if you did the dungeons when the mail hits you’d see more but, if you were Norn, you’ll never have a story nudge you into Brisban or Metrica, or probably even Frostgorge.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

That's the good and bad thing about this game, there's always more, lots more, especially early on. You might take a "quick" detour to get your glider and raptor, but then if you stick it out just a bit longer you get your bunny and glider, then you'll want to get the masteries up a bit so they get their upgrades, then the griffon is in sight, and thats not even getting into the weeds of the living world seasonal content or the new expansion.

Then when you try to go back to the original story and low level content you might feel bad thinking you could be making mastery progress if you played your 80 instead. Or you'll get tempted to try one of the fun elite specializations when running around leveling a base character.

Meanwhile the people with all the masteries replay the low level story over and over to farm keys for lootboxes.

Before you know it you'll be barrel rolling along on a pink storm dragon, swinging a disco ball around, and glowing so brightly from your neon pastel bling that players in the other map instances won't know why they are shading their eyes.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Anyone know any good ways to farm Imperial Favor other than "do meta events until your eyes bleed?"

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I decided to actually read the 1-80 personal stories for each of the races and the Sylvari one is pretty rad. I liked the idea that sylvari are good-oriented idiots and have to learn how the world works really, really fast

I never reeeeeeally paid attention, but it seems like the Sylvari are just basically children who believe in chivalry and doing the right thing and all that. They're really trying to be the standard "knights in shining armor" (which is itself a naive concept that was never actually true). The Nightmare Court are also children who decided being good is lame, so they do whatever the exact opposite of being good is. Both are extremely naive idiots; the Nightmare Court's naivete is pretty funny because as sadistic and hosed up as they are, they're still just children playing as the bad guy and not really understanding what they're doing. They're like "my mom wants me to do good in school so I'm going to do bad in school"

Riannoc was really funny too. He's trying to be a do-gooder knight and dies by getting his sword stolen by his squire (a child) while he's under attack by undead, lol. like, what a loving idiot

then you kill the squire (as an adult) and steal the sword back from him.

The human story is extremely boring by all accounts comparatively. Caithe is much cooler than Logan, too.

Gonna do the Norn story next because charr and asura are whatever to me. asura, especially. i probably wont do asura

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

T1 and 2 were great but not it's a ton of primadonnas doing gear checks and leaving at the slightest issue.

I need to just tough this out until T4, which will hopefully be soon. I have the gear for it, just not the frac level.

In every co-op game the middle difficulty is ALWAYS populated by the least skilled/most toxic and those two traits cause a feedback loop of suck.

Try and skip ahead to T4 asap by joining some guildies group and just slot in 150 AR and some fractal potions, people will know what they are doing and be more chill.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Magres posted:

Anyone know any good ways to farm Imperial Favor other than "do meta events until your eyes bleed?"

That's pretty much it. You can do the 3 for 5 trades at the heart vendors and the one DE writ for karma daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

Im sure it was said above, but no. you can skip t3.

Hang in t2 to get your ar up, go to t4.

Sometimes, very rarely, is t3 fun