Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Llamadeus posted:

Alicent just entered and they're literally looking at her during that dialogue. I don't know how that can be interpreted any other way.

at least 1 person thought there was magic involved instead of poking a horse in the nose. some people need things explained to them in every detail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Vegetable posted:

If I recall the dialogue literally says nothing about a dress. A colorblind person would have to infer that the discussion about colors somehow relate to Alicent.

I know, I addressed that two posts earlier. It’s a very easy inference to make. It just seems like a strange complaint from someone who already thinks the dialogue is overly expository was my point.

Starks posted:

I’m also colourblind. It’s extremely obvious from the context that they are referring to her dress.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Llamadeus posted:

Alicent just entered and they're literally looking at her during that dialogue. I don't know how that can be interpreted any other way.
Maybe you could just accept that this colorblind person experiences the world differently from you and stop implying that they’re actually just really bad TV viewers.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yes. I know. Which is why I’m remarking on how I knew that from the books because the show did not make that clear.

No I do not have a solution, I’m pointing out it will be a problem going forward.
My point is that it only makes sense to include that dialogue if she is wearing a green dress, thus the simple inference that she is indeed wearing a green dress.

Vegetable posted:

Maybe you could just accept that this colorblind person experiences the world differently from you and stop implying that they’re actually just really bad TV viewers.
The default assumption in any TV IV thread should be that the person in question is a really bad TV viewer.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Also the scene could have been in black and white, since they're literally saying out loud "Oh snap! She's rocking a green dress, that means she's looking for a fight!"

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Well gently caress me all to hell for mentioning a concern.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

stev posted:

Given that they had to explain the colour thing somehow I'm not too bothered that they have some gossipy bitches at a banquet explain it.

I interpreted the horse thing as Daemon feinting an attack, causing Rhea to react suddenly and spook the horse.

I think daemon operates fully on the level of “gently caress it” and makes snap choices. I don’t think he went their fully intending to kill her but she called him on poo poo and then he caused her to get hosed up and then doubled down when she told him off.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
alicent appear in a dress, stunning the whole room into silence. everyone stare at her.

man staring at her: do you know what color hightower wears when they go to war? Green

goon: this is a huge gently caress you to the color blind

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

OctaMurk posted:

alicent appear in a dress, stunning the whole room into silence. everyone stare at her.

man staring at her: do you know what color hightower wears when they go to war? Green

goon: this is a huge gently caress you to the color blind

Do you often think about invisible things.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Robobot posted:

Also the scene could have been in black and white, since they're literally saying out loud "Oh snap! She's rocking a green dress, that means she's looking for a fight!"

Yeah, but a fight with who? No one knows Alicent’s holding a grudge against Rhaenyra.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Can’t wait for Daemon to drop fools into the hole at the Vale. That was always a fun set.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It really loving sucks we don’t get the map open. I want to see Driftmark and a revised Kings Landing with an intact Dragonpit.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

ruddiger posted:

Yeah, but a fight with who? No one knows Alicent’s holding a grudge against Rhaenyra.

It's just even more foreshadowing which they've been slathering on. Basically the entire kingdom knows what's going to happen when the king dies except him. They've shown peasants putting on plays talking about how it's a bad idea to have a queen as a leader.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ruddiger posted:

The entire realm is invested in the looming succession crisis because the king's current heir, Rhaenyra, is not his firstborn son, Aegon (Alicent's son). Otto is not the only one thinking what he just told Alicent, that her children's lives are in danger the moment Rhaenyra gets the crown (and probably earlier)

Dead forum user
Oct 1, 2021
Why did they rush the wedding? Wasn't there supposed to be 7 days of tourneys and stuff. Judging from the previous tourney we saw, they don't care that much about minor knights getting their skulls bashed in.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

ruddiger posted:

They don't have to know that particular detail for all the reasons Otto laid out.

I think my biggest complaint about the actual plot so far is that characters like Alicent need things like that spelled out for her, or that nobody is counselling Rhaenyra on her political strategy. Half the cast is guileless as Ned and sleepwalking into oblivion. I'm not sure if its intentional characterization or just a byproduct of adapting the book (which I haven't read so idk if the characters are more naive in the show).

Dead forum user posted:

Why did they rush the wedding? Wasn't there supposed to be 7 days of tourneys and stuff. Judging from the previous tourney we saw, they don't care that much about minor knights getting their skulls bashed in.
Alicent showed up wearing her old house's colors, Daemon's bannerman just accused him of murder in front of the Hand of the King, and the bride's kingsguard just beat to death a bannerman of the groom in front of the entire wedding party. I'd probably say gently caress it and shotgun marry them, too.

unlimited shrimp fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 19, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dead forum user posted:

Gotta lock it down with Laenor before he has time to react and scuttle the alliance.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Dead forum user posted:

Probably just budget reasons imo

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

unlimited shrimp posted:

They don't have to know that particular detail for all the reasons Otto laid out.

I think my biggest complaint about the actual plot so far is that characters like Alicent need things like that spelled out for her, or that nobody is counselling Rhaenyra on her political strategy. Half the cast is guileless as Ned and sleepwalking into oblivion. I'm not sure if its intentional characterization or just a byproduct of adapting the book (which I haven't read so idk if the characters are more naive in the show).

Yeah, I think Rhaenyra's closest political advisor is Viserys, which... Doesn't bode well for her plans.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

Gotta lock it down with Laenor before he has time to react and scuttle the alliance.

That's my take too. The queen's bodyguard just literally beat the groom's best friend's face off. Best skip to the important part before something else happens.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, I think Rhaenyra's closest political advisor is Viserys, which... Doesn't bode well for her plans.

Daemon too, but if anything that's worse.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Dead forum user posted:

The Dynasty is hanging by a thread, with a bunch of powder kegs, most of which are lit by people currently at the wedding. They want to solidify this alliance before something else goes wrong or someone makes a move, and the banquet made clear they may not even have had seven days. Even aside from Christen, just in the previous few minutes the Queen is essentially declaring her allegiance to her house and not the Targaryens, and Daemon showed up and started making out with Rhaenyra on the dance floor.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

Do you often think about invisible things.

Honest question. The scene stops mid speech, the queen enters alone, the entire room watches her make a dramatic, scene-stealing entrance. The king looks sad, devastated even. The queen nods to her family as she passes them in the hall. They nod back, obviously beaming with pride. Camera centers on two characters, one of which asks "The beacon on the hightower, do you know what color it glows when Old Town calls its banners to war?" the other replies, with a grin, "green"

What do you think a color blind viewer should infer that they are talking about? Specifically.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
The way they mention the green dress while we're seeing her enter with the green dress (sorry colorblind folks) is absolutely clunky. Someone upthread said they should have had Hightower colors mentioned before the entrance, rather than having someone lean over like Littlefinger to Sansa at the joust talking about how curious it is for dude to have just been knighted under curious conditions. It was dialogue to the audience more than it was between characters, so it feels dumb. Give Otto a line as he's leaving Alicent like, "If Rhaenyra sits the Iron Throne Aegon will be killed and on that day the green banners of Hightower will..." blah blah blah. Let the silence of the room tell the story, rather than practically breaking the fourth wall.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
How on earth does Criston Cole stick around after that? I don't mean in the immediate aftermath, obviously the show just gave him a free murder in front of everyone pass. How does he stay at the Red Keep with Laenor around?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Honest question. The scene stops mid speech, the queen enters alone, the entire room watches her make a dramatic, scene-stealing entrance. The king looks sad, devastated even. The queen nods to her family as she passes them in the hall. They nod back, obviously beaming with pride. Camera centers on two characters, one of which asks "The beacon on the hightower, do you know what color it glows when Old Town calls its banners to war?" the other replies, with a grin, "green"

What do you think a color blind viewer should infer that they are talking about? Specifically.

I went, “O so they’re doing that part of the book? Okay, then I’m guessing the dress must be green.”

Then I thought about it today and realized I couldn’t do that if I hadn’t read the book, and I remarked on that. Because it would’ve been harder to follow.

I don’t think about colors very often because I can’t see them so they’re not usually relevant.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

PostNouveau posted:

How on earth does Criston Cole stick around after that? I don't mean in the immediate aftermath, obviously the show just gave him a free murder in front of everyone pass. How does he stay at the Red Keep with Laenor around?

The queen is protecting him and Laenor is merely a prince consort and do you think they are gonna be like "hey im gay and you killed my boyfriend" - lots of whispers about laenor being broken up by the killing of a minor house knight

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think daemon operates fully on the level of “gently caress it” and makes snap choices. I don’t think he went their fully intending to kill her but she called him on poo poo and then he caused her to get hosed up and then doubled down when she told him off.

If anything, I thought Matt Daemon was more of a dick before he turned around with the rock. Leaving someone quadriplegic in a medieval setting, that's just cruel and unusual. Finish the job, you freak

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Viserys/Corlys/Rhaenya probably locked Laenor/Rhaenyra down while everybody was clearing out. Don't need any more unexpected deaths before the alliance is formally sealed.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

I went, “O so they’re doing that part of the book? Okay, then I’m guessing the dress must be green.”

Then I thought about it today and realized I couldn’t do that if I hadn’t read the book, and I remarked on that. Because it would’ve been harder to follow.

I don’t think about colors very often because I can’t see them so they’re not usually relevant.

That's not really an answer to the question. What should a colorblind viewer (not you) infer from that dialogue? What should a colorblind viewer think they are talking about?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I assumed he slipped out amid the chaos but someone said he was brought out by guards so idk. In theory they don’t know what started the fracas and the deceased doesn’t seem to be from an important family so they could have just said whoop let’s deal with it later as well.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

That's not really an answer to the question. What should a colorblind viewer (not you) infer from that dialogue? What should a colorblind viewer think they are talking about?

Do you usually harass people like this.

I do not have answers for what this hypothetical person should think. Why would I have this knowledge from just having a concern. If I didn’t read the books I, personally, would have guessed it might be that and then would have taken a screenshot to check with someone else to confirm. Which would be annoying.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Kinda surprised Daemon planned enough to not have it where his wife was mysteriously burned to death by a large creature

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

LegionAreI posted:

So is Lyonel Strong as good of a guy as he's coming off? He seems to be the only one who has any brains in the entire show.

He'll probably do something awful at some point, but he seems like the seven kingdoms perpetually disappointed but well meaning dad.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

I assumed he slipped out amid the chaos but someone said he was brought out by guards so idk. In theory they don’t know what started the fracas and the deceased doesn’t seem to be from an important family so they could have just said whoop let’s deal with it later as well.

Yeah I'm referring to preview images that show Criston Cole is still working in the Red Keep after the time skip. He's training some of the noble kids in combat in a future episode.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

In fairness, the age of the actresses fucks things up a bit here. You have one 18 year old actress playing a 15 and 20 year old, while you have a 12 year old actress playing a 12 year old, and then a 22 year old actress playing the same character at 17 years old. Functionally, one character basically aged a decade while the other did not.

Guess Laena had a hard paper round.

Also, what the gently caress was Matt Daemon complaining about, his wife seemed way cooler than the average Westorsi noble. Dumbass.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Criston probably has Alicent covering for him now, as she works up political allies, and Rhaenyra isn't going to let Laenor banish her fuckboi in any case.

Daemon doesn't want a strong woman. His two stable relationships are with his niece, who he wanted to gently caress but backed off when he realized she was into it, and a prostitute who depends on him for protection.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 19, 2022

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
He wasn't related to her hth

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Sentinel Red posted:

Also, what the gently caress was Matt Daemon complaining about, his wife seemed way cooler than the average Westorsi noble. Dumbass.

When it was revealed he got married to a badass arya type i actually laughed because what a loving idiot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Rhea should have killed Daemon and taken his place in the show.