Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I make $55k as tier 1 helpdesk/desktop support in NoVA. Is that low?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

johnny park posted:

Depends on a bunch of stuff. How many years experience, certs, degrees, benefit package, a whole bunch of stuff.

I want to say it feels low, but if you have less than 2 years experience in IT, and are working for a decent company on W2 with a reasonable benefit package it's not terrible as someone's first/second IT job.

I wouldn't stick around for long though, get some good experience and job hop as soon as you can for more money.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

kensei posted:

I'm going to be an Infrastructure Engineering Manager working for a goon who I've worked with before. I'm excited.

I’d say something like “downside: working with a goon” but if it’s anyone from this thread it’s unlikely to be a downside.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

johnny park posted:

Do you find yourself able to buy the things you need or want without worrying? I hear north Virgina can be a pricey place.

Same boat as you, I'm probably not making a lot of money, but it's also twice what I used to make so I don't mind for the moment. I'll see how I feel at the 6mo mark

LochNessMonster posted:

I’d say something like “downside: working with a goon” but if it’s anyone from this thread it’s unlikely to be a downside.

sounds like a challenge

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Depends on a bunch of stuff. How many years experience, certs, degrees, benefit package, a whole bunch of stuff.

I want to say it feels low, but if you have less than 2 years experience in IT, and are working for a decent company on W2 with a reasonable benefit package it's not terrible as someone's first/second IT job.

I wouldn't stick around for long though, get some good experience and job hop as soon as you can for more money.

I got hired out of vet hospital work with no experience/certs/degrees :anime: But I appreciate the input. My brief Indeed searches show positions that really only want people with 2+ years of experience if they don't have the other stuff so I might be here a while

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

thank you

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

So were you sobbing watching the funeral or out day drinking?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I beg to differ. Working with me is a nightmare.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Bonzo posted:

So were you sobbing watching the funeral or out day drinking?

Yes

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If a monarch dies every week that'd do amazing things for the 4 day work week.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And for the world in general tbh.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Podima posted:

And for the world in general tbh.

:chaostrump:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Local government desktop support where I use to work was paying $65-85k a year with great benefits. Not all that high for an urban/high cost area.

Basically the same for federal level employees. DoD is one of the lower paying ones in terms of grade of positions and you'd still start off at ~60k. Others are a step higher and you'd get between 68k-90k on non-supervisory tech support. In 3 letter law enforcement agencies you can get 100k+ on tier 1/2 desktop support with a caveat that you have to deal with a lot of travel bullshit.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
Question for anyone who ever worked IT for an apartment or an ISP who serviced one...
I was looking around inside an IDF , having never seen how they are set up in multifamily tenants before, and it looked like it was just a switch with ethernet cables running to each of the individual apartments and a connection back to a router patched to a fiber panel. Am I right in assuming that switch is most likely owned and managed by the ISP who has a contract to service that building? Or would the building be responsible for buying the equipment? It would seem really odd for it to by managed by a third party as I've never had to deal with anyone but the ISP to get service in an apartment before.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

LochNessMonster posted:

It's like you don't even read my posts.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

SyNack Sassimov posted:

It's like you don't even read my posts.

Please

although if you do work with me you're probably making 180k and working in some high tech poo poo under complete and utter idiots.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

jaegerx posted:

Please

although if you do work with me you're probably making 180k and working in some high tech poo poo under complete and utter idiots.

I assume the idiots get paid even better.

So, y'all hirin' any fresh idiots?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I assume the idiots get paid even better.

So, y'all hirin' any fresh idiots?

I’m currently applying to be clam downs manager. I’m learning windows.

I'm gonna hire everyone here and I want everyone to teams clam down SA memes all day long.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 20, 2022

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
We all work together. Sickening is our boss. But he also works for himself. He's challenges all the tickets he assigned himself on the kanban board

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sepist posted:

We all work together. Sickening is our boss. But he also works for himself. He's challenges all the tickets he assigned himself on the kanban board

One trick that employers don't want you to know about

"Use your middle name in order mix things up among multiple employers"

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sickening posted:

One trick that employers don't want you to know about

"Use your middle name in order mix things up among multiple employers"

As much fraud as I am willing to do, I don't think using my passports and european bank accounts would really help me.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
For 200k remote I'll send him cspam memes

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
If we could get multiple jobs with multiple passports I'd go get my third passport and start multijobbing

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I guess I'm the only idiot trying to have less jobs.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Same, we can be idiots together

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

One job and one job too many.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 20, 2022

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

I want to have multiple jobs, but only put in the amount of effort I currently do. I think its doable tbh

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

70k for desktop support? no wonder 0_0

anyway my "i have to do everything myself" boss isn't in yet and we have a server cert expire. it would be trivial for me to fix... if i had the auth

for real I make $33K lol

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ijyt posted:

for real I make $33K lol

oof, been there. Hope you are looking elsewhere or at least for something remote that pays more.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That was right out of college, fighting for entry level positons in a recession, wages (mine was 29k.) Another year and we may be there again!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

drat, I made 46.7K right out of vocational school (data technician) back in 2007, in a NOC alerts monitoring position.

Not horrible at 21yo.

The job was kinda meh, so I only stayed with the company for 14 years :shepface:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 20, 2022

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
40k/yr as jr sysadmin in DC area in 2013.

Yeah, I was getting robbed blind. I got better though.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

nitsuga posted:

One job and one job too many.

Agreed. I need more time for my hobbies.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

FungiCap posted:

40k/yr as jr sysadmin in DC area in 2013.

Yeah, I was getting robbed blind. I got better though.

Same here, but in NYC. thumbs down.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Agreed. I need more time for my hobbies.

Same, I just want to work 30 hours a week. Enough to live on, but still time to do other things.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got 33k a year in NYC.. in 1998.

I was definitely getting robbed and you all got robbed worse.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Some days I wonder why I still work IT in manufacturing. I get to work on super cool poo poo sometimes but other times it’s just trying to secure/fix/maintain some garbage controls system application poo poo onto my plate by an OEM.

It’s amazing to me how you can buy a multi million dollar automation or robotic system and then when they give you their design document for how the control’s network is put together it’s a bunch of loving unmanaged switches, physical servers/HMIs, and no backup system. Love to see a motion control system that requires PTP running over a spiderweb of 30 4 port phoenix contact unmanaged switches in 30 different jboxes or random cabinets. Getting any of those things changed is usually a pain in the rear end and half the time you just have to virtualize their garbage application and redo their garbage network after and just not tell them.

Then you get to deal with the sec team trying to stomp your balls all the time because, yes there is win7, XP and other trash on the network. No it can’t be updated until X machinery retires or engineering comes through to redo the HMI. Just be loving happy it’s in a VM with some kind of backup system behind it and a decent network in front to try to protect it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Industrial automation is the worst.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Wibla posted:

Industrial automation is the worst.

The more I work in it the more I’m amazed that things aren’t literally on fire all the time

The only saving grace at least at this company is that 1) my single digit million dollar projects are minor line items so no one nickels and dimes me to put in dumb unsupportable poo poo and 2) Robots and factory floor staff are the best customers you’ll ever have.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The size of the shitshow is directly proportional to how involved IT is, at least in my experience. IT people generally have no loving clue about how to manage OT networks properly.