Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Man-In-Madden posted:

Man, I’ve been loving the hell out of my Steam Deck since I got it in July but have they said anything about improving navigating the store from it? Between the cursor resetting position when scrolling down a list and it weirdly randomly reverting back to old store pages of sales that have ended, it’s such a pain to look around the store for games.

I've also experienced weird control issues in the store where moving up and down will no longer properly select game titles in the wishlist. I'm sure it's just some lovely webview thing they can update whenever they get around to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tiny Timbs posted:

If you have a Microcenter near you they've started selling drop-in 1TB SSD replacements for $110: https://www.microcenter.com/product...-and-steam-deck

I'm a little wary because Valve said to probably avoid loving with the internal drive, but this is very tempting. I did some load time testing of my own and saw that I'd shave off a good 10-15s on some of the games I play by loading off the internal vs the SD card. I have the 256GB internal SSD, though, because I was considering getting a 2TB internal drive some day in the future but then I got spooked.

How safe is it to swap the drives? The ifixit doesn't look too daunting but they rarely do.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

jokes posted:

I'm a little wary because Valve said to probably avoid loving with the internal drive, but this is very tempting. I did some load time testing of my own and saw that I'd shave off a good 10-15s on some of the games I play by loading off the internal vs the SD card. I have the 256GB internal SSD, though, because I was considering getting a 2TB internal drive some day in the future but then I got spooked.

How safe is it to swap the drives? The ifixit doesn't look too daunting but they rarely do.

Tons of people with zero experience on Reddit have done it successfully.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I haven’t ever had a gaming pc. The $5 Deck reservation was first money I ever spent on Steam, but I’ve got one hopefully out for delivery today

I appreciate the OP. Is there anywhere else I can watch for deals and emulator tips? I didn’t realize there were so many neat rom hacks to optimize old games for the Deck, but some of the tutorials on Reddit don’t seem great and we’re probably written by children.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

With NVME replacements the issue is usually heat dissipation, which is why PS5 SSD addons generally need a heatsink to work at full speed. Not sure if that's going to be a problem with the type they use in the Deck but I doubt it. I don't see how else it could cause any problems besides maybe draining the battery more if it runs faster.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tiny Timbs posted:

With NVME replacements the issue is usually heat dissipation, which is why PS5 SSD addons generally need a heatsink to work at full speed. Not sure if that's going to be a problem with the type they use in the Deck but I doubt it. I don't see how else it could cause any problems besides maybe draining the battery more if it runs faster.

Since the shielding stays intact (or should, at least) I'd imagine the worries that Valve had on the drive loving with wi-fi/bluetooth would be mitigated somewhat. But now I'm wondering about heat dissipation, especially since I'm considering swapping the fan too while I'm opening it up.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
My understanding of valve warning people not to modify the SSD was that, in the instance they did it, it was an SSD larger (physically) than the deck was designed to accommodate. Is that the case with this one on sale, or is it the same size as the one inside, just with more capacity?

I say this like I'll be getting one, but I don't really think a 40 mile drive to the nearest Micro Center with one in stock is worth it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Momomo posted:

My understanding of valve warning people not to modify the SSD was that, in the instance they did it, it was an SSD larger (physically) than the deck was designed to accommodate. Is that the case with this one on sale, or is it the same size as the one inside, just with more capacity?

I say this like I'll be getting one, but I don't really think a 40 mile drive to the nearest Micro Center with one in stock is worth it.

Same size. Some people were cutting large form-factor drives in half to get them to fit and that was a stupid loving thing to do.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

jokes posted:

I did the first day my deck arrived. :v: If you can use a screwdriver, you're probably fine. Do not forget to remove the SD card, it will snap in half if you try to remove the rear case and it's still inserted. Just know that some of the screws on the shield over the SSD were really tight and make sure you push down hard on the screwdriver to not strip the screw head. I'm pretty sure valve has only said don't swap out to longer drives, but 2230's aren't really a problem. That said, they also use self tapping screws on the back of the case so once you remove them once the drop resistance goes down significantly they say.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

fadam posted:

Any tricks to getting Elden Ring to run better than 40-50FPS?

Not really, even at max TDP and the lowest settings you won't be getting better performance unless someone starts making a Mod for optimizations.

I just testing the lowest setting and resolution, it only got me around 42 at best on Mt. Gelmir.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah the warnings about swapping the drive and thermal issues were back when people were doing stupid poo poo with the replacements. These drives should be nice and swappable. the one thing I did see on reddit about one of them was that they may use slightly more power so they’ll (minimally) impact battery life.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1571908053741740037?t=VMMBqYCS7ULClauIKcx9TA&s=19

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Double dipped on Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 coming from sales reecntly. Cyberpunk can run pretty well after futzing around with some settings but Witcher 3 is a pure joy and still looks amazing.

What did you change with the Cyberpunk settings? I started a new game (haven’t played since launch) and after 10 minutes it crashed and messed up the Deck requiring a hard power cycle. I was using the pose camera on whatever the default settings were for the Steam Deck preset IIRC, so maybe I can just not do that, but it made me wary.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eddiewalker posted:

I haven’t ever had a gaming pc. The $5 Deck reservation was first money I ever spent on Steam, but I’ve got one hopefully out for delivery today

I appreciate the OP. Is there anywhere else I can watch for deals and emulator tips? I didn’t realize there were so many neat rom hacks to optimize old games for the Deck, but some of the tutorials on Reddit don’t seem great and we’re probably written by children.

Come to the Discord, lots of helpful (and especially emulator-helpful) goons there!

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Suburban Dad posted:

That said, they also use self tapping screws on the back of the case so once you remove them once the drop resistance goes down significantly they say.

The trick with self-tapping screws in plastic is to do a turn backwards first so the screw drops into the existing threads instead of trying to cut new ones.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Sep 19, 2022

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

eddiewalker posted:

The trick with self-tapping screws in plastic is to do a turn backwards first so the screw drops into the existing threads instead of trying to cut new ones.

Now that's interesting.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Come to the Discord, lots of helpful (and especially emulator-helpful) goons there!

what discord is that specifically?

eddiewalker posted:

I do that already when putting bolts into their threading properly

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Subjunctive posted:

What did you change with the Cyberpunk settings? I started a new game (haven’t played since launch) and after 10 minutes it crashed and messed up the Deck requiring a hard power cycle. I was using the pose camera on whatever the default settings were for the Steam Deck preset IIRC, so maybe I can just not do that, but it made me wary.

This is what I used for a mostly locked 30 experience. Still headroom to turn things down if you want. Motion blur although I personally hate it when playing on my gaming PC, works extremely well to "hide" the 30 fps.

Edit: Oh, Crowd Density was also turned down, think it was on Medium.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 19, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GreenBuckanneer posted:

what discord is that specifically?

sorry, https://discord.gg/UcHjNTQw

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

eddiewalker posted:

There's gonna be a big halloween sale at the end of October and a huge Winter Sale a little before Christmas. You're gonna end up spending too much money at both of these so go ahead and set some aside. Also join the discord. It's quiet but extremely helpful and friendly.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Man, the only (but not insignificant) issue this thing has is the weight. Idk, comparing it to the switch is kind of apples and oranges, but the form factor on the Switch is definitely better.

Otherwise, loving awesome though. Started Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions last night. A game I've been dying to try for ages given all the hype around it.

If it doesn't have wings or a holder the Switch hurts my hands in portable mode. Like I can't use it for any length of time.

Excellent choice on FFT. There's a patch that removes slowdown if it bothers you.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 19, 2022

nerox
May 20, 2001
FedEx shipping is wild. I ordered my Deck last Thursday. I got my tracking number on Saturday with an estimated arrival of this Wednesday. On Sunday, they changed the delivery date to today, but my package is still sitting in Carol Stream, IL, since Saturday night.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Suburban Dad posted:

That said, they also use self tapping screws on the back of the case so once you remove them once the drop resistance goes down significantly they say.

That’s probably why my Deck is a little creaky after opening it a few times

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Anyone playing FFT:WOTL for the first time are in for a good time, so long as they understand they're playing a >25-year old video game. The WotL remaster did extremely little to the game, other than add some poo poo and change the text.

Save often, and save to different save files every so often!!!!!!

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

nerox posted:

FedEx shipping is wild. I ordered my Deck last Thursday. I got my tracking number on Saturday with an estimated arrival of this Wednesday. On Sunday, they changed the delivery date to today, but my package is still sitting in Carol Stream, IL, since Saturday night.

yea they did the same thing to me. I don't know what's up with their system but it's extremely optimistic

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
Same thing happened to me. FedEx has never been that unreliable for me, but for the deck it was all over the place.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Cowman posted:

yea they did the same thing to me. I don't know what's up with their system but it's extremely optimistic

Yea, I think every single package I've received through them has been some flavor of
Monday: Your order was created and will be here Friday! No wait, it'll be here Tuesday!
Tuesday: No wait, it'll be here Wednesday!
Wednesday: Nope, now it's Thursday!
Thursday: Let's try Friday again!
Friday: Delivered!

So at this point I just stick to the original date they give me, and if it gets here sooner then awesome. But it never does.

Tiny Timbs posted:

If you have a Microcenter near you they've started selling drop-in 1TB SSD replacements for $110: https://www.microcenter.com/product...-and-steam-deck

Also, I heard somewhere that the only Steamdeck you can replace the SSD on is the 64gig model. I tried googling and really got no definitive answer, but it seemed like all the articles were old and someone else upthread mentioned that people were cutting drives in half (wtf) and that's why they wouldn't fit. Before I go spend 100$, can I replace the drive on my 512gig version?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Soysaucebeast posted:

Also, I heard somewhere that the only Steamdeck you can replace the SSD on is the 64gig model. I tried googling and really got no definitive answer, but it seemed like all the articles were old and someone else upthread mentioned that people were cutting drives in half (wtf) and that's why they wouldn't fit. Before I go spend 100$, can I replace the drive on my 512gig version?

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to upgrade the drive. AFAIK Valve hasn't said anything specific about drive upgrading other than just use the same size SSD and don't be a maniac and cut drives in half or whatever.

Here's a guide from ifixit, the official suppliers of steam deck parts, and it doesn't mention anything about it just being for the 64GB version.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Steam+Deck+SSD+Replacement/148989

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
It's a standard M.2 slot. It's not hardware locked or anything. Any single-sided NVMe 2230 should fit and work.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tiny Timbs posted:

That's pretty awesome. Micro Center has a pretty OK parts selection but I didn't expect them to stock something so specific.

Soysaucebeast posted:

That doesn't make sense, I don't see why you couldn't replace the 256/512 NVMe given it's the same slot. More likely, the only people looking to replace the SSD have the 64 GB model since you wouldn't necessarily purchase a more expensive model if you're going to replace the SSD anyways (etched screen aside).

Also Micro Center is pretty easy-going about returns, so even if you couldn't replace it you could just return the SSD.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Soysaucebeast posted:

Yea, I think every single package I've received through them has been some flavor of
Monday: Your order was created and will be here Friday! No wait, it'll be here Tuesday!
Tuesday: No wait, it'll be here Wednesday!
Wednesday: Nope, now it's Thursday!
Thursday: Let's try Friday again!
Friday: Delivered!

So at this point I just stick to the original date they give me, and if it gets here sooner then awesome. But it never does.

Nah, I swapped out my 256 the first day I got it, no big deal. Just be careful to remove the SD card first and press hard on the screwdriver. Easier than an old-school iPod drive replacement.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'd probably pay attention to temps before and after to make sure something wasn't running way higher tolerances than the Deck would expect, but generally that seems pretty safe.

I'm not seeing any real headaches using a SD Card though.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Another quick question. Trying to play Strange Horticulture on my TV in the other room than my gaming PC. Can I use my Steam Deck just as a video output for game streaming? I want to use my mouse and keyboard (the gamepad experience on that game leaves much to be desired), but last time I connected my bluetooth logitech KB to my Deck, it connected as a device but didn't seem recognized as an actual keyboard. The inputs didn't work. Can the video stream to Steam Deck then to my TV, while my mouse and keyboard control the game via my gaming PC via bluetooth?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Got my email today! The deck website above said 90% and 33 more days, so they seem to be ahead so hopefully everyone is getting an early purchase as well.

Edit: NVM, website now says 99.95% so I guess there was a big push after I checked this morning.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 19, 2022

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

blue squares posted:

Another quick question. Trying to play Strange Horticulture on my TV in the other room than my gaming PC. Can I use my Steam Deck just as a video output for game streaming? I want to use my mouse and keyboard (the gamepad experience on that game leaves much to be desired), but last time I connected my bluetooth logitech KB to my Deck, it connected as a device but didn't seem recognized as an actual keyboard. The inputs didn't work. Can the video stream to Steam Deck then to my TV, while my mouse and keyboard control the game via my gaming PC via bluetooth?

Assuming that streaming works like the Steam Link does, then yes you can do this if your bluetooth is in range. You can still do inputs on the host computer when you're streaming to the steam link and it'll work just fine. I assume they haven't changed that.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Cowman posted:

Assuming that streaming works like the Steam Link does, then yes you can do this if your bluetooth is in range. You can still do inputs on the host computer when you're streaming to the steam link and it'll work just fine. I assume they haven't changed that.

Wow I just tried it and it was insanely easy. I thought I was going to need to download a manual or something but it just worked. Thanks!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

8-bit Miniboss posted:

This is what I used for a mostly locked 30 experience.

Thanks a bunch! I’m going to try this out now.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Are there any "always do this first," things to know about the deck? I'm thinking similar to on the PC side where there's things like bios settings to make sure are enabled for performance, certain programs that are installed, undervolting for performance and heat, etc.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Not really. If you want to increase battery life you can turn on the FPS limiter, 40 is the recommendation I saw. For each game you can also alter the wattage of it. Turn on the FPS counter, start cranking down the power until the FPS starts dropping, then leave it there to run it with as little as possible. You can't do much with that for modern games but I can get like six hours of battery life playing old stuff that runs fine at the minimum power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just paid for my Steam Deck! Can't wait!

I'm in Canada, anyone know when I should expect to get it?

So excited!