Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

StormDrain posted:

Well I signed up for the live and in many ways much worse forums at 17 and look at me now! He can also have unrealistic goals of how quickly a project car can be completed and a wife who comments about how nice it'd be to park in the garage.

A girl I was dating in high school introduced me to the forums, many moons ago. I thought :10bux: was too rich for my blood and didn't register an account until years later

She has had an extremely dumpy maroon V8 fox body, probably posted here in AI back in the very early 2000s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Cars are simply too big. Augustin Rudi X1

*edit: and this also bangs very hard

https://twitter.com/midnightdorifto/status/1569691257978617857?s=20&t=2pqS31KxG1PqHxhaE1UYMQ

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 13, 2022

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

For when you say to yourself “wow, this Isetta would just be too big to live with on a daily basis.”

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Anyone want some Colombo V12 cold start? We rolled out our Ferrari 250MM the other day to warm it up and stretch its legs before we send it up to the Audrain concours in Rhode Island at the end of the month. For a car that is 69 years old (heh), this thing freakin' MOVES

https://vimeo.com/749258551

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Cars are simply too big. Augustin Rudi X1

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't fit in there being 250 and 6ft but I still want it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:eyepop:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

StormDrain posted:

Well I signed up for the live and in many ways much worse forums at 17 and look at me now! He can also have unrealistic goals of how quickly a project car can be completed and a wife who comments about how nice it'd be to park in the garage.

Ow, that hits close to home.

GramCracker posted:

Anyone want some Colombo V12 cold start? We rolled out our Ferrari 250MM the other day to warm it up and stretch its legs before we send it up to the Audrain concours in Rhode Island at the end of the month. For a car that is 69 years old (heh), this thing freakin' MOVES

https://vimeo.com/749258551

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My goal for my next free day is to get my transmission back to shift so I can scooch the car over before the first snowstorm.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
This 1920s Willys-Overland Whippet hot rod was at a car show I was at. I don't know the story behind it but I am going to assume it was built in the 70s.

Some interesting artwork.

These look to be vintage Cragars that have had Whippet center caps adapted to fit.

From the same show - some people display signs with their cars, some have diecast replicas of their cars. This has both, with a tiny sign on the diecast car, plus an even tinier car.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

lol I can’t even hate that

How many time out dolls did you see?

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

I haven’t seen one of those accursed things in awhile, I don’t think they were as big a thing up here.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

opengl posted:

lol I can’t even hate that

How many time out dolls did you see?

Yeah, that definitely wraps back around. Usually the signs are a bit :rolleyes:, but he fully committed so points for that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Fornax Disaster posted:

This has both, with a tiny sign on the diecast car, plus an even tinier car.

:lol: this is so dumb and funny. I like this guy

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Fornax Disaster posted:

From the same show - some people display signs with their cars, some have diecast replicas of their cars. This has both, with a tiny sign on the diecast car, plus an even tinier car.

god this owns

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fifty Three posted:

god this owns

Seconding. Or thirding. Whatever.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Would have been better if they didnt point out the extra tiny car and just let ppl discover it on their own

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Whippet... good? Whippet... real good?

I love the commitment on the tiny Cougar. I could go either way with signs like that, if it's outlining some extensive work they can be interesting, but things like "350 Chevrolet Corvette engine bored .030 over" or "1 of 10 metallic mint green 1963 Pontiac Tempets with black interiors, automatic transmissions, air conditioning, and power windows sold in the first half of February 1963 in Calumet City, Illinois" are definitely eye-rolling. If it starts to read like a "I KNOW WHAT I GOT" Craigslist ad, bleh.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

My Dad keeps trying to talk me into making a sign for my Cutlass, but I am not sure exactly I would put on it. “250hp 350 2bbl, 2 speed automatic” “1 of 80,000” “Rare option W39, deluxe seat belts” “Once lost a center cap after being dared to drive down the Use at Your Own Risk Road”.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Fornax Disaster posted:

My Dad keeps trying to talk me into making a sign for my Cutlass, but I am not sure exactly I would put on it. “250hp 350 2bbl, 2 speed automatic” “1 of 80,000” “Rare option W39, deluxe seat belts” “Once lost a center cap after being dared to drive down the Use at Your Own Risk Road”.

A small model of an F7U Cutlass, sans commentaire, and see if anyone gets the joke.

Gutless Cutlass

More vehicles should be named after swords. Rapier, Misericorde, Bastard, etc.

"Yeah, I drive a 2024 Broadsword."

Badass.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

madeintaipei posted:

A small model of an F7U Cutlass, sans commentaire, and see if anyone gets the joke.

Gutless Cutlass

Badass.

More vehicles should have actual names full stop. That's probably a boomer trope, but I stand by it. I hate car names that are just alphanumeric soups :colbert:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ukrainian Technical

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

ishikabibble posted:

More vehicles should have actual names full stop. That's probably a boomer trope, but I stand by it. I hate car names that are just alphanumeric soups :colbert:

I don't mind alphanumeric as long as it parses to something. "BMW 320i". Cool, it's a 3-series, with a 2-litre engine with direct injection, got it... Except they don't all keep that, the Mercedes C180 has a 1,5L engine. Peugeot used to be simple with its numbers too. 106, small city car, 206 hatchback, 406 sedan, all of that generation. Not incredibly inspiring, but hey, makes sense.

EDIT: VV - I didn't think to check the diesel ones, huh. Checked the petrol engines only , but yeah, more reason why it should parse rather than being an artifact

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 16, 2022

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Serperoth posted:

I don't mind alphanumeric as long as it parses to something. "BMW 320i". Cool, it's a 3-series, with a 2-litre engine with direct injection, got it... Except they don't all keep that, the Mercedes C180 has a 1,5L engine. Peugeot used to be simple with its numbers too. 106, small city car, 206 hatchback, 406 sedan, all of that generation. Not incredibly inspiring, but hey, makes sense.

Yeah, for BMW the second and third number hasn't been equal to displacement since I want to say the early 2000s? Now it's more "bigger number = more horsepower". For example, in a 2013 3 series, the 316d, 318d, 320d and 325d all had a 2 litre engine.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Seen in PYF.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

AFewBricksShy posted:

Seen in PYF.

Pioneer for the pioneer.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Yeah, for BMW the second and third number hasn't been equal to displacement since I want to say the early 2000s? Now it's more "bigger number = more horsepower". For example, in a 2013 3 series, the 316d, 318d, 320d and 325d all had a 2 litre engine.

At least as far back as the E21.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Fornax Disaster posted:

This would actually be perfect. Time to celebrate the base models. "LS-swapped just like everything else" "Junkyard brakes" "Junkyard rear end" "No numbers matching anywhere"

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

madeintaipei posted:

Gutless Cutlass

Badass.

That actually is where the name came from. Olds showed a concept car called the Cutlass in 1954 just as the F7U was going into service. It had some very heavy handed fighter jet references in its styling. They showed a car the previous year called the Starfire after the Air Force jet.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

madeintaipei posted:

Badass.

Sunbeam had the Rapier in the 50s and 60s:

The last one looked like a Barracuda that had shrunk in the wash:

Then they also had a sporty badge-engineered version of the Hillman Imp, which in keeping with the blade weapon theme was called the Stiletto:

Not as good the interwar aero-engine called the Napier Rapier, though...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BalloonFish posted:

Then they also had a sporty badge-engineered version of the Hillman Imp, which in keeping with the blade weapon theme was called the Stiletto:

It’s like a Corvair doing fat-guy-in-a-little-coat.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fornax Disaster posted:

You nailed it. Use that.

Powerglide? What year Cutlass?
My '70 Sports Coupe (post coupe) actually has a couple of weird options, like FE3 HD suspension for some reason, and is sorta rare (if not particularly desirable) - most coupe Cutlasses were hardtops.

Fornax Disaster posted:

That actually is where the name came from. Olds showed a concept car called the Cutlass in 1954 just as the F7U was going into service. It had some very heavy handed fighter jet references in its styling. They showed a car the previous year called the Starfire after the Air Force jet.

Starfire was also an upper trim/model of the 98, then a separate model. Pretty handsome car.
Olds has always loved the jet/rocket motif. I mean, look at the emblem!

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

The Starfire was a cool car. My roommate from like 15 years ago would trade his car every month or so because he couldn't afford to register or insure anything and he had one for a lil bit. His car trading days came to an end when he traded one for a lot of weed and a motorcycle and then tried to sell the weed on craigslist and got arrested.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Powerglide? What year Cutlass?

‘68, I have a project thread for it.

It’s a completely different 2 speed transmission Olds called the Jetaway, also known as the ST-300.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Turbine_300

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

MrYenko posted:

It’s like a Corvair doing fat-guy-in-a-little-coat.

Funny you say that, if you didn't know, the Imp/Stiletto is also rear engined!

And also:

quote:

Much of the excellent handling characteristics of an Imp can be attributed to the good location provided to the rear wheels by these wishbones, compared with the leaf springs of trailing arms of its rivals.
This excellent, if rather expensive solution was arrived at after the design team was involved in a serious accident whilst taking a bend at 30mph in a swing axle Corvair (they were evaluating).

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
don't we have a poster here who is/was restoring one of those?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fornax Disaster posted:

‘68, I have a project thread for it.

It’s a completely different 2 speed transmission Olds called the Jetaway, also known as the ST-300.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Turbine_300

Ah, right, I forgot that GM still had bespoke division transmissions that late.
I like the ‘68s. I have a rear side marker from one - love that Olds rocket. I kinda wish they’d have stuck with that on the ‘70-72.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
https://www.facebook.com/groups/modifiedporsches/permalink/608688790922173

This is worth clicking on a Facebook link to look.

And video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDipHXF1X4g

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

13B turbo in a FR 323/Familia that looks like a 911. That's pretty neat.

I'm impressed by a repro fiberglass body that's decent enough to fit factory bumpers and lights.

Lot of nice work there, though, looks like.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
https://twitter.com/_david_ho_/status/1571679993276821504?s=20&t=fFJMGzLHNWkf3C972gCp5A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

modern trucks really are the loving worst.