Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Just browsing the thread to get vibes on OW2. The new OP looks good, but I think it’d help to have a note that’s along the lines of:

“I don’t want to play this, so how do I play OW1 again?”
“You don’t”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

comedyblissoption posted:

GET RID OF ROLE QUEUE

get rid of shields and/or severely nerf it on a per character basis

give everyone passive heal over time after not taking damage for a bit

balance the game so whatever comp mostly works

push support chars into more damage and utility instead of healing if healing is still too powerful

there i saved ow2

this is just paladins.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Blizzard should figure out a way to make people want to play healers. Or then don't have healers in the game. Or don't make it mandatory to have them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
"balance the game so whatever comp mostly works" is such a funny thing to say

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

porfiria posted:

Blizzard should figure out a way to make people want to play healers. Or then don't have healers in the game. Or don't make it mandatory to have them.

5 premium currency if you win as support and have been in game longer than 3 minutes (or you've been in the whole time).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think their solution is to make the new healer very appealing.

Making people play healer when they don't want to is kind of a lost cause (I mostly play support and was a TF2 medic main), but they seem to always be experimenting with variations on characters that heal "automatically" while just playing the character, like Lucio and Brig.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Doin' triage for my team as Mercy while juking fools on the enemy team with GA shenanigans is still -- and will probably always be -- super fun for me. Really excited to mess around with Kiriko's kit. Wall running and "TP get the gently caress outta dodge" sounds fun as a support.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Reddit Lucioing is always fun, even if I suck at it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

porfiria posted:

I liked playing healers but not in the OW2 beta. I'm hoping things will calm down when there's a wider spread playing so I'm matched against people vaguely my own skill level but I felt like I had to play a healer with an escape option or just get constantly dunked on.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I actually really enjoyed playing support in OW2's beta, particularly bridgitte, mercy, and lucio. Not to discount the opinions of those who didn't, but I've just seen a lot of doom and gloom around it, saying you just die to dps constantly, and that really wasn't my experience at all.

Granted I haven't played OW1 since year one so I can't compare it to the modern OW1 experience, but I don't feel like I was dying more on support than other roles (even less in the case of mercy who can just elect to Not Die Forever a lot of the time) and my kits always felt very impactful.

I've been playing a lot of TF2 lately, often of community servers where people know how to shoot guns at heads, so maybe I'm just more okay with spending time in respawn than a lot of people

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 19, 2022

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Lucio players are always having fun. They're basically playing a different game entirely. It's really a blessed existence

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Countblanc posted:

bridgitte, mercy, and lucio.

Two of those three have escape options (lucio in particular was extremely powerful in OW2). I found Brig still pretty reasonable, you couldn't take duels as much without the stun but the damage/healing and the whipshot were enough to dissuade a cheeky dive. I found myself playing Brig as a bodyguard for my other healer a lot of the time.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Time Crisis Actor posted:

Lucio players are always having fun. They're basically playing a different game entirely. It's really a blessed existence

:blessed: :yeah: Lucio mains

Almost gave up on the game until I clicked with him.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
oh also, the support passive is insanely busted

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Time Crisis Actor posted:

This is true and why I have the most hours on him, lol.

[edit] I think most of my time playing the OW2 beta I was on Bap because his rework was really good, and familiarizing myself with JQ in the recent beta to get better at the tank role for my 3 stack (since the other 2 don't play anything else other than DPS or heals).

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 19, 2022

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

If I come back to OW for even a second, it will be to continue to bop people around the room and off ledges as Lucio. No grief, only vibes

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Ana was a lot of fun in the beta. the support passive meant you could afford to use your nades offensively way more

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I found myself playing Brig as a bodyguard for my other healer a lot of the time.

That's exactly how i like to play her, like a dnd cleric; not the toughest fighter but she can help if the mage gets attacked.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Jack Trades posted:

I quit the game once until they introduced role queues, I'll quit it again if they remove it.

I'm not subjecting myself again to teams where 5 (i guess 4 in OW2) players are DPSes running around like headless chickens bitching about not being pocketed. I sooner jab forks in my eyes.

:same:

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

people who like role queue are why overwatch is bad

for a brief beautiful moment in time it looked like blizzard Got It with the implementation of 1-3-2 as a first step, then almost immediately removed the best gameplay change they had made since release due to shrieking freaks who want an fps with no s

someone mentioned hammer guy earlier and yea, hammer guy and his shield are the original big problem with overwatch, along with mace and shield gal and every other gameplay flow breaking shield that only exists to slow the game down until a team can press Q for a big ol’ dopamine hit

quick play and competitive queue times are beyond unreasonable and always will be because surprise, most people playing an fps want to play a shooty character. today in TYOOL 2022 there’s people in this thread complaining about dps players as if it’s the hanzo or mccree main’s fault blizzard couldn’t figure out a design direction for the game, and if you were one of the people who whined about 1-3-2 then you are in fact part of the problem

ow1 is fun in arcade modes, you need fuckin brain damage or something to sit through forever queues for ‘main’ mode matches

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 20, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

hammer guy and mace lady [in concept but maybe not execution for her] are great and fine. I really liked how reinhardt/winston in particular work and would've previously thought it would be dumb to have a melee shielder in an fps.

the problem is when a ton of the player base that made your game successful wants to shootmans and then you yell at the player base no shootmans for you either via balancing or literally making it so you enforce limited shootmans

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Did people not get attracted to Overwatch because of Hammer Guy with Big Shield, Lightning Gun Scientist, and TF2 Medic 2.0? Or was it only just TF2 Scout 2.0, Cyborg Ninja, and Edgy Shotgun Guy?

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I played for Bastion.

Edit: and Phara, Because I still miss the best game every made, tribes 2.

She is nothing like tribes 2, but it is the closest i will ever have.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
is not the original unintended Mercy superjump basically just Tribes' skiing

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wheeee posted:

for a brief beautiful moment in time it looked like blizzard Got It with the implementation of 1-3-2 as a first step, then almost immediately removed the best gameplay change they had made since release due to shrieking freaks who want an fps with no s

someone mentioned hammer guy earlier and yea, hammer guy and his shield are the original big problem with overwatch, along with mace and shield gal and every other gameplay flow breaking shield that only exists to slow the game down until a team can press Q for a big ol’ dopamine hit

quick play and competitive queue times are beyond unreasonable and always will be because surprise, most people playing an fps want to play a shooty character. today in TYOOL 2022 there’s people in this thread complaining about dps players as if it’s the hanzo or mccree main’s fault blizzard couldn’t figure out a design direction for the game, and if you were one of the people who whined about 1-3-2 then you are in fact part of the problem

ow1 is fun in arcade modes, you need fuckin brain damage or something to sit through forever queues for ‘main’ mode matches

People like you are the reason why I want role queue.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Wheeee posted:

Lol. I don't like role queue, but I'm not gonna cry about it and say people have brain damage for liking it. That's some silly poo poo.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
i think one of the intractable problems of OW is that the playerbase hates the playerbase

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The main problem, regardless of role queue or no role queue, is that Overwatch is a fundamentally bad game.

Get rid of ults and make the game at least 12v12 minimum. And make the maps not an embarrassment. Endless unbreakable choke points stopped being cool in like, 2006.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Whitenoise Poster posted:

And make the maps not an embarrassment.

God, this more than anything. How can they have multiple maps that suck so bad they removed them from rotation. How is TF2 map design better than OW?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The maps are gorgeous, and nearly good - they're just too focused on the "big corner" chokepoints. Like others say, TF2 at least had a bit more variety in alternate routes.

Pretty much every Overwatch map would be improved with a bit more de_dust2 and a bit less Operation Metro.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Remove every hero without a gun and all the game modes that aren't deathmatch.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Wheeee posted:

I loved 1-3-2 and also like role queue. What does this mean???

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Choke points have hardly been an issue for me since hamster ball has been introduced.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I actually really enjoyed playing support in OW2's beta, particularly bridgitte, mercy, and lucio. Not to discount the opinions of those who didn't, but I've just seen a lot of doom and gloom around it, saying you just die to dps constantly, and that really wasn't my experience at all.

Granted I haven't played OW1 since year one so I can't compare it to the modern OW1 experience, but I don't feel like I was dying more on support than other roles (even less in the case of mercy who can just elect to Not Die Forever a lot of the time) and my kits always felt very impactful.

I've been playing a lot of TF2 lately, often of community servers where people know how to shoot guns at heads, so maybe I'm just more okay with spending time in respawn than a lot of people

I had the same experience playing Ana, Brig and Moira. While not having an off-tank lets DPS flank more easily, one less heal sponge to worry about means healers get to just murder nerds.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If every hero needs to be focused on shooting a gun Valorant exists; Overwatch is interesting because it has wildly different ways to interact with combat.

Barriers and stagnant gameplay are a problem, yeah, full agreement there.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

as a Moira main, I'm very excited for the 5v5 meta. I had a ball during the beta

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

grieving for Gandalf posted:

as a Moira main[...] I had a ball

:hmmyes:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it rocks. I love being everywhere all at once and simultaneously healing all my teammates and killing all my enemies

I'm looking forward to trying Kiriko for the same reason, I'm excited to see how everywhere she can be

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Speaking of evil science lady, has there been ant official news on if she'll have her debuff purge in live or is it back to the drawing board again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Speaking of evil science lady, has there been ant official news on if she'll have her debuff purge in live or is it back to the drawing board again?

They're reverting it. They can't decide what they want to do with Moira.

They don't realize that you can't gild a lily.