Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Nea posted:

Yeah this is my first one of these like, it's a big square, easy to miss poo poo. Come on y'all it is normal to miss poo poo sometimes you have all done it before

tbh he's in an area with a bunch of un-important player npcs and didn't stick out at all to me. but, I did find him and his 6 tutorials explained what I didn't know.

Also, i assumed anything important would be in a shop and the square was mostly for decoration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ya, its kinda weird that Murch doesnt have a menu option considering how important he is. Its pretty easy to miss all that if youre new to the series

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
You also said a good main ability making it sound like you had four sub ability slots in addition. Which after checking is not a thing

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Twibbit posted:

You also said a good main ability making it sound like you had four sub ability slots in addition. Which after checking is not a thing

Yeah, I worded it badly, sorry.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the square is way bigger than the first two games' but the map in the menu highlights the points of interest that you can't warp to

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Also like 2/3 of the square is entirely empty. But yeah Murch and Tableturf should be on the menu.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

i figure Murch doesn't have a menu option because it's kind of trivial to just walk out of the lobby and find him. probably just wasn't worth the UI real state to have a Murch button

and his services aren't all that useful until 20 hours in so he's less deserving of a mandatory tutorial than just about anything else in the game. so a map icon and Judd tips are all he gets. where's the Tableturf button though....

also i finally unlocked Ranked and this owns. can't wait to be the MVP with my newly acquired Charger skills

(Most Vulnerable Player)

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Wonder if we’ll get the spooooky Halloween event next month like we did in 2

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/Redicnomad/status/1571872164625743873

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Neutering flyfish is a valid strategy, image did nothing wrong.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I sorely dislike that Salmon Run puts a hard cap on your ability to earn money, severely reduces your catalog gains, and awards zero XP. Kinda sucks.

E: this is a regression from 2, where you would continue to get capsules in addition to gear when you pass the daily superbonus

Oh well. Anarchy Series is still super good. I like that it's designed so that even if you wipe you still make a net gain in rank as long as you play well and stick to the objectives on account of the medal system. That's nice. I just wish the game mentioned this systems anywhere, because I feel like a lot of players are put off by not knowing this.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

It is pretty BS that you dont get a base pay for each golden egg collected. These squid kids need to unionize

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Araxxor posted:

https://twitter.com/DrAraxxor/status/1571848428191387650

amazing netcode. simply astounding.

Hold B on a wall and you'll charge up. Let go and your character will auto swim up the wall and jump out when they reach the top. This lets them bypass uninked tops of walls and gives them i-frames for a bit on popping out.

Drop rates aren't known yet. Gold scales are just rare.

You get 1 scale for every 10% HP lopped off. If you kill it, for every 10 seconds remaining, you get another scale.

Cohozuna has a maximum of 40,000 HP. That's all that's really known at the moment.

I feel like those numbers for Cohozuna have to either be individual for each person or are way off since while I've not killed him in some time, the drops have still been piddling.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm falling in love with the octobrush. Two things tho:

1. How the heck do you use the Zipcaster? The bounce-back thing is weird. I always end up hooking on a wall, maybe inking a lil bit, then flying back to where I started just when I'm about to do something effective.

2. drat is the brush bad at inking. Despite consistently getting top splatter, I'm really not contributing points-wise in Turf War. I make an effort to spray everywhere I go as I advance for kills, but it's not really enough. Do I just accept that it's bad at Turf and enjoy splattin' fools until I unlock the other game types?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fedule posted:

I sorely dislike that Salmon Run puts a hard cap on your ability to earn money, severely reduces your catalog gains, and awards zero XP. Kinda sucks.

E: this is a regression from 2, where you would continue to get capsules in addition to gear when you pass the daily superbonus

Oh well. Anarchy Series is still super good. I like that it's designed so that even if you wipe you still make a net gain in rank as long as you play well and stick to the objectives on account of the medal system. That's nice. I just wish the game mentioned this systems anywhere, because I feel like a lot of players are put off by not knowing this.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

It is pretty BS that you dont get a base pay for each golden egg collected. These squid kids need to unionize

Agreed on both counts for SR. Is used to make BANK just running that mode for hours.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

tokenbrownguy posted:

1. How the heck do you use the Zipcaster? The bounce-back thing is weird. I always end up hooking on a wall, maybe inking a lil bit, then flying back to where I started just when I'm about to do something effective.

2. drat is the brush bad at inking. Despite consistently getting top splatter, I'm really not contributing points-wise in Turf War. I make an effort to spray everywhere I go as I advance for kills, but it's not really enough. Do I just accept that it's bad at Turf and enjoy splattin' fools until I unlock the other game types?

When you pop the Inkcaster you have a set period of time to basically dive the enemy base and gently caress poo poo up before you get yanked back out. So go balls out and get super aggro.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Fedule posted:

the rules for anarchy battles mention that you get points based both on wins and any medals earned, but it doesn't go into detail

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Looper posted:

the rules for anarchy battles mention that you get points based both on wins and any medals earned, but it doesn't go into detail

To my general understanding it's 3pts for silver and 5pts for gold which at higher levels are little more than rounding errors if you don't win at LEAST two and preferably three matches to at least break even if you get rolled three times.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah it seems like so long as you get one win you have a decent chance of getting your entrance fee back (I went 1-3 in a rainmaker series and gained 67p from a 70p entry fee), and you're going to gain from multiple wins so long as you're doing stuff.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Fedule posted:

Overtime got mega nerfed, though the capsules in question were just random gear from past runs, and didn't contain anything else. There aren't any capsules this month since it's the first month of the game. What they did was cause it so that gear with 0 slots filled no longer exist, swapping that out for gear with 2 slots. Except 0 slot gear could be exchanged for 5,000 cash. So now overtime pays absolutely no money at all. Good for stocking up on chunks I suppose.

Also for some reason if you go past 4,000 points, the game nerfs your "paycheck" further by having it reward the gear every 400 points instead of every 200. Thanks Mr. Grizz. :argh:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

njsykora posted:

Yeah it seems like so long as you get one win you have a decent chance of getting your entrance fee back (I went 1-3 in a rainmaker series and gained 67p from a 70p entry fee), and you're going to gain from multiple wins so long as you're doing stuff.

This is true, but once you hit S Rank, the fee is 150 and you'll need at least 2-3 wins.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 19, 2022

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Nephzinho posted:

Neutering flyfish is a valid strategy, image did nothing wrong.

I think the image is trying to convey that everyone sees a flyfish and immediate chucks a grenade into its left launcher and nobody throws it in its right

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I'm very glad that chunks are more plentiful in this one because getting the gear setup I wanted in 2 was absolute hell. Being able to swap out the main ability is also extremely cool and good since now fashion can truly reign supreme.

eta: I've hit 25 in tableturf. Is there a cap at some point or does it go on forever?

Relyssa fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 19, 2022

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Relyssa posted:

I'm very glad that chunks are more plentiful in this one because getting the gear setup I wanted in 2 was absolute hell. Being able to swap out the main ability is also extremely cool and good since now fashion can truly reign supreme.

eta: I've hit 25 in tableturf. Is there a cap at some point or does it go on forever?

https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Tableturf_Battle#Rank_and_rewards

It goes on until Rank 50. You're almost 1/6th of the way there, exp-wise!

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

tokenbrownguy posted:

The Zipcaster is situational. It’s a good way to take out a sniper that’s annoying you, for example. I usually wait until I see an objective or enemy I want to take care of and then teleport behind them.

Octobrush definitely trades ink coverage for melee power. In Turf, if you want to ink more, you might like its little cousin the Inkbrush better. It’s faster and inks very well, but you need to get right up in someone’s face to splat with it. But yes always enjoy splattin fools

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Scholtz posted:

https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Tableturf_Battle#Rank_and_rewards

It goes on until Rank 50. You're almost 1/6th of the way there, exp-wise!

God help me my touhou-addled brain wants to go for it just so I can have THE STRONGEST as a title option

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Relyssa posted:

God help me my touhou-addled brain wants to go for it just so I can have THE STRONGEST as a title option

Wait, I can be THE STRONGEST GRANDPA?!

Oh my...

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Can Murch add slots to gear?

Also I gacha’d my way to to a “Careless Group Member” on my title card so I think I’m set there for the rest of time.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

Can Murch add slots to gear?

Yes, it costs a sea snail. You only get snails by participating in splatfests, and they're only distributed when the 'fest ends.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/CHEETOPUFFED/status/1571957550391631876?s=20&t=jzv-khUYh4JJ1bJUjY0PPQ

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
THat game is fail

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Think there's much point in making a writeup of Salmon Run strats, with sections for each stage, special event, and weapon, and general stuff? On the one hand I feel like I could do it. On the other hand I'm not sure what the intersection between readers itt who would care about that stuff and readers itt who aren't already figuring it out or finding it elsewhere is.

Meanwhile,

What's the deal with rank-up battles, exactly? It seems to be the same as an ordinary series battle, except instead of win 5 or lose 3 it's win 3 or lose 3, but I guess other than the special prize for me if I win there's no difference to me or anyone else between this and series battle? I like the idea of a special rank up event but it seems kind of weird next to all the other ranking systems in the game. Oh well. I'm A-rank now (after starting at B thanks to nepotism importing save data).

App says my 5-minute average is 12.1 kills, 4.4 assists, 8.0 deaths and 2.6 wave breakers. I'm 22 for 23. Seems I am just barely okay at video games.

Also,

What's the deal with team XP/money boosting food? I've only ever seen one boost applied to my stats after a game. Do they stack? I know you can only personally have one active at a time but if I've got 2x XP and a teammate has 2x money do we all get 2x XP and 2x money? If we both have 2x XP do we get 4x? (I assume not, that could get silly) Is there any way to tell if a teammate is multiplying your stuff? If everyone in the party has 2x XP and they don't stack is it 3/4 wasted?

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

catgirlgenius posted:

also i finally unlocked Ranked and this owns. can't wait to be the MVP with my newly acquired Charger skills

(Most Vulnerable Player)

actually, every team that beats mine is made up of contemptible tryhards, and every team we beat is made up of laughable worms, not worth the time it takes us to stomp them.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

So very happy that this Splatoon lets me skip the news.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Fedule posted:

What's the deal with team XP/money boosting food? I've only ever seen one boost applied to my stats after a game. Do they stack? I know you can only personally have one active at a time but if I've got 2x XP and a teammate has 2x money do we all get 2x XP and 2x money? If we both have 2x XP do we get 4x? (I assume not, that could get silly) Is there any way to tell if a teammate is multiplying your stuff? If everyone in the party has 2x XP and they don't stack is it 3/4 wasted?

I'm 99% sure I've had both XP and money boosted in the same matcn.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Been struggling with handheld mode. The gyro feels terrible compared to split joycons. I only just noticed after five days of splatting that there’s a separate menu for handheld controls! Hopefully I can make handheld work for me :D!!

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Fedule posted:

Think there's much point in making a writeup of Salmon Run strats, with sections for each stage, special event, and weapon, and general stuff? On the one hand I feel like I could do it. On the other hand I'm not sure what the intersection between readers itt who would care about that stuff and readers itt who aren't already figuring it out or finding it elsewhere is.

Meanwhile,

What's the deal with rank-up battles, exactly? It seems to be the same as an ordinary series battle, except instead of win 5 or lose 3 it's win 3 or lose 3, but I guess other than the special prize for me if I win there's no difference to me or anyone else between this and series battle? I like the idea of a special rank up event but it seems kind of weird next to all the other ranking systems in the game. Oh well. I'm A-rank now (after starting at B thanks to nepotism importing save data).

App says my 5-minute average is 12.1 kills, 4.4 assists, 8.0 deaths and 2.6 wave breakers. I'm 22 for 23. Seems I am just barely okay at video games.

Also,

i would appreciate the strats.

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

Fedule posted:

I’d be interested, especially re: map knowledge.

You can get both money and exp boosts at the same time from teammates, but I think your food doesn’t stack on top of theirs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

Alright then! I had no idea you could buy stuff off people standing around town, and I never noticed that Murch guy.

is any of this stuff explained in-game, or am I dense?

Oh and if you use the Switch Online mobile app there's another shop there that has 8 more items that rotate daily. Anything you order from it can be picked up from murch.