Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

a guy for sure died in our house, i think i know which room even

we just converted it from the guest room to one of my daughter's bedrooms

why does your daughter have multiple bedrooms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
excuse me, she is a princess

but no i have multiple children of multiple genders

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
The cool zone way to get a house involves knowing exactly where the previous owner passed.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

living in europe and watching americans posting their bad houses and crazy prices :yum:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

bitmap posted:

living in europe and watching americans posting their bad houses and crazy prices :yum:

Americans build houses out of sticks and they fall apart in thirty years. also they cost a half million dollars

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Yeah, all my poo poo here is plaster + lathe except for the kitchen that was completely redone in 2006 and the bathroom which got the same treatment in 1996.

My wife's uncle owns a post-and-beam construction house in Ithaca NY and as far as he can tell the house was built in the 1780s. All wood, still in great shape.

Balloon framing, platform framing, drywall, etc are great for putting houses up fast, but we ended up with a nation full of houses that fall apart really fast and no real impetus to redevelop the neighborhoods they were built in.

IIRC, that's because the money that built a lot of those neighborhoods was subsidies from the new deal era; as housing subsidies dried up, housing manufacturers stopped wanting to build small homes and with no future investment in low income subsidized neighborhoods the existing small homes weren't likely to appreciate in value and have largely been demolished and replaced or have crumbled to rotting frames

capitalism is, at this point, a gaping, festering wound we are hemmoraging blood from and the solution since the Nixon era has been to slap a band-aid on it and hope things get better organically and now at this point we'll be lucky if we can just lose a limb

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Americans build houses out of sticks and they fall apart in thirty years. also they cost a half million dollars

yeah i live in a house built in 2003 and it is absolutely loving shocking how much poo poo is broken and breaking all the time

if you live in a new house, get good at drywall repair, you'll have to do it a lot

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

yeah that's because we have trees

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

thinkign about becoming a landlord

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I dont think I put enough spin on that post. your houses are huge and cheap as poo poo.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm not going to live another 30 years, why does my house need to stand longer than that?

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
CSPAM going to CSPAM but no, our houses don't collapse after 30 years. Stick-built houses are fine, like any other structure they do need maintenance and like any other method they can be hosed up.

For an example of how well they hold up compare the the results of the 7.1 earthquake in Anchorage, AK(0 deaths) a few years back to similar earthquakes in other parts of the world. For an example of crap check out some grade-A Texas suburb construction with cardboard sheathing at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMOiMR7b4DY. That's actually a tongue-in-cheek critique of the video I wanted to link but evidently that video has been marked private, probably because the builder responsible threatened to sue.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
two owners ago they went bankrupt renovating this place and it led to a divorce

according to the neighbors they were total assholes tho

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

bitmap posted:

I take it europe is not including the UK here

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

two owners ago they went bankrupt renovating this place and it led to a divorce

according to the neighbors they were total assholes tho

House stuff expenses can get away from you real fast and the bigger the square footage of the house the faster it happens.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hell yeah broke 6% baby

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

oh this dude dropped dead in the middle of the day i assume from masturbating

Many such cases

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

awesome sick so cool love it

https://twitter.com/m_mcdonough/status/1571508465755103234

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i'd love to see that with something more realistic like a 5% down payment

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, the average down payment (not even median!) doesn't come close to 20% for anyone under 50. First-time buyers are almost always going to be right around 3.5%

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, the average down payment (not even median!) doesn't come close to 20% for anyone under 50. First-time buyers are almost always going to be right around 3.5%

you dont even qualify for a mortgage here as a first time buyer with less than 30% (shenzhen)

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

actionjackson posted:

i'd love to see that with something more realistic like a 5% down payment

going to guess something like $3700 for exactly the same thing that would be $2000 a year ago

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

i am harry posted:

going to guess something like $3700 for exactly the same thing that would be $2000 a year ago

It's easy to figure out. At current average sale prices and the current fixed rate average, you're looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $3200, not including PMI or homeowner's insurance.

For a median two-income household, you'd basically need one person's entire net salary just to cover mortgage payments lol

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 17:14 on Sep 19, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If you spend 1/3rd of your after tax income on housing costs that means you need $133,200 after taxes so probably 180,000 before taxes. Median wage in USA is $41,000 or so.

Apr 7, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

It's easy to figure out. At current average sale prices and the current fixed rate average, you're looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of $3200, not including PMI or homeowner's insurance.

For a median two-income household, you'd basically need one person's entire net salary just to cover mortgage payments lol

Wow, sure hope no one gets unexpectedly laid off

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

you want to bring 40% here for a half decent rate

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There's a $100k old fart 3bed/2bath house for sale near me. Fake wood wall panels, acoustical tile ceilings, carpets last made in the 1980s, furnished with the abandoned poo poo of the dead guy that used to live there that no one wants. Also a 28x40 garage.

I might go look at it.

Also a house on 40 acres that needs some serious work for $130k. Like, it's livable, but I wouldn't be moving any kids in it.

Apr 7, 2003

This place here

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/322-Crane-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M41486-49313?ex=2946973756

Was sold at tax auction in 2013 and sat empty for nearly a decade before getting the beige flipper treatment.

The flippers didn’t bother trying to address this damage in any way.

Sure hope no one buys that without having that addressed lol

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

why is the wall plugged into the wall

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

This place here

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/322-Crane-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M41486-49313?ex=2946973756

Was sold at tax auction in 2013 and sat empty for nearly a decade before getting the beige flipper treatment.

The flippers didn’t bother trying to address this damage in any way.

Sure hope no one buys that without having that addressed lol

smh can’t even pay for some tuckpointing

Apr 7, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

That's a wonderful question and I'm sure the answer is extremely hosed up, like that's feeding the electrical outlets in the next room.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Oldest Man posted:

that's probably part of a security system, they do that a lot when they put them in

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The Oldest Man posted:

lol is that a double male cord? that’s amazing

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Could also not be real, just a goof up when trying to photoshop stuff in. There's a piece of software specifically for filling out listing photos with stuff that apparently they all use but the name escapes me

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Bar Ran Dun posted:

https://www.cpsc.gov/Newsroom/News-...isoning-Hazards

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

the whole tv above the fireplace thing a lot of places have now is dumb as gently caress

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Fortaleza posted:

Could also not be real, just a goof up when trying to photoshop stuff in. There's a piece of software specifically for filling out listing photos with stuff that apparently they all use but the name escapes me

Great, so basically 5 years from now AI is going to be generating all the photos for your house listing.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
This Old Groverhaus

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Nothus posted:

This Old Groverhaus

"You know power outages - so inconvenient, right? So what we're going to do is wall a diesel standby generator in where the laundry chute used to be, route the exhaust into the second bedroom, put it on an automatic bypass switch made out of two tin cans and a 1901 penny I found in the foundation, and then connect it into the house with a suicide cable."

"Sounds great, Bob."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

My favorite part about suicide cables is that every single time they come anywhere online, there are guaranteed to be a ton of morons in the comments insisting that while yes, they are very dangerous, they know better and their setup is perfectly safe.

Every. Single. Time.