Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
One (semi related) thing I dislike is a bunch of Marvel books are coming without a Marvel Unlimited code. You gotta take a photo of the book, email Marvel, wait 24 hours, then copy the code into Unlimited. Seems like it's a test to see how well that system works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kinda disappointed in the huge gaps I just came across in old Batman comics on DC Infinite. I haven't been reading every issue, just ones that sound interesting or have origin/first appearance moments but everything up to the late 40s is there if I do want to read it. The 1950s is almost completely non-existent, though. Guess I'll be driving into the Silver Age faster than expected!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Image 30th anniversary humble bundle, pretty sweet. Savage Dragon is worth it, plus cool stuff like Astro City, Witchblade, Darkness, and some Spawn, Battlechasers and whatnot. Cyberforce and Shadowhawk also included.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/..._UVYL1FyyJtQeRQ

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Heavy Metal posted:

Image 30th anniversary humble bundle, pretty sweet. Savage Dragon is worth it, plus cool stuff like Astro City, Witchblade, Darkness, and some Spawn, Battlechasers and whatnot. Cyberforce and Shadowhawk also included.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/..._UVYL1FyyJtQeRQ

That can't be 30 years ago you see I bought all those books when they first came out when I was in high school and that was only 10 years ago right please

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Humble-related: is there any app or other way to basically easily access the entire library of comics I've bought from various humble bundles and either store, move, or otherwise read them without doing individual downloads and renaming?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Zachack posted:

Humble-related: is there any app or other way to basically easily access the entire library of comics I've bought from various humble bundles and either store, move, or otherwise read them without doing individual downloads and renaming?

Not that I've found. I just download them all with the download all button and sort them later.

For what it's worth, I use a PC App called Cover to read books and it does a pretty good job of identifying the books without having to rename them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

My biggest annoyance with them is that double page spreads seem to be saved as two single pages (at least in the CBR files). And some of these Image books that I'm still reading from a couple years ago are formatted in a way that I can't tell it's a spread until I read half the text.

I could go into the files and edit the image files to be correct, but that's work that I forget to do once I read the issue and it stays incorrect. Probably not going to read most of this stuff a second time, so :effort:

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Humble Bundle have an european sci-fi comics bundle, having read some of them, I think its great value in this bundle.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/european-sci-fi-and-fantasy-comics-from-cinebook-books

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 28, 2022

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rincewinds posted:

Humble Bundle have an european sci-fi comics bundle, having read some of them, I think its great value in this bundle.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/european-sci-fi-and-fantasy-comics-from-cinebook-books

What's this about izneo? Can you redeem and download the comics from izneo and then not use it for do I have to read them through that app as well?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Lobok posted:

What's this about izneo? Can you redeem and download the comics from izneo and then not use it for do I have to read them through that app as well?

Reddit is saying no and that the bundle might have other limitations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lobok posted:

Nope. App-only, supports "offline reading" but it's "you can ask the app to precache some stuff", not "you can download a DRM-free copy".

There's probably some way to strip the DRM using the web viewer, but while this bundle looks cool it doesn't look cool enough for me to put the work in, especially when I haven't even finished reading the take from the last (actually DRM-free) hundle I bought.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I'm not a huge fan of the new Comixology reader and the fact that I can't download the DRM-free version of any comics since Amazon redid the subscriptions (at least the old ones are still available). I've only been subscribing to one comic recently anyway (Monstress by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda) - so I was wondering if there was a place that sold the DRM-free version of Image comics for download, ideally in CBZ format. I can set my own reminder to check for it, don't need a subscription. Google Play has them but only does export to PDF. Marjorie Liu doesn't sell them for Monstress on her website as far as I can tell :(

The comedy option I suppose is to start buying the physical copy once a month from a comic book store.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I feel ya, it's a strange time for digital comics. At least some do cbz as well on Google Play, like Erik Larsen's books, epub as well sometimes. Seems to vary by author.

I don't like any of the official readers myself, Perfect Viewer for life. Gotta keep my zoom fix percent. That's what I need.

Also I notice Image authors often have a good price on Amazon, but forget to put it on sale on Google. For example Reckless book 1 is drm free on Google's store, is 20 bucks, but is 15 on Amazon digital. No idea why it's like that, I figure they set their own prices? My guess is Google's digital store is a pretty small niche for comics, even though it's the one I'm using now.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the new Comixology reader and the fact that I can't download the DRM-free version of any comics since Amazon redid the subscriptions (at least the old ones are still available). I've only been subscribing to one comic recently anyway (Monstress by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda) - so I was wondering if there was a place that sold the DRM-free version of Image comics for download, ideally in CBZ format. I can set my own reminder to check for it, don't need a subscription. Google Play has them but only does export to PDF. Marjorie Liu doesn't sell them for Monstress on her website as far as I can tell :(

If you can export to PDF from Google Play, you can usually convert those to CBZ pretty easily.The pdfimages tool (part of poppler) will extract all the images in the PDF and for most PDF comics there's just one big image per page, so you can then just zip those back up and you have a CBZ. If the PDF is doing something weird you can use convert (from imagemagick) to basically "print to image files" and then zip those, although this often results in massively increased file size.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

:aaaaa: I didn't know that! ImageMagick worked perfectly for me and the size of the final cbz was pretty much around the other chapters I already had :v: Thanks!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
if you're a marvel unlimited subscriber, you can submit your name to be printed in the next subscriber's kit comic now. i got an email with the information in my inbox.

i get a nice little kick out of getting the comic book with my name on it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Just got this email from comiXology.

quote:

To remain in compliance with updated Google Play Store policies, the option to buy comics, graphic novels, or manga or subscribe to Comixology Unlimited will no longer be available in the Comixology app for Android with the release of app version 4.0.1.

What's the updated store policy they are talking about?

Not that it matters, I mostly only use comiXology to get screenshots of physical Marvel books I've bought these days.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

Uthor posted:

Just got this email from comiXology.

What's the updated store policy they are talking about?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/04/google-play-crackdown-makes-amazon-barnes-noble-pull-digital-purchases/?amp=1

Basically drilling it down, Google is going an Apple route of requiring companies to charge for any purchases through their service exclusively , Amazon doesn’t wanna do that so they’re pulling out

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lmao jesus rip comixology

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Ugh, loving thanks, Google.

(though I'm in the habit of paying for things on the computer instead of the phone.)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
And thus the world responded with the sound of one hand clapping.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's been like that on apple for years already, although that was fine when they had a working website you could browse easily

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

Well, at least they have a robust stand-alone website that's very user friendly.

Wait, they did what!?!

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I guess I should be grateful for amazon continuing their effort to save me money by making it too much of an effort to buy anything.

Also Humble have their yearly(?) Transformers bundle for those who had not picked it up yet. 2 days left of the sale.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/transformers-final-phase-idw-books

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 31, 2022

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah this whole thing with Amazon annoyed me enough I stopped buying from comixology. Picked up a year of marvel unlimited for I think 50 bucks and am very happy to wait 3 months to read stuff.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I need to hit up comiXology to catch up on TMNT*, but I've been reading X-Men crossovers with some friends during COVID and don't have time for much else.

*I actually have like 25 titles from Image that I've been reading digitally and have fall off from for about two years, but there's only a small handful I really want to catch up on. I think most ended, anyway.

I'm also behind about three different issues released recently through Panel Syndicate, but I'll get those probably this weekend.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/comics-are-for-everyone-pride-month-collection-books

quote:

Celebrating LGBTQ comic stories & creators
In honor of Pride Month, we’ve assembled an expansive collection of comics & graphic novels exploring the LGBTQ experience—through their characters, themes, and stories, or written and drawn by LGBTQ creators.

Discover dozens of superhero sagas, sweet fairy tales, and slice-of-life stories, and choose how much of your purchase supports our featured charity for June: The Trevor Project, the world’s largest suicide prevention and crisis intervention organization for LGBTQ young people.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

A friend got these and asked what I use to read Humble Bundle comics on my Windows computer. I realized that I've been using CDisplayEx for, probably, a decade. And I once had it install some crap software when I didn't read the install popups and clicked okay on an ad.

I also don't know if it handles touchscreens (his laptop can open 360 degrees and be used like a tablet).

Is there a good Windows app for reading CBR/CBZ files with a touch interface?

Alternately, reading the PDF files, instead. I don't generally like pulling up comics in PDF, but maybe there's a great app for that, now.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Wuvable oaf is charming for the first 2 stories then you keep reading and realize every story has the same gag.

How is that starforce? Is it just gay power rangers?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Uthor posted:

A friend got these and asked what I use to read Humble Bundle comics on my Windows computer. I realized that I've been using CDisplayEx for, probably, a decade. And I once had it install some crap software when I didn't read the install popups and clicked okay on an ad.

I also don't know if it handles touchscreens (his laptop can open 360 degrees and be used like a tablet).

Is there a good Windows app for reading CBR/CBZ files with a touch interface?

Alternately, reading the PDF files, instead. I don't generally like pulling up comics in PDF, but maybe there's a great app for that, now.

I use Cover for Windows on my Surface. CDisplay is still good, but I like the library management of Cover.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Complete Love & Rockets bundle on Humble Bundle:

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/...hics_bookbundle

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Wow. Catching up on X-Men Unlimited Infinity Comic and #24 written and drawn by Declan Shalvey really takes advantage of the infinite scroll.

(The "panels" before fire him out of a plane and make him seem like a missile. The long scroll really builds up the reveal.)

They really make use of the scrool in their issues, though a lot of it features characters falling.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I feel stupid in hindsight because yellow orange white isn't red, but I was scrolling down looking for Cyclops...

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

bagrada posted:

I feel stupid in hindsight because yellow orange white isn't red, but I was scrolling down looking for Cyclops...

:same:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Replying to a different thread:

Shumagorath posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but what's a good reader + app combination for someone who wants to expand their collection and has no shelf space left? I know the iPad Air is probably king, but the only app I know by name is Comixology and it sounds like utter poo poo.

Ideally, I'd like something that will work on an ARM Surface and handle paid comics and eBooks along with some not-so-paid content I've had lying around since that stuff was available on SA. More than willing to upgrade that to paid versions if the panel-by-panel zooming is worthwhile.

So, basically, comiXology has become the main digital comics store. Most publishers use them. Anything else has sporadic support and nothing from the big publishers (Marvel, DC, etc). And, I think they got rid of their Windows support? (you'd have to use a browser) The only thing comiXology supports is books bought through comiXology.

An alternative to buying comics through them, if you are into the Big Two, is Marvel Unlimited and DC Universe Infinite. They are like Netflix, you pay monthly/annually and get access to their catalogs. Back catalogs are iffy, new comics seem to come out about 6 months after publication.

Smaller publishers/indies/self-publishers/Kickstarter will sell digital copies of their work as PDFs and CBR/CBZs (CBRs are just renamed RAR files full of JPGs, CBZs are the same but ZIP files). You will not get these from the big publishers (Image did it for a long time before jumping completely to omiXology). There is a bunch of readers of these files, depending on which OS you are running. I'd tell you what I'm using on Windows, but it is very old and tried to install some BS one time, so I'm not going to spread their name (it still works and I rarely use it these days). I'm very out of date with Android apps. There have been a few iOS ones mentioned recently.

And, one thing to definitely check out is your local library. The specific app will depend on what the library uses.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Most libraries use Hoopla, which let's you check out a certain number of comics a month, you need a library account to access it.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Digital comics hack: find a library system with the ideal number of Hoopla checkouts per month and buy yourself a year's membership. Take that, Comixology Unlimited!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

To add to this: Comixology also has their Comixology Unlimited service which, despite the name, is not at all unlimited, but it does have a ton of back content, as well as some exclusive stuff. I think it's $6 per month and you can check out up to 50 books at a time.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just note that Comixology Unlimited still isn't available outside of the US despite them planning to do it for years now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Space Fish posted:

Digital comics hack: find a library system with the ideal number of Hoopla checkouts per month and buy yourself a year's membership. Take that, Comixology Unlimited!

Tell me you don't use the library without telling me you don't use the library.