Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

A couple more tidbits, you can still get a download of a cbz or pdf for a lot of Image comics, via Google play books. On a store page for a book where you click About Book, if it says "this content is DRM free" it allows a download. That's the only way I buy digital comics, as well as 2000AD's online shop which has downloads etc.

Perfect Viewer is a great viewer for Android I use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
That's great to know!

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Skwirl posted:

Tell me you don't use the library without telling me you don't use the library.

What's wrong with that scheme? Plenty of libraries allow out-of-county memberships.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

I was unaware libraries had membership fees. Is that for if you don’t live in the county or something?

Edit: wow, mine does offer memberships for a fee. It’s $180 a year.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

vkeios posted:

I was unaware libraries had membership fees. Is that for if you don’t live in the county or something?

Edit: wow, mine does offer memberships for a fee. It’s $180 a year.

$180! poo poo, for that, I can just fund my own comic book buying for (does math)... Oh, that's not a very long time...

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I am willing to put together a list of Hoopla-subscribed libraries sorted by annual fee.
There are cheaper deals than Comixology Unlimited just waiting for your ravenous reading eyes!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Just note that Comixology Unlimited still isn't available outside of the US despite them planning to do it for years now

My 'favourite' thing about this is that they never seemed to add regional store pages or something to remove the 'Unlimited' section in countries outside of the US.
Before Amazon killed the site, it would always have an Unlimited section right on the front page, despite me being in the UK. "Look at all these comics you can read if you sign up for Comixology Unlimited! What? No you can't sign up to get them!"

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah the full switch to Amazon outright kill my comic book purchase binges. It’s been months and they’ve made zero effort at fixing anything at all after they put out a toothless statement saying they were looking at things. Trying to search or browse anything in Amazon loving sucks.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

We all know the solution to this problem.

Use Marvel and DC unlimted!

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I haven’t bought a single thing since the switchover.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Been doing a book club with some friends, so all I have time with right now is X-Men comics I buy at the store and reading old X-Men and, now, DC crossovers on their apps. Which means that I am super behind on the Image comics I was following digitally 2 or 3 years ago.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

We all know the solution to this problem.

Use Marvel and DC unlimted!

That's honestly gonna be part of it. If the dissatisfaction with Amazon led to those growing then there's no incentive for the Big Two to pressure Amazon to fix things.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah honestly right when I stopped using comixology because of the change, marvel unlimited offered me a year for 40 or 50 bucks so I took it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think Comixology being terrible is going to hurt indies a lot more Marvel or DC, which are owned by Disney and Warner Brothers respectively, so can just be run at a loss because then they make a billion dollar box office movie based on the characters.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

DC Infinite jsut added a bunch of Mad Magazines. They're from 2018 but still

E: christ this is pretty dire, I thought maybe there’d be some reprints in there or something but no

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 12, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Opopanax posted:

DC Infinite jsut added a bunch of Mad Magazines. They're from 2018 but still

E: christ this is pretty dire, I thought maybe there’d be some reprints in there or something but no

Do they at least have Spy vs Spy?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yes. Also there was some Argones stuff which was unsurprisingly the best part

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Looks like they added their new Ultra tier at the same time. It's about $25 more than the regular Infinite, but it includes more stuff (looks like the more M rated stuff like black label and vertigo) which is kind of lovely, but it also bumps the delay way back so that new comics show up there after 30 days now, which might actually be worth it.
Assuming Discovery keeps the comics division around for another year, anyways

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Opopanax posted:

Looks like they added their new Ultra tier at the same time. It's about $25 more than the regular Infinite, but it includes more stuff (looks like the more M rated stuff like black label and vertigo) which is kind of lovely, but it also bumps the delay way back so that new comics show up there after 30 days now, which might actually be worth it.
Assuming Discovery keeps the comics division around for another year, anyways

At least here in the UK, the intro price is just over £70 which is basically the same as if you bought 2 monthly titles for the whole year at current pricing, so if you read more than 24 issues on it over 12 months, it's basically paying for itself.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Edit: Never mind, my browser was buggy.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 23, 2022

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Rincewinds posted:

Edit: Never mind, my browser was buggy.

Ah, the future. Reading comics being interrupted by internet browser bugs...

Go Comics was down for almost a week and I couldn't get my daily Nancy and Pearl's Before Swine intake.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

DC adding ultra tier ends they service for me, this is just lovely

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Upsidads posted:

Yeah I think it just outright sucks to charge more and still have a delay. I'd be cool with paying that additional cost if I could read new comics as they came out, but if I gotta wait a month I'll just be content to stay 6 months behind. Not like I'm wanting for more comics since I already have too much to read.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Upsidads posted:

I'm using it for a book club and it's "hilarious" how much stuff is missing. We're reading event comics from the late 80's, mostly done in Annuals, and there's tons of Action Comics and Batman issues missing.

We just went through Eclipso: Darkness Within and the Eclipso issues were missing!

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Humble Bundle have a collection of manga by Kazuo Koike , including Lone Wolf and Path of the Assassin and Image has several collections from the last decade, including Saga.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/black-friday-encore-lone-wolf-cub-and-more-koike-from-dark-horse-books

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-comics-30th-anniversary-10s-books

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Rincewinds posted:

Humble Bundle have a collection of manga by Kazuo Koike , including Lone Wolf and Path of the Assassin and Image has several collections from the last decade, including Saga.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/black-friday-encore-lone-wolf-cub-and-more-koike-from-dark-horse-books

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/image-comics-30th-anniversary-10s-books

I think I have most of those Image books and don't really have time to catch up on what I'm missing, but a lot of them are good!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I have a sinking feeling I can sense the answer but did a replacement for Comixology ever resurface? I really miss spending small amounts of money on huge amounts of digital comics with a convenient way to read them on a pc.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

SlothBear posted:

I have a sinking feeling I can sense the answer but did a replacement for Comixology ever resurface? I really miss spending small amounts of money on huge amounts of digital comics with a convenient way to read them on a pc.

It sucks but I have learned to live with all the things that are bad about new Comixology because other services are too much of a hassle/don't have as many good deals/don't have as big a library/etc.

The new app feels less broken than when they first rolled it out, at least.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

if you have access to Hoopla through your library it has a really awesome and entirely free comics library. i use it way more than i ever used comixology these days.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Srice posted:

It sucks but I have learned to live with all the things that are bad about new Comixology because other services are too much of a hassle/don't have as many good deals/don't have as big a library/etc.

The new app feels less broken than when they first rolled it out, at least.

Hmm. The app is better, but the lack of guided view just feels bad.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

if you have access to Hoopla through your library it has a really awesome and entirely free comics library. i use it way more than i ever used comixology these days.

I think I do. I will check it out!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Holy heck you weren't kidding. They've got Saga Volume 10 on here! :buddy:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

SlothBear posted:

Holy heck you weren't kidding. They've got Saga Volume 10 on here! :buddy:

Tangentially, the newest Humble Comic Bundle has a ton of Image books from the last 10-15 years, including Saga TPBs 1-9 (whole series aside from latest).

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

What’s worth reading in the bundle besides Saga?

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Curse words was decent fun. What I've read of Ice Cream Man has been really good. Sex Criminals is great. Injection was good but I don't think I read the third trade and have no idea if it wraps up or not (I suspect not). Luther Strode was a solid action book with great art if you like Tradd Moores style. Copra imo is excellent but you only get one trade, but it's also got a pretty specific art style so it may bounce off you. I enjoyed the one volume of Zero that I read.

Basically I'd say if you're asking if anything else is good than I'd argue that getting the bundle is very worthwhile as you'll almost certainly find something you really like.

I didn't care much for Happy, ad after death, and generally dislike Luna brothers stuff. What I read of Revival was OK but it seemed to drag out and have characters doing dumb things for plot reasons, but maybe it finished better.

There's stuff I haven't read too.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 2, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've read and liked:

Saga

Sex Criminals

Sea of Stars (this isn't the full series, I don't think)

I Hate Fairyland

Luther Strode

Copra

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Servoret posted:

Savage Dragon! I like how across the 90s, 2000s, and 2010s Image bundles, you get all of Savage Dragon. The mini-series and 1-262, the latest issue from this year. Pretty darn sweet. This particular bundle has Savage Dragon 179-262. That's ten years of Savage Dragon issues, up to date.

It's the second issue of the "Invasion!" story arc, but I'd say you could just pick it up and keep reading. Especially anybody who wasn't checking out Dragon anyway, and now owns a bunch of it. This was the period where they were moving focus from the original Dragon to his son Malcolm and adopted daughter Angel. These days circa #262 it's about Malcolm, his wife Maxine, and their bunch of superpowered kids.

Also Savage Dragon: Ultimate Collection 1 is out this week in paper coincidentally. I love the whole series, but for somebody not interested in the whole run, I'd recommend the original mini-series, ongoing #1-21 (the first big arc), and jumping in wherever you can. If anyone has the previous 2000s bundle too, some great jump on points are #145, #150, or #155's Dragon War arc.

And some standouts from this 2010s bundles bunch of #179-262, starting with #179 works, #182-183 are a cool 20th anniversary story, #184-192 is the incredible Savage Dragon on Trial and follow up arc. #193 is A New Beginning, one of those first issue in a bold new direction deals, Malcolm is cemented as the star at this point. #200 and #223-225 are very big oversized anniversary sagas. Comics don't get much bigger than #225, one of the greatest. And since then, it's wild, it's all over the place, and it still rules.

Or barring that, I'd say give any of them a try.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Servoret posted:

The art in Luther Strode is so loving good. The story is great as well.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Fanatical has a pretty decent looking horror comics bundle . Nothing I've read personally but a few I've definitely heard good things about.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I love The Unsound, but have heard no one else talk about it, which is a bummer. That’s worth it for the bottom tier alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

I liked Eat the Rich well enough. It wasn't as good as Sarah Gailey's novels but for what I think was her first comics outing it was pretty solid.