Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Don't buy devices that require an app. IoT is a plague

a thousand times this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I recently replaced a microwave, the brand I landed on was Panasonic. Costco was selling the 800W ones for a very good price, but I don't know if they've rotated out of stock or not, I wanted a larger one to match the one I had previously so I had to buy at Best Buy with slightly worse pricing.

I don't drive so there is no Costco I could get to but I will look up Panasonic microwaves. Thank you!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Look for the Panasonic ones that use Inverter Technology

It uses continuous microwaves instead of cycling on off

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I thought you generally do not want a microwave below 1100 watts as that is the wattage most recipes are designed around.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If you're cooking with a microwave, I suppose that's correct and true, but if you're getting a smaller one in the 800W range, I'm betting the most it gets used for is reheating last night's leftovers and making hot water.

The best investment, of course, is to get a food cover. It's a plastic or silicone dome that covers whatever you're reheating. Let the chili splatter all over *it* instead of on the inside of your microwave, so you don't spend time scrubbing out messy reheats, and it acts like clingwrap and holds steam inside. I swear that they reduce the amount of time it takes to reheat something, but have no emperical evidence.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 19, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

pseudanonymous posted:

I thought you generally do not want a microwave below 1100 watts as that is the wattage most recipes are designed around.
I think if your microwave is underpowered or overpowered you can just adjust accordingly.

Microwaving isn't really that precise anyway.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Stupid-ish question, but anyone have splatter screen recommendations?

Got this OXO one way back because it looked more solid than ones I've used in the past:

https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Stainless-Splatter-Screen-Folding/dp/B0007VO0DU

But honestly it's not great. I feel like the holes are too big and let a ton of splatter out. I mean, it's better than nothing, for sure, but it just seems like it's not living its best life.

Do the mesh/screen ones work any better? I know nothing is going to keep 100% of the splatter in the pan, but I feel like I could do better.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I’ve had the same mesh ones for decades, they work fine.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I have a mesh screen from ikea that was dirt cheap and works fine

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Brother Tadger posted:

I have a mesh screen from ikea that was dirt cheap and works fine

:same:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

How do you all clean your splatter screens? Dishwasher seem like they’d be too harsh on the mesh and washing them by hand sucks.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I hate splatter screens in general, it always seems like the oil just snipes oil droplets right into the holes with unerring precision when I know that factually, it's a larger drop of oil flinging upwards that hits the screen and gets chopped up by the wires, but you'd think in <CURRENT YEAR> there would be a better alternative.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Mine also smokes vigorously if it's even a little bigger than the pan I'm covering, which immediately sets off my lovely apartment smoke detectors.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

nwin posted:

How do you all clean your splatter screens? Dishwasher seem like they’d be too harsh on the mesh and washing them by hand sucks.

The dishwasher is fine and also washing it by hand is easy. The thing cost like five dollars

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I hate splatter screens in general, it always seems like the oil just snipes oil droplets right into the holes with unerring precision when I know that factually, it's a larger drop of oil flinging upwards that hits the screen and gets chopped up by the wires, but you'd think in <CURRENT YEAR> there would be a better alternative.

Why not just use a lid?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

Why not just use a lid?

lids steam and keep moisture in when often you want as much of the moisture to come out as possible while simmering or searing

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There should just be like a dual layer lid where the bottom layer catches the oil while still allowing steam to sneak out the top layer.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Vegetable posted:

There should just be like a dual layer lid where the bottom layer catches the oil while still allowing steam to sneak out the top layer.

I think you’d still get some condensation and then more splattering maybe? I dunno.

Anyway, yeah the one I have is just a fine mesh with a little handle and it seems to work decently enough. I chuck it in the dishwasher when I’ve used it and it comes out fine.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Picking up an air fryer since I miss having a convection oven and the form factor is great, from poking around it looks like Philips is still the good one?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wheeee posted:

Picking up an air fryer since I miss having a convection oven and the form factor is great, from poking around it looks like Philips is still the good one?

I think this depends on whether you want one that is also a toaster oven. If you don't need that, the cosori one I have is fantastic and like $139CAD on amazon right now.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

El Mero Mero posted:

Why not just use a lid?

Chromatics posted:

lids steam and keep moisture in when often you want as much of the moisture to come out as possible while simmering or searing

Maybe what I *need* to try is one where instead of mesh, it's hole-punched sheet metal.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

VelociBacon posted:

I think this depends on whether you want one that is also a toaster oven. If you don't need that, the cosori one I have is fantastic and like $139CAD on amazon right now.

Nah I want the best air fryer, don’t want a combo device.

Those Cosori’s are what largely prompted my question, that brand is everywhere but I can’t tell if actually good or just extremely effective social marketing; most reviews of them on Youtube are either free review units or straight up sponsored.

Thanks for your input! I’m strongly tempted to just spend double for the Philips for no future second guessing, but hearing good words on Cosori from someone who I assume wasn’t given a freebie is helpful, gonna do more poking around.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wheeee posted:

Those Cosori’s are what largely prompted my question, that brand is everywhere but I can’t tell if actually good or just extremely effective social marketing; most reviews of them on Youtube are either free review units or straight up sponsored.

Thanks for your input! I’m strongly tempted to just spend double for the Philips for no future second guessing, but hearing good words on Cosori from someone who I assume wasn’t given a freebie is helpful, gonna do more poking around.

Yeah I didn't get it for free. I haven't used other ones to be fair but this one does the thing you want and it's fast and even and doesn't put smoke out.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

We read ATK articles and watched lots of review videos and settled on the Ninja 10 Quart 2-Basket https://a.co/d/4ASCggc $200 on Amazon but $140 from Costco https://www.costco.com/ninja-foodi-6-in-1-10-qt.-xl-2-basket-air-fryer-with-dualzone-technology.product.100788916.html

Since Costco has an amazing "years later it breaks" returns policy that cinched it.

Only complaint is the bucket style form factor makes fishing out pizza and tomato pie slices very difficult, and there's no way to turn off the fan so reheating bacon or stale tortilla chips they rattle around like a powerball lottery tumbler.

It's large, too, but for us that was essential since our oven is basically garbage and it's been really nice to have the extra capacity and ability to cook or reheat two different things at once.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Sep 20, 2022

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Wheeee posted:

I have an Instant Vortex 6 qt air fryer and it's the bee's knees. Works great and the only "issue" was that it had a pretty strong plastic smell the first couple times we used it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I'd like some new flatware.

I like the ones I have (very heavy, Continental size, plain cylindrical handles).

price isn't terribly important.

I'd just buy more of the ones pictured but I think they were a TJ Maxx one-off from about 15 years ago. (I prefer the four-tined plain-handled forks in this set but I can't loving find one to photograph.)

any recommendations?

(cross-posting in kitchen equipment and knifes)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mikasa has some nice flatware. Costco frequently carries their stuff and is where we bought our last set. I personally prefer a lighter weight while my wife prefers heavier so we ended up with the heavier ones, but there's quite a selection out there.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
We went with Mepra flatware. Common to restaurants and hotels so it's very durable.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
both good leads, thank you

edit:

someone in knives got the exact pattern in two.

I love this dead gay website.

Empty Sandwich fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 20, 2022

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Man those round forks and spoons always hurt my hands to hold. I like’em flat

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If you're cooking with a microwave, I suppose that's correct and true, but if you're getting a smaller one in the 800W range, I'm betting the most it gets used for is reheating last night's leftovers and making hot water.

The best investment, of course, is to get a food cover. It's a plastic or silicone dome that covers whatever you're reheating. Let the chili splatter all over *it* instead of on the inside of your microwave, so you don't spend time scrubbing out messy reheats, and it acts like clingwrap and holds steam inside. I swear that they reduce the amount of time it takes to reheat something, but have no emperical evidence.

This is pretty much it boiling water or the lazy drunken Celeste pizza. Mostly boiling water though.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Puffy McMuffinesque Egg Disc:

Egg

1. whip egg with fork
2. pour into greased (spray can) ramekin
3. microwave in 15 second increments (or just blast for 30 - 60 seconds)
4. flip halfway to "looks good" or don't

combine with:
English Muffin
Cheese
???

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Steve Yun posted:

Same, although in this case I think I'd be more worried about entertaining with flatware decorated with ornamental nooses.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Steve Yun posted:

I'd never given it much thought before I got these. my partner at the time liked the look of them and I've grown to enjoy how they feel.

they're hefty as poo poo, meanwhile. a salad fork is about 2 3/4 oz / 75g

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Wheeee posted:

I have a Cosori too and like it (although I just moved to a place with a convection oven so I'm not sure how much use it will see now). As stated, it does what it says on the box and I think the basket is the right size/shape for most things you would want an air fryer for.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Thanks folks, went on a lil air fryer deep dive recently and all the recommended units here are quite well-reviewed and popular, the Cosori models in particular. Was going to order a Cosori until I noticed I had some gift card balance on my Amazon account which let me rationalize possibly overpending on the Philips.

It arrived yesterday, after having seen all the common units in use and taken apart on video I'm quite pleased with the Philips design and build, I tried a bunch of random lazy frozen stuff in it, and I'm not sure if this was the best or worst purchase I've ever made.

Bought it with visions of beautifully cooked chicken pieces without the mess of frying on the stove dancing in my mind, now suddenly thinking I'll be found a year from now dead of a Kirkland coronary.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Wait until you discover what it can do with chicken wings :henget:

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I want to get a food chopper. Mostly for garlic and jalapenos, but wouldn't mind if it could do bigger things onions too.

Something like this seems good, but any recommendations?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YTFU...18%7CB0002YTFU0

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Xenoborg posted:

I want to get a food chopper. Mostly for garlic and jalapenos, but wouldn't mind if it could do bigger things onions too.

Something like this seems good, but any recommendations?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002YTFU...18%7CB0002YTFU0

Just get a knife and do it properly - those things are trash, hard to clean, impossible to sharpen, total gimmicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

They all suck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbQs8prWBkU