Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i just talked with a startup cto who was like well idk you don’t have gcp or go or kubernetes on your resume and and that’s what we use here so i’m a little hesitant

and i was like well no but knowing the right cloud api calls or whatever out of the gate is a relatively unimportant part of the job, i can learn that stuff, the value i can bring is knowing more
broadly how to ask the right questions and how to devise strategies to answer them

and he said yeah you’re right that’s a really good point

had that really not occurred to him? i was expecting “oh we’re a tiny startup that actually cannot afford even a little time for technology ramp up,” not to seemingly change his mind. maybe he was just lying to be polite idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

raminasi posted:

i just talked with a startup cto who was like well idk you don’t have gcp or go or kubernetes on your resume and and that’s what we use here so i’m a little hesitant

and i was like well no but knowing the right cloud api calls or whatever out of the gate is a relatively unimportant part of the job, i can learn that stuff, the value i can bring is knowing more
broadly how to ask the right questions and how to devise strategies to answer them

and he said yeah you’re right that’s a really good point

had that really not occurred to him? i was expecting “oh we’re a tiny startup that actually cannot afford even a little time for technology ramp up,” not to seemingly change his mind. maybe he was just lying to be polite idk

he’s cto at a startup and a moron, but I repeat myself

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

on the one hand he started with a bad stance that is both reprehensible but extremely common.

on the other hand he listened to your argument and changed his mind, which is something a lot of adults can't do.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
had a final round for an internship position today and had to do a graph traversal problem that involved multiplying edge values. i was praised for evidently being the only one out of ~200 intern applicants he's asked that question to do depth-first search on a graph iteratively instead of recursively ....

i'm not the only one who was expressly taught that doing recursion on a graph is awful practice right ????

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it actually depends pretty hard on the language. tail recursion in common lisp is optimized to hell and back but java will pop the stack with ease

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
to clear up the context we're talking university-level technical interviews where people are used to using python or java or whatever from leets codes. none of these kiddos use lisp

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its bad times w normal peep algol langs mostly yeah

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a basic thing about programming in the wild is that it can be deeply unfortunately stupid

like you would expect that specific dfs tail call bustin the stack fuckery to not kill peeps by fuckin w their car brakes, right?

right?

https://users.ece.cmu.edu/~koopman/pubs/koopman14_toyota_ua_slides.pdf

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
tbh i'm mostly just proud of myself for pushing back on it

i was thinking of bdid's "interviewing is just sales" the whole time

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

bob dobbs is dead posted:

a basic thing about programming in the wild is that it can be deeply unfortunately stupid

like you would expect that specific dfs tail call bustin the stack fuckery to not kill peeps by fuckin w their car brakes, right?

right?

https://users.ece.cmu.edu/~koopman/pubs/koopman14_toyota_ua_slides.pdf

holy poo poo. i feel like i generally write good code but remind me to never work in a shop where my code quality is relevant to peep's lives

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

raminasi posted:

tbh i'm mostly just proud of myself for pushing back on it

i was thinking of bdid's "interviewing is just sales" the whole time

congrats

now go prospect more. theres a huge ironic effect where prospecting (and qualifying prospect) is most important in the insane;y low-volume sales and obviously youve got only one of yourself to sell so you gotta go prospect a lot

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lord fifth posted:

holy poo poo. i feel like i generally write good code but remind me to never work in a shop where my code quality is relevant to peep's lives

proper FuSa projects will have coding standards based on the safety integrity level of the component. in a C project like this involving ASIL C/D hazards as a junior engineer you’ll have hard rules for using language features, rules for libc calls and rules for system/kernel calls. these rules are to keep you inside a safe “box”. any failure would be of the entire engineering process and not a personal one

in short: be scared away from embedded automotive projects because of lower salaries than a FAANG and having to work in suburban Detroit

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

lord fifth posted:

i used to work on software that ran doctors' offices and the appointment scheduling part was low-stress but i'm really happy that i never had to touch the parts that measured and dispensed drugs

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

proper FuSa projects will have coding standards based on the safety integrity level of the component. in a C project like this involving ASIL C/D hazards as a junior engineer you’ll have hard rules for using language features, rules for libc calls and rules for system/kernel calls. these rules are to keep you inside a safe “box”. any failure would be of the entire engineering process and not a personal one

in short: be scared away from embedded automotive projects because of lower salaries than a FAANG and having to work in suburban Detroit

hey hey hey you would have to work in toyota city, aichi, japan, basically bought from the japanese government as a company town with dormitories and de facto company scrip and everything

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

will always remember when i started a job working on ECG software and asked about testing only to be told "it's not life critical, who cares"

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
Help! I have been doing devops for about two years now and turns out i loving hate it. A lot of my time amounts to fixing cloud problems for web developers that should know better. I graduated college late 2020 with a swe and my boss gave me the devil’s choice of being a devops or webdev. At the time devops seemed cool because that team had more autonomy, and I was already doing admin. Do I have any good path forward to getting back into development with my current experience, or do I have to learn php / react and make a bunch of fart portfolio apps? My job market is the hell that is silicon valley. I write some go, some python, but nothing on the regular because I am mostly crying at yaml.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

if you still like the company see if its possible to switch roles

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

What do you want to do instead? Apply for those jobs or move internally

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

all in all the company is a good fit for me. i do not have professional experience as a web developer, but it probably doesnt hurt to ask. actually i was under the assumption that it would hurt to ask because the current team is small and leaving would probably cause headaches.

e: i applied to several programming roles this evening. mostly some sort of “backend” title, but some roles with descriptions vague enough that they couldnt say no to be based on description bullet points. if i could pick anything it would be a backend programming role, but those are asking for experience and educational chops that i dont think i have. it is prob not as confusing as all this but recently i applied to a dev role. the recruiter basically said “You arent qualified wanna do IT to get your feet in and transfer later?” and it pretty much broke my brain.

Bored Online fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 20, 2022

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

MononcQc posted:

on the one hand he started with a bad stance that is both reprehensible but extremely common.

on the other hand he listened to your argument and changed his mind, which is something a lot of adults can't do.

that’s a really good point and a super rare quality in a person

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Bored Online posted:

“You arent qualified wanna do IT to get your feet in and transfer later?” and it pretty much broke my brain.

that's just a crooter being a crooter

e: If external they likely recon (probably correctly) that it will be less work and more pay to put you into IT. If internal they are thrilled because getting IT folks is hard and they can dangle a reward in front of you to depress salary.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 20, 2022

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

passed a technical interview phase but the heavy hitter interviewer guy was late and had to leave early and seemed distracted and the other guy was really light on questions or deeper technical discussion and also new to the company

but I’m moving onto the next phases I guess, so :shrug:

the crooter let me know that while I passed they felt like I didn’t do a good job talking about my technical choices, which really bugs me because I tried to start discussions about that and even returned to our diagramming after Q&A to see if they wanted to talk more about anything since the discussion we had was so light lol. the crooter let me know this as sort of a hint for what to emphasize in my remaining calls if it comes up again, super weird

I’m glad it went fine, but I’m not glad that the org is green enough that they’re so clumsy at interviewing. I felt like it was one of the worst interviews I’ve participated in as an interviewee in a while. very weird vibes. it drives me up the wall because I’ve been the interviewer for that same kind of panel and handled it way better! if I decide to take this role based on the remaining interviews and offer then I’m immediately going to try and improve their technical interviewing strategy and rubric

interviewing always feels like such a poo poo show

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Bored Online posted:

Help! I have been doing devops for about two years now and turns out i loving hate it. A lot of my time amounts to fixing cloud problems for web developers that should know better. I graduated college late 2020 with a swe and my boss gave me the devil’s choice of being a devops or webdev. At the time devops seemed cool because that team had more autonomy, and I was already doing admin. Do I have any good path forward to getting back into development with my current experience, or do I have to learn php / react and make a bunch of fart portfolio apps? My job market is the hell that is silicon valley. I write some go, some python, but nothing on the regular because I am mostly crying at yaml.

Polish up your resume and get started sending out those applications. There are plenty of work out there it's just to grab it (and then never ever do devops again)

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Bored Online posted:

current team is small and leaving would probably cause headaches.

not for you!

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
unless you have really bad management, the company would much prefer you moving internally than having you leave

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

my homie dhall posted:

unless you have really bad management, the company would much prefer you moving internally than having you leave

Yeah, this. But keep in mind that if you do move internally and it's a small company you will absolutely get pulled back a lot until they backfill you.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its bad times w normal peep algol langs mostly yeah

python blessedly no longer using the c stack in 3.10, so unless trying to desperately conserve memory (in python, lol) you can recurse away.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Private Speech posted:

that's just a crooter being a crooter

I don't like that this word is catching on

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

crooter

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

The Fool posted:

they're just getting their crouton

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

The Fool posted:

yeah i am strongly against this

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
who needs they crooter ate

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

crutons

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

Yeah, this. But keep in mind that if you do move internally and it's a small company you will absolutely get pulled back a lot until they backfill you.

so related: I did this from support/solutions engineering stuff to dev, and it did heavily impact the team I left and I helped them until they got their poo poo together with a replacement

I really like my work and coworkers so it wasnt that big of a deal

It was a good move for me and allowed me to sneak around whatever bs hiring things I'd have to put up with

edit: i had already been doing development in terms of workarounds/glue and fixes with domain experience but not like dev "make new stuff" so i did have some dev experience in that regard

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 20, 2022

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
yep I'm not saying you shouldn't try OP, just be aware it tends to happen

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

yeah i already got hit with that once moving from systems administration / IT. I think they gave me the option to go engineering because i had graduated and clearly woulda left if they hadnt. It is a good company (i actually like the people here) and fairly large but their inability to grow the devops team with the rest of the org, and me being a knowledge holder will probably be a set back. im gonna ask anyway though because if i can get away with getting a year or two practical dev experience while dodging the technical interviewing bs itd prob be worth it. i just cant imagine my boss not feeling really inconvenienced by it for the before mentioned reasons and then ill have no choice but to bail

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

The Fool posted:

i like it specifically because it's so awful

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Plorkyeran posted:

i like it specifically because it's so awful

I used it because it was a dick recruiter move, I wouldn't actually use it normally

also to provoke people a bit

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
crootr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Kroot