Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rune factory 5’s “livestock system” is really just an extension of its monster taming system where you can tame absolutely any enemy by capturing it and then handing it garbage like tin cans and weeds until it says “poo poo yeah man I’ll join you forever”

This means the intended way of getting cows, chickens and sheep is to find them as enemies in the wild and mug them. there is no animal store, you must source your own animals if you want them.

You can also make them do farm chores for you once they like you enough. right now a giant spider waters my crops for me each morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I like the level up system in Mad Max. Instead of just using a menu you have to go to a mystic who put you in a trance and then you get to the level up menu.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I was playing through Ghost of Tsushima and picked up an alternate appearance for your sword/tanto. Went into the menu to check it out, and rotated it, and the baubles that were hanging from it actually moved realistically as I was turning the view around. Glad they didn't just display the model frozen there.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Alhazred posted:

I like the level up system in Mad Max. Instead of just using a menu you have to go to a mystic who put you in a trance and then you get to the level up menu.

It's like being rewarded twice at each level up, while also filling in the story. Levelling both Max and the car is satifying in that game. Every point spent or part added feels like it makes a difference.

Each car spitting out flaming drops of fuel from the exhaust which form smoldering puddles wherever you sit idling is a neat little thing. Sitting in ambush, engine burbling away, lighting the desert on fire.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

madeintaipei posted:

It's like being rewarded twice at each level up, while also filling in the story. Levelling both Max and the car is satifying in that game. Every point spent or part added feels like it makes a difference.

Each car spitting out flaming drops of fuel from the exhaust which form smoldering puddles wherever you sit idling is a neat little thing. Sitting in ambush, engine burbling away, lighting the desert on fire.

Your name reminded me how well the Dusk Diver games recreate Ximen, including Tattoo Alley & the Coldstone right outside the MRT. There should be waaay more graffiti and homeless people at night tho

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Hel posted:

There are a lot of worse writers, and with games it's hard to know who wrote what and under what circumstances but none of the games I've played where she was involved in the writing where anything special. Also just because you are a writer in games doesn't mean you actually have control of big plot stuff, so I don't know is she's to blame for when those got really dumb in games like TR2013.

Yeah I think she's written about her experience on some of those games and IIRC she painted a picture of being maybe a couple of steps up the ladder from QA.

Writing for a game sounds miserable because you're allegedly an important part of the puzzle but are ultimately beholden to every other motherfucker's stupid decisions. And that's assuming everything goes alright, which it never does.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

graybook posted:

I was playing through Ghost of Tsushima and picked up an alternate appearance for your sword/tanto. Went into the menu to check it out, and rotated it, and the baubles that were hanging from it actually moved realistically as I was turning the view around. Glad they didn't just display the model frozen there.

I love that, it's always a fun touch when games do that.

Playing a lot of Splatoon now, I'm remembering how much I like the quick transitions when you fast switch between the gear & clothing shops. Your character does a little jump in place while the entire shop zips off the side of the screen and the next one slides in, then all the displays and merch in the new shop jump and wobble around like they almost went flying all over the place. Just a cute little unnecessary touch that makes shopping a bit more fun every time.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

graybook posted:

Even the items in the lore page, like the Mongolian cultural items, all have physics. Anything you can rotate in the menu has physics

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Rune factory 5’s “livestock system” is really just an extension of its monster taming system where you can tame absolutely any enemy by capturing it and then handing it garbage like tin cans and weeds until it says “poo poo yeah man I’ll join you forever”

This means the intended way of getting cows, chickens and sheep is to find them as enemies in the wild and mug them. there is no animal store, you must source your own animals if you want them.

You can also make them do farm chores for you once they like you enough. right now a giant spider waters my crops for me each morning.

Wait poo poo I was told RF5 didn't have any automation. Wtf.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah I think she's written about her experience on some of those games and IIRC she painted a picture of being maybe a couple of steps up the ladder from QA.

Writing for a game sounds miserable because you're allegedly an important part of the puzzle but are ultimately beholden to every other motherfucker's stupid decisions. And that's assuming everything goes alright, which it never does.

Did you mean "every position" in games?
And I get that you can't really just hand over control of the project to a single writer with narrative control but it's ridiculous how many games are mostly done before a writer is even brought on board and they have to make something out of all the stuff already there.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
My message came out too blunt and mean. I was just surprised that her name was brought up in a "marketing speech" and wondered if she had done something to make people (me) excited about a Rhianna Pratchett game. I feel kinda bad for her, because it's been 15 years and it seems that she still gets mentioned only because of her father.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kennel posted:

My message came out too blunt and mean. I was just surprised that her name was brought up in a "marketing speech" and wondered if she had done something to make people (me) excited about a Rhianna Pratchett game. I feel kinda bad for her, because it's been 15 years and it seems that she still gets mentioned only because of her father.

I've never seen anything she is associated with having writing better than adequate, it's possible she is submitting solid gold and it's just getting dumped on the cutting room floor but it's also possible she's not that great.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Kennel posted:

Marketing wise it's absolutely playing on the connection to her father, even if she is still competent.
That's one of the things that makes me wonder how much say she had in the new Tomb Raiders, because it felt kind of awkward to have her as a writer on a game were the narrative is very much about how great Lara's dad and heritage is rather than her own abilities.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Wait poo poo I was told RF5 didn't have any automation. Wtf.

The entire RF series (Atleast 1,2,4 which I've played) have all had some limited automation with the monsters.
It depends a bit on the title, but watering is the most common use. (Sometimes harvesting / tilling / planting as well?)

I'm just sad that RF5 apparently no longer has big buff minotaurs dropping 'The Protein' and 'Protein Boost'. :wiggle:

I'll be checking out RF5 now that the thread has made me realize it's out on pc as well.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Horizon Forbidden West: they got rid of the arbitrary inventory limits while granting you the ability to pass supplies back and forth to your stash without having to physically be in front of it. That was easily the most irritating mechanic in Zero Dawn. Oh and they also gave you the ability to turn off the material gathering animation. Amen.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hel posted:

game were the narrative is very much about how great Lara's dad and heritage is rather than her own abilities.

No that's actually a nuanced and accurate representation of the British upper class

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Very small thing, but in Metal: Hellsinger (which all around owns bones), you see the protagonist in the the main menu and when you quit, she peaces out in an appropriately stylish manner:

https://i.imgur.com/fcr992o.mp4

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Kennel posted:

Oh no, to be clear I had the exact same reaction.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Things I have trained to do farm chores for me in rune factory 5

- A spider
- A sentient bell pepper
- A treasure chest mimic

Current goal is to get one of these fuckers tamed

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Things I have trained to do farm chores for me in rune factory 5

- A spider
- A sentient bell pepper
- A treasure chest mimic

Current goal is to get one of these fuckers tamed

Does RF 5 keep the ability to gift people by throwing their gifts at them? Because Fastballing a hunk of iron at someone who then thanks you was great in 3.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ashsaber posted:

Does RF 5 keep the ability to gift people by throwing their gifts at them? Because Fastballing a hunk of iron at someone who then thanks you was great in 3.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Return of Monkey Island has a really nice optional refresher loosely covering all the previous games. Instead of a typical recap movie, it's a whole scrapbook filled with pictures and doodads from all the previous adventures, which you can click on to get little narrated reminiscences. It even includes the nonexistent fourth game and the Telltale episodic offshoot.
It's all very charming, much better than what you normally get.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Huh for some reason I thought this one was jettisoning all of the post-LeChuck's Revenge canon

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

christmas boots posted:

Huh for some reason I thought this one was jettisoning all of the post-LeChuck's Revenge canon

I wasn't sure how exactly it was gonna work out, but Murray was in one of the previews so I knew it wasn't completely wiping everything. I'd rather just continue on than pretend three whole games didn't happen, anyway.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy
Ron Gilbert stated that it is primarily a sequel to the first two games, and if you wanted to replay any before this one you would be good just playing those, but they weren't removing the others from canon and there will be references to them throughout.

I haven't started the game yet, but I'm eager to get into it shortly! It'll be amazing if they actually address the infamous Monkey Island 2 cliffhanger ending after 30 years.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Perestroika posted:

Very small thing, but in Metal: Hellsinger (which all around owns bones), you see the protagonist in the the main menu and when you quit, she peaces out in an appropriately stylish manner:

https://i.imgur.com/fcr992o.mp4

I miss when games did that, I remember some kids' adventure games have the protagonists similarly leave when you quit. Even this old Windows greeting card program that uses the dog reskin for Clippy acting as your assistant, which runs off when you exit.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
When you quit Doom a demon snarls at you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

credburn posted:

When you quit Doom a demon snarls at you.

Not sure if the original Doom did this as well but GZDoom the modern PC port plays a random sound effect, so sometimes you get a chicken bawk, sometimes you get a creepy imp laugh/snarl, sometimes you get the BFG9000 sound, etc. It made testing maps while mapmaking a lot funnier because sometimes I'd jumpscare myself and my audience by going to quit and receiving doomguy's extremely loud dying GAAAAAHHHHH

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Was playing Resident Evil 4 in VR and pulled out my pump action shotgun to dual wield with a pistol. Needing two hands to pump the shotgun I tossed the pistol into the air, quickly racked a shot, then caught the pistol and continued firing away.

I am basically John Wick.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Necrothatcher posted:

Was playing Resident Evil 4 in VR and pulled out my pump action shotgun to dual wield with a pistol. Needing two hands to pump the shotgun I tossed the pistol into the air, quickly racked a shot, then caught the pistol and continued firing away.

I am basically John Wick.

I have never wanted VR before but I think you just sold me

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Len posted:

It's kinda unbalanced as the enemy AI is still based off reacting on what a gamepad player can pull off, but man is it fun to chew through Ganados.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21xN7Lsw6xY

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Len posted:

You can put the knife in your left hand and still use the pistol. Makes it super handy.

Only wish you could toss the knife at things.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Len posted:

Blood & Truth has a stubby double barrel shotgun you can fire onehanded and a dedicated “spin your gun around” button. You can do the Terminator 2 reload and it’s awesome.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

CitizenKain posted:

You can put the knife in your left hand and still use the pistol. Makes it super handy.

You can make knifegun like in Snake Eater? Hell yeah

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Necrothatcher posted:

It's kinda unbalanced as the enemy AI is still based off reacting on what a gamepad player can pull off, but man is it fun to chew through Ganados.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21xN7Lsw6xY

There's a part early on where a truck tries to run you down and then you're attacked by a huge horde of Ganados. I'm guessing in the original versions you're supposed to flee since there's too many of them to kill, in VR I just picked them off one by one without too much trouble and then continued into a cutscene with all of them still alive and Leon running away.

Go for a headshot, spin kick them to the ground, then slash them repeatedly before they can get up and most enemies can be killed with a single bullet all the way to the end sections.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jokymi posted:

I haven't started the game yet, but I'm eager to get into it shortly! It'll be amazing if they actually address the infamous Monkey Island 2 cliffhanger ending after 30 years.

It absolutely does, but not how you expect.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

There's a part early on where a truck tries to run you down and then you're attacked by a huge horde of Ganados. I'm guessing in the original versions you're supposed to flee since there's too many of them to kill, in VR I just picked them off one by one without too much trouble and then continued into a cutscene with all of them still alive and Leon running away.

Go for a headshot, spin kick them to the ground, then slash them repeatedly before they can get up and most enemies can be killed with a single bullet all the way to the end sections.

Your walking speed is also twice as fast as the regular game and you can strafe, which means that nothing can basically touch you. It's an easy game but so, so fun!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

CordlessPen posted:

Your walking speed is also twice as fast as the regular game and you can strafe, which means that nothing can basically touch you. It's an easy game but so, so fun!

It might have been the best game I've played in VR so far, I had more fun with it than I did with HL: Alyx even though Alyx is much more modern and still the only real "AAA" VR game I've seen. RE4 being old is actually kind of an advantage because the Quest 2 can run it natively at high enough framerates to give a smooth VR experience, which you're unlikely to get with Alyx unless you have an RTX 3090 or something with serious grunt. Only downside was that it would still give me a headache after about an hour of continuous play but that's more of a VR thing in general.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It might have been the best game I've played in VR so far, I had more fun with it than I did with HL: Alyx even though Alyx is much more modern and still the only real "AAA" VR game I've seen. RE4 being old is actually kind of an advantage because the Quest 2 can run it natively at high enough framerates to give a smooth VR experience, which you're unlikely to get with Alyx unless you have an RTX 3090 or something with serious grunt. Only downside was that it would still give me a headache after about an hour of continuous play but that's more of a VR thing in general.

It sounds really good and my vive has just been collecting dust for a bit..

I still think Superhot VR is the best VR game though aside from Alyx. Superhot VR is literally just being neo since you can actually factually dodge bullets, and once you're good at it you just straight up won't need to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Weird Pumpkin posted:

It sounds really good and my vive has just been collecting dust for a bit..

I still think Superhot VR is the best VR game though aside from Alyx. Superhot VR is literally just being neo since you can actually factually dodge bullets, and once you're good at it you just straight up won't need to

Don't think you can play it on Vive unfortunately, they made a big show about it being exclusive to the Quest 2 (even though some people did testing and got it working without issue on a Quest 1). Maybe there are some hacks to make it work on Vive but I haven't seen any.

Superhot VR looks good but I'm limited in my play area. Can only do it standing behind my chair with just enough room to stand still and have free range for my arms without hitting anything, Superhot looks like one of the games that's better if you have a full room setup to move around. GORN is another one that looks like a lot of fun but impossible to play with my available space.