Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

floppyspud posted:

Huh, I didn't think omelettes would be more. How often to tamed critters lay eggs again? Was it like 6 cycles?

I guess barbecue also requires less duplicant interaction, since they would have to crack the egg. (Auto egg crackers when?)

Au contraire! You can actually cook omelette with zero dupe interaction. Simply heat the egg to the appropriate temperature and bam, omelette! Smashmouth heat the eggs!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
for real? i may be about to make a geothermal breakfast nook then :sicko:

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
If I've done the math correctly, one hatch egg will produce 2800 calories of omelettes or 4000 calories of barbeque. So you get both more cals and better quality by letting the egg hatch.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Fenn the Fool! posted:

If I've done the math correctly, one hatch egg will produce 2800 calories of omelettes or 4000 calories of barbeque. So you get both more cals and better quality by letting the egg hatch.

Yeah a hatch egg weighs 2kg, but when you crack it you get 1kg of egg and 1kg of shell, so you can either get 2800kcal of omelette or let the egg hatch and get 4000kcal of bbq.

Pacu eggs are 4kg so if you wanted to do some kind of automated omelette maker such as for feeding the tree then you might want to use a pacu farm.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I believe pips yield more omelette calories than barbecue calories. Prime candidate for boiling.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I like to evolve all my excess critters I to their ultimate evolutionary form, BBQ. The extra morale over omelettes is worth it. Just don't look in the horrifying drowning pit where critters are born into the void.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Smiling Demon posted:

Eh, sort of? If you build a petroleum boiler, the polymer press will provide a fully automated setup that puts out a huge volume of plastic. Dreckos are resource efficient, but I honestly hate ranching dreckos. If I have the option I'll always opt for the press.

Contrast that balance with beeta hives and the uranium centrifuge - the centrifuge is just terrible and should only be used if you have no other option. The polymer press is in a much better place I feel.

This post made me think of the huge and mostly idle petroleum tank I have (the Jefferson Tallpipe Memorial Refinery). The math says one liquid pump should run twelve polymer presses and I want you to know this monstrosity is your doing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkhJcX_9M4s

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
the new hatch waiting animation in the beta is too much :kimchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i69DOczh9ho

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

Panty Saluter posted:

the new hatch waiting animation in the beta is too much :kimchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i69DOczh9ho

JFC nooooooooooooooooooooo that is too cute

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

they're really trying to make me feel worse about the evolution chamber huh

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

floppyspud posted:

You definitely can just stop them from leaving your outposts area as said, but stopping duplicants from entering/leaving large portions of the map will probably end badly if you aren't paying attention. I'd probably just focus on mobility around the map, I don't know where you are at in the game, but things like installing plastic ladders and tiles in commonly traversed areas, increasing the amount of ladders around in general, and those plastic tubes that I forget the name of, all can vastly increase the amount of work your dupes can get done.

Also schedules are cool I guess.

Instead of turning off access to a door completely for dupes you don't want passing a door, just restrict their ability to go from the safe to the restricted side. This way, in the event dupes wind up outside of the perimeter due to Things they can get back in, if they can make it to the entrance before cooking to death or suffocating anyway.

e: ^^^ the ones you evolve will never know that they're capable of being so cute, brand this as "more humane"

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

Fenn the Fool! posted:

yeah, this is what i thought, dont know what else is happening with these eggs that people are thinking they are better. i mean 1 egg turns into a 1 barbecue, or 1 omelette, right?

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

LonsomeSon posted:

Instead of turning off access to a door completely for dupes you don't want passing a door, just restrict their ability to go from the safe to the restricted side.

how do you do that without stopping them from going through somewhere?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

floppyspud posted:

how do you do that without stopping them from going through somewhere?
You can set “in” and “out” permissions on a door separately. Set the door so only in is allowed.

The door may never be used, but in the case of a dupe getting out somehow through another path (I.e. through a mistake you make) they can still get back in.

If you mean “how do I handle an area I want to semi-restrict that dupes can get to through multiple doors/paths” the answer is generally you can’t, there has to only be one way out. But it depends on specific details.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Sep 18, 2022

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

floppyspud posted:

yeah, this is what i thought, dont know what else is happening with these eggs that people are thinking they are better. i mean 1 egg turns into a 1 barbecue, or 1 omelette, right?
Nope. 1 egg = 1 omelette, 1 critter = 0(crab) 1 (pip) 2(hatch) or 3(grubgrub) kg of barbecue

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Has anyone here built a setup to extract heat from magma-hot abyssalite? I used to always run into issues where I'd shave away a layer or two of abyssalite under the oil biome, then suddenly get blasted with thousands of kilos of hot sour gas when the crude would contact the hot abyssalite and flake into sour gas.

I'm now wondering if I could just shave away that abyssalite, run crude across it, then find some way to transfer that heat to water for a steam turbine (turbine output in 1 kg/s flow? steam piped throught radiant pipes counter to gas flow?

According to calcs, a perfect system pushing a max throughput of 5 kg/s of crude/sour gas could generate about 4 kw (~4 Mdtu/s), and a single tile of hot abyssalite could keep it up for 5 cycles before cooling below the requisite temp.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

HolHorsejob posted:

Has anyone here built a setup to extract heat from magma-hot abyssalite? I used to always run into issues where I'd shave away a layer or two of abyssalite under the oil biome, then suddenly get blasted with thousands of kilos of hot sour gas when the crude would contact the hot abyssalite and flake into sour gas.

I'm now wondering if I could just shave away that abyssalite, run crude across it, then find some way to transfer that heat to water for a steam turbine (turbine output in 1 kg/s flow? steam piped throught radiant pipes counter to gas flow?

According to calcs, a perfect system pushing a max throughput of 5 kg/s of crude/sour gas could generate about 4 kw (~4 Mdtu/s), and a single tile of hot abyssalite could keep it up for 5 cycles before cooling below the requisite temp.

afaik, hot abyssalite will flash any liquid that touches it into a gas (but only barely, like water will become 99 degree steam) so yes, you could, but since youre right next to actually hot stuff i.e: magma, why dont you just use that to power something? is a lot easier because you dont have to worry about random liquids exploding (actually, you do, but not in the weird buggy way abyssalite does it) and probably much better cus something so big and hot like the core of the planet will take a really long time to deplete its heat low enough to not be useful.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
There is an annoying big I had not encountered before. When you change the order of the modules on a rocket, it doesn't always update the pathing and they can get stuck outside. It's easy to fix by switching the order and/or building ladders, which is a relief when both your dupes are stuck outside on lava hell world.

Edit: you can leech the heat out of abyssalite using tempshift plates. I've done that to squeeze a bit of power out of geothermal while volcanoes were inactive. It seems to work but it's not much extra. I don't think that works on abyssalite debris though.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 20, 2022

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

What about gold refining? I'm bringing back tens of tons and tons of gold amalgam from a planet, and I'm realizing that even though gold is power-negative to refine in a refinery, I could probably just use a setup like a regolith melter (likely without the rail-to-rail heat exchanger) to melt-refine all of it.

Adenoid Dan posted:

There is an annoying big I had not encountered before. When you change the order of the modules on a rocket, it doesn't always update the pathing and they can get stuck outside. It's easy to fix by switching the order and/or building ladders, which is a relief when both your dupes are stuck outside on lava hell world.

Edit: you can leech the heat out of abyssalite using tempshift plates. I've done that to squeeze a bit of power out of geothermal while volcanoes were inactive. It seems to work but it's not much extra. I don't think that works on abyssalite debris though.

Yeah rockets add all kinds of weird bugs to dupe behavior. I found one where if a dupe runs into a rocket you're looking inside of and does a thing, they will often idle afterwards if there are no other chores inside the rocket (even if there's a yellow alert outside the rocket).

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Success! Since gold has a great conductivity and miniscule SHC, a gold melter can be much much smaller than a comparable regolith melter. A diamond spike connects to a row of obsidian tiles, whereupon gold amalgam melts somewhere along the line, drips down the tiles, and solidifies. A conveyor system then grabs the red-hot gold and passes it through a solid-solid counterflow heat exchanger to preheat the incoming amalgam. It's taking quite a while to reach equilibrium though, and short of saying 'gently caress it" and hitting the thermium button, I can't think of a good way to cool the sweeper and loader without seriously compromising efficiency.

The automation isn't pictured, but all I have is a sensor to detect empty conveyor baskets and "dump" them out a chute (they jam up the bridge loop). After a cycle or two of operation, the gold coming out is about 80C, the gold amalgam passing the last heat exchange block is about 700C.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

HolHorsejob posted:

I can't think of a good way to cool the sweeper and loader without seriously compromising efficiency.
A metal block at the bottom of the loader & sweeper with a blob of petrol/oil on for conduction, maybe a granite temp shift plate behind for extra thermal mass/conduction, and send the cold end of your materials through it. Might slightly reduce the heat exchange efficiency but should be able to keep steel stuff from getting over 200.
Hmm - a detour down and up for the path, and an extra heat exchange block on the cold end that's linked to the base blocks/conductive blob, it might actually increase efficiency while cooling the sweeper/loader.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

OzyMandrill posted:

A metal block at the bottom of the loader & sweeper with a blob of petrol/oil on for conduction, maybe a granite temp shift plate behind for extra thermal mass/conduction, and send the cold end of your materials through it. Might slightly reduce the heat exchange efficiency but should be able to keep steel stuff from getting over 200.
Hmm - a detour down and up for the path, and an extra heat exchange block on the cold end that's linked to the base blocks/conductive blob, it might actually increase efficiency while cooling the sweeper/loader.

I thought about that kind of setup, but the big issue is that for sweepers and loaders (and pretty much everything else that handles material), the heat exchange for the contents are simulated as the contents being debris/bottle on a particular cell, so it's effectively like dunking 950C debris repeatedly into a blob of petroleum. It will likely flash to sour gas in short order.

I wonder how hard it would be to automate some setup that has a blob of petroleum on a door coupled to a heatsink, and the door closes, lifting the blob of petroleum up to the machine to be cooled when the door is triggered. Have the machine turn off material flow for a few seconds here and there, and activate cooling for that interval.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

HolHorsejob posted:

I thought about that kind of setup, but the big issue is that for sweepers and loaders (and pretty much everything else that handles material), the heat exchange for the contents are simulated as the contents being debris/bottle on a particular cell, so it's effectively like dunking 950C debris repeatedly into a blob of petroleum. It will likely flash to sour gas in short order.

I wonder how hard it would be to automate some setup that has a blob of petroleum on a door coupled to a heatsink, and the door closes, lifting the blob of petroleum up to the machine to be cooled when the door is triggered. Have the machine turn off material flow for a few seconds here and there, and activate cooling for that interval.

If its working like a heat exchange block, and there's decent thermal mass/conductivity, you should be able to dissipate the heat into the material stream and reach a safe equilibrium. Maybe 200 degrees would be ok for steel stuff and petrol. The constant material flow should carry off the excess heat, but its a bunch of faffing about if you actually have access to thermium. Also I found a loader can pulse10s on and then have a cooling rest, can help in stuff like this. And you may need to throttle the input to give a rest to the loader, or use 2 loaders and time between, or add some active cooling, or...

(just use thermium)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I have some general questions.

How many dupes do you all typically have as you get towards more complex bases? How much automation do you have?

I find that as the base becomes larger and more sprawling, I end up with a lot of dupes wanting to run back and forth from one side to the other to do various tasks which is obviously not optimal. I'm really not sure what I could do about that.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
I eventually start replacing systems with ones that are less efficient, but labor-less, exchanging resources (usually power) for dupe time. So farms for instance: I'll make twice as many farms, but have them in such a way that they're automated and require no labor.

There's lots of stuff like that across the map you can do to drastically reduce duplicant labor requirements. Then you can go for raw speed: replacing tiles with ones with movement speed bonuses, plastic ladders, transit tubes, etc.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
How about limited resources? I tend to almost always run out of metal, but everything else is limited (albeit there's a LOT of it to go around) like dirt, etc. Hearing you say you run less efficient farms made me think about that because they require fertilization, etc.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
almost everything in this game becomes infinite as long as you have some oil wells and make a petrol boiler, rather than refine it in a refinery, since the loop becomes water positive

you might eventually run out of sand when playing spaced out maps since there's no free infinite regolith, but if you're playing that long surely you can find a volcano or automate a harvesting rocket and crush its output for an infinite sand source

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

HolHorsejob posted:

I had a gas pump in a room with a hydrogen vent. I kept it cold by sitting it on two granite tiles with an AT loop running through them. Can't remember if I used tempshift plates or not (I don't think so) but it kept the pump nice and frosty even with 500C hydrogen everywhere

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

How about limited resources? I tend to almost always run out of metal, but everything else is limited (albeit there's a LOT of it to go around) like dirt, etc. Hearing you say you run less efficient farms made me think about that because they require fertilization, etc.

Arbor trees create a ridiculous amount of dirt if you refine them to ethanol. It costs a pretty minor amount of water to do this. There are some surprising resource loops in the game. I’m currently thinking about if I can make renewable clean oxygen with polluted oxygen->puft ranch->slime->algae distiller->algae deoxydizer. Probably easier and more effective to just use deodorizers, but that’s hardly any fun!

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Even a free-range Pip ranch will have them pooping out tons of dirt. And now with cuddle pips you can have them double as incubator rooms!

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Dupe count - I'm using the DLC, but I tend to get to around 6 by cycle 50, 10 by cycle 150, 15 by cycle 1000, plus or minus 50% based on circumstances.

Steam workshop has some interesting mods including ones that alter dupe AI/priorities and can be better than the vanilla game.

Longer-term, it's about getting dupe-free, sustainable 'machines' to supply all the needs. Bristle blossoms only need water, pips can self plant a couple of trees and be resource free food and generate soil for mealwood or sleet wheat. Dreckos eat mealwood or balm lily and generate phosphorite, which feeds peppers.

Metal & ores are renewable via space - in the endgame you send rockets with cargo holds to renewable 'asteroids' so there will always be a way to get some resources. Otherwise, seeds with metal volcanos are a good idea. In the DLC, there are multiple asteroids, and pretty much guaranteed renewable sources of everything.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

OzyMandrill posted:

Metal & ores are renewable via space -
But only if you have a source of coal, right?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I know you can at least get infinite coal from hatches (they poop coal)!

Anyway, thanks all. I will definitely have to look at sources of getting infinite whatever. I started a few games last weekend and never got too far because of the frustrations I was anticipating running into but now that I know (well, I'd always suspected, but it's good to know) it's just because I'm crap at the game, maybe I'll give it another real go.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

But only if you have a source of coal, right?

Hatches are your friend!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

OzyMandrill posted:

Hatches are your friend!
They truly are but they require minerals, which eventually also run out on small asteroids.

I never got quite far enough to calculate it, does rocket mining provide enough xxxxx rock to eventually make enough diamond to justify the mining? (Using the rock - hatch - coal - refined carbon - diamond cycle)

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

They truly are but they require minerals, which eventually also run out on small asteroids.

I never got quite far enough to calculate it, does rocket mining provide enough xxxxx rock to eventually make enough diamond to justify the mining? (Using the rock - hatch - coal - refined carbon - diamond cycle)
Yes, you can get more than enough from space to replace the drill, and rock hatches will eat igneous rock, so you can tame a volcano for infinite coal.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
The absolute largest volcano that can spawn (1.6kg/s magma) will feed 6.8 stone hatches forever. If you really want overkill, you want a regolith melter, since that will saturate a conveyor rail. 20kg/s rock is 85 stone hatches (afaik this is the population of a petroleum boiler -> 5 petrol gens -> slicksters too).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well that’s good to know. Last I stopped I was just considering whether to start rocket mining or not, since rock is beginning to get a little scarce.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Ran out of gold amalgam so I decided to try "melting" sedimentary & mafic rock into igneous rock for power. Running the numbers, this creates a preposterous amount of energy. Igneous comes out of the heat exchanger at around 790, and when I rate limit it through the rails by temperature (about 3 kg/s for a 790C -> 125C drop), it generates about 1.6 kW, which covers about half my power needs.

Since igneous has lousy conductivity, the trick is keeping it in there long enough to extract most of the heat. Hot rock comes in the right, cycles through to the left, then loops near the liquid vent until it cools down to around 125, whereupon it is allowed to exit. The steam temp is about 230 through the first turbine, so it's not as efficient as it could be.

Since it's being mostly preheated by outgoing igneous that magics heat into existence, I'm not sure how much heat it's pulling from the magma, but if I did the numbers right, it's something like 80 kdtu/s, so basically nothing compared to the ~2 Mdtu/s that it creates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
If the steam is too hot you just need more generators :madmax: