Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

BurningBeard posted:

I am in chapter 3. I’m definitely having a weird experience with this game where I feel like I can’t decide if I’m actually enjoying it, but I am persisting anyway. Is it just me, or are there a lot of extraneous systems that aren’t very necessary? It seems a bit over bloated I guess.

Yes that's very fair.

I'm finding the best way to enjoy the game is to think of it mostly as designing a team that mostly battles by itself on ai. Yes, you're controlling a character, but your mostly there to watch the fireworks. I got a lot more out of the game when I watched Enels video on what the chain attack systems actually were, and also when I did a spot of backtracking to explore and enjoy the visuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Bug Squash posted:

Yes that's very fair.

I'm finding the best way to enjoy the game is to think of it mostly as designing a team that mostly battles by itself on ai. Yes, you're controlling a character, but your mostly there to watch the fireworks. I got a lot more out of the game when I watched Enels video on what the chain attack systems actually were, and also when I did a spot of backtracking to explore and enjoy the visuals.

What a weird way to design a game. This is how I’ve been playing it. Glad to know I wasn’t really missing anything.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You know what we were robbed of in one cutscene?

The doctor telling the party how babies are made and the group's immediate reaction to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Junpei posted:

You know what we were robbed of in one cutscene?

The doctor telling the party how babies are made and the group's immediate reaction to it.

It is one of those situations where it is funnier in your imagination.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Zeon's ascension quest wasn't as bad as I expected based on reactions to it

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

TurnipFritter posted:

Zeon's ascension quest wasn't as bad as I expected based on reactions to it

For me it’s mainly disappointment in wasting a perfectly good opportunity to have yet another Moebius show up, this time to menace a plot of potatoes.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

BurningBeard posted:

What a weird way to design a game. This is how I’ve been playing it. Glad to know I wasn’t really missing anything.

I played on hard and that wasn’t my experience at all. Every battle was grueling and required me to pay close attention or my whole team could wipe. Must be very different on normal difficulty.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Takoluka posted:

You spent 110 hours on a game you did not enjoy. You're like the guy who played Splatoon 2 for 60 hours before fighting Nintendo to get a refund.

Or, alternatively, I beat games I spend money on. Crazy I know. And I'm also not psychic, so I kept out hope that the plot would do interesting things based on my great enjoyment of his previous Xeno series. It rarely did.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 20, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm lost. I killed Zed. I saved. I want to go to post game but the save just brings me back to before Zed

donotpost
Jul 28, 2022

Barreft posted:

I'm lost. I killed Zed. I saved. I want to go to post game but the save just brings me back to before Zed

You're in the post game. go to the Cloudkeep and Keves Castle

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

donotpost posted:

You're in the post game. go to the Cloudkeep and Keves Castle

tysm

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
biffteen

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Wash your clothes Nia jfc

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MechaX posted:

I mean... 110 hours on any non multiplayer game is.. a lot, especially for a game you didn't seem to like that much (it doesn't even take that long to get through the main story and some of the ascension quests/side quests)

How many hours were you spending on the other Xeno games?

I felt basically the same (and put in more time than that). I enjoyed all my time playing (and I imagine they did too since they rated it 7/10 which is still good!), but at the end the game just felt less impactful for various reasons.

It's reasonable to spend a long time engaging with the mechanics and exploring (and they mention the zones being pretty good), while still ending thinking "there wasn't as much substance here as I would have liked" at the end.

The only thing I disagree with them about is that the XC3 sidequests were unquestionably better than those in XC1 and XC2. This isn't so much something good about XC3 as it is negative about XC1 and XC2's sidequests, which mostly had little substance to them. At least XC3's sidequests let you meet and learn about a bunch of side characters.

Arkage posted:

Or, alternatively, I beat games I spend money on. Crazy I know. And I'm also not psychic, so I kept out hope that the plot would do interesting things based on my great enjoyment of his previous Xeno series. It rarely did.

Yeah, I feel like the plot basically reached the point XC1 and XC2 did around "attacking Mechonis" or "going to free Pyra" (respectively) but didn't have all of the more interesting stuff to wrap things up afterwards.

Like there was a really high quality "build-up" that takes place throughout chapters 1-6 (culminating in the Big Cutscene), but then there isn't much after that.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 20, 2022

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

xbc3 is incredible. top 5 tier this year imo

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh Ghondor is going to be… a lot.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Bussamove posted:

Oh Ghondor is going to be… a lot.

Tch, bitchqueen.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, I feel like the plot basically reached the point XC1 and XC2 did around "attacking Mechonis" or "going to free Pyra" (respectively) but didn't have all of the more interesting stuff to wrap things up afterwards.

Like there was a really high quality "build-up" that takes place throughout chapters 1-6 (culminating in the Big Cutscene), but then there isn't much after that.

if i had not been spoiled about the chapter count ahead of time I would have legitimately thought that chapter 6 was the start of act 2

although, to be fair, i did start chapter 6 about half way through my play through

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I played on hard and that wasn’t my experience at all. Every battle was grueling and required me to pay close attention or my whole team could wipe. Must be very different on normal difficulty.

This game is a cake walk on normal. The amount of exp you get is ridiculous lol

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Barreft posted:

Tch, bitchqueen.

She’s pretty much immediately grown on me, to be fair.

Can we get a gangtag that’s just Eunie and Ghondor going back and forth with “arsehole” and “bitchqueen”?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Bussamove posted:

She’s pretty much immediately grown on me, to be fair.

Can we get a gangtag that’s just Eunie and Ghondor going back and forth with “arsehole” and “bitchqueen”?

shitbird

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
spoon

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

YIPPEE

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

if i had not been spoiled about the chapter count ahead of time I would have legitimately thought that chapter 6 was the start of act 2

Yeah, same. At around that point I looked up the number of chapters (and had suspicions after noticing that no one referenced anything beyond Chapter 7) and was like "wait, what; there's only one more after this?"

I really have almost nothing but positive things to say about everything up until that point. Lots of fun exploration and developing the party members and their relationships + side content with Heroes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

rare doodah

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Who the hell is the girl with the gall? Anyone??

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bussamove posted:

Breath of Fire 3 is always my go to for this feeling, mainly because you start as a literal child flailing a sword around utterly failing to kill things and end by turning into a Super Saiyan dragonman to stab a goddess directly in the tit while your best friends, the catman who can turn into a weretiger, and an onion, watch.

BoF3 making Ryu flail wildly at the very start of the game, then fight with some basic form after that opening act was real cool. The game had some top tier spritework and attention to detail.

TurnipFritter posted:

to be fair, the onion is also, like, literally god.

And your cat friend is the Furry Incredible Hulk (who you can safely point at the enemy with 100% success rate using an early game skill, completely bypassing the risk of using him).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Wuh I'm not a spoon you're a spoon

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Huh. That whole slew of cutscenes at the end of chapter 5/start of 6 sure was a lot of poo poo dropped on me at once huh?

Robo-queen Nia looked real dumb in her little Robotnik pod attached to the throne.

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Ytlaya posted:

The only thing I disagree with them about is that the XC3 sidequests were unquestionably better than those in XC1 and XC2. This isn't so much something good about XC3 as it is negative about XC1 and XC2's sidequests, which mostly had little substance to them. At least XC3's sidequests let you meet and learn about a bunch of side characters.

The whole potato questline really soured me, maybe unfairly so. It was when I started skipping cutscenes entirely rather than read 1000 words about how potatoes aren't growing correctly. I don't recall much from the sidequests of 1/2, so 3s very well may be better. I feel like 1/2 had generally less sidequests, as with 3 I had a constantly long list of quests that tended to blur together in my mind. The main problem was I kept hearing all the hype about how good the side quests were and so built up some expectations around it, but it feels like it needed a huge rear end asterisk of *for a JRPG with an MMO structure.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Arkage posted:

The whole potato questline really soured me, maybe unfairly so. It was when I started skipping cutscenes entirely rather than read 1000 words about how potatoes aren't growing correctly. I don't recall much from the sidequests of 1/2, so 3s very well may be better. I feel like 1/2 had generally less sidequests, as with 3 I had a constantly long list of quests that tended to blur together in my mind. The main problem was I kept hearing all the hype about how good the side quests were and so built up some expectations around it, but it feels like it needed a huge rear end asterisk of *for a JRPG with an MMO structure.

I'm pretty sure that 3 has the fewest sidequests out of any Xenoblade game. 1 legitimately has 440~ side quests and maybe 90% of those are completely forgettable.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Are you counting the collectopaedia cards? Those would have been "gather 10 armu butts" quests in 1 or 2.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Omobono posted:

Are you counting the collectopaedia cards? Those would have been "gather 10 armu butts" quests in 1 or 2.

Almost all are very much doable passively, though.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Arkage posted:

Yeah I feel this way too based on limited experience. Serves me right for buying full into the release hype. If the side quest isn’t voice acted, I skip the dialogue.

Speaking of side quests, in order to trim the fat, which ones are the most vital to hit? I’m definitely not invested enough to 100% the game, so it would be good to hit just the best stuff, either in terms of narrative or rewards.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

BurningBeard posted:

Yeah I feel this way too based on limited experience. Serves me right for buying full into the release hype. If the side quest isn’t voice acted, I skip the dialogue.

Speaking of side quests, in order to trim the fat, which ones are the most vital to hit? I’m definitely not invested enough to 100% the game, so it would be good to hit just the best stuff, either in terms of narrative or rewards.

Some hero ascension quests are locked behind sidequests, so those are arguably the most important ones to hit. You can look them up if you are so inclined.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Zeon’s quest at least has the payoff of him becoming a potato paladin and spreading the Gospel au Gratin far and wide

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
I have a question about mechanics! The 'share my buffs' art from Flagpole Class is marked as a 'buff' in the description; does it only share buffs that were on you at the time of use, or is it actually a buff that stays on you and shares all buffs that are applied to you while it lasts?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
Also, I think people (the internet) are sleeping on the effectiveness of Guardian Commander and Lost Vanguard. I've found that the two classes together are effectively unkillable. I've had to run away from fights because all of my support was dead from an AoE, but the two tanks just refused to die (and I didn't want to wait 30 minutes for them to slowly grind down the bosses).

And once I unlocked the skill that let me slot a second field effect, I think Medic Gunner went from eh to amazing. Effectively doubling the speed at which you can drop down the Talent Art makes a huge difference

Gato The Elder fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Sep 20, 2022

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Gato The Elder posted:

I have a question about mechanics! The 'share my buffs' art from Flagpole Class is marked as a 'buff' in the description; does it only share buffs that were on you at the time of use, or is it actually a buff that stays on you and shares all buffs that are applied to you while it lasts?

Only at time of cast. Fun fact, it will also share buffs on moves that Resonant Flag is fused to. Pair up Shadow Eye + Resonant Flag to always ensure "Attack Up" is passed!

Gato The Elder posted:

Also, I think people (the internet) are sleeping on the effectiveness of Guardian Commander and Lost Vanguard. I've found that the two classes together are effectively unkillable. I've had to run away from fights because all of my support was dead from an AoE, but the two tanks just refused to die (and I didn't want to wait 30 minutes for them to slowly grind down the bosses).

And once I unlocked the skill that let me slot a second field effect, I think Medic Gunner went from eh to amazing. Effectively doubling the speed at which you can drop down the Talent Art makes a huge difference

Xenoblade is one of those games where the best <anything> is offence, including defensive classes. Aggro is massively generated with damage, so a Tank that cannot do that much damage has a huge risk of losing aggro or otherwise holding onto it very inconsistently. In addition, aggro decreases everytime a monster does damage, meaning a Face Tank will never keep aggro as well as a Dodge Tank. Guardian Commander can do okay damage over time with its Talent Art, but imo Lost Vanguard is really quite poor, offensively.

With that said, you're right that Lost Vanguard is basically unkillable if you set it up well enough, so you can run away/sprint through stuff as you need to. But dying has so little consequences (and sneaking through mobs isn't that hard) that I've never found it that important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gato The Elder posted:

The problem is exactly what you said. They are insanely durable which cam be useful but a tank who does more is going to hold aggro better at the 'cost' of dying easier but if you are properly chain attacking that shouldn't be sn issue.