Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anyone remember the company that made these:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Shadowhand00 posted:

Agreed with Tobin - if you already have a Garmin watch, literally no reason to not get a Garmin GPS unit. Also, getting a Garmin watch won't prevent you from using the trainers, etc. Its mostly all integrated so it doesn't really matter (you're also likely not going to be running the GPS unit while doing a trainer workout.

Thanks, that's super helpful. I wasn't sure if there was any advantage to getting the computer if I was also thinking of getting the trainer. Garmin it is!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks, that's super helpful. I wasn't sure if there was any advantage to getting the computer if I was also thinking of getting the trainer. Garmin it is!

I have a Wahoo trainer and I don't even connect it to the GPS unit, it's used solely for Zwift on an ipad.

If that's your use case (and it probably is) you're fine.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I occasionally use my garmin with my trainer (a wahoo), so that I can have a lap average power field for time trials and hill climbs on zwift. But most of the time yeah I don't bother. My only regret about the 530 I bought this spring is that the 1040 solar came out like a month later and I would have strongly considered it because I occasionally do really long days that come close to using the whole battery. And life on the 530 seems worse than my old 510. I wish it was easier to turn the screen backlight off. With the 510 you could just tap the power button to cycle between off, your preset level, and full bright. With the 530 auto seems to have the brightness turned up higher than I'd like most of the time. But when it starts to get dark it's hard to see the screen and navigate menus to turn the light back on.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Mister Facetious posted:

Anyone remember the company that made these:

Huckberry has something similar
https://huckberry.com/store/reductivist/category/p/50377-8-in-1-multitool-keychain

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Thanks. The brand of ringtool had was Reductivist (version 1)

Couldn't remember for the life of me

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 19, 2022

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
I have a new solar garmin (1040 I think?) and only charging it once a month (same with my Garmin watch) is pretty great.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

eeenmachine posted:

I have a new solar garmin (1040 I think?) and only charging it once a month

bueller_its_so_choice.jpg

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

kimbo305 posted:

bueller_its_so_choice.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV2Y2kIUkIs

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I had no idea that solar glass was in any tech device applications (figured they'd be on phones first I guess?), and that piqued my curiosity. Holy smokes does the 1040 have a lot of features.. can it actually be put onto an inreach sub or can it simply pair with an inreach device?
Trail forks also seems legit cool if it's like.. populated enough to be useful and show that info live while you're just cruising around and you want to know if random trails are worth exploring.. having to use navigation would make it worthless. As it is, I'd rather get lost or hit a dead end than get my phone out of my saddle bag.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Math You posted:

I had no idea that solar glass was in any tech device applications (figured they'd be on phones first I guess?), and that piqued my curiosity. Holy smokes does the 1040 have a lot of features.. can it actually be put onto an inreach sub or can it simply pair with an inreach device?
Trail forks also seems legit cool if it's like.. populated enough to be useful and show that info live while you're just cruising around and you want to know if random trails are worth exploring.. having to use navigation would make it worthless. As it is, I'd rather get lost or hit a dead end than get my phone out of my saddle bag.
The basemap on the 1040 has been detailed enough for the gravel rides I go on without having to look at Trailforks. I seldom follow random trails without doing a bit of research first because I have hit up trails that have not been traveled/maintained frequently resulting in having to plow through some overgrown bullshit etc.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

I mostly use trail forks for mtb rides rather than gravel for that exact reason.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
We went camping this weekend at a place called Carlyle Lake. It was an off-season campout, so it wasn't crowded like on a holiday weekend. But, in the back of my mind, I was sure I'd have to hunt for a good camping spot by the lake.

On the first full day, we headed out to the dam (it's a reservoir) to hang out, grill some burgers, etc., and on the way out of the campsite, I saw colored arrows on the road. Having finally done some group rides, I knew what those meant, but some were headed right toward paths that led to lake access area. Odd. Then I passed a woman on a road bike. Hybrids and e-bikes are common in the area because CAMPING, but road bikes, not so much. This woman was also in full kit, which, for the area, is weird. But, whatever. I almost brought one of my cycling outfits; in fact, we were on our way to a spot where I could get in a quick 17 miles.

Then we passed a fellow on a time trial bike. Then a couple more people... and it hit me: the reason I was worried about a campsite this weekend was because after my son got the weekend off, I heard about a triathlon at the lake. Sure enough, when we got to the recreation area by the dam, part of the road was closed, and an inflatable finish line arch was in place. And it got me thinking... no way could I win a triathlon, but could I compete?

I can definitely ride a bike. No problem. I can swim OK-ish. With any luck, I might be able to finish on the backstroke without drowning. I can run for short distances, and the pain to my knees and ankles is only slightly blinding. Also, I really hate running and always have. So... yeah, no, no triathlon for me. But Gosh bless those folks who came out to do it.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Lol

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
What does it take to get a man to ride an imperial half century on a Sunday, on a hybrid road bike?

https://strava.app.link/OxSeu7aistb

A free cupcake and waterbottle

This route was the Tour de Crave a local cupcake shops summer riding event, visit all 4 store locations on a bike and be entered to win a draw for a gift card and receive a free cupcake and waterbottle.

First almost century ride I've ever done, and now I know why centuries are a neat biking accomplishment, around the 60km mark I definitely felt lagging in energy.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

they managed to find the one legitimate use of torx fasteners on a bike to keep people from tampering with something they really shouldn't

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My bike is covered in torx :(

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Chillyrabbit posted:

What does it take to get a man to ride an imperial half century on a Sunday, on a hybrid road bike?

https://strava.app.link/OxSeu7aistb

A free cupcake and waterbottle

This route was the Tour de Crave a local cupcake shops summer riding event, visit all 4 store locations on a bike and be entered to win a draw for a gift card and receive a free cupcake and waterbottle.

First almost century ride I've ever done, and now I know why centuries are a neat biking accomplishment, around the 60km mark I definitely felt lagging in energy.

Neat!

My first semicentury was on a hybrid, too.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
LOL I just noticed what they are wrenching.

klezmer life yo
Jan 7, 2011

Chillyrabbit posted:

I did a HARD doubletake at this post, I just got back from a 30km ride on my same-colour Dew with racks and fenders with a loose goal of "buy cupcakes", and thought someone had posted a picture of my bike locked outside a different-but-similar suburban cupcake shop near Vancouver.

Congratulations, that's a long ride on a hybrid!

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I have a Giro Fixture helmet that's a couple of years old. The "forehead" pad has lost its ability to velcro, which is annoying. What's the fix? Fresh set of pads?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

bolind posted:

I have a Giro Fixture helmet that's a couple of years old. The "forehead" pad has lost its ability to velcro, which is annoying. What's the fix? Fresh set of pads?

Foam pads get properly smushed/degraded after a couple years so you should probably just get new pads.

For US-based customers, I have ordered Giro/Bell replacement pads from Weber Sports in the past.

https://www.webersports.com/Giro-Fixture-MIPS-Pad-Set

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

bolind posted:

There is also an eBay seller that fabricates and sells many different helmet pads if you can't find them from the manufacturer

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
The last few months, my partner and I've started going for relatively short rides on the weekend, but I recently upgraded from an ancient, superheavy 70's motobecane to a secondhand bianchi via nirone and I've been really getting into cycling as training on my own. Today was probably one of the last good dry autumn days and I'd planned to visit my parents and so I decided to take my bike out on a lovely 60 km trip. It's my first long and intense solo rides, and though there were a couple of harder parts, I had a lovely time. Didn't have any real fatigue or soreness issues, so I definitely took that as a good sign. I hope this weather keeps up and just maybe I'll do it again.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

https://cdn.shopify.com/videos/c/o/v/557c3f66da8b4f1eb6b5860479d33b6e.mp4

lol

e:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Snagged it.

Thanks.

(I assume I can transfer routes from MapMyRide etc. to this)

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

I like the part where the guy riding in the video never touches the little loopy part

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

Dog Case posted:

I like the part where the guy riding in the video never touches the little loopy part

Clamp it at the front of the utility loop for the ultimate BMX DUI bars!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If there are some surface rust spots on the frame of the bike, what is the best way fix those and cover them?

I live nearby the rust belt, so I want to do what I can to keep it from getting worse. I can't really leave it inside the building, so I'm thinking of covering it with a tarp when it rains

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
SOS pads are great for removing small areas of surface rust. They're basically 0000 steel wool, but with soap. They will erode paint, though... which is OK, because ideally, you will want to paint over the rust to prevent future rust. At least, this is what I'd do with any painted steel that was going to be outdoors. Bikefolk who deal with this more than I do may have better ideas.

As for keeping the bike dry, a tarp will work--I did that last year on a very wet campout--but it gets old quick, the sun will break it down, the wind will want to make it fly away, and if you live where wasps live, you will get a nasty surprise sometime around June. There are purpose-built bike tents that look neat, but I can't imagine they're a good long-term solution. If I had to deal with keeping a bike outside, I'd probably DIY something together out of wood, and maybe some shingles or something. That's just me, though. There's undoubtedly a better solution.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If there are some surface rust spots on the frame of the bike, what is the best way fix those and cover them?

I live nearby the rust belt, so I want to do what I can to keep it from getting worse. I can't really leave it inside the building, so I'm thinking of covering it with a tarp when it rains

Surface rust isn't usually an issue and I ride in salted slush during the winter. But if you wanna cover the spots nail polish works best. For removal I've heard of this citric acid - potato starch slurry if there's a lot of rust but haven't tried it myself. Don't burn off your eyes with the acid etc.

Inside of the frame is another matter and for that a small sewer hole under the bottom bracket shell to drain water helps a lot.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Trek Travels vacations are incredible if you have the means to afford one. My wife and I are on day 4 of 6 in the Costa Brava, Spain and both agree it’s the best vacation we’ve ever done. Almost everyone else in the group is on their 3rd, 4th, or 5th trip. Most of them have already done Tuscany and Croatia. I’ll post some pics after we wrap up and get back to the states.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
So I've been thinking about the metric century ride. I don't want to pony up a hectobuck to do the Trailnet ride, even if that afterparty will be fun, but, what if I planned my own?

The majority of this route is on the local rail-trail system, and is thus paved and well away from traffic. The straight N-S, E-W sections on the northeast part are country road connectors commonly used by cyclists in the area; at worst, they're oil-and-chip, but some are just old blacktop and not terrible. This starts in the northeast corner, and basically goes around this two-lobed route in a clockwise manner.

I'm not calling it a figure 8 because the part that looks like it crosses really doesn't the way it looks. Where it looks like they cross, one goes beneath the other, so there's a connector southeast of the overpass. I'll be on that connector twice, first to use it to go around the southern loop clockwise, and second using it and two sharp right turns to "turn left" to go up the western side of the northern loop. Then I'm back on the lead-in part of the trail, and back to my car.

I'm wondering if I should reverse direction, though. That would put the climb out of the big bowl in the first half of the ride, but it would put the country roads on the last half, making taking a break way less fun. Also, that bowl isn't really that bad; I do loops in that area all the time, and that bowl is always there because of the trail head I like to use.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

tarlibone posted:

So I've been thinking about the metric century ride. I don't want to pony up a hectobuck to do the Trailnet ride, even if that afterparty will be fun, but, what if I planned my own?

The majority of this route is on the local rail-trail system, and is thus paved and well away from traffic. The straight N-S, E-W sections on the northeast part are country road connectors commonly used by cyclists in the area; at worst, they're oil-and-chip, but some are just old blacktop and not terrible. This starts in the northeast corner, and basically goes around this two-lobed route in a clockwise manner.

I'm not calling it a figure 8 because the part that looks like it crosses really doesn't the way it looks. Where it looks like they cross, one goes beneath the other, so there's a connector southeast of the overpass. I'll be on that connector twice, first to use it to go around the southern loop clockwise, and second using it and two sharp right turns to "turn left" to go up the western side of the northern loop. Then I'm back on the lead-in part of the trail, and back to my car.

I'm wondering if I should reverse direction, though. That would put the climb out of the big bowl in the first half of the ride, but it would put the country roads on the last half, making taking a break way less fun. Also, that bowl isn't really that bad; I do loops in that area all the time, and that bowl is always there because of the trail head I like to use.

That bowl is like 1% grade so it should be an annoyance at worst, not a deal breaker by any means.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I saw the physio today and he's given me the OK to resume cycling/exercise. :cool:

His name was Hans, I absolutely asked him if we're the baddies.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

I saw the physio today and he's given me the OK to resume cycling/exercise. :cool:

Great news!

Raenir Salazar posted:

His name was Hans, I absolutely asked him if we're the baddies.

Nice. I love that bit.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
became the KOM today after 64 tries lmao

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

New ghost bike on my street :(

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My wife spent most of this year miserable because the saddles we had and the ones we tried weren't working out for her, turns out someone recommended the Ergon SMC saddle to her and it seems to be working pretty well.

Brooks C15 and B17 were both intolerable after two or three hours. Fabric Radius Scoop and Line Shallow weren't working out for her either. I've got a pile of mostly unused saddles sitting around now.

My Brooks Swift is still working out for me. I did have to do some bending of the frame rails because apparently Brooks's QC ain't great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
I was looking at getting some custom jerseys made for an upcoming ride, can anyone link me to the company that made bearpope? No issues with them I assume? Cheers.