Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

American McGay posted:

Conversely, coming from an XR I'm not sure you'd actually be able to tell the difference between a 13 or a 14. Guess it all depends on if $100 matters much to you.

This is where I was at and the difference could be 4 years of ownership vs 3. So I felt justified.

Also I’m sure it occurred to stebe not everyone likes U2 just wouldn’t have occurred to him to give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Weedle posted:

for many years the "artists" icon in the stock music app was a picture of bono. steve just loved that motherfucker. i guess we should be grateful that he wasn't a mega-fan of like. ratt

Ratt is way better than U2 fyi

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ratts debut album is loving all killer. Solid start to finish.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The weather Lock Screen wallpaper is the best

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hed posted:

I need more space to upgrade to iOS 16. The photos app is taking 5 GB. But everything is backed up to iCloud. Is this 5GB of thumbnails.

If I delete photos and redownload it after the upgrade what will I lose? All my photos? Local “2017 in review”s?

Hed posted:

No it’s set to “Optimize iPhone Storage”

I might have missed it, if I delete photos and redownload it am I going to be throwing away pics of my kids forever or
Something

Colinrobinson
Apr 10, 2005

Yeah I'm not positive what my deal is either, so I just sort of keep on truckin'

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

This is where I was at and the difference could be 4 years of ownership vs 3. So I felt justified.

That's what I am thinking too. Trying to (as best I can, anyway) consider that in addition to me wanting to hold on to a phone pretty long, I'll also be trying to give it a second life with a kid who will drop it onto concrete a month after I give it to them :bang:

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Hed posted:

I might have missed it, if I delete photos and redownload it am I going to be throwing away pics of my kids forever or
Something

that's 5gb of thumbnails on your phone, or it hasn't decided to optimize

what else is taking space on your phone per the storage thingy

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I don't really delete text messages I dunno why. Haven't in like 10 years.

Messages is taking up 21 gigs on my phone. :|

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Set imessages to time out after a year. Free yourself from the decade old nudes.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Hed posted:

Something

Don't do it! Deleted photos should stick in the deleted files part of iCloud for 30 days but I believe if you delete enough it starts clearing those out.

Do you have a computer? You can do an update through iTunes and it won't need any additional space on the phone.

I would highly suggest not only trusting iCloud as your only cloud storage for your photos because of how transparently it syncs across all devices. I use OneDrive in addition because at least with OneDrive if you accidentally delete a large number of photos or files it will flip out and email you a warning that it happened.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

The weather Lock Screen wallpaper is the best

I like that Lock Screen wallpaper too

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Set imessages to time out after a year. Free yourself from the decade old nudes.

It’s so loving stupid that there’s no options between 1 and 12 months. I’ll regularly search for like kid stuff my wife mentions, but a year back is way too much poo poo to store. Give me like 3 months as an option :argh:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’m learning to just let go, but I too would go for a 90-day option. So I guess you’re holding it wrong is what I’m saying.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It’s so loving stupid that there’s no options between 1 and 12 months. I’ll regularly search for like kid stuff my wife mentions, but a year back is way too much poo poo to store. Give me like 3 months as an option :argh:

Deleting "attachments" after 12 months would be a much better option than all messages.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ok I was able to thin out some apps and squeeze it in. Thanks!

Shifty Pony posted:

Do you have a computer? You can do an update through iTunes and it won't need any additional space on the phone.

Thanks I didn’t know this! I have way too many computers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Buff Hardback posted:

I’m just not going to get it replaced until I know the fix is out, seems a bit wasteful to swap when it might happen again
This reminds of when timb got like four iPhones replaced early on because the screen had a slight yellow tint, but it was actually just the adhesive fully drying to transparent.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
“Check out these cool new Lock Screen widgets! Also look how your photos can have the subject appear in front of the time! These are the two most noticeable features of iOS 16 and we love them. No, of course you can’t have both of them at the same time, you loving imbecile.”

- Apple, 2022

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I like the new lock screens but a few years ago I started using solid black wallpaper and it’s so much more legible and neat looking that it’s hard to switch.

E- I’ll probably keep using the earth or weather lock screen but black is the best under app icons

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Snowy posted:

I like the new lock screens but a few years ago I started using solid black wallpaper and it’s so much more legible and neat looking that it’s hard to switch.

E- I’ll probably keep using the earth or weather lock screen but black is the best under app icons

Steve was right all along.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Is it true that iOS 16 removed the auto dark/light theme? I like that my current (stock Apple) wallpaper changes to dark at night at the same time as my widgets/apps in iOS 15 but apparently you need to gently caress with Focus settings to re create this behavior for some reason now?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

~Coxy posted:

Steve was right all along.

lmao at the vuvuzela app. Such a product of its time

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WarMECH posted:

Is it true that iOS 16 removed the auto dark/light theme? I like that my current (stock Apple) wallpaper changes to dark at night at the same time as my widgets/apps in iOS 15 but apparently you need to gently caress with Focus settings to re create this behavior for some reason now?

This? If so, no, it's still there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

TraderStav posted:

lmao at the vuvuzela app. Such a product of its time

Terminal :lmao:

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Endless Mike posted:

This? If so, no, it's still there.

Think they're talking about light/dark wallpapers

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It removed the default wallpapers that shipped with whatever iOS version came on the 13 models, so if I want to keep the one I’m used to but also change the ugly default clock widget font I need to go download the wallpaper from the internet because just changing the widget on an existing wallpaper is no good, you have to start it from scratch for no good reason at all, and I don’t know if I can be bothered.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Apple sent my 14 to an address from 6 years ago. This happened with my 11, 12, and 13. It has been “changed” every single time. In the store app and my Apple account the address is correct. :suicide:

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

FlapYoJacks posted:

Apple sent my 14 to an address from 6 years ago. This happened with my 11, 12, and 13. It has been “changed” every single time. In the store app and my Apple account the address is correct. :suicide:

I had an apple account from the mid 2000s when I had an 1st gen iPod touch. I switched from android to iPhone a couple of years ago and used that account and for months I would see my address from 15 years ago as the billing address despite having put in the correct address everywhere I could find in the phone, my account, etc. Apple support couldn’t help. I forget how I finally fixed it but think it involved me like logging into iTunes in the browser or something.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

Apple sent my iPhone to the correct address but my AirPods had the incorrect address to begin with. I don’t have my old home address saved anywhere anymore but they did he same to me.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Apple stores an address for each card in your wallet, and then also for the card you select in Apple Pay. Then there's also one for just Transaction Defaults in the Wallet/Apple Pay setting. Far as I can tell, these are separate from anywhere else. I don't know if that helps anyone, but I've moved a few times recently and have to go around trying to figure out where to update my address.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

WarMECH posted:

Yes, they got rid of them for some reason. Very annoying since the feature is still there and works if you never changed the wallpapers but there's no way to edit the clock.

A workaround is to set up an automatic shortcut to switch the wallpaper and set dark/light modes at certain times.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

“Check out these cool new Lock Screen widgets! Also look how your photos can have the subject appear in front of the time! These are the two most noticeable features of iOS 16 and we love them. No, of course you can’t have both of them at the same time, you loving imbecile.”

- Apple, 2022
Wait you can have the subject appear in front of the time? How do you do that?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Wait you can have the subject appear in front of the time? How do you do that?

The phone automatically processes your photo library to determine candidates. In general it needs a subject clearly separated from the background, like a person or a mountain.

Then once it does that processing, you set up a new "Photos" wallpaper and select an image from the 'Featured' category. Not all featured photos work but most will.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm sure the girl at AT&T I had to deal with the other day after web process just didn't work "accidentally" subscribed me to their lovely $20/mo protection plan without asking, and only had my best interests at heart. And I love how the emails asking me to review the bill and pricing that just leads to a blank page isn't a bad sign at all.

Seriously, gently caress everyone and everything in this chain of 'just trying to buy a phone' experience thus far.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's also very picky about space above the subject, and since it only does crop by zoom and doesn't let you freely position the photo some just won't be compatible.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

xzzy posted:

The phone automatically processes your photo library to determine candidates. In general it needs a subject clearly separated from the background, like a person or a mountain.

Then once it does that processing, you set up a new "Photos" wallpaper and select an image from the 'Featured' category. Not all featured photos work but most will.

My phone is still processing my library for this and I have less than 400 pics. Very slow process, or am I just unlucky?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

RandolphCarter posted:

My phone is still processing my library for this and I have less than 400 pics. Very slow process, or am I just unlucky?

That seems slow to me, it processed my library of a few thousand images in about 24 hours. But I have no insight to how Apple does anything so I have no useful advice whatsoever.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

It's also very picky about space above the subject, and since it only does crop by zoom and doesn't let you freely position the photo some just won't be compatible.

Use 2 fingers and you can also move the photo, not just zoom in and out.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm sure the girl at AT&T I had to deal with the other day after web process just didn't work "accidentally" subscribed me to their lovely $20/mo protection plan without asking, and only had my best interests at heart. And I love how the emails asking me to review the bill and pricing that just leads to a blank page isn't a bad sign at all.

Seriously, gently caress everyone and everything in this chain of 'just trying to buy a phone' experience thus far.

This is the worst part of the mobile companies right now (it seems to be everyone in the US at least) and they do not give a poo poo. Feels like it's going to take a big lawsuit to fix this.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

EL BROMANCE posted:

This should really be a lawsuit. I see on my AT&T family plan there are bullshit protection plans too. So many millions of boomers get signed up for this bullshit that is just pure profit. I don't know if my parents even realize they got signed up for it. But another thing with boomers is they don't keep track of which charges are going out monthly so they don't even notice or care that they're getting charged some $x per month for a bunch of garbage they'll never use. And it will never get cancelled either without me being proactive about it (veering into e/n), so that monthly charge will literally be taken the rest of their life.

The rep you dealt with definitely has a bonus or quota tied to how many protection plans they sell too, so it is a huge incentive for funny business Wells Fargo type bullshit.

Just venting!

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

fr3lm0 posted:

Use 2 fingers and you can also move the photo, not just zoom in and out.

Right, I meant you can't just slap the photo on there. The top of the photo can't be below the frame.

If I want a harder border on there it should let me drat it