Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Elviscat posted:

E:^^^ I had a cursed career partly because I never had the time or inclination to work the System like that.

Edit: my point was to avoid IAs by spending 80% of your career on sea duty or PCSing, and it actually isn't all that great.

piL fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Lil_Weinstein/status/1571692949213450250?t=4bSlb8Zu1KDq5_l4c2c5pg&s=19

I know Mr Nice worked his way up from deck to O to out of the Navy but man I could not imagine being in charge of those Sailors

Edit: Checked in on the replies, not surprisingly most men in her replies don't know anything about the Navy and think she's an Army 1LT

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 19, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
What was it? The tweet was deleted.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

What was it? The tweet was deleted.

https://twitter.com/Saltygoat5/status/1571689070727950336?t=_cKvDk4af5rfEQUM86h-YQ&s=19

A (Lady) SWO First Lieutenant QTed this saying that her job was similar to a teachers with dealing with the stupid poo poo deck Sailors get up to.

Of course this brought out the usual crowd that don't understand what a Navy First Lieutenant is/does and wouldn't have a issue with a dude saying that

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/Saltygoat5/status/1571689070727950336?t=_cKvDk4af5rfEQUM86h-YQ&s=19

A (Lady) SWO First Lieutenant QTed this saying that her job was similar to a teachers with dealing with the stupid poo poo deck Sailors get up to.

Of course this brought out the usual crowd that don't understand what a Navy First Lieutenant is/does and wouldn't have a issue with a dude saying that

Probably nobody who's Twitter is connected to them and is viewable by their Sailors should post that, but almost assuredly not for the reasons the Twitter mob rallied for.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
lol

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Why is a Navy O-3 worried about whether deck seaman Smith is shaved and wearing his uniform? There are like three levels of enlisted leadership and an ensign or LTJG between the 1stLT and that stuff.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hekk posted:

Why is a Navy O-3 worried about whether deck seaman Smith is shaved and wearing his uniform? There are like three levels of enlisted leadership and an ensign or LTJG between the 1stLT and that stuff.

A 1st LT is anywhere from O1 to O4 depending on ship class.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Stultus Maximus posted:

Ahh fair enough. My experience working with them was on amphibs. However, the point mostly still stands.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hekk posted:

Ahh fair enough. My experience working with them was on amphibs. However, the point mostly still stands.

On a big deck, the 1st LT is a department head. Deck is a department. On a DDG or CG, the 1st LT is a first tour divo because deck is just a division - not a department. Depending on their chief and BM1, they may be doing much more day to day managing their division.

I've been a chiefless divo before, and you have to do everything. I'm not at all surprised that a 1st LT on a smallboy complaining about having to police their Sailors.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The only people probably less manageable than deck types are the hull techs.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Mr. Nice! posted:

As someone who was ignorant enough to sign on as GTEP for guaranteed HM school, this is 100% true, followed closely by the FN rates.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
HTs are the biggest lie, I think, in what you’re told your job will be and what your job actually is. “Yeah, sure, you’re going to be welding all day and custom fabricating parts for the ship.” In reality, they’re plumbers.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's an E-5/6 collateral duty on subs

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Shouts out to CDR Regelbrugge, who was 1LT on deployment 1 and unfortunately died in the Oso landslide.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I had issues with a BM2 on my second ship constantly complaining about me because I kept getting his non-rates opportunities to do poo poo outside of deck div. (I was the TRAINO.) It came to a head during a midwatch when I was talking with one of his guys who was looking to go IS and whom I recruited to be on my SNOOPY team and told him to take an A-school slot if he could get it. The BM2 interpreted that as me saying that any rate that doesn't require an A-school is somehow lesser and decided to go straight to the CO with it.

That was some fun needless bullshit drama.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
In the Navy everyone of every rank is liable to be hauled off on by a superior for not squaring away anyone they outrank for any reason at any time whether they were aware of the issue or not hth

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
After week three when everyone has watched the latest episodes of whatever for the 5th time theres nothing to do except start drama for your own entertainment anyways.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

In the Navy everyone of every rank is liable to be hauled off on by a superior for not squaring away anyone they outrank for any reason at any time whether they were aware of the issue or not hth

Any time I have to call out one of my guys on uniform poo poo, I always end it with, "and you know I'm only saying this because if a Khaki sees you, I'm the one getting yelled at, right?"

I am well aware that I'm "doing it wrong" but I don't care and I won't stop.

In somewhat related news, my Chief is the DLCPO now, and my fellow E-6 is acting LCPO. I got my first draft of my eval back, and I knew I should have made a bigger deal of taking itl directly to chief, but now I at least get to see his notes on all the stupid poo poo GM1 felt the need to add. The only think keeping my from tearing GM1 a new one is the knowledge that Chief has read dozens of evals that I've written, and more than a few MAP packages and SOQ/SOY packages, so he MUST know that I didn't write this poo poo. Mother fucker didn't even run a spell check.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nick Soapdish posted:

Like what’s the problem with the tweet? I’m clearly missing come context here.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Any time I have to call out one of my guys on uniform poo poo, I always end it with, "and you know I'm only saying this because if a Khaki sees you, I'm the one getting yelled at, right?"

I've carried this on to my civilian career as a teacher for certain things. "No I don't give a poo poo about your dress code violation but when the assistant principal sees you he'll yell at you and then yell at me for allowing it." type stuff.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

The khaki version has a delightful symmetry. Of course i dont care, but if the enlisted see you, then they won't respect you or do maintenance.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I've leveraged my years of valuable E6 experience telling people to "go loving shave before Chief sees you" or "if your hair isn't cut when you come in tomorrow you're getting a counseling chit" in my civilian job to tell people "yes, you have to wear steel toes for the ENTIRE shift" and "put cut-resistant gloves on before EHS notices and yells at me"

E: that was one skill I was hoping I wouldn't have to use, but it turns out 90% of my crew are former E4s and E5s in the Navy, AF or USMC.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I do this all the time but its the truth. I didn't set any of the standards but I have to uphold them to protect everyone in the department, not just myself.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Like what’s the problem with the tweet? I’m clearly missing come context here.

Cynicism is the same as criticism in the eyes of some rear end in a top hat. And that rear end in a top hat will always see your tweet. So never real name tweet poo poo.

Thou shalt not criticize, but obey is seared on my soul forever.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Proust Malone posted:

Cynicism is the same as criticism in the eyes of some rear end in a top hat. And that rear end in a top hat will always see your tweet. So never real name tweet poo poo.

Thou shalt not criticize, but obey is seared on my soul forever.

Mostly this. To defend my position of 'not a good idea,' the original tweet included comparing their Sailors to children which is slightly worse than just the meme. Most Sailors, most of the time, will read such a tweet as jovial with the capital N Navy as the target, but I'm mostly concerned with soandso alone after a bad day three sheets to the wind checking their twitter. Any negative criticism, especially towards a subordinate, especially asynchronously, can be a painful barb. A tweet read two days later after someone showed up looking like poo poo the morning their dog got hit by a car might feel to them like directed commentary, even if nobody noticed. Public praise, private criticism applies online too, for that reason, maybe even more then usual. Shitalking is best done in person upfront.

Again, I'm confident she received a bunch of bullshit shredding her for much stupider reasons gonavygo, but I would talk to a JO about such stuff if I saw it for the above reason, and absolutely advise against real name posting.

piL fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 21, 2022

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Those of you that were nukes and thought "Boy, I loved radcon, I would love to do more radcon like stuff" you can re-live the experience with a resin 3d printer!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You know what is the best training for RadCon? Cleaning DC machinery. Carbon dust acts just like contamination, except you can see it, and it gets everywhere, and you look like a coal miner. Then you spend the next hour trying to clean up the carbon, everything you touch is now contaminated with carbon, every footprint leaves carbon, its an endless cycle.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Lol, I've made that exact suggestion for RadCon training before.

When I was on Virginia I failed to appreciate the lack of electricians wandering around looking like they just got home from a shift at the coal mines. In compensation I got to see it like every other week on Conn, where the SSMGs had commutators with surface finishes like sandpaper and constantly broke and ate brushes non-stop.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
gently caress all dc motors and the sadists who designed them. Also gently caress the chain of command and gently caress the navy

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

Grip it and rip it posted:

gently caress all dc motors and the sadists who designed them. Also gently caress the chain of command and gently caress the navy

Finally, some balance to crab daddy.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Grip it and rip it posted:

Hell yeah, same

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
https://www.kitsapsun.com/story/new...nia/8070930001/

USS loving Nimitz posted:

Jet fuel contaminates water supply aboard USS Nimitz before deployment

Well, the next month is gonna be fun.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

If you've never tasted JP5 in your water, are you really a sailor?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Honestly, my Career Navy Shittiness cred is extremely light. I didn't even set foot on foreign soil until my DH tour, as long as you don't count foreign aircraft carriers.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
The meme was a little funny as a general military meme, but it does look a lovely for an O to be making light of their sailors like that. Also publicly posting any meme with your real name is probably not the smartest idea either*

Shitposting memes on reddit with an alt, now thats the move

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/us-fugitive-known-fat-leonard-apprehended-venezuela-authorities-say-rcna46656

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Rename it the USS Red Hill

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mwwahahahahaha. He’s so hosed. If he was really going to Russia, doubly so.

Also, that’s a great mug shot. The look of a man who knows how hosed he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/propublica/status/1573720672836407296

ProPublica has an indepth on the NCIS deciding that a single E1 caused the Bonhomme Richard fire.

quote:

In court, the Navy has tried to stymie questions about its motivations — and even to quash evidence its own officers gathered about dangerous conditions aboard the Bonhomme Richard. Last month, the prosecutor, Capt. Jason Jones, asked the judge to forbid Mays’ counsel from presenting the conclusions of the command investigation. Mays, who now holds the lowest military rank of E1, should not be able to ask the court to view him as the fall guy, Jones said.

The Navy wasn’t the problem, Jones said in court, and the trial argument shouldn’t in any way imply that “the Navy needs a scapegoat and therefore we picked an E1.”