Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

SCheeseman posted:

I was paraphrasing a dumbass response I got when described human memory of visual data and AI art generation tools as conceptually similar. Apparently this means I think the brain runs 7zip. Except the "unless it does idk" I added that because I was afraid it was gonna be taken seriously, didn't work rip

all good friend, I'll direct my condescending ire toward stux :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What was the prompt for this one

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

New York Times Best Seller "Mal Molt Dosta Dood Doolth", or "storybook about a baby seal disguised as a loaf of bread that only eats Doritos and drinks Mountain Dew in a magical forest of smiling happy rat families"

Except for the hilarious titles, Stable Diffusion does a better job IMO:

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 20, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SCheeseman posted:

I was paraphrasing a dumbass response I got when I described human memory of visual data and AI art generation tools as conceptually similar. Apparently this means I think the brain runs 7zip. Except the "unless it does idk" I added that because I was afraid it was gonna be taken seriously, didn't work rip

This is exactly how your brain works. you don't store an mpeg, when you remember things you are imagining the past

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Hey is it art now?

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
I'm tempted to start making art installation pieces based on prompts.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Hey is it art now?

WHERE, I ask, is the

S O U L

???

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

sometimes you just get 5 perfect images:

"the death of modern art, pencil sketch by R. Crumb"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hey is it art now?

nothing is art

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Posting is art.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

What was the prompt for this one

I got a bunch of fun results with this, generated for a forum game, and though only the last one was actually used, some of the others are too cool not to share.

"retro sci-fi hazmat suit, high fashion. retro futurism. vogue magazine coverpage."

"hazmat suit. avant gaurd ffashion designed by Zdislaw beksinski and giger"
(typo included)

Retro sci fi Hazmat diver suit. Underwater. High-end fashion magazine. Highly detailed sharp focus face. [GEN]. cover art by anderson ,arnold armitage, loish, thomas kinkade

(final, edited very with photoshop to ad a logo and fix the hair)

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Pay me for reading my post. Its art.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I mean, I wouldn't mind if Open AI/Midjourney/etc had to pay out like 10% of income to (in-copyright) artists used in prompts proportionally to how often they're invoked. Imo, Rutkowski should be compensated for inadvertently turning out the secret ingredient of fantasy AI art.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Burning Rain posted:

I mean, I wouldn't mind if Open AI/Midjourney/etc had to pay out like 10% of income to (in-copyright) artists used in prompts proportionally to how often they're invoked. Imo, Rutkowski should be compensated for inadvertently turning out the secret ingredient of fantasy AI art.

ok but you have to pay me for my prompts then

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah absolutely, they should respect the copyright to Greg Rutkowski's style. One sec, I'm getting a phone call from a lawyer...

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
yeah, i'm not saying any of that

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
I’m gonna steal Greg’s hands

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
What does Greg Rutkowski own the copyright too? Because the concept "You can not learn from my images without paying me," is definitely a wild one.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Also most copyright isn’t even owned by the artist at this point. In practice the freelancer on deviantart would get 3 cents over their lifetime and you’d open yet another money tap for Disney, Sony and a bunch of obscure Luxemburgish holding companies

Also https://copyrightalliance.org/education/copyright-law-explained/limitations-on-a-copyright-owners-rights/fair-use-exceptions-copyright/

quote:

The fair use exception permits a party to use a work without the copyright owner’s permission and without compensating the copyright owner for such use in certain circumstances. The copyright law identifies certain types of uses, including criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research as examples of activities that may qualify as a fair use.

“Ah but training an AI is not actually teaching, scholarship or research”. Idk, we’ll see. And if so, ok then we should change the law to allow it. It’s not hard, but I know a few multinational corporations that will lobby against it every inch of the way

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
i'm not saying there is or should be any enforcable copyright in using the images to train up the software. just saying it would be swell if corps would share part of the income with the artists who's work are evidently giving their tools their appeal with customers.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

Also most copyright isn’t even owned by the artist at this point. In practice the freelancer on deviantart would get 3 cents over their lifetime and you’d open yet another money tap for Disney, Sony and a bunch of obscure Luxemburgish holding companies

Also https://copyrightalliance.org/education/copyright-law-explained/limitations-on-a-copyright-owners-rights/fair-use-exceptions-copyright/

“Ah but training an AI is not actually teaching, scholarship or research”. Idk, we’ll see. And if so, ok then we should change the law to allow it. It’s not hard, but I know a few multinational corporations that will lobby against it every inch of the way

Training an AI is already fair use according to US court precedent. See google vs authors guild, or the turnitin.com lawsuit.

That said, Japan has already added an explicit carveout for training machine learning models.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
In theory yes, but in practice there’s no real way of knowing which style the consumer wants to emulate, and styles weren’t protected before and I doubt they will be in the future. That’s kind of like wishing that a music-generated AI would share, for example, income with Sabaton because people make music “in the style of Sabaton” because the consumer is insufficiently educated to know “Swedish ballad power metal” will yield similar results.

Edit: re compensating Greg Rutkowski

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I can see a situation where AI models become like cell lines used in biology research, there's a bunch of named cell lines that seem to replicate forever, they have cell lines for testing liver drugs, cell lines for testing heart medications etc etc. Sometimes lines are created as branches from another well known line

There's obviously the dall-e/midjourney/stable diffusion lines now

There is now the "waifu" line from the stable diffusion 1.2; I'm sure someone will take the stable diffusion 1.4 and apply a much larger "waifu" data set to it

Somebody else is going to take the future 1.4 waifu model and they'll append a celeberty photography database to it. Then a couple months later someone will append to the wifu-celeberty model the national geographic photography database to it, and share it on bit torrent. And then someone will train 10,000 images of horses and re-share that, etc etc. Someone will finally train the updated horse ai on a couple thousand images of bugs bunny and share that via bit torrent. ad nauseum. An old copy of the getty images photography database (With tags) will get leaked and we'll train against that.

Doesn't really matter whose images it's been trained on at this point, it's free and you can train new images to the existing model, probably indefinitely. Unless you give the exact prompt with the image, it'll be (I presume) impossible for someone like disney or fox to go after you for using an AI trained on xyz copyrighted materials to generate your work

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

Deltasquid posted:

In theory yes, but in practice there’s no real way of knowing which style the consumer wants to emulate, and styles weren’t protected before and I doubt they will be in the future. That’s kind of like wishing that a music-generated AI would share, for example, income with Sabaton because people make music “in the style of Sabaton” because the consumer is insufficiently educated to know “Swedish ballad power metal” will yield similar results.

Edit: re compensating Greg Rutkowski

yeah, I know it's extremely unlikely - it's not like Spotify where you play specific songs by specific artist even when playing "Sabaton radio". But precisely because it would benefit Disney/etc more than random artists, they might get interested in a potential stream of revenue - but more likely by building their own branch of heavily restricted model.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Personally I’m just happy something like stablediffusion exists. Much like how gimp and paint.net allow digital artists to use open source alternatives to things like Photoshop, this will open the door to adoption by all artists instead of reserving AI art to an elite class. And training those datasets without fear for injunctions because a single frame of steamboat willy was used in their training, and subsequently keeping those datasets open source, uncopyrighted/uncopyrighteable, is an important aspect of that.

All the hand-wringing about the medium feels a bit like how photography was supposedly going to kill the visual arts. “Real” Art will adapt (probably dive headlong into the money laundering business) and “not real” art (i.e. pop art, including, yes, a bunch of deviantart sanic OC’s and people making collages of their favourite anime characters kissing) will flourish. And the vast majority of consumers will give AI art a whirl and crap out the equivalent of bathroom stall selfies while artists who dedicate time to master the medium will be more distinguishable fine art photography, by comparison.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Burning Rain posted:

i'm not saying there is or should be any enforcable copyright in using the images to train up the software. just saying it would be swell if corps would share part of the income with the artists who's work are evidently giving their tools their appeal with customers.

we should make sure everyone in society can live with dignity. but that doesn't really have anything to do with AI art imho

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hadlock posted:

I can see a situation where AI models become like cell lines used in biology research, there's a bunch of named cell lines that seem to replicate forever, they have cell lines for testing liver drugs, cell lines for testing heart medications etc etc. Sometimes lines are created as branches from another well known line

There's obviously the dall-e/midjourney/stable diffusion lines now

There is now the "waifu" line from the stable diffusion 1.2; I'm sure someone will take the stable diffusion 1.4 and apply a much larger "waifu" data set to it

Somebody else is going to take the future 1.4 waifu model and they'll append a celeberty photography database to it. Then a couple months later someone will append to the wifu-celeberty model the national geographic photography database to it, and share it on bit torrent. And then someone will train 10,000 images of horses and re-share that, etc etc. Someone will finally train the updated horse ai on a couple thousand images of bugs bunny and share that via bit torrent. ad nauseum. An old copy of the getty images photography database (With tags) will get leaked and we'll train against that.

Doesn't really matter whose images it's been trained on at this point, it's free and you can train new images to the existing model, probably indefinitely. Unless you give the exact prompt with the image, it'll be (I presume) impossible for someone like disney or fox to go after you for using an AI trained on xyz copyrighted materials to generate your work

ever read that short story about the first man to upload his brain? he was useful for simulated slavery becuase his default state was ignorant of the possibilities of what could be inflicted on simulated brains. his brain pattern got copied and used for e-slavery by billions of people over thousands of years. whenever he become non compliant they just reset him to believing he was uploaded yesterday

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Rutibex posted:

we should make sure everyone in society can live with dignity. but that doesn't really have anything to do with AI art imho

Show me an artist with dignity, I know I don’t have any

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rutibex posted:

ever read that short story about the first man to upload his brain? he was useful for simulated slavery becuase his default state was ignorant of the possibilities of what could be inflicted on simulated brains. his brain pattern got copied and used for e-slavery by billions of people over thousands of years. whenever he become non compliant they just reset him to believing he was uploaded yesterday

I have not, that sounds very interesting

I was thinking earlier, the european version of NASA announced their new space shuttle and I wanted to use stable diffisuion to do a montage with the american space shuttle, and I realized because of the datum the model doesn't contain anything newer than ~July 30, 2022 so I can never do that since the model doesn't know what future (real) technology looks like, unless you start off as a base image. It also doesn't know what, for example, the 2024 ford mustang looks like, and I'm sure there will be other problems over time as it becomes increasingly outdated

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It looks like a 2022 Mustang.

But I think the models will get updated and retrained every so often. The $500k or whatever it cost to train SD isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

With a good enough prompt structure, you can turn it into anything…

these have come out good. what kind of hardware are you running it on?

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Mad props to anyone who can guess the prompt for these:

hint:

Same prompt in Craiyon

axolotl farmer fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Sep 20, 2022

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

echinopsis posted:

these have come out good. what kind of hardware are you running it on?

just a 2080 super, hardware doesn't really change much other than: how you set it up, and how long it takes to render

Moongrave fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Sep 20, 2022

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

just a 2080 super, hardware doesn't really change much other than: how you set it up, and how long it takes to render

right.. I'm running out of vram going above 512x512, on a 8gb video card. but tbh I haven't really tried to find a solution yet. maybe need to gently caress around a bit more

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

right.. I'm running out of vram going above 512x512, on a 8gb video card. but tbh I haven't really tried to find a solution yet. maybe need to gently caress around a bit more
Try some of the optimized versions. I've been able to do 512x768 and 768x768 on an 8gb 1070.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Imagine four balls on the edge to a cliff...

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sedgr posted:

How many dimensions is the latent space containing the cliff?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

TheGoonspiracist posted:

I'm tempted to start making art installation pieces based on prompts.

]

these legit look like modern art installations. artists are about to get turbo lazy when they start using AI to guide their projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Sedgr posted:

Ding ding ding!