Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ned posted:

It means you can stay at my house. Or maybe not. The lady friend is mad at me because some friends are doing a photo shoot in my yard and there is nudity!

My bad. I thought you just had a little restaurant with an excellent name :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lol I can tell you I wouldn’t do this at least.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Someone took Walk the Yamanote a little too literally oops

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Was just some fake news on twitter.

https://www.huffingtonpost.jp/entry/story_jp_6324183be4b0ed021dfb69b9

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
So.. who didn't want to go to work that morning?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Bofast posted:

My bad. I thought you just had a little restaurant with an excellent name :D

It is what I am going to call my guest house.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ned posted:

It is what I am going to call my guest house.

Very nice

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Stay safe friends

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Stay safe friends

Batten down the hatches. Crossing fingers friends in Kyushu haven’t blown away.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Anyone traveled from Europe to Japan recently, how full were the flights?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Not so bad but yes you do still need a proper PCR test or proof of 3 recognized vaccines.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

peanut posted:

Not so bad but yes you do still need a proper PCR test or proof of 3 recognized vaccines.

Got it, seems like the former policy where a PCR test is required changed.

quote:

From 0:00 am (JST) on September 7, 2022, among all cross-border travelers and returnees from countries/regions where the B.1.1.529 Omicron variant becomes dominant, those who possess a valid vaccination certificate of COVID-19 will be no longer required to submit the certificate of negative result of pre-departure COVID-19 test.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yep, if you've got three shots now (and are in/coming from certain countries) then the PCR test is waived.

Flights might still be weird or infrequent thanks to the daily arrival limits still in place, and not flying over Russia, but the arrival limit might be changing soon as well if rumors hold true.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Yeah seems like flights from Europe to Tokyo are around 12 to 14 hours now because airspace over Russia is closed.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How do they treat little ones who are not able to have 3 shots yet?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Kids 6 and under don't require PCR or vaccines.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
What's the best way to get a SIM card for Japan as a tourist? Something like this would be the best? - https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Docomo-Prepaid-50GB-Physical-90days/dp/B09KXJSFPF/

I also see some eSim options although I've never used it but I know my phone is capable.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Sep 20, 2022

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
here we fukin go

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Last time I just bought something in a vending machine at the airport.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I dunno about making calls but I just buy a sim with unlimited data from a desk in the airport

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Man, it's so much easier than even just ten years ago.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Rent a mobile router.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

nielsm posted:

Last time I just bought something in a vending machine at the airport.

That was a pocari sweat.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Busy Bee posted:

What's the best way to get a SIM card for Japan as a tourist? Something like this would be the best? - https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Docomo-Prepaid-50GB-Physical-90days/dp/B09KXJSFPF/

I also see some eSim options although I've never used it but I know my phone is capable.

I usually buy mine from japan-rail-pass.com

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Pollyanna posted:

Rent a mobile router.
If you’re travelling in a group this is definitely the best option rather than everyone getting their own SIM card, or wasting your battery on people tethering off your phone.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I 1000% disagree.

SIM cards are super cheap these days (you could get an unlimited SIM card for 20-30 bucks for a month) and not being tied together by only having a single router is way better. There's basically 0% chance that you're going to be all together in wifi range all the time. It also means you don't have another device to have to charge/watch the battery on and one less thing to deal with when you're leaving.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 20, 2022

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

This is perhaps a stupid question, but if I wanted to get an unlimited data SIM card when I arrive in Japan, is it as easy as popping out my current one on my AT&T iPhone 13 pro and popping in the new one? Then reversing the process when I get back to the US?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
There's a couple extra steps like entering in the access point but if your phone is compatible then it's not a big deal. I had a phone that had compatibility issues and it was huge pain in the rear end to get running. If you order online they usually have a list of compatible phones they have tested.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I found 30 GB / 180 days eSim for $35 - probably the most convenient.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Zettace posted:

There's a couple extra steps like entering in the access point but if your phone is compatible then it's not a big deal. I had a phone that had compatibility issues and it was huge pain in the rear end to get running. If you order online they usually have a list of compatible phones they have tested.

Ok, thanks, I’ll have to figure out how to check whether it’s compatible

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you have compatibility issues I've used the wifi thing from cdjapan a couple times. Super easy, they send it to your hotel so it's there when you arrive, then just stick it in the mailbox at the airport when you leave.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I’ve used bmobile and sent the sim to the airport.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zettace posted:

Sometimes you don't have to do that and it's really as easy as swapping the SIM. Now how that will work with Apple and others going eSIM only is an open question.

Belteshazzar
Oct 4, 2004

我が生涯に
一片の悔い無し
My first thought is that might break WhatsApp but apparently it's okay, you can just answer no to a "switch number" prompt? https://www.reddit.com/r/whatsapp/comments/pwtgn0/whatsapp_while_using_an_international_sim_card/

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Don't forget that once you arrive at the airport, head straight for the conbini and grab a currydon and crack a couple of strongies

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

drinking yebisu with salarymen on the train from the airport to Tokyo is a perfectly legal thrill

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I sat along the river in Kyoto and drank an entire little bottle of umeshu over an evening and it was real dope. Can recommend.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There also is the option of using your carrier's international plan for a few days. It was $10 a day with AT&T (apparently only $5 a day with Verizon, plus one free day a year), so yeah, a sim is cheaper, much cheaper if you're going to be there for a while. But if for some reason you are in a hurry or having a bit of an anxiety event and can't grab one in the airport you at least have the option of just flipping that on with your phone directly.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Midjack posted:

Sometimes you don't have to do that and it's really as easy as swapping the SIM. Now how that will work with Apple and others going eSIM only is an open question.

You could always search for how dual SIM works on an iPhone (which is a feature available from the iPhone XR forward) - and calls out specifically the “traveling overseas” option. Just set it up in your phone then choose which SIM should be used for different features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

harperdc posted:

You could always search for how dual SIM works on an iPhone (which is a feature available from the iPhone XR forward) - and calls out specifically the “traveling overseas” option. Just set it up in your phone then choose which SIM should be used for different features.

Oh sure but switching to local service won't be as easy as buying a card off the rack and shoving a fleck of plastic into your phone, it will require some fiddling in settings. The iPhone 14 sold in the US doesn't have a SIM slot, which means everyone else will do the same thing over the next 3-5 years.