Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

LifeSunDeath posted:

Are you a frog pills or no frog pills in your chili kind of person?

Depends if they're dried frog pills, like the Bursar takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Confusedslight posted:

Wonder if the outcome of the last trial shook him and he'll be uncharacteristically less uhh Alex Jones if that makes sense.

Now I'm just hoping the CT team is able to drop a bombshell on Jones when he gets on stand even half as powerful as TX's "Oh and we have an image of Jone's phone"

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Confusedslight posted:

Wonder if the outcome of the last trial shook him and he'll be uncharacteristically less uhh Alex Jones if that makes sense.
Doubtful. I honestly don't think he can turn it off.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Alkydere posted:

Now I'm just hoping the CT team is able to drop a bombshell on Jones when he gets on stand even half as powerful as TX's "Oh and we have an image of Jone's phone"

robot clone alex jones

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Alkydere posted:

I keep reading CT as an abbreviation for CT scan and expecting something about Jones and brain damage, having or causing

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I was assuming that there was still part of him that was still somewhat rational. Jokes on me I guess!

I really wish Bankston was the plaintiff in this trial. Feeling a bit nervous about the one we have here. He's not bad but he doesn't appear to be at the level and expertise that Bankstons on.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Sep 20, 2022

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
The recent opening arguments talks about him a little bit. The guy has some serious chops as a federal (or state?) attorney prosecuting violations of the CT unfair trade act which Alex has defaulted on and will be the thing that unlocks punitive damages. He's apparently an expert but yeah, according to the expert they interviewed, either reynal was bad at objecting compared to Pattis or Texas court culture was a little different to let mark be more dramatic.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Oh other thing I just learned from that ep is that I think the compensation award had to be unanimous from the jury but the judge will determine punitives if the jury decides it is warranted. And only six people on the jury.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Unless things are wildly more permissive in TX (which they very well could be) I suspect Norm could have successfully objected to some of Bankston’s questioning if he were running things there. There were definitely several moments that I found hilarious but that felt pretty extra and I remember being a bit surprised that Reynal wasn’t stepping in. I chalked it up to Reynal being completely out of his depth and, lovely as he is, Norm being better versed in the basic mechanics of this kind of trial.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ILL Machina posted:

The recent opening arguments talks about him a little bit. The guy has some serious chops as a federal (or state?) attorney prosecuting violations of the CT unfair trade act which Alex has defaulted on and will be the thing that unlocks punitive damages. He's apparently an expert but yeah, according to the expert they interviewed, either reynal was bad at objecting compared to Pattis or Texas court culture was a little different to let mark be more dramatic.

Reynal is not a good lawyer. I've said this a number of times - Pattis is a piece of poo poo, but he's an actual civil litigator.

Reynal is a former federal prosecutor turned criminal defense attorney. On both sides of that aisle, he has a career of settling cases not trying them. Sure, he's been in front of a judge on both sides in the criminal world, but it is a completely different ball game than the civil fight. If you notice, every time Pattis objects, he gives a reason based upon the rules of evidence as to why he's objecting. The judge in Texas had to chew out Reynal multiple times to actually make proper objections, and he didn't have the experience/practice to know how.

Ironically, he was set originally to be trial counsel in both cases. Mattei would be schooling him the way Bankston's team in Texas did as well. Similarly, Pattis would have done a better job in Texas, although I'm not sure it would matter.

On another note, part of why Mark's presentation and questioning was to pull on juror heartstrings, which he did. Mattei doesn't need to get foreign jurors to sympathize. This is a CT jury. They've lived this poo poo whether they have any connection to Newtown or not. Mattei is breaking down just how much money Infowars made and that they deliberately amplified these lies to make more money. The jurors in TX said they had a hard time coming up with a compensatory number because Mark just didn't give them guidance. Mattei is making sure that the jury is well aware Jones has made hundreds of millions of dollars specifically lying about Sandy Hook.

JaneError posted:

Unless things are wildly more permissive in TX (which they very well could be) I suspect Norm could have successfully objected to some of Bankston’s questioning if he were running things there. There were definitely several moments that I found hilarious but that felt pretty extra and I remember being a bit surprised that Reynal wasn’t stepping in. I chalked it up to Reynal being completely out of his depth and, lovely as he is, Norm being better versed in the basic mechanics of this kind of trial.

This post is correct.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Agents are GO! posted:

Garlic. Extra garlic. Enough garlic that my cat wants nothing to do with me right now

Don't blame the garlic

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
The streams up https://youtu.be/r5CZzu_7Vng

This is in the description.

PLEASE NOTE: L&C has turned off the comments section on the Alex Jones stream due to threatening comments toward victims' families.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just the best people.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Today's Opening Arguments podcast also brought up this idea that the evil comments on the live stream could be submitted as evidence that people are still spreading the Sandy Hook lies to this day. Not sure if that would be allowed but every time I looked at it I would see something pretty grim.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
JONES HAS ARRIVED

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Alex jones is here and is making a "statement".

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Doing all the greatest hits. We've all heard this before. "Judge is a tyrant. Who ever heard of a case where I can't say I'm innocent? It was my right to question Sandy Hook. Jessie Smollet, WMDs in Iraq, Gulf of Tonkin. Bla bla bla."

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Some quotes

"it's a struggle session right out of communist china"
"this judge is a tyrant"
"this is the murder of american justice"

Piell fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 20, 2022

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Doubling down outside the courtroom is certainly a move.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Anyone got the link handy?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Outrail posted:

Anyone got the link handy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5CZzu_7Vng

Edit: clip of part of the Alex Jones statement
https://twitter.com/LanceRReynolds_/status/1572219652473749504

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

He's just the worst.

The only solace is that he is physically unable to stop digging

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

Sorry, did she just come in with a sign?

edit - on the livestream

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Reynal sighting, first time he's been here and I'm guessing because Jones is here?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Oh cool, that dipshit lawyer from last season is back

E

OneMoreTime posted:

Reynal sighting, first time he's been here and I'm guessing because Jones is here?

:argh:

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

A Good Username posted:

Sorry, did she just come in with a sign?

edit - on the livestream

Could be an exhibit

Also I got my new covid booster and pneumonia vaccines yesterday and feel like poop, but I do get to watch the trail on my tv today!

Also also why is Reynal in the house???

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Oh hey Reynal is there.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Law and Crime just switched focus and Reynal, Alex's lawyer from texas, is sitting in the courtroom

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I legit just Arsineo Hall whooped, we got Reynal

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

So Reynal is 100% going to get sued by Alex eventually, right?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

https://twitter.com/MoString/status/1572221330279505920?cxt=HHwWgIDRuYm-09ErAAAA

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Bankston was there for a couple days so maybe it isn't weird to take personal interest but I think Reynal might have been sitting in front of the bar?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
ahaha, alex jones saying he thinks everything is fake and was right. he just happened to be wrong about this one

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Jones ranting. Wonder what the judge will think of this

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc
Alex Jones just drove off, guess he just showed up to rant and promote his book

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I think that was from a previous clip?

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Apparently not

https://twitter.com/annamerlan/status/1572223735394074624

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012