Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

opengl posted:

He just left. He did check charge level, and power draw, all normal.

I did manage to get a picture of the power draw yesterday off my energy monitor when it was failing to start.

This is a successful start:

I'm also leaning towards intermittent electrical issue, but the guy they sent was pretty green and didn't seem comfortable with much more diagnosis. I showed him those pictures and he didn't have much to say, he's going to run it by the other guys tomorrow (I'm really hoping they have a greybeard on staff) and get back to me.

Eh, it's working and that was a a weekend callout, so I guess it's not the end of the world but still kinda crappy service. I do't know how accurate your power monitor is, but that really appear to indicate the issue and possibly even the scale of it. Why it's stopping rather than blowing a breaker is still a mystery and kinda leads me to think it's loose wiring but that's a total guess at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah my wife was fuming and really wanted to lay into to guy but they obviously sent whoever was free on a Sunday morning. We'll see where they take it from here I guess. Frustrating on both sides, but I've been in their shoes and I know it sucks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

opengl posted:

Yeah my wife was fuming and really wanted to lay into to guy but they obviously sent whoever was free on a Sunday morning. We'll see where they take it from here I guess. Frustrating on both sides, but I've been in their shoes and I know it sucks.

Yeah, the new guy is stuck working weekends because nobody else wants to and all he knows is how to add refrigerant and replace caps/contactors/fuses to get down units up again. Not really experienced enough to be doing intermittent (the hardest kind) of diagnosis. Kinda how that always works. Once that kid figure this all out he won't be working weekends anymore/will start his own shop.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Make sure whoever comes out with the bitter look in their eyes sees and hears that video. Power climbing to infinity is going to look like bad capacitor but if it meters out its something else. Sealed system compressors also generally shouldn't sound like they are hitting a blow off valve when they unload. It feels like it's compressing something incompressible (liquid? Gas with a... Clog?) and hitting a limit. Maybe it has a blowby function to let the pressure not destroy the compressor?

The last time I heard a noise like that was standing over a comically overblown race car.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Anza Borrego posted:

Garage door people in our area do 24/7 service, if you live somewhere moderately dense you can probably find the same. Just redid springs on ours, was like $800 I think

I finally got one of the 24/7 places to pick up the phone. They are coming by on Tuesday to fix. It's going to be $500.

:homebrew:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Make sure whoever comes out with the bitter look in their eyes sees and hears that video. Power climbing to infinity is going to look like bad capacitor but if it meters out its something else. Sealed system compressors also generally shouldn't sound like they are hitting a blow off valve when they unload. It feels like it's compressing something incompressible (liquid? Gas with a... Clog?) and hitting a limit. Maybe it has a blowby function to let the pressure not destroy the compressor?

The last time I heard a noise like that was standing over a comically overblown race car.

Yeah, that noise and the shutdown really sounds like something hitting the high limit switch. If a tech is out there when it's happening it would be good to put a meter on that and see if it's tripping.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

Yeah, that noise and the shutdown really sounds like something hitting the high limit switch. If a tech is out there when it's happening it would be good to put a meter on that and see if it's tripping.

That's my thinking too. My guess is it's a malfunctioning/clogged expansion valve that is only intermittently failing and causing the pressure to spike when the compressor starts. It would also explain the way higher than usual amp draw from the compressor. The compressor is basically stalling out until the overpressure switch kicks it off.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

That's my thinking too. My guess is it's a malfunctioning/clogged expansion valve that is only intermittently failing and causing the pressure to spike when the compressor starts. It would also explain the way higher than usual amp draw from the compressor. The compressor is basically stalling out until the overpressure switch kicks it off.

Clogged metering device would be real interesting. And likely totally their fault for not nitrogen purging properly when braising the line set.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well finally have functional AC again. Guess there's some conservation law where mine getting replaced means someone elses's breaks.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Clogged metering device would be real interesting. And likely totally their fault for not nitrogen purging properly when braising the line set.

It's OK though the dryer looks fine we can just reuse it. :v:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

It's OK though the dryer looks fine we can just reuse it. :v:

If it's that bad I'd be surprised if you couldn't feel a temp differential on either side of the dryer.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

It’s really weird because it’s been working fine for 6 months outside of these two incidents where it did this for a day, then worked fine the next day.

The only thing common to both occurrences is that it had been turned off for 2+ days prior. Last time it was because we were out of town for a week and this time because it’s finally been cooling off.

But I don’t know enough about HVAC to say what it being turned off for 48+ hours would change. When it works it has no issue at all restarting throughout the day or for the first time after being off for 8 hours or so.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

opengl posted:

It’s really weird because it’s been working fine for 6 months outside of these two incidents where it did this for a day, then worked fine the next day.

The only thing common to both occurrences is that it had been turned off for 2+ days prior. Last time it was because we were out of town for a week and this time because it’s finally been cooling off.

But I don’t know enough about HVAC to say what it being turned off for 48+ hours would change. When it works it has no issue at all restarting throughout the day or for the first time after being off for 8 hours or so.

You're incredibly lucky this is happening inside the "no seriously unfuck this" warranty period and not a year later. AC units get shut off for months in the winter and should start right back up when it warms up short of their capacitor drying out in the interim. If you can, don't run it for 2 days before the tech comes, but weather permitting. Your video should be all you need to maintain they repair this, even if they need to wait until it cools off a bit so you can leave it off for a few days before they come.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The best part about warranty repair is wondering to yourself every time the compressor switches on, "ok this broke within the warranty period, when nothing should every break.... what else did they half-rear end that will break in years 2-5

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008
I'd like to replace this thermostat with a new one, but... can't seem to figure out how to remove it from the wall? I've looked for screws (can't find any), tried to split it on a seam, and have pulled on it/sliding it up and down about as hard as I can without breaking it. My next plan is to stick a flathead screwdriver behind it and break it and damage my drywall (would rather not do that).

What am I missing? How do I crack the code of removing this correctly?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

gp2k posted:

I'd like to replace this thermostat with a new one, but... can't seem to figure out how to remove it from the wall? I've looked for screws (can't find any), tried to split it on a seam, and have pulled on it/sliding it up and down about as hard as I can without breaking it. My next plan is to stick a flathead screwdriver behind it and break it and damage my drywall (would rather not do that).

Is there a seam to take the cover off? There might be another layer that hides the screws, mine was similar before I replaced it with a NEST

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Have you looked online for a manual that might have install instructions? Or sometimes YouTube.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 19, 2022

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

The Dave posted:

Have you looked online for a manual that might have install instructions? Or sometimes YouTube.

Yes, I did that for about 2 hours before posting here. The official manual from the vendor (PDFs I found online) are crap and don't even really give good installation instructions. Youtube showed a model like mine that hinges up but mine is a little different and doesn't seem to hinge. Figured I'd admit defeat and come to the experts here!

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

Medullah posted:

Is there a seam to take the cover off? There might be another layer that hides the screws, mine was similar before I replaced it with a NEST

Hmmm, maybe. My plan is to wait a few weeks until the SoCal heat wave goes away and then try to split it open.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

gp2k posted:

If you're replacing it with a new one... Pull harder.

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

StormDrain posted:

If you're replacing it with a new one... Pull harder.

OK yes, but I don't know if my unit has a C wire or not, and was hoping to scope out the wires before ordering a new thermostat. So maybe I just wait a month or so until I won't need the AC anymore and do that then order.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

gp2k posted:

Based on this video it looks like you need to just yank it straight out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8bv-g2MROw

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Based on this video it looks like you need to just yank it straight out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8bv-g2MROw

Thank you very much!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah most thermostats are held in by friction clips. If the plastic doesn't further remove (try removing it from the right) then give it a yank. Squeeze it top and bottom like you're juicing an unripe avocado then pull out and up. There is likely a plastic base it's in that is screwed to the wall and has the wires screwed to it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I told ya!

gp2k
Apr 22, 2008

StormDrain posted:

I told ya!

I'm going to make a video of me pulling on this thing so hard I pull a 3 foot by 5 foot chunk of drywall off the wall and all the goons will laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Sigh. Good times!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

gp2k posted:

I'm going to make a video of me pulling on this thing so hard I pull a 3 foot by 5 foot chunk of drywall off the wall and all the goons will laugh, and laugh, and laugh. Sigh. Good times!

:pray:

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Contractors are here to cut an opening in the wall.

Hm. That's suspiciously modern trim for a house from 1910...

Why, is it because there was originally an opening in the wall, with beautiful, original pocket doors? And then the previous owner removed those amazing hardwood doors (instead of just sealing them up)? For some inexplicable reason? And then closed the wall?

The "good" news is that cutting this open doesn't involve doing anything with original plaster or lathe, and that the pocket door tracks are left so conceivably we could have them restored... and there's floor underneath the opening... but, gently caress, man.

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 20, 2022

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Agh it suuuucks that they did not abandon the doors in place.

One of my favorite claims involved finding, for the insured, that they had a pocket-door set buried in the wall. Doors were on the (overhead) track & worked fine, too. They were thrilled.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

Agh it suuuucks that they did not abandon the doors in place.

lol the contractors sold them. You know how this works.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

original heart of pine hardwood doors (an inch and a half thick, from the tracks) would fetch a pretty penny. the "good news" is we probably just added a bunch of value to the house (and more if I source original replacement doors one day) with very little effort, but, gently caress, man.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

This is perhaps a little much for yanking off a thermostat. :v:

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

H110Hawk posted:

Different poster!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

H110Hawk posted:

Pull. Harder.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Deviant posted:

Hourse Ownership: Pull. Harder.

Kefit
May 16, 2006
layl
The fridge at the townhouse I'm buying appears to be working fine, but the serial number indicates that it was manufactured in 2007. Should I be looking into replacing it? I'm not sure if 15 years is actually worryingly old for a fridge, but if it does fail then it's the kind of thing I'd need to replace asap with little regard for cost or preferences.

At first I was kind of excited by the thought of picking out my own fridge, since this is something I've never even thought about before despite being an appliance I interface with constantly. But it turns out that fridge slot in the kitchen is small enough (~29.5" wide fridge max) that my options are limited to the point of not being very exciting.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Kefit posted:

The fridge at the townhouse I'm buying appears to be working fine, but the serial number indicates that it was manufactured in 2007. Should I be looking into replacing it? I'm not sure if 15 years is actually worryingly old for a fridge, but if it does fail then it's the kind of thing I'd need to replace asap with little regard for cost or preferences.

At first I was kind of excited by the thought of picking out my own fridge, since this is something I've never even thought about before despite being an appliance I interface with constantly. But it turns out that fridge slot in the kitchen is small enough (~29.5" wide fridge max) that my options are limited to the point of not being very exciting.

Modern appliances have a low average life because of how many crap out between years 3 to 7. If it's 15 years old, it'll probably make it to 25, especially if it doesn't have any water line running to it.

Just make sure you're never $1,500 away from financial ruin so you can get a new fridge when it decides to croak overnight!

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Progress.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Upgrade posted:

Progress.

:ohdear: That is going to be a very inconveniently placed thermostat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

H110Hawk posted:

:ohdear: That is going to be a very inconveniently placed thermostat.

Why would you say that? It’s much more accessible now