Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
DLSS 3.0 appears to be exclusive to 4000-series (and future, presumably) cards. The only mention of Turing and Ampere in the new DLSS page on their site is:

quote:

Meanwhile, gamers on all GeForce RTX graphics cards can continue to enjoy NVIDIA DLSS Super Resolution, which massively boosts performance in 216 games and apps by using AI to output higher resolution frames from a lower resolution input.

I don't see companies bothering with both DLSS 2.0 and 3.0 profiles.

efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Omnicarus posted:

1080Ti, you've gotten me through the years so far please don't give up the ghost anytime soon. :ohdear:

Same. It's been doing really well

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

curried lamb of God posted:

For someone who hasn't kept up with graphics cards in ages, does Nvidia typically announce the lower tier cards (xx50/60/70) at a later date? I get that they would release later than the flagships, but I'm surprised that they didn't even merit a mention today

the RTX 3060 [non-Ti] was launched on Jan 12, 2021, some months after the RTX 3080, which launched on Sep 1, 2020

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Agreed posted:

My inclination is to say I would not buy that poo poo at gunpoint, gently caress DLSS 3.0 then

Why are you mad that they made a new product? It doesn’t make your current GPU worse and you don’t gotta buy it dude.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bloodplay it again posted:

I don't see companies bothering with both DLSS 2.0 and 3.0 profiles.

i would assume DLSS 3.0 integration is a superset of 2.0 (they'll still be doing the TAAU upscale in addition to frame interpolation) so 3.0 integrations should be able to gracefully fall back to 2.0

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I expect the 4090s will get discounted fast

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

wibble posted:

When is the remote control car game coming out! :(
but Re-Volt is already back on Steam!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Omnicarus posted:

1080Ti, you've gotten me through the years so far please don't give up the ghost anytime soon. :ohdear:
LMAO big :same:

With how they usually price their poo poo for Europe, a real 4080 is going to be $1500. gently caress off Jensen.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

orcane posted:

LMAO big :same:

With how they usually price their poo poo for Europe, a real 4080 is going to be $1500. gently caress off Jensen.

The 4090 is 1676 or so pounds so yeah the 4080 is gonna be stupid for Europe

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Cygni posted:

Why are you mad that they made a new product? It doesn’t make your current GPU worse and you don’t gotta buy it dude.

I don't see how a reply like this helps to do anything but rile up the person you're replying to more.

Anyway, see you 50 series.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I just noticed that they're charging $900 for a GPU with a 192-bit bus.

Wowza. That is a new low.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

repiv posted:

i would assume DLSS 3.0 integration is a superset of 2.0 (they'll still be doing the TAAU upscale in addition to frame interpolation) so 3.0 integrations should be able to gracefully fall back to 2.0

That's a fair point. Kinda like how if you're watching media with a dolby vision profile on a display without dv support, it can roll back to the HDR10 profile. I hadn't really considered that. I was thinking that 3.0 support would look for X hardware and since Ampere and older won't have it, it wouldn't even show up as an option.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

I just noticed that they're charging $900 for a GPU with a 192-bit bus.

Wowza. That is a new low.

Is there much difference between a 10G 320-bit bus and a 16G 256-bit bus for the 3080 v 4080

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bloodplay it again posted:

That's a fair point. Kinda like how if you're watching media with a dolby vision profile on a display without dv support, it can roll back to the HDR10 profile. I hadn't really considered that. I was thinking that 3.0 support would look for X hardware and since Ampere and older won't have it, it wouldn't even show up as an option.

i'll check the SDK when they release it, the sensible thing would be for the DLSS3 runtime to work on turing/ampere just without the new interpolation feature but we'll see

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

ijyt posted:

I don't see how a reply like this helps to do anything but rile up the person you're replying to more.

Anyway, see you 50 series.

For real, I don't know why dude cares so much that I am not in favor of this news. Why single me out anyway Cygni, you're spoiled for choice at people surprised by the overall announcement.

Rumors had the 4080 MSRP at $699-850 as recently as six days ago, I guess that was purely wishful thinking. To me the segmentation of the two 4080s reads more like 10GB 3080 vs 16GB 3090 from previous generation, with the top end 24GB card being more analogous to the 3090 TI.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

So what's the smart upgrade look like these days for someone still using a 1070?

I've got a 1440p monitor that I'd like to use with a new card. Before crypto poo poo everything up I'd been targeting a 3070, but was never willing to pay scalper prices.

edit: budget sub-$400, ideally, $450 if it's the difference between garbage and something good. I'm just not going to spend anything like what the 80 and 90 cards cost.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is that $900 for the neutered 4080 or the good one?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

KillHour posted:

It's for the 12GB, so not the good one

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

KillHour posted:

The former, 4080 starts there

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Cyrano4747 posted:

So what's the smart upgrade look like these days for someone still using a 1070?

I've got a 1440p monitor that I'd like to use with a new card. Before crypto poo poo everything up I'd been targeting a 3070, but was never willing to pay scalper prices.

edit: budget sub-$400, ideally, $450 if it's the difference between garbage and something good. I'm just not going to spend anything like what the 80 and 90 cards cost.

Get a 30 series card while they’re on fire sale.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What the actual gently caress

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
i hate how little attention nvenc is getting at these events. is it just gonna be av1 with otherwise similar performance/quality for h264 ...

Cyrano4747 posted:

i'm in literally the same situation, and i'm still not sure how much they'll actually end up selling. the glut of ampere cards is gonna be nuts combined with the energy crisis in europe

at the very least, wait and see what amd show us november 3.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Agreed posted:

For real, I don't know why dude cares so much that I am not in favor of this news. Why single me out anyway Cygni, you're spoiled for choice at people surprised by the overall announcement.

I replied to you once with two sentences, relax. Someone expresses similar sentiment most launches, and I just wanted to know if there was something specific that was making you upset about it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm catching up on this poo poo. I guess I'll be waiting until Summer 2023 at least. Because like I'm going to let NVidia gently caress me in the rear end with another memory bump down the line, like with the 3080 10GB.

Also, there's nothing special on the schedule. Starfield maybe, but I'm expecting this to be delayed another time, beyond "first half" of 2023.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

If I were buying today I'd aim for a 12GB 3080 I think.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

get a 3000-series card that you can afford - a 3060Ti represents a ~75% performance increase over your 1070 with a 400 dollar MSRP

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
So it’s still DisplayPort 1.4a after 80Gbps usb4 2.0 was announced.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ijyt posted:

Is there much difference between a 10G 320-bit bus and a 16G 256-bit bus for the 3080 v 4080

Big memory buses are really expensive, they are hard to design and use a ton of silicon space. GPU makers will do everything they can to avoid putting bigger buses on GPUs, like using GDDR6X which is also expensive and power hungry.

Total memory bandwidth is basically bus size * memory clock speed, so if you use faster memory you can use a smaller bus. You'll see that in every single GPU generation, usually price goes down significantly as you get to the smaller buses, whether they're 160b, 128b, or whatever size.

GPU makers are always looking for a way to get away with a smaller bus. Nvidia started using some type of compression with the 9xx generation, and AMD is now doing "Infinity Cache" which is basically a gigantic cache that means you don't have to go to memory as often.

The last huge bus GPU that I remember was the 512-bit R9 290/290X, which was a monster that lasted a really long time and performed well for ages.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Calm down ffs. Existing 30 series and even below are well prepared to handle current titles, pushed to the capability of current display tech. You're probably a whale or high level enthusiast if you are eying high refresh 4k anyway and who cares if you drop a couple grand on your hobby? What if you were into restoring cars or some poo poo? Not to mention those earning money back through streaming and such.

You're not obligated to buy. There are plenty of options out there for every budget

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
100$ increase over the 3090 to the 4090 isn't too scary... oof gonna be over 1700$ after tax though

Jensen is a smooth salesman gotta give him that.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Skip down to the feature list, and

The columns are 40 series / 30 series / 20 series. So no listed change at all between Lovelace/Ampere with respect to HDMI or Displayport feature support. Did we know that already?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Calm down ffs. Existing 30 series and even below are well prepared to handle current titles, pushed to the capability of current display tech. You're probably a whale or high level enthusiast if you are eying high refresh 4k anyway and who cares if you drop a couple grand on your hobby? What if you were into restoring cars or some poo poo? Not to mention those earning money back through streaming and such.

You're not obligated to buy. There are plenty of options out there for every budget
Yes Daddy Jensen.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

codo27 posted:

Are there? What's the $200-300 nvidia option?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I'm trying to chill tf out here and think. Ok:

3080 10GB had 82% as many CUDA cores as the 3090 16GB.

4080 12GB has 78% as many CUDA cores as the 4080 16GB.

I think what's going on here is they're rejiggering the product tiers somewhat, although in doing so I feel they're being kinda miserly with VRAM.

There was not an analogous "holy poo poo that's a fuckload more cores" product as the 4090, where the product below it has only 59% as many CUDA cores. The only step above the 3080 10GB at Ampere's launch was the 3090 and it had 18% more, not 41% more. That's a lot closer to the difference between the two 4080s. While $900 is fifty bucks higher than the high estimates in rumors, that's less egregious than my initial reaction - 3090 launch MSRP was $1500, so getting that analogous product (that is, the 4080 16GB) is actually lower MSRP than before. Though, you'd think there would be a VRAM upgrade generation to generation. And the MSRP for the big daddy, while high, at least comes along with a likely very large increase in processing power with that massive CUDA count.

Cygni posted:

I replied to you once with two sentences, relax. Someone expresses similar sentiment most launches, and I just wanted to know if there was something specific that was making you upset about it.

My brother I am high strung, and I was hoping to pay $800 for a 16GB card, that's the whole story

Agreed fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 20, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/portal-with-rtx-ray-tracing/

some clarity on what RTX Remix actually is - it's a fork of DXVK which intercepts DX8 and DX9 calls, and redirects them to a fancy modern renderer, with hooks to let you replace assets, add lights, etc

so only old games need apply but it should be widely applicable

authoring a remix requires an RTX GPU, but a packaged remix mod should work on any card that supports vulkan raytracing

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 20, 2022

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

the 4080 branding is dumb as gently caress. the 12gb version has less compute cores, too. it’s a 4070 not a 4080

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Are DLSS and its competitors pretty kick-rear end for increasing resolution and framerate (consistency) for VR? Or is the latency penalty enough to make it not worthwhile?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

pmchem posted:

the 4080 branding is dumb as gently caress. the 12gb version has less compute cores, too. it’s a 4070 not a 4080

It's the 1060 3gb and 6gb all over again.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

codo27 posted:

People can still mock the whack rear end poo poo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

repiv posted:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/portal-with-rtx-ray-tracing/

some clarity on what RTX Remix actually is - it's a fork of DXVK which intercepts DX8 and DX9 calls, and redirects them to a fancy modern renderer, with hooks to let you replace assets, add lights, etc

so only old games need apply but it should be widely applicable

authoring a remix requires an RTX GPU, but a packaged remix mod should work on any card that supports vulkan raytracing

Oh man, time to spit shine Dishonored