Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

fourwood posted:

Baby just hit 1, feeling this real hard. Mega “I’ll never have time for interview prep again” feels.

Coming up on 2 years here. Once they can walk and open drawers, lol, hope you got everything done at work that day, you're not getting anything done until they go to bed and by then you're exhausted

I have a lot, lot more respect for single moms now

Maybe I should go interview at a bank and take that 30% pay cut for a couple of years

That chill period from ~4mo- ~9mo, you're not getting that ever again untill much much later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Good Will Hrunting posted:

It would be sick if grinding LeetCode again wasn't the only way to clear three hundo stacks with ease, anyone wanna tell me how to do that lol

If this is your first job, you only need to ace that one interview. Then, it's easy street.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
lol what no way, I'm on my third job and talking to recruiters about Staff roles and the process still involves LeetCode at big companies

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Did not really have to interview at all with my latest job. Just a friendly chat.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If my job is any indication, you'll disarm most people and be let right in if you tell them how many kids you have, how old they are, and that you like hiking.

What if the number of kids is 0 and the amount I like hiking is "not very much at all"

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Unemployment check line is thataway ---->

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Hadlock posted:

Unemployment check line is thataway ---->

I have a dog, that usually plays well at startups

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

prom candy posted:

What if the number of kids is 0 and the amount I like hiking is "not very much at all"

On your intro slide for stuff, post a picture with your nephews and nieces, and post a picture you took of the side of the road.

A few weeks ago, I had to introduce myself in a group and give the typical thing I do for fun. I mentioned O teached Aikido. After some pause, the chairperson asked, "That's nice Rocko, but ... did you mention what you do for fun?"

Like, that was a funny joke but he didn't mean it that way. So I literally said, "Sometimes I go outside and touch grass too," got some chuckles, and he felt satisfied enough with my intro.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Woah, there is a lot of a certain demographic around here as I as well have a 2.5 year old. I hadn't really done much hiking in the past 20 years but now we are out and about all the time because there is no better way to simultaneously fascinate and exhaust a toddler than going on nature walks.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Wish I didn't live in a Midwestern urban dystopia, as that sounds great.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

gbut posted:

Wish I didn't live in a Midwestern urban dystopia, as that sounds great.

Join the rural remote coders! This is the new way.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Most people joined the forums pre 2008 in their 20s and as we age we're all sort of doing the early childhood stage of life. There's two threads, a pregnancy thread, and a very active parenting thread with a lot of parents of 1-4 year olds in there, highly recommend

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Starting to understand the perspective of people who went into management, then noped right the gently caress out back to IC, particularly if you're married

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Hadlock posted:

Most people joined the forums pre 2008 in their 20s and as we age we're all sort of doing the early childhood stage of life. There's two threads, a pregnancy thread, and a very active parenting thread with a lot of parents of 1-4 year olds in there, highly recommend
What forum are all these in?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Starting to understand the perspective of people who went into management, then noped right the gently caress out back to IC, particularly if you're married

Hi this was me, also with newborn twins. You experiencing this?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Hadlock posted:

My experience with the switch to management is that it isn't any more or worse poo poo than IC. Just different poo poo.

No kids though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Steve French posted:

Hi this was me, also with newborn twins. You experiencing this?

No I have not felt the desire to buy a rusty Volkswagen yet, will keep you updated tho

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sorry that was unnecessary, I am extra salty today

Here is the pregnancy thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390558

Here is the parenting thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508127

There's also a "getting pregnant thread" but I don't have it bookmarked

If you're not in ask/tell and as the doomsday economics thread calls it "the landlord subforum", BFC you're missing out on a massive amount of value-add to you forums :10bux: membership

Salary negotiation thread is worth $10k (not a typo) just glancing at the last 10 pages of posts alone, on any given day

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 17, 2022

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Hadlock posted:

Sorry that was unnecessary, I am extra salty today

Here is the pregnancy thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3390558

Here is the parenting thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508127

There's also a "getting pregnant thread" but I don't have it bookmarked

If you're not in ask/tell and as the doomsday economics thread calls it "the landlord subforum", BFC you're missing out on a massive amount of value-add to you forums :10bux: membership

Salary negotiation thread is worth $10k (not a typo) just glancing at the last 10 pages of posts alone, on any given day
:tipshat: Ahhh A/T, for some reason didn’t think to look there. Thanks.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

leper khan posted:

My experience with the switch to management is that it isn't any more or worse poo poo than IC. Just different poo poo.

It depends on where you are and who you report to. Front line management can be the absolutely worst position in a company. I worked for one of those places/directors.

All the responsibility for budgeting but you don't get one. You make one out of thin air and then beg for it only to get a portion of it. Yet your teams work output is assigned to you and even though it requires budget and more people and you were just denied both you are still expected to produce. Also, you get a fixed amount for comp changes which is never enough and are stuck explaining that to your reports. As well as why you haven't hired anyone else yet. And you're fielding all of the people form outside the team's increasingly angry interactions demanding their thing gets worked on first.

Or I guess you could work in that same place and just kick all that poo poo down to your reports and do nothing.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Hadlock posted:

Yes hi this was one of the best decisions of my career so far

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
big adverse selection effect on that i imagine, where all the dog poo poo management jobs are open as the day is long

George Wright
Nov 20, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I’ve had two separate management experiences at two separate companies. The first team I led I was hired in as a manager and… it wasn’t great. Lots of personality issues and upper management never gave me the support or power to enact much change. I pretty quickly understood why the last manager had left.

The second company was much different. I had worked there a few years already so I knew the team I was taking over. It was a great experience but there still wasn’t a ton of support from the company. The only reason it was great was because how solid and reliable the team members were.

That said, I still went back to IC the first chance I got. I learned I can manage pretty well, but I just don’t enjoy it all that much. I just don’t think the management track is always set up for success at companies.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hadlock posted:

What about people who are not married and never intend to go into management? Does that make it a speedrun strat? :v:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I'm in management and I just got married, should I be worried?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ensign Expendable posted:

I'm in management and I just got married, should I be worried?

Depends on how much stress the job creates and if you bring that work stress home with you when you close the laptop lid

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Hadlock posted:

Depends on how much stress the job creates and if you bring that work stress home with you when you close the laptop lid

Got to lead by example. Machine off at quit time. Machine open at start time. An hour buffer on each end for phone alerts only to be able to quickly tell people you'll get to it tomorrow/after breakfast.

Anything bad enough to be more than that outside hours is bad enough to call directly and trigger an on-call incident.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I feel like I might need a career tune up. I'm in a good situation now, I run an embedded team at a small part of a very large company. I'm a bit underpaid and over worked, but I have no kids so I still do pretty well. The core issue is I've sent out a couple of resumes and heard nothing back. I'm not sure what's wrong but here are a few options:
- Wrong technologies. I've been mainly doing embedded C on bare metal. I'm getting more into FreeRTOS, is that a brighter future? maybe other places are just all C++? Or maybe there's another key word I'm just not hitting? Or maybe embedded is just a lower pay range?
- Too broad. I've done pretty much everything from FPGA design to Cloud work, managing personnel, projects, proposals.
- No social media. I don't have anything interesting in my GitHub. Haven't really update my LinkedIn in a while. I don't facebook or tweet. I also don't have a big network in the area I want to work (Embedded in/from Boston).
- Only small companies? Maybe I'm just too old to get into some of the large companies?
- Other options beyond LinkedIn?

I may also be a bit picky because my current situation is relatively good, and I look at other jobs and they just sound boring. I have a lot of freedom in my job and a lot of different areas I can work in, but I see salaries mentioned here and they sound quite exciting. I'm making around 200k tc.

Any thoughts on how to get a better response?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

StumblyWumbly posted:

I feel like I might need a career tune up. I'm in a good situation now, I run an embedded team at a small part of a very large company. I'm a bit underpaid and over worked, but I have no kids so I still do pretty well. The core issue is I've sent out a couple of resumes and heard nothing back. I'm not sure what's wrong but here are a few options:
- Wrong technologies. I've been mainly doing embedded C on bare metal. I'm getting more into FreeRTOS, is that a brighter future? maybe other places are just all C++? Or maybe there's another key word I'm just not hitting? Or maybe embedded is just a lower pay range?
- Too broad. I've done pretty much everything from FPGA design to Cloud work, managing personnel, projects, proposals.
- No social media. I don't have anything interesting in my GitHub. Haven't really update my LinkedIn in a while. I don't facebook or tweet. I also don't have a big network in the area I want to work (Embedded in/from Boston).
- Only small companies? Maybe I'm just too old to get into some of the large companies?

I may also be a bit picky because my current situation is relatively good, and I look at other jobs and they just sound boring. I have a lot of freedom in my job and a lot of different areas I can work in, but I see salaries mentioned here and they sound quite exciting. I'm making around 200k tc.

Any thoughts on how to get a better response?

Leave MA if you're chasing comp

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

leper khan posted:

Remote I could do, but remote HW dev is doable but less common.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StumblyWumbly posted:

I also don't have a big network in the area I want to work

This seems like the biggest issue.

Getting jobs is not a meritocracy.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

StumblyWumbly posted:

Remote I could do, but remote HW dev is doable but less common.

If TC is a primary objective, I’ve seen tech companies hire remote embedded and they just ship out the HW, and being around Boston means you probably won’t have to take a COL hit.

I got into tech as a TPM and the only thing I think that put me over the line to talk to a human is i was referred to my position, which I asked for after being part of an industry discord I found on teamblind.

Crazyweasel fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 20, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

leper khan posted:

:laffo: because housing prices here sure as poo poo aren’t aware of this.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Thanks, I'll try reaching out more to the network I have

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

StumblyWumbly posted:

Thanks, I'll try reaching out more to the network I have

Definitely brush up your LinkedIn, turn on open for work, and try to build out your network. Im not sure how much impact a 100% brushed up profile had, but I tried to follow at least the picture-title-summary-job description guidance of a random YouTuber I found (https://youtube.com/c/JeffSu) and it at least probably helps me show up in searches and made my skills and experience more accessible.

I see a lot of past colleagues post about openings and offer referrals, and the occasional recruiter hits me up, so I think this is probably the highest impact move you could make.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
This is all from the perspective of an embedded team lead and hiring manager at a startup on its third major product.

StumblyWumbly posted:

This is probably part of it, especially if you’re trying to avoid the boring kind of embedded. With cortex m taking off, there’s the space for new designs to take advantage of this kind of tooling to add flexibility. Places locked in to C and bare metal are probably boring (absolute penny shaving low cost, hard locked into MISRA, hard locked into mil supply chain limitations, etc). That lack of C++ and freertos - or, well, any RTOS, they’re all the basic same - would (and has, in the past) make me pass. I’d be worried too about implicit followons like lack of buyin to unit testing and so on.

Unfortunately, especially for a mid-career dev, I’m only really going to count “shipped a product using it” for core needs like c++, rtos experience, or testing experience. I’m looking for someone like that to be able to come in and teach juniors basics while they learn the domain. A toy GitHub blinkenlights project isn’t going to do much for me unless it’s really impressive and you can show that you’ve used it a lot.

StumblyWumbly posted:

This seems fine to me and a real asset, especially if you’re looking at smaller companies (although idk if they’ll be able to hit that TC as startups, especially hardware startups with more of their capital going to r&d fixed costs and COGS).

StumblyWumbly posted:

I can’t imagine anybody caring about this, aside from the LinkedIn thing. Make sure the work experience there is up to date. Same rule as a resume - it’s your first touch point, it should be spruced up and braggadocious. Don’t need like posts and stuff tho

StumblyWumbly posted:

Kind of seems like ageism would be more of a problem at small companies than large ones but I have no experience with that side of the coin.

IMO spruce up the resume and LinkedIn, take a couple months to see if it helps, and if it doesn’t maybe take a browse of open positions you like, find things they want that you don’t have, and then take a long view and find a place that can let you ship a product with those things even if it’s a slight comp hit so you can pivot from there to the job you really want.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Out of curiosity, what sort of jobs do c++ programmers go after if they’re chasing TC?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

Out of curiosity, what sort of jobs do c++ programmers go after if they’re chasing TC?

Facebook

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Good to know, thanks! I expected them to be all full-stack webdev.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

C++ webdev sounds so gross.