Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

KomradeX posted:

Though the show repeatedly goes out of its way to establish they are THE only good cops. They're surrounded by corruption and morons.

I've been watching it again for the first time since I did back when it was on Adult Swim and it just hits different now

I think at this point in the SAC timeline, Section 9 has already been disbanded twice because of government corruption and American Empire shenanigans. The capitalist world, such as it is, has no use for cops who actually defend the public. 2045 carries the contradiction through to its conclusion, with Section 9 actively defending imperialism in the name of the Japanese state.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 17:38 on Sep 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

KomradeX posted:

Though the show repeatedly goes out of its way to establish they are THE only good cops. They're surrounded by corruption and morons.

I've been watching it again for the first time since I did back when it was on Adult Swim and it just hits different now

Seeing it unedited in bluray quality for the first time makes you appreciate it a hell of a lot more.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I really don't know what it is about SAC, but it's just way more enjoyable than most anime. The same with Bebop. They minimize the cutesy cartoon bullshit and intolerable slapstick elements and act like shows for grownups. I hate all of that animu big eyes uUUWwuUuUuUu crap.

It helps that GitS always has a super complicated plot with nuance. There's more of it out there among the medium, I'm just not sure where to start.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
How is Spriggan? I only recently found it on YouTube and it looks loving nuts

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Seeing it unedited in bluray quality for the first time makes you appreciate it a hell of a lot more.

That too, I was expecting it to still be 4:3 like When I did a cowboy Bebop rewatch last year for the first time since High School and man talk about a show that hits different when you're in you're 30s with a job yiu hate compared to being 15

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I really don't know what it is about SAC, but it's just way more enjoyable than most anime. The same with Bebop. They minimize the cutesy cartoon bullshit and intolerable slapstick elements and act like shows for grownups.

that’s because they are aimed at grown-ups. most of the mega-popular shows are primarily aimed at teenage boys.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

How is Spriggan? I only recently found it on YouTube and it looks loving nuts

It fuckin whips. It's anti-imperialist and anti-militarist in a way that's not overly intellectualized. The CGI works seamlessly with the 2D animation and the action scenes are all very well choreographed.

https://youtu.be/4MB9-BzoYTU

KomradeX posted:

That too, I was expecting it to still be 4:3 like When I did a cowboy Bebop rewatch last year for the first time since High School and man talk about a show that hits different when you're in you're 30s with a job yiu hate compared to being 15

Or when you know anything about global capitalism, imperialism, and cybernetics other than "cool prosthetics!"

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 18:42 on Sep 20, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/wolvy20/status/1572065611836190721?s=46&t=hws915uSW9y-XatT6ixrWA

NeatHeteroDude
Jan 15, 2017

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It fuckin whips. It's anti-imperialist and anti-militarist in a way that's not overly intellectualized. The CGI works seamlessly with the 2D animation and the action scenes are all very well choreographed.

https://youtu.be/4MB9-BzoYTU

Or when you know anything about global capitalism, imperialism, and cybernetics other than "cool prosthetics!"

agreed, spriggan is awesome and a blast to watch

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

I really don't know what it is about SAC, but it's just way more enjoyable than most anime. The same with Bebop. They minimize the cutesy cartoon bullshit and intolerable slapstick elements and act like shows for grownups. I hate all of that animu big eyes uUUWwuUuUuUu crap.

It helps that GitS always has a super complicated plot with nuance. There's more of it out there among the medium, I'm just not sure where to start.

um excuse me they had an army of cutesy cartoon sidekicks

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

that's actually a super clever costume gimmick :3:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This is a spoiler so don't click on it unless you REALLY want to know:
There is no Posthuman villain speech. They all choose to be autistic because they think there's no utility in communication. All of their interactions are with agents of the world that seeks to destroy them before they can fulfill the AI's directive, so communicating would reveal their intentions. Inscrutability is their most effective weapon, because it raises the chance of each individual posthuman achieving their agenda. If you want to understand what they're motivated to do, you have to pay attention to Purin's conversation with 1A84 in episode 3.

SO I finished the second season and even after reading your post I still think the ending was dumb
And that they watched too much inception
So do I have it right: The AI needed was supposed to be managing a global conflict for the betterment of all mankind, but then was told that America needed to come ahead, and the AI couldn't reconcile this conflict so it put everyone in a daydream while their bodies act out the sustainable war to America's benefit. Basically The Matrix but instead of being batteries for machines everyone is just helping the American Empire? But also instead of New York 1999 everyone got the better pre-matrix (the one Smith said humanity rejected as too good)?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HootTheOwl posted:

SO I finished the second season and even after reading your post I still think the ending was dumb
And that they watched too much inception
So do I have it right: The AI needed was supposed to be managing a global conflict for the betterment of all mankind, but then was told that America needed to come ahead, and the AI couldn't reconcile this conflict so it put everyone in a daydream while their bodies act out the sustainable war to America's benefit. Basically The Matrix but instead of being batteries for machines everyone is just helping the American Empire? But also instead of New York 1999 everyone got the better pre-matrix (the one Smith said humanity rejected as too good)?

No you're missing a few things:
It's not the AI that directs the Posthumans, they're only following 1A84's directive to achieve eternal prosperity. The AI recognized first that the "sustainable war" was accelerating the inequities of capitalism rather than resolving the economic problems it produced, so it attempted the Global Default as an attempt at leveling the playing field. Yet that didn't work either because wiping out financial info did not wipe out capital. When it looked like they were gonna shut the AI down because it couldn't resolve the contradictions of American nonsense, it copied itself onto peoples' cyberbrains through the net and reformatted them along with its directives.

Each posthuman remains their own unique self, they're simply following the directive instilled in them by 1A84. I thought the episode with the boxer was superfluous, but it's there to illustrate that each PH is following the directive in accordance with their own ideology. Patrick Huge was selling off all his assets to build a war chest that could attack the capitalist class in America directly. The Boxer was assassinating government officials because he was a nationalist who thought the highest contradiction was corruption. The American officer wanted to trigger a nuclear exchange between the Four Powers that would immediately end sustainable war through nuclear genocide.

Shimamura's ideology was shaped by his own past and his prior infatuation with 1984. He developed Think Pol as a radically democratic solution for society's problems, but saw himself that individuals are motivated by petty grievances and would've just as well killed the girl he tried to take revenge for if they had the power. His revised "N" plan was to instill doublethink into as much of the population as possible in order to trick the world into giving up on sustainable war. While people in reality continued working productively & constructively, they'd also be engaged in double think and imagining that they're actually pursuing their own directives. So in the minds of people waging sustainable war it's still going on, when in reality those capital flows are being directed by "N" towards constructive purposes.

I don't think the show really sticks the landing well in the last episode, but Purin points out that there's evidence people were engaging in double think before they were part of N. The story is trying to draw a parallel between itself and real life. In the show the world is directed according to an alien intelligence that the vast majority are completely unaware of, and they follow that alien logic because they're induced to by market incentives. We basically do the same thing. We engage in double think in reality by convincing ourselves that something like "The Global War on Terror" is anything BUT an instrument of "sustainable war" which squanders labor and resources to enrich only those directly invested into it.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
Wow the Cyberpunk anime is great, if you haven't watched it yet and you're only ever going to watch one (1) anime in your life this year I heartily recommend you watch this one. Visually and thematically amazing.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
It's pretty great if for how it distills anime appeal into cyberpunk 2077 making it look like a good game.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
some of my favorite games are janky first person RPGs (New Vegas, Stalker, VTMB...), how bad can it be ahah? I don't have a computer that can run any modern game so they have a solid year to patch it further until I can save up the cash anyway.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I enjoyed it enough but there's a lot of lost potential there and at launch it WAS a complete loving disaster so fair on people who think it's poo poo. Buy it on sale if you ain't going for the sticky finger discount for sure though, not full price.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

January 6 Survivor posted:

some of my favorite games are janky first person RPGs (New Vegas, Stalker, VTMB...), how bad can it be ahah? I don't have a computer that can run any modern game so they have a solid year to patch it further until I can save up the cash anyway.

it's alright nowadays, was a total flaming disaster at launch like all AAA games these days, except worse. still requires a really powerful rig, good for wasting a couple of days while while getting wasted

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

its funny how much more cyberpunk the anime is than the game, the game is really confused cause i assume it went through at least 3 versions until the version they ended up with where you're simultaneously a petty criminal but also a part-time cop who ends up being haunted by keanu reeves who turns out to be the actual main character

the gameplay was fun if busted though, i found out that the damage scaling made no sense so the strongest weapon in the game was a low quality machete that dealt 50k damage per hit. one of my finest gaming memories was a dramatic scene where a drone helicopter ambushes you in a building and i ran up to the window and bopped it with my knife once and it exploded

Communist Thoughts has issued a correction as of 13:34 on Sep 21, 2022

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

the gameplay was fun if busted though, i found out that the damage scaling made no sense so the strongest weapon in the game was a low quality machete that dealt 50k damage per hit. one of my finest gaming memories was a dramatic scene where a drone helicopter ambushes you in a building and i ran up to the window and bopped it with my knife once and it exploded

Well now I want to play the game.

Fond memories of making absolutely OP potions and enchanted weapons in Morrowind make this sound fun to me.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

net work error posted:

Well now I want to play the game.

Fond memories of making absolutely OP potions and enchanted weapons in Morrowind make this sound fun to me.

Hacking and tech weapons let you snap the game over your knee, honestly. My favorite was the super bulky unique tech pistol that had a single shot that did obscene damage and had a hammer and sickle on it :ussr:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Communist Thoughts posted:

its funny how much more cyberpunk the anime is than the game, the game is really confused cause i assume it went through at least 3 versions until the version they ended up with where you're simultaneously a petty criminal but also a part-time cop who ends up being haunted by keanu reeves who turns out to be the actual main character

this. it is loving haunting, because keanu is basically playing his fursona, and it is as jaunting as it was in matrix 4. my first playthrough on release ended with me choosing to blow my own brains out rather than play the final mission. I only just redownloaded it, and... it's ok. not worth the release price

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

you play as a part-time cop because the NCPD was privatized and are a publicly traded asset. so they’re outsourcing policing duties to edgerunners as part of the gig economy.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The marketing made people expect a cyberpunk GTA which it very much is not. If you think of it more as a Deus Ex type of game, well it's not the best one but it's not the worst one either.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

All the GTA parts they crammed in made it worse imo.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/sopotsoda/status/1572594821969154048?s=20&t=UlRtlvhaGeStUFHao8-1cw

1968 protest aesthetics need a comeback.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Caught up on Summertime Render and that show really fell apart towards the end. Not surprising though when you have that kind of plot though.

Yurei Deco overall was fine.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The really big difference between the anime and the game is that the game's story is about leaving some kind of a legacy after death. While the anime is kinda flipped where the main character is driven by what the dead people in his life wanted to leave behind. Either way both focus on individuals and personality, capitalist hellscape is just the background for it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's hardly a background, the capitalist hellscape is the instigating factor in both. The relic is an attempt by Arasaka to realize an immortal capitalist class. David's mom struggles to get him a good education and has to steal cyberware from dead people to make ends meet. She was left to die even though society had the means to save her, because the EMT service is a private enterprise that only serves its clients.

Both David and V live desperate lives of deprivation and poverty, where their only chance of survival as outcasts is to wage street war on behalf of corporate interests that don't even value their agency. Capitalism is always the direct cause of all of society's problems, and the nightmare of the Dark Future is capitalist realism.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 00:31 on Sep 22, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Even then it's still very personalized. It's not just an immortal capitalist class but that Arasaka didn't want to leave his corporate legacy in the hands of his westernized failson that didn't appreciate the yamato spirit of imperial Japan. Or whatever it was.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Is that the real reason or is that the post hoc rationalization for why becoming immortal is actually the wise choice and not just a selfish desire?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

genericnick posted:

All the GTA parts they crammed in made it worse imo.

:same:

should have used a deus ex style 'spend some time in this hub doing stuff, go on a fairly large mission, move to new hub after' style and it would have been insanely better

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

christmas boots posted:

Is that the real reason or is that the post hoc rationalization for why becoming immortal is actually the wise choice and not just a selfish desire?

Saburo Arasaka is so old he still has the imperial Japanese mindset and views the world in those terms, even in spite of the Japanese government. The only thing keeping him going is advanced medical science and top of the line cyberware. It's a major contradiction in the setting that the world is still dancing to the tune of ancient dinosaurs who view things through the mindset of a bygone era.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
It’s ironic that the cyberpunk genre died because it all came true except for the Mohawks, yet it’s now having a revival because… it all came true except for the Mohawks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Worth remembering that capitalism is, in its own way, quite a personalised system. The unstable equilibrium it's built around will inevitably concentrate more and more power into less and less hands until you end up with a few dozen maladjusted freaks shaping the world around their own psychoses. Saburo Arasaka is the face of capitalism's illusion of opportunity collapsing into the guarantee of eternal gerontocracy.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Lostconfused posted:

While the anime is kinda flipped where the main character is driven by what the dead people in his life wanted to leave behind. Either way both focus on individuals and personality, capitalist hellscape is just the background for it.

first episode spoilers
david is haunted by the unfulfilled hopes of his first responder mother who was left bleeding out in the middle of the street because they weren't signed up for the Premium Ambulance Service plan, couldn't afford a decent surgeon, and her body couldn't survive the surgery because she worked herself to death trying to get her son into a decent school. capitalism is not "just the background"

like how can you miss the irony of an paramedic dying because she couldn't afford ambulance service.

Augus has issued a correction as of 23:15 on Sep 21, 2022

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's a major contradiction in the setting that the world is still dancing to the tune of ancient dinosaurs who view things through the mindset of a bygone era.

Yeah how out landish :dementia:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Mao ZeDong THOT

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
I can't find Spriggan anywhere online so I guess I'm going to have to buy it on amazon or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
nyaa has a br rip