Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Any indication whether it's artificially being restricted to Ada?

Nvidia is claiming it depends on:

quote:

New Optical Flow Accelerator
NVIDIA DLSS 3’s Frame Generation technology is powered by Ada’s new Optical Flow Accelerator, which feeds pixel motion data from subsequent frames to the DLSS neural network, generating new frames on the GPU, ensuring performance accelerates even in CPU-bound scenarios.

That and shader execution reordering feel like things that might help RT performance a lot in cards lower in the stack but we won’t find that out for a while.

Mobile safari doesn’t want to pull the block diagrams out for whatever reason but DLSS2 vs DLSS3 are on this page: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/dlss3-ai-powered-neural-graphics-innovations/

Note that they’re implying this is a new “accelerator”, it may “just” be the same thing already in previous RTX GPUs.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I wonder how Ada Lovelace and Grace Hopper would feel about their names being turned into GPU marketing. At least Kepler and Pascal have been dead 400 years

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
3090 fe is a perfectly fine purchase, and unless you need av1 encoding and potential hypothetical future raytracing performance in games that currently don't exist, just hold on to it

unless you're trying to game the used market and want to cover a certain % of a future purchase by selling now

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Hey now, AMD's graphics dept is good now. If AMD improves their ray tracing and prices their cards well, then I think they have a serious opportunity to expand their market share.

Yeah, right now id buy a 6800xt over a 3070 or 3080 and chances are Ill buy a 7800xt over a 4070 or 4080

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

FuturePastNow posted:

I wonder how Ada Lovelace and Grace Hopper would feel about their names being turned into GPU marketing. At least Kepler and Pascal have been dead 400 years
i rolled my eyes so hard when they showed a midjourney ai portrait of ada lovelace at the presentation. literally worse than the 3d box art babes from twenty years ago

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

FuturePastNow posted:

i wonder if they had to pay off grace hoppers estate to use her name and image like that, with her dying relatively recently

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't give it much time before someone hacks in DLSS3 support for Turing and Ampere GPUs somehow if it turns out that Lovelace really doesn't have any special hardware required for it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it wouldn't surprise me

even if lovelace does have a better optical flow engine, that doesn't stop them offering a compromised version for the older hardware

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

repiv posted:

it wouldn't surprise me

even if lovelace does have a better optical flow engine, that doesn't stop them offering a compromised version for the older hardware

But then how do you sell the new stuff?

I also could see a pretty complicated balance of how to use this hardware for upscaling vs frame interpolation, and the associated compute costs of each.

Did they explicitly say that the DLSS frame interpolation is also rendering at a lower render res?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wonder how it ends up feeling. Will something be off about playing with extra “fake” frames.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Apparently there is a separate architecture NDA sometime over the next few weeks that might help answer some of these questions, but I was really surprised to see the big increase in tensor cores in the new arch, as I thought the consensus was that they really aren't used in the gaming side. Wonder if they are vestigial from AD102's double duty as a pro market AI accelerator, or if maybe Nvidia has found a better use for the hardware? Or maybe they need the spacing for thermal density anyway? Seems like a lot of diespace to not be used on a relatively expensive per-wafer process.

(Just spitballing here)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

But then how do you sell the new stuff?

I also could see a pretty complicated balance of how to use this hardware for upscaling vs frame interpolation, and the associated compute costs of each.

Did they explicitly say that the DLSS frame interpolation is also rendering at a lower render res?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Rinkles posted:

Wonder how it ends up feeling. Will something be off about playing with extra “fake” frames.
i'm sure people prone to motion sickness are delighted to serve as guinea pigs

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

yeah that's where the 1:8 shading rate number came from

1:4 from resolution scaling, then only rendering every other frame

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 20, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

at low framerates like 30->60 it probably won't feel great

nvidia seems to be focusing on 60->120 as the baseline

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Hey now, AMD's graphics dept is good now. If AMD improves their ray tracing and prices their cards well, then I think they have a serious opportunity to expand their market share.

I think amds big issue is competing against itself for fab space. If you are selling all the Zen cores you can churn out there is no reason make a bunch of big rear end gpus that probably make less profit per mm2 of a disk.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Assholes are gonna scalp the 4090 for like 2500$ so 1599$ retail is a relative bargain right?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Intel save us, pls.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

infraboy posted:

Assholes are gonna scalp the 4090 for like 2500$ so 1599$ retail is a relative bargain right?

It really depends on how much supply there will be. scalping requires demand to be higher than supply to work, and I don't think scalpers are capable of having a long-term impact on the market without crypto mining ballooning demand to unprecedented levels. scalpers might scalp the initial demand wave, but after that things will be normal, and I suspect prices will remain fluid and will drop over time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Their engineering is good! Market strategy and manufacturing availability? Not a good recent track record.

lamentable dustman posted:

I think amds big issue is competing against itself for fab space. If you are selling all the Zen cores you can churn out there is no reason make a bunch of big rear end gpus that probably make less profit per mm2 of a disk.

And consoles, which is likely very very low margin but absolute guaranteed pipeline and growing margin over time.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

teagone posted:

Intel save us, pls.

I returned my A380 because it was terribly unstable and sent my normally stable new system into paroxysms of hard freezes with stuck audio, but I do hope they get things more stable by early 2023. When it worked, I was honestly quite happy with the A380, and its QuickSync support was no joke. They have a shot if they can sort out the drivers.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lockback posted:

Their engineering is good! Market strategy and manufacturing availability? Not a good recent track record.

And consoles, which is likely very very low margin but absolute guaranteed pipeline and growing margin over time.

At least for RDNA3, they will no longer be competing against their consoles since they'll be on a new node. I'm also not sure if that's AMD who places those orders or Microsoft and Sony.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Since DLSS 3 is creating the newly displayed frames in the GPU and bypassing the CPU, won't that mean that you get the visual benefit of the new frames but the input latency of the non-interpolated frames?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pyrotek posted:

Since DLSS 3 is creating the newly displayed frames in the GPU and bypassing the CPU, won't that mean that you get the visual benefit of the new frames but the input latency of the non-interpolated frames?

correct, when interpolating 60fps up to 120fps you'll get the input latency "feel" of 60fps but the visual smoothness of 120fps (with caveats for interpolation artifacts)

they seem to be pairing DLSS3 with reflex as standard to try to bring down the input latency through other means

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

If AI has gotten good enough at making poo poo up there's no reason to stop at every-other interpolation, just let the GPU subdivide frames as quick as the refresh rate supports.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
at a certain point it seems like the extra frames without the improved input latency won't really have much meaningful benefit idk

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah it’s kinda AMDs game to lose at this point.

:rubby:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i suppose interpolation is the wrong word for this, since it implies looking at two frames and then generating the frame between them (the laggy way that TVs do frame insertion)

this is more like frame extrapolation, generating a frame based on the previous frame before the next real frame has even arrived

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lih posted:

at a certain point it seems like the extra frames without the improved input latency won't really have much meaningful benefit idk

As always, its probably going to depend on the game. I can absolutely think of lots of CPU limited games that I would love to double the framerate on, even if those frames didn't have any extra inputs or sim work going on. Flight Sim was their first example for good reason.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

FuturePastNow posted:

The first time I heard the Lovelace term I had to double check because wasn't all that aware of Ada Lovelace and the only famous Lovelace I could think of was Linda.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I didn't see this chart before (didn't watch the presentation, only read the thread/news sites)

This is a really bad and confusing selection of games to use since Nvidia cards tend to be all over the place in Ubisoft titles and RE Village, but the RTX 4080 12GB I guess is generally worse than the 3090 Ti without DLSS 3. Using their own numbers for RE: Village, it would seem as though the 4080 12GB is actually quite close to the 3080 12GB in rasterization performance. You're paying $200 more for better ray tracing support and DLSS 3 support.

That blows lmao.

edit: to be extra clear, you should take nothing on this chart at face value. It is comparing DLSS 2.0 to 3.0 in games that support both. I used RE:V because it's not one of the games with advertised DLSS 3 support (neither are AC:V or Div2—all the others are tested with DLSS3 for the 40-series and 2 for the 3090 Ti)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 21, 2022

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

repiv posted:

i suppose interpolation is the wrong word for this, since it implies looking at two frames and then generating the frame between them (the laggy way that TVs do frame insertion)

this is more like frame extrapolation, generating a frame based on the previous frame before the next real frame has even arrived

That makes sense, at least it won't add any lag to the equation. It just worries me when I see things like the Cyberpunk comparison on the DLSS 3 page that shows 22 FPS with DLSS off vs. 85 FPS with DLSS 3 on. I imagine the input latency will probably be more like it is at 1/2 of the DLSS 3 framerate to take into account the old-style DLSS generated frames, so it will "feel" more like 42 FPS. We'll find out soon enough, I suppose.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

repiv posted:

No, it's interpolation. It takes two frames and generates an in-between one. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/dlss3-ai-powered-neural-graphics-innovations/

"Ada’s Optical Flow Accelerator analyzes two sequential in-game frames and calculates an optical flow field. The optical flow field captures the direction and speed at which pixels are moving from frame 1 to frame 2. "

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I think using DLSS Frame Generation will probably increase input lag by a lot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I missed that Cyberpunk is getting another ray tracing upgrade

CD PROJEKT RED’s Cyberpunk 2077 is already one of the most advanced games available, using several ray tracing techniques to render a massive future city at incredible levels of detail. Soon, a new Cyberpunk 2077 update will hit the streets, bringing with it the new Ray Tracing: Overdrive Mode that greatly enhances the game’s already-incredible visuals.

Cyberpunk 2077’s neon-illuminated environments are key to its aesthetic, and with the new Ray Tracing: Overdrive Mode their level of detail is taken to the next level:
    -NVIDIA RTX Direct Illumination (RTXDI) gives each neon sign, street lamp, car headlight, LED billboard and TV accurate ray-traced lighting and shadows, bathing objects, walls, passing cars and pedestrians in accurate colored lighting
    -Ray-traced indirect lighting and reflections now bounce multiple times, compared to the previous solution’s single bounce. The result is even more accurate, realistic and immersive global illumination, reflections, and self-reflections
    -Ray-traced reflections are now rendered at full resolution, further improving their quality
    -Improved, more physically-based lighting removes the need for any other occlusion techniques

(I imagine this’ll be out of range for my 3060ti)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

"Ada’s Optical Flow Accelerator analyzes two sequential in-game frames and calculates an optical flow field. The optical flow field captures the direction and speed at which pixels are moving from frame 1 to frame 2. "

that could mean they're using the optical flow vectors between frames A and B to extrapolate from frame B

that way the optical flow would be a frame behind, but they wouldn't have to wait for frame C to arrive

if they are actually buffering a frame ahead then it's going to suck

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 20, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Rinkles posted:

CD PROJEKT RED’s Cyberpunk 2077 is already one of the most advanced games available, using several ray tracing techniques to render a massive future city at incredible levels of detail. Soon, a new Cyberpunk 2077 update will hit the streets, bringing with it the new Ray Tracing: Overdrive Mode that greatly enhances the game’s already-incredible visuals.

Cyberpunk 2077’s neon-illuminated environments are key to its aesthetic, and with the new Ray Tracing: Overdrive Mode their level of detail is taken to the next level:
    -NVIDIA RTX Direct Illumination (RTXDI) gives each neon sign, street lamp, car headlight, LED billboard and TV accurate ray-traced lighting and shadows, bathing objects, walls, passing cars and pedestrians in accurate colored lighting
    -Ray-traced indirect lighting and reflections now bounce multiple times, compared to the previous solution’s single bounce. The result is even more accurate, realistic and immersive global illumination, reflections, and self-reflections
    -Ray-traced reflections are now rendered at full resolution, further improving their quality
    -Improved, more physically-based lighting removes the need for any other occlusion techniques

I saw that. This is like the whole shebang, right? Every light source is now traced. You have multi-bounce GI. Full-res reflections. They already had RTAO (though it was broken sometimes) and RT shadows from the sun and artificial lights. Is there anything missing here?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Lookin at the RE Village chart, its really hard to guess if thats like 3090 non-Ti performance or like 3080 performance. Assuming its 3080 Ti level, that 4080 12gig would be the same as current 3080 Ti street prices for the same performance, with 65w lower TDP and better RT/DLSS3. Thats not ... awful, but also not great. Anyone who was around for the old insane generational performance days will get A Sad. And clearly anyone with value on the mind should stay away and buy firesale Ampere/RDNA2 or wait.

This sounds more and more like Turing, honestly.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

it may actually be more efficient, RTXDI is supposed to allow sampling a arbitrary number of lights using a fixed ray budget per pixel, rather than tracing shadow rays to every light on every frame.

in the research they've pushed it ridiculously far, like sampling hundreds of lights using a single ray per pixel. it has its limits but it's pretty impressive nonetheless.

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

It really depends on how much supply there will be. scalping requires demand to be higher than supply to work, and I don't think scalpers are capable of having a long-term impact on the market without crypto mining ballooning demand to unprecedented levels. scalpers might scalp the initial demand wave, but after that things will be normal, and I suspect prices will remain fluid and will drop over time.

The X factor in 4090 supply is the persistent rumor from multiple sources that Nvidia ordered WAY too much allocation on the 4nm+ node, and supposedly TSMC is forcing them to stick to that schedule albeit delayed by a quarter or so.

I actually don't expect nearly the impacted initial stock that we had with Ampere, especially since there are also numerous indications that Nvidia postponed this launch and is therefore likely to be sitting on lots of stock.

In short I think odds are extremely good that launch stock will be high, AND we can likely expect some discounts in pricing into Q1, especially post holiday season.

Of course they might pull some Apple poo poo and artificially limit initial units to generate the image that the cards are selling like hotcakes, but they can only do that for so long.

Q1 2023 is when everything gets revealed but in short it just, to me, doesn't look like we'll have anywhere near the issues we had with Ampere.

This is all based on speculation of course, but numerous sources are conflating the same general situation.