Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BMan posted:

First thing that popped into my head
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEoxaGkNcrg

This is eerily beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I’ve watched enough Air Disasters that I have to disagree that that sort of damage modeling would ever be fun. A game will never be able to capture the insane things that have gone wrong on planes. Watching a fireball once or twice is fun but loses its novelty quick and they’ll never capture weird cascading failures combined with weird ingenuity like this case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reeve_Aleutian_Airways_Flight_8?wprov=sfti1

Don’t get me wrong I get the gut reaction of wanting it but I don’t think it could ever deliver something other than a “wow that was cool. Anyway, onto something else“ sort of moment.

Every person is different, but I think if MSFS had damage & crash modeling comparable to BeamNG.Drive, or even something like IL-2 Sturmovik, I'd probably never leave the house

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Yeah nursing a damaged warbird or bomber back to your home airfield is a great experience. Failures in MSFS don't quite have the same excitement to them, although I think the flybywire ones at least are very interesting.

I think the best exciting 'challenge' I can think of right now is taking an airliner and taking of from Paro (VQPR) during a thunderstorm, just before dawn. You're taking off in the middle of the himalaya, with mountains everywhere around you that are only illuminated by occassional lightning, while your GPWS tells you that the ground is creeping up. Very spooky. And it's a great pay-off when you finally find a way out of the massive thunderstorm cell, or a tunnel between them, towards the rising sun.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
What is the real take on XP12 beta from you bunch? A lot of other forums are either inherently dedicated to XP or to a competitor, and large public space like Twitter and Reddit are salted with corporate marketing.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
It seems an awful lot like X-plane 11.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

GutBomb posted:

It seems an awful lot like X-plane 11.

Which seemed an awful lot like X-Plane 10

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

It's a step in the right direction however it's not an MSFS killer like some folks were (wrongly) expecting.

Will I get it? Once relased on Steam, yes.

Will I still play MSFS2020? Also, yes.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

JayKay posted:

It's a step in the right direction however it's not an MSFS killer like some folks were (wrongly) expecting.

Will I get it? Once relased on Steam, yes.

Will I still play MSFS2020? Also, yes.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the respective strengths of both sims that make you keep them both around?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what's the respective strengths of both sims that make you keep them both around?

Not them, but I used to fly P3D and XP10 both actively a few years ago.

I think GA planes feel more fun in XP due to their modeling physics. P3D always felt more stable and boring when it comes to the actual flying. I have no idea if either was more realistic, because I have not flown IRL.

But at least with my plane collection, larger planes with more glass cockpits and systems were nicer to use with P3D. The UI for manipulating knobs and such was more annoying and wonky in XP imo.

So they have their strengths.

As it is, MSFS graphics are so much ahead that I don't see myself buying payware planes for XP, should I get the new one some day.

The playing field was much more level before.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I've always been into both sims. I grew up with MSFS (started with MSFS 5.0) and when I came across a boxed copy of XP9 at a local Microcenter, I started playing that too. I also had P3Dv4 for awhile.

Originally it was:

MSFS: VFR flights, goofing around, sightseeing.

XP11: IFR flights, helicopters, serious simming, flipping switches, etc.

My biggest gripe with MSFS was their systems, or lack thereof. But it has gotten significantly better (shoutout to the WT guys) I'm also using the TDS GTN addon which really makes things nice.

The biggest knock against XP11 would be the scenery/autogen and weather (especially when compared to MSFS) but I have tried to improve that with Vstates Ortho, X-Scenery, Enhanced Skyscapes, and the NOAA Weather plugin.

But honestly now it's more about what plane I want to fly.

Do I want to do some mountain flying and sight seeing? MSFS with the 414A or 310r

Do I want to do some cargo ops? XP11 with a A300-600r or A310.

Do I want to do the full start up of a helicopter and then lawndart it? XP11 or DCS

Do I want to recreate a recent flight I took to Orlando in a A320? MSFS with the Fenix A320

Do I want to do some JANET ops to Area 51? MSFS with the PMDG 736.

Do I want to do some GA pattern work at my local airport? Justflight Arrow in MSFS or the vFlyte Arrow in XP11

To me, I think it's crazy how far we've come and how there are so many flight sim options out there now that can help scratch that itch.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Has Asobo given a launch date for SU10? I thought it was supposed to be this week.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I think they added an extra week to give them time to stop laughing at X-Plane 12.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Xplane is a good sim for the reasons posted above. Great job outlining the differences and I agree.

I may even buy the Challenger 650, take that nerds

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Bentai posted:

Has Asobo given a launch date for SU10? I thought it was supposed to be this week.

Supposedly they're waiting on nVidia to release new drivers for additional stability, but nVidia has themselves delayed the release.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Where are my helicopters and gliders, damnit?! That's not even in this update!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

soggybagel posted:

You underestimate how much fun it would be to crash a plane into my friends houses and watch a fireball ensue.

This is actually been something of a bullying issue iirc. People crashing into houses of their enemies and posting it on snapchat or tiktok, etc. and just loling at them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

dialhforhero posted:

This is actually been something of a bullying issue iirc. People crashing into houses of their enemies and posting it on snapchat or tiktok, etc. and just loling at them.

I don't know if this is a dril tweet but it should be.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

please stop crshaing into my house in flight simulator, it's not fun, its bullying

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

As always, it depends on the context. Like yes, if someone who is actively harassing you and threatening you in other ways also sends you something like that, that could be scary.

But also I'm pretty sure that story comes from just a handful of instances the media found and amplified for a moment before dropping it when they saw nobody really cared.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

As always, it depends on the context. Like yes, if someone who is actively harassing you and threatening you in other ways also sends you something like that, that could be scary.

But also I'm pretty sure that story comes from just a handful of instances the media found and amplified for a moment before dropping it when they saw nobody really cared.

If someone really wanted to harass you, and knew where you live, there's unfortunately far more destructive and dangerous ways of doing it. The FS aspect makes it seem absurd.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I think we have to view it in context. I think the idea is that the victims are already targeted in a social media campaign, i.e. already bullied over TikTok, messenger apps and what not. Putting your middle school enemies into a video game is as old as video games. Including their house in that tactic makes it spicier. To someone who already feels unsafe that might make it worse.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Is anyone here running MSFS (Steam) in Linux? Are there any tweaks needed to bring performance up?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

soggybagel posted:

You underestimate how much fun it would be to crash a plane into my friends houses and watch a fireball ensue.

When MFS came out I streamed myself playing to my friends and had them help me find their houses from the air so I could do my best impression of a loitering munition.

Edit: Oh wow I didn't know the area 51 air taxi used the -600 specifically. No more pretending I'm using a regular one anymore.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 19, 2022

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

skooma512 posted:

When MFS came out I streamed myself playing to my friends and had them help me find their houses from the air so I could do my best impression of a loitering munition.

Yeah and also I remember seeing a couple tweet videos really get traction when the game came out of people crashing into big buildings and all the responses being like "OMG I THOUGHT THIS WAS REAL" and stuff. We are easily amused.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

soggybagel posted:

Yeah and also I remember seeing a couple tweet videos really get traction when the game came out of people crashing into big buildings and all the responses being like "OMG I THOUGHT THIS WAS REAL" and stuff. We are easily amused.

It helps if all involved are in on the joke I guess

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
I mean, didn't we have actual news outlets reporting on DCS clips as if it were actual combat footage out of Ukraine? So, Poe's law and all that.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Was looking up what Janet ops were and I think PMDG might be trying to tell us something, because DC-6s also did Area 51 transport. :nsa:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Even War Thunder looks real enough if you're watching a clip on a phone.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Scruff McGruff posted:

I mean, didn't we have actual news outlets reporting on DCS clips as if it were actual combat footage out of Ukraine? So, Poe's law and all that.

Yeah it was of a plane getting shot at from AA stuff I think? And then it got reshared where its like "THIS IS THE GHOST OF UKRAINE" or whatever.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

soggybagel posted:

Yeah it was of a plane getting shot at from AA stuff I think? And then it got reshared where its like "THIS IS THE GHOST OF UKRAINE" or whatever.

Scruff McGruff posted:

At least the most popularized clip wasn't AA, it was a supposed dog fight between the Ghost of Kyiv and a Russian fighter. It helps that the clips were of poor image quality and that the planes were only in-frame for brief moments. They looked at bit odd but it took a while until people mustered the courage to definitely call them fabrications. The Ghost of Kyiv story was a wild period in meme theory -- it was really interesting to see it evolve to the point that it was reported on in the news and started to lead its own life.

Cojawfee posted:

Even War Thunder looks real enough if you're watching a clip on a phone.

There was a guy on the War Thunder forums who was able to create eerily good WW2 gun-cam footage. After turning the colors into a poorly exposed black and white, he zoomed in the picture to a narrow FOV, emulated out-of-focus camera lenses, added a bunch of artifacts until it looked like it was really some archival footage. If you saw a number of these you would be able to pick out the 'gaminess' of the sequences and realize they were fake, but you might get away with hiding one of these clips between real clips and fool a good number of casual observers, especially if they don't know how plane games 'look'.

Edit:
I can't find the original author, but these ones are nice as well; sometimes they overdo it, but certain passages are very well done, especially how it looks when the planes turn away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgiH2OaBr-o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0L-qoojD5M
https://www.reddit.com/r/Warthunder/comments/kqk7ti/war_thunder_gun_camera_footage_1944_colorized/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXecKcQmdzg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn8ipsUIdek

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 19, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I just got the new Honeycomb Yoke, so my old one is up for sale. Thought I'd give Goons the first opportunity to buy it if they wanted to. I was thinking $200+shipping?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Shouldn't SU10 be dropping soon?

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

FunOne posted:

Shouldn't SU10 be dropping soon?

Yes, their originally said last week but I think some issue with nVidia driver came up so they are waiting for nVidia to release a new one before they do their release.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Now we know what they were waiting for in Nvidia's drivers: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/dlss3-ai-powered-neural-graphics-innovations/

MSFS is going to have DLSS 3 support, a new branch of DLSS that includes a form of AI-assisted motion interpolation.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/MSFSofficial/status/1572288998042894337
SU10 drops tomorrow.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Ugh DLSS 3 only for the new 4000-series Geforces sucks :mad:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Squiggle posted:

Ugh DLSS 3 only for the new 4000-series Geforces sucks :mad:

They've added DLSS support for current cards though haven't they? It was what all the testing was about. I would assume 4xxx series cards to get super-special DLSS and the rest of us get normal DLSS.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Dlss isn’t gonna solve this games cpu issues

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

DLSS 3 apparently DOES solve this game's CPU issues though?

quote:

DLSS Frame Generation executes as a post-process on the GPU, allowing the AI network to boost frame rates even when the game is bottlenecked by the CPU. For CPU-limited games, such as those that are physics-heavy or involve large worlds, DLSS 3 allows GeForce RTX 40 Series graphics cards to render at up to twice the frame rate over what the CPU is able to compute. In Microsoft Flight Simulator for example, with the 1:1 real-world recreation of our planet, DLSS 3 boosts FPS by up to 2X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJlo2I7CiD0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I’ll believe it when I see it becuse the game isn’t cpu heavy it’s single thread heavy on one very bad ui design

And of course their example is a GA where none of the problems present