Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's basically just a mildly better raging river with more stuff on top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LanceKing2200 posted:

Space Jace is actually pretty good in Atraxa Superfriends as a stax piece, but it's not like that deck doesn't have a ton of playable cards anyway.

Explain

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

It's blue and it's white so it's a stax piece! :v:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

One person in my playgroup will describe any permanent controlled by another player that stops them doing exactly what they want as a stax piece.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Is Atraxa still a bogeyman at some tables? I thought she had gone the way of Sharuum, Uril, etc.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Aranan posted:

Is Atraxa still a bogeyman at some tables? I thought she had gone the way of Sharuum, Uril, etc.

I'm pretty sure she was never a boogieman and merely just the most popular generic commander outside of Golos.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

EDHREC still has her with the most decks. She's also #1 over the past month, but 4th in the past week.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
She’s never gonna drop off because she’s the best proliferate commander with the most colors and super friends decks are only ever getting stronger, more popular & more consistent

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Which is a shame because a lot of the most fun walkers are red.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

When dividing the playfield up into sectors, you get to choose last, so you can put Atraxa herself in the position to swing with relative impunity, and pick for optimal board wipes. Also she will make better use of the counters than opponents presumably.

It's not AMAZING, like I said that deck is jam packed as it is, but I think it could be decent.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
How is that a stax piece?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

If you ever decide you just really hate your (non high powered) playgroup and want them to have a bad time this is a great curve right here

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

why jace got a laser nipple tho

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Silhouette posted:

why jace got a laser nipple tho

To go with his laser dick.

Magar is dumb: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/suRhuLKy_0mhUjOwb2Z5Ag

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 21, 2022

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
If anyone has a few to look over this deck for me and help me with cuts for interaction and mana, I'd appreciate it. The idea is to make ivy non-legendary make a bunch of copies and then get a bunch of value out of auras, cantrips, and mutates. I'm deliberately avoiding certain staples like Rhystic for power level reasons. My group is all over the place and some of my other decks that are more in the range I like to play power-level wise are starting to wear the groups patience. This is a pretty early draft still so apologies for that.

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/y7YWHzoHLkq5q_zqaMPaFw

Dreqqus fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 21, 2022

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dreqqus posted:

If anyone has a few to look over this deck for me and help me with cuts for interaction and mana, I'd appreciate it. The idea is to make ivy non-legendary make a bunch of copies and then get a bunch of value out of auras, cantrips, and mutates. I'm deliberately avoiding certain staples like Rhystic for power level reasons. My group is all over the place and some of my other decks that are more in the range I like to play power-level wise are starting to wear the groups patience. This is a pretty early draft still so apologies for that.

I'm at work so can't look at it now but I snagged an Ivy cause it seems like it'll be a wicked fun deck

I'll try to look over your list later tonight after DIY project poo poo :rip:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Dreqqus posted:

This deck does everything I love. You’re so light on mana though you’ll be screwed more often than not - 32 lands isn’t acceptable unless your curve is under 2. You want minimum 36 lands ideally 37-38.

Beware of the non-bos of token doublers and Ivy’s effect. Spells copied on the stack aren’t “created” so doublers don’t see them.

But it works with token clone creators of course. You may not have enough instants and sorceries for Orvar to give you the mileage you want but if he does his thing 1-2 times it’s worth it.

I did a deck tech over on my YouTube channel just last week re: Ivy along with two deck lists. Check ‘em out: Commander Mechanic

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Balon posted:

This deck does everything I love. You’re so light on mana though you’ll be screwed more often than not - 32 lands isn’t acceptable unless your curve is under 2. You want minimum 36 lands ideally 37-38.

Beware of the non-bos of token doublers and Ivy’s effect. Spells copied on the stack aren’t “created” so doublers don’t see them.

But it works with token clone creators of course. You may not have enough instants and sorceries for Orvar to give you the mileage you want but if he does his thing 1-2 times it’s worth it.

I did a deck tech over on my YouTube channel just last week re: Ivy along with two deck lists. Check ‘em out: Commander Mechanic

Which of the two lists do you favor?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Batterypowered7 posted:

Which of the two lists do you favor?

I’ve been having a ton of fun with the 1-mana-only list but it’s a gimmick that’s really only viable if you’re playing with chill people. The “regular” list is basically a exactly what you’d expect from a stock Ivy list and I find that a bit boring.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Phil and Kaja Foglio are doing another Kickstarter of their art!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/originalmagicart/foglio-portfoglio-2

I'd be down for that Infernal Darkness or that gorgeous Teferi's Puzzle Box, poo poo even a few of those as art prints for my wall.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Dreqqus posted:

As a side note, since the mutate pile's characteristics come from the top card, if you mutate your gemrazer or whatever on top of Ivy, the mutate creature won't be legendary.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jiro posted:

Phil and Kaja Foglio are doing another Kickstarter of their art!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/originalmagicart/foglio-portfoglio-2

I'd be down for that Infernal Darkness or that gorgeous Teferi's Puzzle Box, poo poo even a few of those as art prints for my wall.

Ugh, wish it wasn't on KS.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

Yeah.....that is a bummer. But I'd like to support them and have more cartoons in my MTG. And some of their art prints.

Would Gamefound even accept a premise like this?

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
I appreciate it everyone!

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Magnetic North posted:

Is KickStarter not cool anymore?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

The World Inferno posted:

Is KickStarter not cool anymore?

Beyond the sketchiness/caveat emptor of crowdfunding generally, they embraced crypto late last year, which in case you aren't aware is massively environmentally destructive and they announced it without attesting as to how it would help anything on their lovely website that has lots of other problems. On the plus side, this has inspired backlash and eventually flight to their primary competitor Gamefound (set up by crowdfunding company Awakened Realms) and also got pledge manager company Backerkit to cut out the middleman and offer an end-to-end platform. So, at least now there are semi-viable alternatives to what was a de facto monopoly on crowdfunding, mostly because they wanted to make some investors moist with buzzwords.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
In response to the backlash against the blockchain decision they announced they were pausing the implementation for the time being and are putting together an advisory group comprised of community members. This was last december and the group was formed in may-june I think. I checked a while ago and they had only done one meeting & the agenda was basically to get to know each-other.

There were no other announcements about the blockchain on the KS website that I could find, so I searched the forums and twitter of the blockchain itself and there were only a few references on the forum to how poorly the announcement was received. Except the twitter had advertised they were working with KS in April I think. So I don’t think there’s still plans to go forward at KS, but I’m still not giving them money right now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah between Seb turning into an anti-vaxx nut job and the completely unnecessary hoops and loops of the Academic I’m done with KS for the time being.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah between Seb turning into an anti-vaxx nut job and the completely unnecessary hoops and loops of the Academic I’m done with KS for the time being.

yeah it was definitely confusing and convoluted to order the Academic deck boxes, that's for sure. that was probably the worst KS i've participated in (not Prof's fault)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'm just kinda over the "pay now, get what you paid for months in the future" model. I know it's how you get some cool and limited run stuff, but it's an annoying business model. I've got some keyboard stuff that I ordered last year that I'm not likely to see until next year and it's so very dumb.

Unless I want it bad enough. Where is my coin flip secret lair commander deck, WotC?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Framboise posted:

Unless I want it bad enough. Where is my coin flip secret lair commander deck, WotC?

Is that still not out yet? When did it go up?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

yeah it was definitely confusing and convoluted to order the Academic deck boxes, that's for sure. that was probably the worst KS i've participated in (not Prof's fault)

Also delivery was like a year off for a deckbox.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Bust Rodd posted:

I backed and I'm not proud of it but I like the Foglios and their art. Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing a crowdfunding site just for artists.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I brought my Drake posted:

I backed and I'm not proud of it but I like the Foglios and their art. Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing a crowdfunding site just for artists.

OMA has that on their actual site, using Backerkit.

https://originalmagicart.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

I'm not sure why they use Kickstarter for the full projects instead.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Chakan posted:

Is that still not out yet? When did it go up?

I think it was sometime in December.

It has been almost a year. They handed out 2 Kamigawa collector boosters as a consolation but mine ended up getting lost in the mail and I had to fight with WotC for almost a month to get a replacement. (And then the packs sucked.)

They can print full decks in a special foil style for retail, but still can't get out half-foil decks for people who bought them nearly a year ago.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

If one were to make a cEDH deck using Breya as the commander, do you guys think she'd just be there to provide four colors to build with (and would just be some sort of stax and/or thoracle combo deck), or could she be a good build-around commander to grind out card advantage with?

E:

There's probably better Partner commander combinations for those four colors, I imagine.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Batterypowered7 posted:

If one were to make a cEDH deck using Breya as the commander, do you guys think she'd just be there to provide four colors to build with (and would just be some sort of stax and/or thoracle combo deck), or could she be a good build-around commander to grind out card advantage with?

E:

There's probably better Partner commander combinations for those four colors, I imagine.

She's quite good, and central to some of the combos

Here's a representative list with primer: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/OurmvUhkrUOz1Zb7Oa4Mbg

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Also delivery was like a year off for a deckbox.

This is kinda just Kickstarter.txt tbh (not defending it) so I'm not super salty about it but I get what you're saying

Honestly I kinda like paying for something way in advance then basically forgetting about it until it just shows up, kind of a nice surprise

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

This is kinda just Kickstarter.txt tbh (not defending it) so I'm not super salty about it but I get what you're saying

Honestly I kinda like paying for something way in advance then basically forgetting about it until it just shows up, kind of a nice surprise

It's not rare on Kickstarter, but this was from a company already mass manufacturing deckboxes every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Batterypowered7 posted:

E:

Breya's fine, but you're correct that there's a better option in those colors, being Tymna/Kraum.