Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I swear it wasn’t me. If I bought you a ‘Tar it’d be

I’m watching RAW and Corey Graves is screaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NienNunb posted:

Someone has made a very powerful enemy tonight.

Hulkamatt what is NienNunb's avatar?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

NienNunb posted:

This owns

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

NienNunb posted:

whaddya gonna do about it, bite a guy???

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1572039791205842951

Rhea going to start wearing the Eddie shirt to the ring

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SG Bamboo posted:

AJ Soprano lookin mfer

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Alaois posted:

AJ Soprano lookin mfer

I'm getting more "The offspring of the goth lad portrayed by Matthew Holness in a series of sketches in Bruiser" vibes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vC7PnGWf1Y

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I dunno. Dominic is indeed a charismaless black hole, and not particularly good in the ring.

But I'm kinda warming to him as Rhea's minion. I mean, at the very least it sorta makes Rhea look cool, yeah?

Or do I just have bad opinions.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

If being Rhea's minion makes him stop trying to do the Eddie wiggle it's a net good

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

BrigadierSensible posted:

I dunno. Dominic is indeed a charismaless black hole, and not particularly good in the ring.

But I'm kinda warming to him as Rhea's minion. I mean, at the very least it sorta makes Rhea look cool, yeah?

Or do I just have bad opinions.

Something is working with it IMO. He's so comically inept and she is doing such a good job being this corrupter of this blackhole of nothing it sorta becomes a funny, good act. I'm not sure it's what they're going for, but it kinda works.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

Something is working with it IMO. He's so comically inept and she is doing such a good job being this corrupter of this blackhole of nothing it sorta becomes a funny, good act. I'm not sure it's what they're going for, but it kinda works.

Maybe I'll start watching if this is the direction EVIL DOMINIK goes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPUgjy-Pn-4

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

a villain who eats and ranks all 481 nabisco products

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Alaois posted:

AJ Soprano lookin mfer

Well, I’ll never unsee this now

punchdaily
Nov 8, 2010

SG Bamboo posted:

If you have a David Flair, you simply must pair him with a Daphne.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

D.N. Nation posted:

Warrior teleporting into the cage but then being unable to teleport out again was some peak WCW

he teleported out the first time when he was getting the poo poo kicked out of him

apparently his powers just have a really long cooldown

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
And while busting out of the cage he tore his biceps and sprained his ankle.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I am one of those people that feel that gimmick matches should be used for a specific purpose.

In general, cage matches should be used to prevent outside interference. The heel is trying to get away and can win by escape, the face should be trying to win by pinfall. Hell in a Cell then ups the stakes, because now the heel can't get away, irregardless of if they leave the cage or not. But it seems like WWE makes HIAC matches this thing that is supposed to be brutal that both people go into willingly, but it makes no sense because it's just a normal No DQ match, but in a cage with a roof on it that maybe someone will climb up on or jump off of. But "it changes you" or something. And with the yearly iterations, you get stuff like Punk vs Ryback that had to take place in HIAC but didn't need to.

WarGames was suppose to be this match where you had two teams that can't settle their differences, so you're going to have a match where there is no winner until one team is just completely destroyed to the point where they quit, with no way to escape or get outside help. In NXT it was just a match with new rules. There was no roof on the cage. It was like this honor system of "don't leave the cage, or you'll lose the match" which defeats the whole purpose of the match being that you can't just cheese your way out of it once it starts and everyone is in the cage and the doors are locked.

I get it, they need to market this stuff. They need to advertise a PPV for sale months in advance but with no matches announced, so advertising a gimmick match helps. But it just gives off this vibe that the match is happening because it has to happen, not because it happened organically. And then doing the stuff that it has to be fair for the men and the women to both have a match just adds to that feeling. And you can't even do this stuff on TV, because FOX and NBCU get upset that their show didn't have the same gimmick match and they end up doing it twice like they did in 2021 where we had 4 cell matches in 4 days.

It's funny that people are like "Oh, well this makes sense because of The Bloodline!" but then we are 2 months away from the PPV and there is no logical idea of who they would be facing. It's like in NXT where for 4 years in a row we got The Undisputed Era vs. teams that seemed thrown together. Dunn/Ricochet/War Raiders..... Ciampa/Lee/Dijakovic/Owens... McAfee/Dunn/Burch/Lorcan

All WarGames matches were not perfect by any means, but I can recall matches from 1996 and 1997 in WCW where I remember the buildup, the match, and the fallout. I can't really recall anything about the recent NXT matches and what really came out of them.

Take the 2019 Mens match... Team Ciampa (Tommaso Ciampa, Keith Lee, Dominik Dijakovic, and Kevin Owens) vs The Undisputed Era. TUE had all the gold going in to that match, and TUE lost with Ciampa doing the Air Raid Crash to Cole off the cage and through a table. The fallout from that ends up being that Lee beats Strong for the NA title in January, and then beats Cole in July for the World Title, then the dude immediately loses to Kross and has no titles. Then goes to Raw and does not much of anything. It's weird, for sure...

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
All of AEW’s blood and guts matches have been better than wwe war games. War Games have been fun matches but they feel like these big choreographed spot fests where blood and guts feels like a big giant unorganized fight. Which I think tends to work for that kind of match type.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The_Rob posted:

All of AEW’s blood and guts matches have been better than wwe war games. War Games have been fun matches but they feel like these big choreographed spot fests where blood and guts feels like a big giant unorganized fight. Which I think tends to work for that kind of match type.

I was thinking on it and this is about where I am. They're both good and both pretty different styles so I can see how EMF prefers the WWE ones. WWE is really good at them being choreographed spectacle and does spots like "both teams meet in the middle and start wailing on each other" way better. But AEW is better at making the whole thing feel like a train wreck and just a huge brawl between people who are in fact trying to kill each other. I wouldn't expect something like Angelo Parker suddenly teleporting to the outside of the cage upside down in a WWE match but in turn WWE has done way better top of the cage spots than AEW.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the war games where that tertiary guy got injured real bad and was taken out of the match was better than all of the B&G so far in my opinion, and tony agrees since he tried to rip it off

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Wargames and BnG are good, enjoyable trash. I'll definitely be sure to read every goon essay on why I shouldn't actually be enjoying them though.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Wargames and BnG are good, enjoyable trash. I'll definitely be sure to read every goon essay on why I shouldn't actually be enjoying them though.

I mean no one said anything like that. I enjoy both companies versions of the match. I just think blood and guts is executed better.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Which War Games was better, the 1998 one with Warrior or War Games 2000 which took place on a random Nitro and had Vince Russo, Kronik, the Harris Brothers and Ernest Miller showing up at various points?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Which War Games was better, the 1998 one with Warrior or War Games 2000 which took place on a random Nitro and had Vince Russo, Kronik, the Harris Brothers and Ernest Miller showing up at various points?

2000 because it had Nash, the sitting champion, get bored and wander off in the middle of the match

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

projecthalaxy posted:

2000 because it had Nash, the sitting champion, get bored and wander off in the middle of the match

Nash also only did 4 moves in the entire match and walked away retaining the title, so that one.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Nash hitting an arm drag in TNA and the crowd chanting you still got it while he preens is one of my fav dumb wrestling moments.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Wargames 2000 also had the wonderful Nash moment of Russo announcing that Nash would defend his title in a Wargames 2000 match and Nash replying that he is not a fighting champion, that that sounds like work, and to call him on the 30th day of the month so he can have his contractually obligated singles match because he's not interested in any Wargames 2000.

Which is admittedly a bit Russo Inside Baseball but also owns imo.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I legitimately can’t wait for Bray to be back with Alexa and they’re doing the most embarrassing poo poo on tv every week and all the wwe culture warriors have to yell about how good it is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

projecthalaxy posted:

Wargames 2000 also had the wonderful Nash moment of Russo announcing that Nash would defend his title in a Wargames 2000 match and Nash replying that he is not a fighting champion, that that sounds like work, and to call him on the 30th day of the month so he can have his contractually obligated singles match because he's not interested in any Wargames 2000.

Which is admittedly a bit Russo Inside Baseball but also owns imo.

I was going to say "Nash wasn't champion at that point he won the title in like May" and then my brain ran through all of the champions that year and remembered he did in fact get the title back during that period where Booker would lose the title once a month.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Escaping the cage is a silly thing. You shouldn’t be able to do it, they made the cage so you can’t run away.

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
Blood and Guts should have the rule against escaping the cage like modern day War Games does.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I agree especially since Taker and Mankind already did "thrown off the top of the cage" so iconic that anyone else doing it will be seen as a copy/lesser version, so might as well keep em inside the cage for the "you cant escape!" vibe

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

If youre going to do escape the cage the cage can only be this big these are the rules

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

projecthalaxy posted:

If youre going to do escape the cage the cage can only be this big these are the rules

https://youtu.be/49AGO0rRr90

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Thank you for bringing this into my life

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

They've perfected MMA.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

projecthalaxy posted:

lol what the gently caress is this and how was Jim Cornette involved?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's Chief Jay Strongbow vs Don Kent in a Shark Cage Match and not at all to my knowledge. It's in Ed Farhat/Original Sheik's Detroit territory from 1973.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Shark Cage match from Detroit. Escape the cage rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SntvhkyKMXM&t=2697s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

projecthalaxy posted:

It's Chief Jay Strongbow vs Don Kent in a Shark Cage Match and not at all to my knowledge. It's in Ed Farhat/Original Sheik's Detroit territory from 1973.

MassRafTer posted:

Shark Cage match from Detroit. Escape the cage rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SntvhkyKMXM&t=2697s

That's one of the dumbest / best things I've seen.