Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

The first time I heard the Lovelace term I had to double check because wasn't all that aware of Ada Lovelace and the only famous Lovelace I could think of was Linda.

If you look at the comparison graphs on Nvidia's site it's the only series where they use a first name because they're aware of the distinction.

They should have called it Linda though, because they screwed the pooch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Cygni posted:

This sounds more and more like Turing, honestly.

i think it's shaping up to be much worse really lol

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
We really just need the independent/semi independent benchmark numbers between all the cards when they're allowed to be posted, being patient can be annoying though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

repiv posted:

it may actually be more efficient, RTXDI is supposed to allow sampling a arbitrary number of lights using a fixed ray budget per pixel, rather than tracing shadow rays to every light on every frame.

in the research they've pushed it ridiculously far, like sampling hundreds of lights using a single ray per pixel. it has its limits but it's pretty impressive nonetheless.

I actually found it interesting how varied the performance can be with RT on. At night it can drop to below 50% max fps. The biggest delta I saw with RT off was like 25% (not counting cpu bottlenecks).

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I think using DLSS Frame Generation will probably increase input lag by a lot.

I would think that it'd work by looking at frame N-1, N, and then trying to generate frame N+0.5 by extrapolating the detected motion vectors, rather than looking at frame N-1, N, and then trying to generate from N-0.5 based on the difference. Motion vectors should allow you to do this for opaque stuff already, I guess all the optical flow stuff is to they can project transparent stuff forward.

I'm kinda surprised it's take so long for somebody to come back to frame interpolation. The Force Unleashed devs showed an experimental 30 -> 60 FPS frame interpolation technique back in like 2011 that ran on a Xbox 360 and looked pretty good as I recall. They were projecting forward from the previous frame and polled controller input at 60hz rather than 30hz, which let them update camera movement motion vectors at 60hz. This apparently had the effect of reducing perceived latency. I'd be curious to see how something like that would work today, projecting the last frame forward and rendering like a 1/16th resolution frame to fill in disocclusions.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

infraboy posted:

We really just need the independent/semi independent benchmark numbers between all the cards when they're allowed to be posted, being patient can be annoying though.

I mean, those are coming. But press is strictly under NDA so that Nvidia can do their marketing spiel unabated.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I actually found it interesting how varied the performance can be with RT on. At night it can drop to below 50% max fps. The biggest delta I saw with RT off was like 25% (not counting cpu bottlenecks).

Though I wonder if those swings were compounded by DLSS.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cygni posted:

Lookin at the RE Village chart, its really hard to guess if thats like 3090 non-Ti performance or like 3080 performance. Assuming its 3080 Ti level, that 4080 12gig would be the same as current 3080 Ti street prices for the same performance, with 65w lower TDP and better RT/DLSS3. Thats not ... awful, but also not great. Anyone who was around for the old insane generational performance days will get A Sad. And clearly anyone with value on the mind should stay away and buy firesale Ampere/RDNA2 or wait.

This sounds more and more like Turing, honestly.

Considering the 3080 Ti is only marginally more performant than the 3080 12GB (we're talking single-digit percent), I don't think it makes too much of a difference. The 3080 Ti is also a dumb card to buy right now.

The one point I'll give in the 4080 12GB's favor is that if the RT boost is as high as Nvidia claims, then it may be okay to ignore the relative stagnation in rasterization performance. If you're gaming at 1440p, then the raster performance is going to be good no matter what. I genuinely don't think we're going to be seeing that much in the way of highly-demanding games that don't use RT going forward. We will still see plenty of games that go without RT, but those will all likely run at 90+ fps on a 3080 12GB/Ti/4080 12GB at 1440p anyway. RT is the one area that will bring your computer to its knees, so if the 4080 can bring a big boost there, that probably means more than a raster boost would. I think this goes for all of the high-end cards. We've honestly hit peak raster. We have enough rasterization performance now, and there's nothing on the horizon looking to really push that. If you're a skeptic about ray tracing, that's fine, just don't buy the new cards and games will continue to run excellently for you.

...But if you want to do 4K, then this all changes and you're probably wishing that the 4080 12GB would bring a little bit of a boost to rasterization at that price.

tl;dr: yeah, it's another turing situation, with almost the same caveats (except now there's at least a pretty decent number of games with RT)

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 20, 2022

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

steckles posted:

I'm kinda surprised it's take so long for somebody to come back to frame interpolation.

it's been a staple of VR rendering for years, any time you miss vsync they extrapolate the last frame to the current frames head position to keep you from :barf:ing. AFAIK they even borrow the video encoders optical flow engine like nvidia is doing.

due to the artifacts it causes that's generally treated as a last resort though, not something you'd rely on all the time, which is probably why it didn't spread outside of VR until now with a (seemingly) better quality spin on the idea

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oh, and the official spec sheets confirm DisplayPort 1.4a. DP 2.0 is not support this generation, which is just baffling to me.

I wonder if they'll be able to do a firmware update to support it like how they upgraded Pascal from 1.2 to 1.4a.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Any details on how RTX remix will work (demoed on Morrowind)? That looked amazing, but I’m not sure how automated it’ll be.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Oh, and the official spec sheets confirm DisplayPort 1.4a. DP 2.0 is not support this generation, which is just baffling to me.

I wonder if they'll be able to do a firmware update to support it like how they upgraded Pascal from 1.2 to 1.4a.

Does any monitor on the market even have DP2.0 yet?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

With the Etherium change I'm hoping this might be a good time to upgrade my graphics card. Here's my current system:

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 3.70GHz
16 GB RAM
PSU: Corsair 550 W RM550x Series 80 PLUS Gold
Asrock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard

I'm rocking a 2015 vintage GTX 970, so it's probably due. I have a 4k monitor from an old work computer that I'd like to run at 60Hz and a crappy 1080p Samsung.

I'm in the UK so prices are still absurd and there's no stock of any founders edition 30 series (except the 3070Ti, lol). What can I reasonably attach to that motherboard?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Any details on how RTX remix will work? That looked amazing, but I’m not sure how automated it’ll be.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-remix-announcement/

seems like it's basically plug and play for DX8/DX9 games, but to get good results out of the raytracing engine someone will need to author PBR texture replacements and set up light sources for the game

they're saying that Portal RTX is actually built using remix, so the implication is that it's still the original unmodified executable from 2007 and the new renderer is just wrapped around it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZHBl5yWqJk

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 20, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Looks like PNY revealed the AD102 specs in the spec sheet for one of their workstation cards: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-details-ad102-gpu-up-to-18432-cuda-cores-76-3b-transistors-and-608-mm%c2%b2

608 mm² is seriously small for the kind of performance being claimed, with 76.3B transistors claimed to be packed in there. Is that even more transistor density than the H100?

Shipon posted:

Does any monitor on the market even have DP2.0 yet?

No, but it would help with adoption if the new cards supported it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Wolfsbane posted:

With the Etherium change I'm hoping this might be a good time to upgrade my graphics card. Here's my current system:

I'm in the UK so prices are still absurd and there's no stock of any founders edition 30 series (except the 3070Ti, lol). What can I reasonably attach to that motherboard?

Can't you get a used mining card from eBay.co.uk?

An example I saw just now:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385110612195?epid=3048026982

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
what's a turing situation. do I have to upgrade my 12gb 3080 or not

lih
May 15, 2013

Impermanent posted:

definitely not

turing was the 20 series which had major price increases + limited performance gains, & was not well-received as a result

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Impermanent posted:

Definitely not, enjoy.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Impermanent posted:

turing situation = price to performance stagnation with traditional rendering, but with fancy ray tracing capabilities and extra features.

don't upgrade until you find something you want to do that you can't do with your current card.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Even me on a 3080 FE, I'm not really considering the "upgrade". Now if I get one for free through the upcoming twitter giveaways, that'll be a different story. :shepface:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

repiv posted:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-remix-announcement/

seems like it's basically plug and play for DX8/DX9 games, but to get good results out of the raytracing engine someone will need to author PBR texture replacements and set up light sources for the game

they're saying that Portal RTX is actually built using remix, so the implication is that it's still the original unmodified executable from 2007 and the new renderer is just wrapped around it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZHBl5yWqJk

Yeah this seems awesome. I wonder if games have to be whitelisted by nvidia to work with the RTX Remix Runtime.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
They go into RTX Remix on the website more, show Gothic, Oblivion, and some other games as well. It is a full blown 3d scene ripper. You can at any time export the current scene as a USD that will be loaded into the Remix Editor. from there you can place new light sources, adjust the ones in the scene, swap out materials and models to your heart's content. And then export that version of the scene as an RTX Remix modpack. That when loaded will dynamically swap out textures/materials and models with your new versions as they are told to be loaded. You can essentially replace the static geometry and materials of any dx8-9 game I think. Will be fun messing with it in V:TM:B when it comes out.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Yeah this seems awesome. I wonder if games have to be whitelisted by nvidia to work with the RTX Remix Runtime.

it reads like their intention is for it to work with any game of that era, i doubt there will be any whitelisting

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, right now id buy a 6800xt over a 3070 or 3080 and chances are Ill buy a 7800xt over a 4070 or 4080

Same. Big question is how AMD 6-series and even Nvidia 3-series prices are going to react to these prices. I suspect they'll go up or stop dropping since the new gen is so overpriced as to leave a vacuum pushing up those prices.

Is today going to be the low on existing gen for the next few months? Prices were dropping nicely, with 6800xts around $560 last I looked, but that trend may stop. Thanks, Nvidia.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 20, 2022

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

repiv posted:

it reads like their intention is for it to work with any game of that era, i doubt there will be any whitelisting

Yeah, but some games have cheat detection that maybe will ping off it if used. You can't reshade planetside2 for example. Which is a shame because I wanted to see how TF2 could be tweaked up as well.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
edit: ehhh I don't want my PMs to blow up, I will wait until I have a new card in hand :allears:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 20, 2022

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Gen 5 SSDs, new video cards, new AMD/Intel CPUS and chipsets, time to call the Chase and see if I can up my credit limit.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Still thinking on RTX Remix possibilities. How many emulators have a dx9 renderer available. There are some ps1 games that could be fun to see it try its best to make look better

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Wait, this seems like a way bigger deal than RTX alone. Like, a way bigger deal. Doesn't this open up a massive number of modding possibilities for games that were previously unmoddable?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

yeah even if ada is an overpriced snoozefest and most of us won't actually be able to use DLSS3 any time soon, we're going to get some sick rear end mods from RTX remix

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Do I understand correctly that this’ll also backdoor DLSS to old games?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Do I understand correctly that this’ll also backdoor DLSS to old games?

It only mentions dlss 3. By logic it means it should be able to support 2.0 since they use all the same inputs at a minimum. but doesn't mean Nvidia won't make dlss 3 only to make you buy a newer gpu.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

repiv posted:

it's been a staple of VR rendering for years, any time you miss vsync they extrapolate the last frame to the current frames head position to keep you from :barf:ing. AFAIK they even borrow the video encoders optical flow engine like nvidia is doing.

due to the artifacts it causes that's generally treated as a last resort though, not something you'd rely on all the time, which is probably why it didn't spread outside of VR until now with a (seemingly) better quality spin on the idea
Yeah, makes sense that it'd have found a home in VR where framerate > everything. It seemed so far along like ten years ago, so I guess I'd have expected more work on it before now.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Their Mount & Blade screenshot has the shadows acting like a single light source is in the middle of the shot

At least get your promo shots right nvidia

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So I see the RTX 4000 series cards have been announced. As a 3080 owner from launch day, is there anything worth getting here or should I go back to sleep and check on the next generation? I stopped paying attention when I got a 3080 before the worst of the shortages and scalping.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Video overview of RTX Remix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg52-HZhrFc

lih
May 15, 2013

Kraftwerk posted:

So I see the RTX 4000 series cards have been announced. As a 3080 owner from launch day, is there anything worth getting here or should I go back to sleep and check on the next generation? I stopped paying attention when I got a 3080 before the worst of the shortages and scalping.

absolutely not

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Kraftwerk posted:

Unless your pushing for 4k 120fps via DLSS 3 and are okay dropping over a thousand dollars you can go back to sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Going through steam looking at games I own that support dx9, funnily most also use dx11 so to make them look better you would load up the weaker renderer.

Stand outs from the list that I would love to mess with:

GTA4 - mostly everyday enviroment means the ai will probably ace it on it's own for material replacement.
FEAR
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
Burnout Paradise
Mass Effect, You can't make me buy the Legendary edition, I'll make my own legendary edition
Beyond Good and Evil
Mirror's Edge
Batman Arkham City
PAYDAY 2
METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE