Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/GrandPOOBear/status/1572260432924266496

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mellow_ posted:

IIRC this is because Microsoft(?) bought the company making the games or w/e and told Chris to gently caress off.

E: Oh wow I'm way behind on the thread.

but you are right to blame microsoft for everything.
without an evil publisher, freelancer would have been what star citizen will be.
the game to end all games.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Does CIG offer internships? posted:

Hello,
I have recently started my time at college to study Video Game development at a college in Austin Texas. The major requires a certain number of internship hours, primarily to help students build a portfolio and gain experience in the career. Throughout my time in the SC community I have always seen CIG as an appealing company to work for, and considering its close proximity to my campus I was wondering if CIG offered internships at the Austin office and if so, would it be possible for me to intern at CIG Austin at some point during my time in College? Since I have recently started, I am still learning about how the industry of video game development works and how the more precise fields within the industry work. Along with the classes I am taking I do have experience with certain areas of game development, primarily through a fair amount of tinkering with animation and art softwares and through doing modeling/map design as a part of a small indie team during a 2 week program. Even if you do not offer Internships or if I don't make the cut, I still genuinely respect all the hard work you put into Star Citizen at CIG.
Thanks

Kharan
Jun 28, 2005
Ned is dead

Talking from an indie dev perspective, that 500 million is kind of hard to understand. I could never spend that kind of money on any development.

I just released a VR game with a budget of 500k, which wound up ending at somewhere around 700k. This was on three platforms (Steam, PSVR and Quest) with crossplay multiplayer. I picked everyone on the team and even though I let the scope grow too much (adding MP, proc-gen mines, combat and story to the first game's simple arcade nature) and there were a lot of sleepless nights, it never felt like an impossible mission.

Next game's budget is 1.4 million euro and I'm left wondering how to spend all this money. But I guess the answer is obvious...

vitamins

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

What's your game again? Cave Digger 2?

Cause that game is good

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Have you tried building multiple offices staffed with hundreds of people across multiple continents before starting on your game?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

While I agree with the sentiment the constant negativity and trolling is not aimed at CIG, they know they can't affect development that way. They have no intention of engaging in constructive criticism. They been doing it for years, the same arguments for years despite the same replies with proof of progress year after year.

So why do they do it?
Boredom - they have no passions of their own, those they do have don't have nearly the same level of update and change. Why did so many streamers migrate from NMS and ED? Is it because they ran out of viewers? No, it was because they have virtually nothing new to talk about, the game play doesn't change, it is repetitive. Aside from a few talking heads they have little to no engagement with the teams making their 'dream game'. The thing they don't like about Star Citizen is that even in it's 'unfinished state' it is changing more rapidly, has more to engage people and holds more promise for the future. In short - content - the sort of content that brings in the viewers. Which of course brings more people to the project. More people just itching to showcase the game and it's possibilities.

The arguments don't change, the attitude doesn't change. They can't see a future because they don't have the imagination to see how it could even be possible. Therefore any evidence to the contrary is simply ignored or misrepresented.

Trolling - not CIG, they are trolling the community members who they see as responsible for enabling CIG. They can't and generally won't accept that the project is mainly driven by new people joining, they have been convinced for years that only a small core of 'cult followers' is responsible for keeping CIG afloat, no matter how crazy that seems to a reasonable person they firmly believe it to be the case, because at one time that was the case. The Star Citizen backer community did start out with a fervent small core of supporters who came from the forums of Chris Roberts older games. That's why they try to chip chip chip away at the community, to drive away those 'core' people - and the truth is they have been successful to a point, there are many who backed the project who no longer visit the forums because of the constant negativity.

How have they managed to be so 'successful' at this trolling? one of them gave it away, to an extent, above they accused a respondent of knowing how to talk to stay just inside the rules enough not to get moderated - you see these trolls are moderators and former moderators on other game sites and communities, they know how the system works. Some of them were 'big fish' in the little pond that was the original Star Citizen community - they insist there must be thousands of dupe account holders because that was what they did - they opened many dupe accounts to be able to troll the forums, they even used the benefits offered to backers by CIG that resulted in the grey market to fund burner accounts so they could troll in the game as well as in the forums. People have infiltrated their groups, I have, we know where they come from, but they know we can;t talk about the specifics because it's against these forum rules, so of course, we're just crazy to even suggest the notion.

To cut a long boring story short, and if you go to the places where they hang out you'll find the topics generally are crass and boring, these guys are a mixture of old disaffected members of this community that Chris Roberts wife refers to as 'Special Snowflakes'. They were big backers movers and shakers in the very early days, the ones used to getting their names mentioned on every show put out by CIG. Have you noted that nowadays the name of the person who asks a question never gets mentioned on video Q&A's? They are the reason why. They are also professional trollers who used to troll other games (have you noticed Eve Online seems to be talked about a lot lately? How they keep insisting Star Citizen will be the same as Eve Online?) and have now found they can do it here because it's the wild west and the systems aren't in place to deal with them yet. Who do you think went out there and recruited them to come to Star Citizen?

They are the types who are easily affected by the influencers, they become the hangers-on parroting the half-truth talking points, they know they'll get backup from their crew in a way 'normal' forum members won't, they know they'll get the high fives back in their own little corners of the web. There is a video of one of them admitting they only come to troll, and where they come from, but the moderators wouldn't even let me give the name or the episode, even though Chris wife Sandi gave an interview on a Youtube channel hosted by someone from that 'verboten' channel. These are not fools, they know how to play the game, and they know how to wear people down. The 'game' to them is getting a rise out of community members, it is to make the forums toxic so that people stay away...

..and that's the key, because if people stay away - they think - that means no viewers for the streamers and Youtubers, no experienced community members to inform and support the newcomers. That means the game is shown off less often, and streamers are doing them a favour when they highlight the trolling in the game, that means less people see the project and what it is becoming. They get into Streamers comment channels and turn them toxic, a warning - don't try to tackle us, it's not worth your trouble if you rely on a viewership. This is why stream sniping is taken so seriously by CIG.

It's nice to see new people in the trenches fighting the good fight, as I used to and still do occasionally, but ultimately it won't make a difference to them - a mountain of facts and argument won't change their approach or attitude, they've been doing it for years.

There are two things they just can't deal with...

1. The information on this Google Docs page: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

2. The enthusiasm of a community still willing to hope and dream enough to get out there on a daily basis in ever greater numbers and draw others in with that same enthusiasm and support. That's all you have to do, give the new people a positive experience and let the trolls see that they can't grind you down and drive you away. Pick up the gowns in the game, pull the trolleys away from blocking the spawn points. It doesn't matter whether anyone is right or wrong, it doesn't matter how forceful the arguments, as long as you are there and keep showing up - that's what they can't overcome. That's why they have such vehemence toward those of us who have been around years and years, who can refute their bullshit and FUD spreading, not to answer them since that is fairly pointless, no - it's to show those who haven't been around too long that the facts aren't as the perma-negative would like to insist they are.

Yes, it's been 10 years - why? Why should a game project take 10 years and so much money? They would have people believe Chris is skipping off with the dough on his yacht (even though he was a multi-millionaire in his own right semi-retired before he even started this project), or that a whole development team with literally hundreds of years experience between them have somehow gotten in on the idea of duping a whole gaming community, every single one of them incompetent they insist. Or could it be, just maybe, the scope of the project really is so huge that it actually takes 10+ years to make and that much money? The sort of time and money purely private investment wouldn't allow? That there really has never been anything like it before so they really can't do it the 'usual way', and it's unlikely there will be a project like it again for a very long time? Who put's out a partial playable alpha of a game of this scope to be added to ad infinitum free of charge once you have a game package for players to engage with?

We, as a community, gave future gamers something no-one else would even think to try, time and persistence of effort to make it happen.

It's not the money, those headlines come and go, it's the commitment. It's the promise to our future selves, we'll keep trying as long as we have the choice to do that.

Show them they can't drive you away, and they'll be eating their socks for years to come.

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 20, 2022

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
im definitely reading all of that

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

Well put

quote:

Well written and factual response.. thank you .

Kharan
Jun 28, 2005
Ned is dead

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

What's your game again? Cave Digger 2?

Cause that game is good

Yeah, that's us. That loving thing took 2 years of my life, so appreciate the kind words.

Popete posted:

Have you tried building multiple offices staffed with hundreds of people across multiple continents before starting on your game?

Back before Nokia died, it was such a chore to dev with the chinese, us having 2-3 hours of common time with them. Multi-region dev is an extremely foul idea.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Let me guess you probably started with a game engine that already did what you needed. Unlike Chris Roberts who had to write the compiler for his new 46 bit precision language C(hris)++

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Gobbling Crobber's Knobber for Dollars, I see.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kharan posted:

Back before Nokia died, it was such a chore to dev with the chinese, us having 2-3 hours of common time with them. Multi-region dev is an extremely foul idea.

quote:

By the workers not being all in one place, they have the capability for nearly 24/7 development. If they had an office in Australia, then they would possibly be able to keep on going around the clock.

Also, if people would pay attention to the videos, they have said they are pulling people off other tasks to focus on SQ42. They do not need yet another armchair general/quarterback trying to dictate what happens next.

It is nice not to have some boss wanting to make money for stockholders and demanding CIG ship the game NOW. We get a game with a lot of features and not some company deciding to cut out features and sell them to us later as Star Citizen II, III, and IV.

quote:

CIG if i'm not mistaken have three offices full of developers and because those offices are located in different timezones each work is passed to another office at workday end. So basically all development is constantly in progress and this mean that 3 years of development is equal to 9 years :) ... such thinking gives me hopes for squadron release in late 2016 or begining of 2017

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Kharan posted:

Talking from an indie dev perspective, that 500 million is kind of hard to understand. I could never spend that kind of money on any development.

I just released a VR game with a budget of 500k, which wound up ending at somewhere around 700k. This was on three platforms (Steam, PSVR and Quest) with crossplay multiplayer. I picked everyone on the team and even though I let the scope grow too much (adding MP, proc-gen mines, combat and story to the first game's simple arcade nature) and there were a lot of sleepless nights, it never felt like an impossible mission.

Next game's budget is 1.4 million euro and I'm left wondering how to spend all this money. But I guess the answer is obvious...

vitamins

Your problem is that you ended up releasing the game. Imagine how much it could cost if you never did that!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The myth of seamless development as one shift simply "passes along" their work to the next.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

BumbleOne posted:

but you are right to blame microsoft for everything.
without an evil publisher, freelancer would have been what star citizen will be.
the game to end all games.

Yeah, that's true. If Microsoft hadn't stepped in (or if they had just had faith in Chris Roberts and kept the funding going), right now we'd all be playing Freelancer. Well, we'd be playing a beta of Freelancer. Okay, we wouldn't be playing a beta of Freelancer, but we would be seeing some videos about the massive progress that's being made on Freelancer. All right, fine, we'd be seeing one video about it, and it would mostly be a bunch of unhealthy-looking fifty-year-old men talking about how they've spent their whole lives working on Freelancer and it's going to blow us all away when it's done. But maybe there'd be some screenshots of spaceships in that video, too.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

frak them anyways We are part of the most amazing huge monumental game in history. We as the sc community are living the history as it unfolds. That we are able no I say allowed to play the alpha and contribute to the end result. Well I feel honored. This games is full of new ai tech and gaming concepts that have yet to unfold. And we as citizens are a part of it. I embrace sc for its bugs and quarks. they are growing pains it has to crawl before it walks and then runs. And baby it will sore high. And we will take this journey into the greatest future together.

We choose to play Star Citizen Alpha In this decade and do other things. Not because they are easy, but because they are hard. Because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we’re willing to accept One we are unwilling to postpone. And therefore, as we set sail, we ask God’s blessing on the most hazardous and dangerous and greatest adventure that man has ever gone.

As we take this journey into the future I am humbled to take it with you my fellow Star Citizens.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I feel like piss cat wearing a monocle is always so close, though I didn't read all of that post I kind of veered away and spotted a few tokens.

I'm gonna go on a limb and assume he's a ghost here because it kind of feels that way, and I think he likes being That Guy. :)

Buy yourself an account it's only :10bux: and enjoy. There's people here who also play the game every now and then.

But I think him, maybe like many, misunderstand what a lot of the hubbub is about here. It's not about the game... well partially. The game itself is not doing well after 10 years in development, and more and more of the original promises keep getting walked back time and time again.

Also I'm not sure where the whole eve thing started... but I think people maybe talked about that for like 20 minutes 8 years or so ago when people had high hopes, and I think that was probably more in the house than outside it. Y'all's backers go kind of bonkers with expectations, or "dreams.txt" as it is referred to. :)

I'm not a backer though I did try a free fly once. I remember it fondly because the whole tutorial was telling me how to stealth kill and throw grenades when I couldn't even use an elevator in the hotel and there was nobody I could even attack much less be stealth killing. Apparently that tutorial is still in the game. But early days, right? :)

I'm also not a professional troll. I don't troll anyone or play any games really.

I hope the game meets your expectations and is great too.

So what do I like? Well, I like that despite cig constantly failing, constantly taking forever to rebrand common industry functionality and feed it to rubes like it's new technology, setting up this aura of "perfectionists" despite nothing they do being perfect (except for the art I suppose), and speaking of art... that is actually the only redeeming factor of the game itself.... and also how cig mistreats it's community (just like flagging people and calling them special snowflakes, etc), and this insatiable need for extracting money from people any way they can...

I'm here for the breaking point. :)

Which dumb thing will cig finally maybe do that finally upsets the player base? How much abuse will they finally take? When will the realize that cig isn't this scrappy indie company but is an international, multi-facility juggernaut built upon deceit, misinformation, and setting expectations they have no intention to actually meet... all so they can create a buzz and get more money. :)

How much blatant greed will it take before people see the field for what it is?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

ididmypart.gif

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

Why do I think Chris Roberts watched Cyberpunk 2077 crash and burn and thought to himself "you know the real mistake they made was releasing the game"?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Someone also needs to show me where people get this idea that cig is breaking technology borders with ai.

I'm not even sure how anyone can think that, unless they haven't played a game in 40 years or ever. :)

Cig is not:
* perfectionists in anything that is not space art
* not leading developers of any kind of ai

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I've been playing Xenoblade 3 lately and I feel like that game blows everything cig is doing out of the water in any way shape or form.

I can't even wrap my head around how CIGs staff could build something comparable. The only thing they would do is build a CryEngine world and 8K grass textures and 10M poly tents and it would run at 7FPS on a super computer, but nothing else would work in it at all.

A game isn't just artwork. :shrug:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Holy poo poo, wait, I've been dipping into this thread for months and thought the cat monocle avatar was just your way of marking the incoming quote as a screed from their forums.

That's all one loving person?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Also Xenoblade 3 runs on a switch. I can't even imagine cig having the talent it would take to develop something for the switch. :)

They don't know how to work within constraints. :)

Xenoblade is what you get when you have a genuinely talented team who are fully aware of what they want to achieve and the technology they have to achieve that goal on. That's where you get breakthroughs in technology and amazing stuff.

Cig is the polar opposite of that, with such inelegant solutions that it barely functions, is prone to a ridiculous number of constant errors, and virtually nothing in it is bug free. Meanwhile they hope technology will catch up to them. :)

The truth of that hope is that cig hopes technology will lap them so their bad designs will run faster and computers will eventually perform good enough that their bad programming will matter less.

Good luck. :)

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 20, 2022

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Squiggle posted:

Holy poo poo, wait, I've been dipping into this thread for months and thought the cat monocle avatar was your way of marking it as a screed from their forums.

That's all one person?

Yes. And when not posting about star citizen he has some less than appetizing tastes and really loves watersports. :)

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I can smell them now.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

The Titanic posted:

I've been playing Xenoblade 3 lately and I feel like that game blows everything cig is doing out of the water in any way shape or form.

I can't even wrap my head around how CIGs staff could build something comparable. The only thing they would do is build a CryEngine world and 8K grass textures and 10M poly tents and it would run at 7FPS on a super computer, but nothing else would work in it at all.

A game isn't just artwork. :shrug:

I mean, at this point Star Citizen doesn't even surpass an ubisoft game that came out years ago that people didn't even pay attention imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZG3qWRnx7c

That game had pretty alright space combat and let you go down onto planets in their dumb toys to life game that flopped. And when I see it I'm like if this was multiplayer and half persistent I'd be all over it. But instead, you know, bedsheets.

:sigh:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Cutedge posted:

I mean, at this point Star Citizen doesn't even surpass an ubisoft game that came out years ago that people didn't even pay attention imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZG3qWRnx7c

That game had pretty alright space combat and let you go down onto planets in their dumb toys to life game that flopped. And when I see it I'm like if this was multiplayer and half persistent I'd be all over it. But instead, you know, bedsheets.

:sigh:

Oh I played this on switch too. It was fun and you could get star fox, which just felt right for the game. :)

But yes... another switch game with planets and stuff and fun combat and actual ai that cig hasn't figured out yet.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I've been trying to track down an early clip of Star Citizen but my googling skills have failed me. It was an early clip, one of the first reveals of 1st player / 3rd player (???) action? I think they were showing off the first non-spaceship gameplay? The person demoing the game was exploring a space station, but was doing it really gung-ho fake space military style and yelling SERPENTINE SERPENTINE. Was this a fever dream of mine? Is this a thing? Can anyone help me find it?

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Squiggle posted:

Holy poo poo, wait, I've been dipping into this thread for months and thought the cat monocle avatar was just your way of marking the incoming quote as a screed from their forums.

That's all one loving person?

There is always more, and it is always worse :v:

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

I can never tell if these posts are coming from a child or a lead-brain addled adult.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dwesa posted:

Oh look, Citizen of the Stars is trending on :reddit:

Uh-oh

this went so viral it ended up invading my twitter feed which is nothing but trans e-girls and unfunny communists lol, good work whichever one of you this is (I forgot sorry)

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Cutedge posted:

Why do I think Chris Roberts watched Cyberpunk 2077 crash and burn and thought to himself "you know the real mistake they made was releasing the game"?

Oh, he (and CIG's superfans) definitely watched the controversy around CP2077 and thought, "Ah ha, now we have the perfect answer whenever anyone asks us why we haven't released any games." They're never going to willingly release anything, ever.

When the income starts to dry up, CIG might release something just to try and grab a last few dollars...if they have anything vaguely game-shaped at that point to release, which is a long shot. And it will not be good, and the superfans will gather around to blame each other (and all those perfidious naysaying FUDsters) for breaking the chain of infinite money = infinite development time = infinitely good game.

The Titanic posted:

Someone also needs to show me where people get this idea that cig is breaking technology borders with ai.

I think that's largely from the "charm" offensive a few years back where they let TonyZ sit in front of a heavily set-dressed whiteboard and ramble on about quanta for an hour or two and how they weren't just going to have monster closets and generic extras milling around, instead there would be a whole population simulation and all the floormoppers and bartenders would be changing jobs and going on vacations and making memories and also nobody would be able to tell them apart from real people and probably some of them would be hot local NPCs wanting to talk to commandos near them, too. The economy was going to be a simulation of supply and demand and worker productivity and resource management, not just a spreadsheet adding X amount of crates to supply or demand every ten minutes or so.

As this was the absolute heyday of NPCs standing on chairs or walking aimlessly into barstools, the backers ate all this imaginary bullshit up with a big spoon, and it's now an article of faith with them that the reason the AI sucks is because the servers just aren't fast enough yet. That's why enemies don't react to you and bartenders glitch out and NPCs still go full Dead Poets Society all over the place -- it's not that they've got bone-stupid AI, it's that they're actually too smart for the machine to handle. :rolleyes:

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Beexoffel posted:

I mean, look at that poo poo:

My guess is that there are so many "space ship in orbit of a planet" images thanks to CIG's numerous ship pictures from the store, as well as all their bland promo shots, that it gives a overwhelmingly powerful selection bias to Craiyon. Only competingly heavily selected for biases can compete like Star Citizen rubber duck or artist styles like Star Citizen H.R. Giger.

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 21, 2022

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FirmOrangeBird-mobile.mp4

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

The Titanic posted:

Y'all gonna be sorry when pixelemonade hits you with a hard hitting article of why this is a great thing. :)

God, this is just my favorite part of the Star Citizen saga. It's a shame it's barely bearly a footnote anymore.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.
I don't think about you at all*

except when I'm making memes about you cause I'm triggered by what you said about my game

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

I don't think about you at all*

except when I'm making memes about you cause I'm triggered by what you said about my game

quote:

You making this post speaks otherwise to the content of that meme...

quote:

If you've seen this episode, you'll know Don was thinking about him quite a lot, and was a tad jealous lol.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

JugbandDude posted:

Is this legit?

I remember the thread guy who would transcript CR’s ramblings, it was hilarious. But this is SC, so I am often unable to tell satire from reality.

That was Something Jones, not sure if it was from exposure to staring into the abyss for too long or what but his Velikovsky meltdown he bounced on sure came out of left field

Citizens used to get pretty notmad about his transcripts cause they were high fidelity crobertsisms full of umm errr ahhh, like ya know? heh err

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Some articles on larger websites were published eventually

Star Citizen Has Now Raised Over Half A Billion Dollars

This one is scathing:

quote:

Half a billion dollars. For a video game that has been in development for over a decade. Were this five years ago this is the point where I’d start questioning the game’s future, or wonder how close it is to being “finished”, or make some jokes. But it’s 2022, and the whole thing now is just...sad. They could have concluded a whole drat trilogy of these games by now if there had been an ounce of proper management, someone on the team able to separate the game’s unchecked ambition from what was technologically possible then, or even now.

Star Citizen has now raised more than half a billion dollars in crowdfunding

I like its sub-title:

Commandos were preparing for negative publicity and now they show the usual sign of coping with the actual negative publicity - "ackshually, it's good for Shart Fartizen"

Commando 1 posted:

Thing is, when someone who knows nothing about Star Citizen sees one of these articles, it always has some screengrabs or a video included. Problem is, Star Citizen looks pretty drat amazing, so then it piques everyone's morbid curiosity on how well orchestrated of a scam is this because there is no way it looks that good, and the "haha I'll go look into it because I'm a smart person and wouldn't fall for the scam". You spend enough time trying to find out how Star Citizen is a scam you eventually see a ton of people playing it, enjoying it, see that it does things no other game does and someone points out how you can buy everything in-game and the whole experience is less money than your standard AAA game......Then you join us.

The "lets watch a trainwreck" mentality just helps in these situations.

Commando 2 posted:

yup people hear the game is a scam and it sucks and then they go to look at gameplay of the game that made 500 million and next thing they know they are in game having fun.

Totally not just whales spite-pledging.

Also, that random minor spike in funding is already gone.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 21, 2022