Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

everyone loves dustin, the comic strip about an old man who makes observational humor from 2004
Honest Helen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Wanted to share the news

loving took long enough. Unless this is one of those "We have to make sure we have an air tight case so he can't sue us" kind of deals.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CzarChasm posted:

Wanted to share the news

loving took long enough. Unless this is one of those "We have to make sure we have an air tight case so he can't sue us" kind of deals.

He's leaving out an important part in order to pretend that The Man is cancelling him.

Lee Enterprises slashed the comics in the 77 newspapers it owns (including mine) to a B&W half page which is uniform across all properties. We're left with Garfield, Baby Blues, Peanuts reruns, Foob reruns, Pearls, Pickles, Crabgrass, and Luann. Everything else, including but very much not limited to Dilbert is "cancelled."

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

...that online animal is being funny right behind me, isn't he.

My Child's Passion For Murder Knows No Bounds Though She Has Learned To Not Be A Walking Ecological Instability, But Nevertheless She Is A Persistent Ravenous Horror

Next time: Rudy gets racially profiled.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

He's leaving out an important part in order to pretend that The Man is cancelling him.

Lee Enterprises slashed the comics in the 77 newspapers it owns (including mine) to a B&W half page which is uniform across all properties. We're left with Garfield, Baby Blues, Peanuts reruns, Foob reruns, Pearls, Pickles, Crabgrass, and Luann. Everything else, including but very much not limited to Dilbert is "cancelled."

you know what? cool.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Dying medium dies a little bit more; film at 11.

I've no particular sympathy for Scott Adams, but it's still always sad to see comics pages get slashed again.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

Wow - Crabgrass got through right as the door was slamming shut. Good for him!

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Arnold (May 28-June 3, 1984)

Bullwinkle

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Stultus Maximus posted:

My paper also. It doesn't affect me much because this thread is my comics page, but :capitalism:.

Scott Adams can get hosed, though.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Powered Descent posted:

Dying medium dies a little bit more; film at 11.

I've no particular sympathy for Scott Adams, but it's still always sad to see comics pages get slashed again.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

My paper also. It doesn't affect me much because this thread is my comics page, but :capitalism:.

Scott Adams can get hosed, though.

They're slowly doing to the papers what Clear Channel did to the radio. Anything that can be homogenized, centralized, and single-sourced will replace anything local and individualized.
I know Heart of the City isn't a thread favorite and I sure am not the target audience, but Steenz is a local and they got cut from their own local paper. gently caress media consolidation.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Stultus Maximus posted:

They're slowly doing to the papers what Clear Channel did to the radio. Anything that can be homogenized, centralized, and single-sourced will replace anything local and individualized.
I know Heart of the City isn't a thread favorite and I sure am not the target audience, but Steenz is a local and they got cut from their own local paper. gently caress media consolidation.

Aside from the homogenization of American newspapers under One World Corporate Government, what I'm going to be mourning is the loss of Friday and Saturday crossword puzzles. Working those is part of my weekend routine, and I'd bet they're seen as "not cost effective" by some boardroom prick in a suit.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Mark Trail is at a dangerous roadside zoo!

How will he ever survive the incredible peril of checks strip not knowing what buttons to press on a camera?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves

Apparently Into just decided to skip the town without saying goodbye to Kerttu who was his main girl for the last 400 strips.

You can't tie down a banjo man!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Stultus Maximus posted:

So maybe 3 comic strips?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So maybe 3 comic strips?

Previously, we had a full color page.
(Of course, when I was growing up we had a full color page, then a full B&W page, and half another B&W page, plus six full color Sunday pages)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

While it's bad news for comic strips as a whole, it is pretty good news specifically about Dilbert. I'm glad to hear Crabgrass made the cut.

Julet Esqu posted:

Credit where due moment. If this is her way of running it past her shady friend without actually accusing him, I approve.

Okay, never mind. I should just stop saying when things pleasantly surprise me. We can't have nice things.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True August 10, 1919

And He Did! August 25, 1919

Cat Tales July 24, 1925

Oaky Doaks January 15, 1937

Mopsy March 31, 1938

Sweatin’ It Out August 22, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems October 7, 1952

Those Were the Days July 19, 1962

Wee Pals October 8, 1966

Dogbert August 22, 1967

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
From Dana Simpson:

https://twitter.com/phoebeandheruni/status/1572407808410394625

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

When Adams does eventually address the context of this, he will claim he did not try to make this about himself, but people read intentions in his tweet that he did not have, thus it is everyone else's fault.

Slammy posted:

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

Wow :eyepop:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

One of the Dustin guys was complaining about this recently, and Jules has talked about it as well.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

howe_sam posted:

One of the Dustin guys was complaining about this recently, and Jules has talked about it as well.

I can't believe masterpieces like Dustin and Mark Trail might not make the cut!
What's next, 9CL?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
One of my locals dropped almost everything they were carrying for the new corporate-mandated one-size-fits-all format. Sally Forth, Judge Parker, Wallace The Brave, Zits...and, of course, the one done by the only cartoonist that matters to Scott Adams. Man's burning a lot of industry bridges today.

And yeah, it's another paper picked up for Crabgrass, but nooooo, not like this.

Anyway, I got so caught up in this stuff that you're getting a half portion tonight. Once again, my shabby work ethic is legendary.

Dok's Dippy Sword (Which Was Mightier Than Pen) (May 11, 1914)

Little Lefty, featuring the resolution of a deeply weird cliffhanger and the last cameo you were expecting tonight. (May 20-22, 1937)

Del (and the Worker, which never saw an industrial action it didn't like) is throwing support to one of the earliest animation studio strikes, when the Commercial Artists and Designers Union staged what would turn into a five-month walkout on the Fleischer Bros. studio. These days it's seen as a harbinger of the better-known (and much shorter) Disney strike of 1941, but the New York strike won the first union contracts in the industry, so attention should be paid. The year after the strikers came back to work, Max and Dave moved their studio to Florida, where the labor movement didn't have as much of a presence. Imagine that.

The picture in the JSOTR article is from the Worker, by the way. What the Depression-era Reds would say about it getting absorbed into a content licensing corporation like Getty is anybody's guess, but I have my suspicions.

Blondie From Zero (November 10-12, 1932)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 21, 2022

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

howe_sam posted:

I posted it upthread, but Rhymes with Orange has also been hit by the Lee comics cutback.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

:eyepop:

Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (October 14, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

what did he mean by this

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

fun hater posted:

what did he mean by this

What does Charles Boyce ever mean.
Like, I'm pretty sure the guy has never actually seen a computer before, but has only heard others talk about them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Julet Esqu posted:

Okay, never mind. I should just stop saying when things pleasantly surprise me. We can't have nice things.
Eh, for what it's worth, I'm reading this less as "Tiffany rightfully suspects Les" and more as "Les rightfully calls out Tiffany on suspecting him".

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Slammy posted:

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

Oof.

And while I'm not going to shed tears over Dustin, this cutback to other strips sucks on a general basis.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Oh man just wait till you guys see the next Funky strip :allears:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

https://twitter.com/phoebeandheruni/status/1572415461920501761?s=20&t=nHSZWLvtKocfdsZdVtZrKg
Wild

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I would love to see some data that proves that Dana "Raine Dog" Simpson outsells Marvel loving Comics.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kazinsal posted:

I would love to see some data that proves that Dana "Raine Dog" Simpson outsells Marvel loving Comics.

I assume she means that she outsells particular comics published by Marvel, not Marvel Comics as a whole. And she specified "graphic novel", which I assume is a specific segment of the total comic book market (although I have no idea what makes one a graphic novel and another not).

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I'm no fan of Scott Adams but the Lee Enterprises thing sucks. :(

Slammy posted:

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

Oof.

EasyEW posted:

Little Lefty, featuring the resolution of a deeply weird cliffhanger and the last cameo you were expecting tonight. (May 22, 1937)

Del (and the Worker, which never saw an industrial action it didn't like) is throwing support to one of the earliest animation studio strikes, when the Commercial Artists and Designers Union staged what would turn into a five-month walkout on the Fleischer Bros. studio. These days it's seen as a harbinger of the better-known (and much shorter) Disney strike of 1941, but the New York strike won the first union contracts in the industry, so attention should be paid. The year after the strikers came back to work, Max and Dave moved their studio to Florida, where the labor movement didn't have as much of a presence. Imagine that.

The picture in the JSOTR article is from the Worker, by the way. What the Depression-era Reds would say about it getting absorbed into a content licensing corporation like Getty is anybody's guess, but I have my suspicions.

I guess the animation industry has always been poo poo to their workers.

Vintage Valiant (May 17, 1953)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
lmao at Jules trying to slip in that Trail with its clear laziness is getting over any quality standards. I'd say I'm surprised Luann made the cut but at least the art in that one is consistently decent.

I'd believe anything outsells Marvel comics. Comics have been dying for awhile.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
YA graphic novels sell bucket loads because they can sell direct to schools and other places superhero comics get little respect. Raina was outselling a lot of the general book market for a good few years, dunno if she still does.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 9/20/02

Brenda Starr 7/3/49

Smokey Stover 3/26/50

Everyday Movies 8/5/35

"In my day it was different -- now they're prouder of how many fellows are stuck on them at once, than how long they can hold on to one fellow."

Bonus news story!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

AND his stupid haircut, don't forget that, narrator.