Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

The worst part about not having a dog is needing to vacuum up crumbs once more.

But the trade-off is vacuuming up hair though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Get mice

They'll use the hair to line their nest

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
BBC has an article about when kids should get a phone:

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220914-whats-the-right-age-to-get-a-smartphone

quote:

There are still many unanswered questions on the long-term effects of smartphones and social media on children and teenagers, but existing research provides some evidence on their main risks and benefits.

In particular, while there is no overarching evidence showing that owning a phone or using social media is harmful to children's wellbeing in general, that may not tell the full story. Most research so far focuses on adolescents rather than younger age groups – and emerging evidence shows there may be specific developmental phases where children are more at risk from negative effects.

What's more, experts agree on several key factors to consider when deciding if your child is ready for a smartphone – and what you should do once they own one.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I am one million years old and I do not want my children to have phones

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

get a job at ebgames when you're 17 and buy a motorola razr like your old man did

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

All these kids with their newfangled chalkboards, erasing and rewriting things. It's gonna rot their brains!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

bitmap posted:

I am one million years old and I do not want my children to have phones

I don't even want my own phone.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

are all those...horrific internet snuff videos still just as easy to watch online these days? im here frowning at the idea of my two year old ever owning a phone and internally dodging the memory of standing around at 14 years old with ten other kids at a lan party watching a man put his whole head into a womans vagina and then cleansing our palette with a light video of a russian soldier having his head sawn off with an old knife

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I'm glad that as a squeamish person I only ever saw stuff like tubgirl, goatse, and lemon party.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Roblox groomers everywhere pore over this article for clues

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

bitmap posted:

are all those...horrific internet snuff videos still just as easy to watch online these days? im here frowning at the idea of my two year old ever owning a phone and internally dodging the memory of standing around at 14 years old with ten other kids at a lan party watching a man put his whole head into a womans vagina and then cleansing our palette with a light video of a russian soldier having his head sawn off with an old knife

youtube made their kids app that requires vids to be whitelisted to be viewable so its harder to get the hosed up poo poo but theres still a ton of garbo stuff that isnt sexual/violent on there like toy opening and other materialist stuff

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

A couple years ago some journalists drew attention to the weird AI-produced nonsense videos that exploit the recommendation algorithm that youtube (and the kids app) uses by just being popular search terms cobbled together. They are not overtly violent or sexual or whatever but definitely not kid suitable.

there's even a TED talk about it

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Kitfox88 posted:

I'm glad that as a squeamish person I only ever saw stuff like tubgirl, goatse, and lemon party.

The BME pain olympics and the the dude with the jar up his rear end are still with me as intrusive thoughts today

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Back in my day, you had to walk to the non-brand video store and rent Faces of Death on VHS and that was the way we liked it!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I remember seeing weird ogrish poo poo like dude's hammering their dicks on cacti or whatever but I think that was college

Honestly more worried about my kid growing up wanting to be an influencer than that poo poo.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ehh influencer is probably better than other showbiz. at least they are safe at home.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
[img-nikocado.jpg]

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

bitmap posted:

The good news is that there are lots of great tools out that to make it much, much more difficult for your kids to find horrible poo poo on the internet. It is a ton of work as a parent and the biggest challenge with kids and electronics is more frequent and easier access to their equally hormonal and assholish preteen friends who can share awful stuff with them or just reinforce their bad ideas outside of school.

My 12 year old got her first phone about two years ago so that she could freely talk to her birth mom and other family members during quarantined. The phone has been confiscated for her doing bad poo poo with it or because of it more than she’s had it. Yesterday, we made the decision to take it away entirely for another year or so because she’s at peak puberty bad decisions and just can’t stop making bad choices with it.

YouTube, TikTok, and streamers are brainpoison for kids and gently caress them up more than I think rotten or whatever else hosed me up as a teen. It only took a few weeks of my kid having heavily filtered YouTube access for me to realize any access is bad. There are so many creators that make videos that don’t break any content guidelines and are technically appropriate for kids but just teach them bad things. I was playing whackamole with blocking videos for a few weeks before I just disabled anything but phone calls.

Chad Sexington posted:

Honestly more worried about my kid growing up wanting to be an influencer than that poo poo.

Yeah, they all want to do this now and it’s maddening.

Saltpowered has issued a correction as of 22:40 on Sep 20, 2022

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Chad Sexington posted:

I remember seeing weird ogrish poo poo like dude's hammering their dicks on cacti or whatever but I think that was college
That's exactly why I never joined a frat.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Unboxing vids/influencer poo poo/grindset mentality/etc poo poo are loving nightmares and basically raising a child today is a hellish endeavor steeped in nightmares.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

my kid watches recordings of people who stream BOTW or Mario odyssey mods and he definitely says poo poo in a weird British accent for no reason sometimes.

i had to ask him to stop saying missiles with a long I because it was breaking my fuckin brain.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Our youngest is almost 2 and he is not really eating solid foods. He has some good days but he'll usually just play with it and pick at it. It's frustrating for me because when my wife is out and I have the boys, he eats! I try to have food available and we try different things. I had some luck having his older brother offer him food. We are setting up an appointment tomorrow. I didn't realize how bad it was until I put him on the scale and didn't see much weight gain. How worried should I be?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

as someone with a kid who had to severely limit his dietary intake as an infant, just know that when you do land on something that he will reliably eat that has actual substance to it, it's completely okay if that is like 95% of their diet.

my son eats almost exclusively one thing and it is absolutely better than him not eating at all.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Greg Legg posted:

Our youngest is almost 2 and he is not really eating solid foods. He has some good days but he'll usually just play with it and pick at it. It's frustrating for me because when my wife is out and I have the boys, he eats! I try to have food available and we try different things. I had some luck having his older brother offer him food. We are setting up an appointment tomorrow. I didn't realize how bad it was until I put him on the scale and didn't see much weight gain. How worried should I be?

My 4yo still doesn't eat consistently, basically anything but tomatoes, and he's in like the 3rd percentile for weight...and he's still healthy and developing and the pediatrician tells us he's healthy.

Hard to not worry, can't help you with that tbh

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Thanks folks. I'll keep trying.

[quote="DR FRASIER KRANG"
post="526412503"]
my son eats almost exclusively one thing and it is absolutely better than him not eating at all.
[/quote]

Especially this! It's what I needed to hear.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Greg Legg posted:

strap in, wifes gonna contradict everything you think is correct parenting. its the way of things and really is it worth a fight? the boy will thrive on gogurt

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I think the reason he eats when she's not here is because when she's here he wants milk.

e: he also ate a bunch of peanut butter. I am less worried.

Greg Legg has issued a correction as of 00:44 on Sep 21, 2022

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

silvergoose posted:

My 4yo still doesn't eat consistently, basically anything but tomatoes, and he's in like the 3rd percentile for weight...and he's still healthy and developing and the pediatrician tells us he's healthy.

Hard to not worry, can't help you with that tbh

My 4yo eats all his calories on pasta night and pizza night and bitches every other night. Kid, I'd make something you like every night if you liked more than 2 things!

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I really made the mistake of buying Dino chicken. kid won’t even entertain normal breaded chicken.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
my kid likes to use french fries primarily as a ketchup scoop

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

When I was a wee lad I'd skip that entirely and just eat ketchup straight out of the McDonald's packets or from my fingers. Also would routinely have ketchup on white bread.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

My 2yo was doing that with his tacos instead of using his potatoes.

My 4yo hates the smell of tacos and won't enter the room on taco night.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

PerniciousKnid posted:

My 4yo eats all his calories on pasta night and pizza night and bitches every other night. Kid, I'd make something you like every night if you liked more than 2 things!

No, see, he won't consistently even eat pasta! It's ridiculous!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Kitfox88 posted:

Unboxing vids/influencer poo poo/grindset mentality/etc poo poo are loving nightmares and basically raising a child today is a hellish endeavor steeped in nightmares.

[C-SPAM Parents] a hellish endeavor steeped in nightmares

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Saltpowered posted:

brainpoison for kids

so I guess I just have to be a total internet tyrant? lock everything down and vet each youtuber individually? that stinks for my kids but i dont see another option

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

surrender is always an option

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

bitmap posted:

so I guess I just have to be a total internet tyrant? lock everything down and vet each youtuber individually? that stinks for my kids but i dont see another option

Yeah, I just block youtube. It wasn't worth the trouble to do anything else.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Microplastics posted:

[C-SPAM Parents] a hellish endeavor steeped in nightmares

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
my kid tried to get away with an obvious falsehood this week, and I said (not meanly) "so, just how stupid do you think I am, exactly?" and she thought for a second and said "twenty thousand percent!"

:allears:

wife is heading to a wedding this weekend so I will be solo dad tomorrow (and building a Corsi for her return, ha); my sister is coming on Sat night so that should be fun though we may not get to hang out too much because she tends to fall asleep along with the 5 year old usually (a thing I also often do when I read her to sleep -- "classic" Nancy Drew knocked her out after like 5 pages last night and when I put it down I thought gently caress it and fell asleep myself until she started kicking me repeatedly in her sleep at 1030.

Only my second weekend alone with both kids since kiddo 2 was born, I am glad my sister is coming because the first time was pretty chaotic and the kids watched more TV than I really like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Oh I spoil the gently caress outta them when my wife leaves town. Eat weird food on the couch, watch hella movies, work on art projects. Then we go nuts cleaning the night before she comes back. It's nice! I remember my dad would make us steak and eggs for breakfast on the rare occasion my mom got a vacation.

If I feel like we are doing too much screen time I get a big piece of wood or cardboard and paint, if it's big enough that's a solid afternoon