Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think cheap is still a stretch but definitely not crypto boom prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Thundarr posted:

Hey, at least video cards are cheap now!

Verified fresh from the manufacturer or "we swear this is new and not something that was run within an inch of its life on a mining rig"?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I can't wait to play Final Fantasy 14, a whimsical fantasy RPG where adventure awaits. Oh no! I thought this'd be a cool story about giant robots, like Gundam! Instead it's about the horrors of war, like Gundam!

Enormous Spoilers, Weapon Storyline:

HAH EAT poo poo PAL!! oh god oh gently caress oh poo poo he came back! OH, IT'S THE MUSIC

YEAH! YEAH!

OH YEAH! EAT poo poo VALENS!! Hahahaha those sound effects. Like a grape.

Oh... oh, it's raining now...

Just a light-hearted story about a father executing his son...

Here I thought it was a blue checkmark leading to another delightful set of extra raid encounters and Yoshi P goes and does this to me, leaving my mighty heart breaking.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Doomykins posted:

I can't wait to play Final Fantasy 14, a whimsical fantasy RPG where adventure awaits. Oh no! I thought this'd be a cool story about giant robots, like Gundam! Instead it's about the horrors of war, like Gundam!

Enormous Spoilers, Weapon Storyline:

HAH EAT poo poo PAL!! oh god oh gently caress oh poo poo he came back! OH, IT'S THE MUSIC

YEAH! YEAH!

OH YEAH! EAT poo poo VALENS!! Hahahaha those sound effects. Like a grape.

Oh... oh, it's raining now...

https://youtu.be/myJesB_YOg4

Just a light-hearted story about a father executing his son...

Here I thought it was a blue checkmark leading to another delightful set of extra raid encounters and Yoshi P goes and does this to me, leaving my mighty heart breaking.

https://youtu.be/myJesB_YOg4

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

lmfao

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bruceski posted:

Verified fresh from the manufacturer or "we swear this is new and not something that was run within an inch of its life on a mining rig"?

"Actually MSRP" is cheap compared to, uh, the last 7 or 8 years I guess?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Bless you I needed that after the memories scene at the memorial.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My favorite one of those was when he loaded up the MTQcapture visual guide

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My favorite one of those was when he loaded up the MTQcapture visual guide

Yeah that one is *astounding*

Griz
May 21, 2001

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I think cheap is still a stretch but definitely not crypto boom prices.

i have a 1060 and can run the game on max settings, it's really not that demanding

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Don't shame G'raha Tia for being a homewrecker; shame him for the far more lore-appropriate offense of trying to get his bone on without defeating his dad or uncle in single combat first

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Antivehicular posted:

Don't shame G'raha Tia for being a homewrecker; shame him for the far more lore-appropriate offense of trying to get his bone on without defeating his dad or uncle in single combat first

No he doesn't have to defeat his dad or uncle, he has to move to another tribe and beat their dad and/or uncle.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Oh, okay, the Seekers do practice male exogamy? That makes everything make more sense, insofar as the whole setup makes any sense at all

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Tias may either defeat the existing Nunh, or move out of the village to claim new territory for the tribe and become a Nunh of that region.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
p. sure none of that stuff actually matters outside of the seeker-only villages we see

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Clearly the tragedy of G'raha Tia is that his period of plausibly being able to claim Nunh-hood was all on the First, where nobody knew or cared about any of this poo poo, and also having a grotty old crystal body by the time the WoL showed up

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

p. sure none nunh of that stuff actually matters outside of the seeker-only villages we see

:colbert:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
it doesn't matter but it's funny so it actually does matter

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I love how much the whole Nunh/Tia stuff reads like the writers wanting to have an unusual social structure, and then realizing they made it too horny and backpeddling as much as they can.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I think they originally invented it to justify having no playable male miqo'te, threw in some lion pride dynamics, and by the time someone went "wait is this kinda weird" it was already unleashed upon the world.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

Clearly the tragedy of G'raha Tia is that his period of plausibly being able to claim Nunh-hood was all on the First, where nobody knew or cared about any of this poo poo, and also having a grotty old crystal body by the time the WoL showed up

I think they address him still having a claim on the Crystal Tower at least, but he's also a bit beyond caring at this point because he gets to go on rad adventures with all the heroes he idolizes, and you in particular.

He's living his best life.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
They’ve had 2 whole areas with a sunseeker tribe, one as late as stormblood so I don’t think they’re backpedaling much

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah wait how are they backpeddling

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Backpeddling by starting with the strongest male being the leader and the only one allowed to gently caress, and then going "No, no, its not really a harem fantasy, these are all strong independent women who don't need no man."

It works fine, its just amusing.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I mean, that's what the original thing was though. It's never been the male is the leader (in fact oddly enough the tribes we directly interact with in game are strange BECAUSE the male is the primary leader).

Clarification of details isn't really backpedalling.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Countblanc posted:

it doesn't matter but it's funny so it actually does matter

I love the one guy who in order to get stronger to take on the current Nuhn asks you to chuck grenades at him.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It seems like these villages would kind of cap out population wise not far from what we actually see in the game (with implicit scampering mi'qittens in the area that are not shown) if only because at a certain point the nunh would be exhausted. So I imagine a lot of nunhs are just moving over like ten miles or something, if possibly into territory that is full of monsters who ate his uncle's family.

Alternately we have yet to reach Sal Tlay Ksiti, ancient seat of the U tribe

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So what happens when the sun cats get through the entire alphabet or can there be multiple tribes of the same letter?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Electric Phantasm posted:

So what happens when the sun cats get through the entire alphabet or can there be multiple tribes of the same letter?

aa, bb, cc, dd

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I love the one guy who in order to get stronger to take on the current Nuhn asks you to chuck grenades at him.

"What? I SWEAR that one didn't have any gunpowder in it!"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

There's more than one alphabet.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Я'shtola

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

And then the follow up quest, where you throw bombs at him AGAIN.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

YggiDee posted:

I think they originally invented it to justify having no playable male miqo'te, threw in some lion pride dynamics, and by the time someone went "wait is this kinda weird" it was already unleashed upon the world.
And then for mooncat just lifted the backstory of some random FFXII race because it's fine, it's not like there's Viera in Eorzea, no one will notice.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Suncats probably have the most specific lore about their culture than any player tribe after Xaela

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I want to go to a Hellsguard village with the oldest siblings who didn't get sent away and still have their weird Roegadyn names.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Chillgamesh posted:

Suncats probably have the most specific lore about their culture than any player tribe after Xaela

We actually know quite a lot about Viera lore. It's just not really front and centre at any point the way Suncats are.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

There are exactly as many Seeker tribes as there are letters in the Eorzean alphabet and suncats believe this to be divine fate. Also a Tia will occasionally stop off and form his own tribe with blackjack and hookers and when that happens the splinter tribe uses two letters instead of one. Splinter tribes usually collapse because Tia's who can't beat up the local Nuhn usually can't convince anyone to come with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Lord_Magmar posted:

We actually know quite a lot about Viera lore. It's just not really front and centre at any point the way Suncats are.

:goonsay: ACKSHUALLY most of that lore is about the Viis and therefore not a player tribe