Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Ostensibly, both of us. Maybe this is a detail I'm ignorant of. The whole idea is that we have terms we've agreed on written in 'not lawyer' language, and we want to hire a lawyer to do whatever it takes to make that legal in addition to guiding a conversation around anything we might have missed.

You said each of you could afford to buy it, but this way you're in debt less. Paying off your mortgage more quickly is not a great reason to entangle your financial life with another person.

You could probably go visit the homebuying thread if you want more forums to tell you it's a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Representation doesn’t work like that . She (the lawyer ) has to represent one of you only .

I suppose there are ways the lawyer could devise ethics waivers around it but now you are signing ethics waivers so what does that tell you

Roger that - this is a good bit of info.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

There is a nonzero chance that this experience ends in a real doozy of an E/N thread - I'm keenly aware.

Meanwhile the chance that it won’t is exactly zero.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

Meanwhile the chance that it won’t is exactly zero.

I'll make a spicy thread when it blows up.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Curiosity/bar exam question: For which of the following is it ethical to have a single lawyer represent multiple associated humans and why?

- A married couple
- A registered civil union couple
- An unmarried couple that has cohabited for 20 years
- An unmarried couple that has has been together for 6 months, where both people say it is a like-marriage relationship
- A polycule of 6 people who have been together for a long time
- A polycule of 6 people who have been together for a short time
- Siblings
- Parent and child

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Foxfire_ posted:

Curiosity/bar exam question: For which of the following is it ethical to have a single lawyer represent multiple associated humans and why?

- A married couple
- An unmarried couple that has has been together for 6 months, where both people say it is a like-marriage relationship
- Siblings
- Parent and child

Are they adverse to each other?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Lets say they're like Canine Blue Aroos and want to buy a house where everybody has some legal right to the property.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Foxfire_ posted:

- A married couple
- Siblings
- Parent and child

Wanna see a parent/child ethics waiver form.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

I'll make a spicy thread when it blows up.

I really love drama and can't wait to read it but why not just buy two moderately sized homes in the same town in the middle of nowhere instead?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Representation doesn’t work like that . She (the lawyer ) has to represent one of you only .

I suppose there are ways the lawyer could devise ethics waivers around it but now you are signing ethics waivers so what does that tell you

It means you can sleep with the lawyer now

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CongoJack posted:

I really love drama and can't wait to read it but why not just buy two moderately sized homes in the same town in the middle of nowhere instead?

The very, very brief synopsis is that we both have goals that involve having a shitload of space. The house is about 8,000sq ft. - We want to be able to build out some stuff that just doesn't work without some very big rooms: We want a workshop, and a gaming room / lab. We want to be able to host our friends and have the space to support that and bedrooms to serve as lodging if needed. We often work on projects together (both personally and professionally) and having the ability to do so in person as an option is attractive. Having two incomes can also accelerate this process a great deal. There is a laundry list of minor to moderate selling points here as well for co-ownership, and I'm glossing over details.

We are both extremely aware that this can go south. We are pretty committed to writing up a contract for that reason, not because we don't think we couldn't negotiate a split fairly in the good times, but because we agree we need a legal fallback in the bad. I do think our situation is somewhat unique in that there isn't a lot of financial or familial pressures here.

But yeah, I'm not ignorant of the downsides and potential friction that could come from this, and you can hold me to a story if/when it blows up.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Yesterday the Country Sheriff (I'm in NH) pulled into my neighbor's driveway and was carrying one of those manila envelopes. My neighbor is an rear end in a top hat that doesn't clean up his trash so I'm hoping he gets evicted foreclosed on by the bank. Is it common for lawyers to use the Sheriffs department to for summons or does this mean he's getting foreclosed on by the bank? :perjury:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The very, very brief synopsis is that we both have goals that involve having a shitload of space. The house is about 8,000sq ft. - We want to be able to build out some stuff that just doesn't work without some very big rooms: We want a workshop, and a gaming room / lab. We want to be able to host our friends and have the space to support that and bedrooms to serve as lodging if needed. We often work on projects together (both personally and professionally) and having the ability to do so in person as an option is attractive. Having two incomes can also accelerate this process a great deal. There is a laundry list of minor to moderate selling points here as well for co-ownership, and I'm glossing over details.

We are both extremely aware that this can go south. We are pretty committed to writing up a contract for that reason, not because we don't think we couldn't negotiate a split fairly in the good times, but because we agree we need a legal fallback in the bad. I do think our situation is somewhat unique in that there isn't a lot of financial or familial pressures here.

But yeah, I'm not ignorant of the downsides and potential friction that could come from this, and you can hold me to a story if/when it blows up.

How about I sign on as well and instead of two people in an 8,000 square foot house we have 3 in a 12,000 square footer? I got a killer home theater setup and VR room and gym equipment and stuff.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

bird with big dick posted:

How about I sign on as well and instead of two people in an 8,000 square foot house we have 3 in a 12,000 square footer? I got a killer home theater setup and VR room and gym equipment and stuff.

Could they do a 'last survivor' contract where whoever occupies the longest owns the whole thing?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

daslog posted:

Could they do a 'last survivor' contract where whoever occupies the longest owns the whole thing?

go full tontine

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

FWIW I think this sounds cool and you sound like you both have your heads on straight. Getting it all hashed out and written up in a contract is the right approach. But yeah, you'll each need your own lawyer.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bird with big dick posted:

We'll put another floor on top of the existing top floor where you can live and we'll call it the bird house.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Canine Blues just make sure that both of you understand that you do not have the right to force a sale of the entire house if/when you want to get your money out, without the consent of the other party, unless you're willing to go to court to force it (and a judge agrees of course). That will be costly and take a lot of time and of course it will destroy your personal relationship.

Provided you both are fully aware that the other person can prevent you from easily cashing out of your stake, you're OK. Like really seriously internalize not that the other person is your bud and will of course agree to sell when you want to; but rather that the other person might feel like now is not the right time of the market or something and can say "no" and you're stuck continuing to make payments etc.

If the other party doesn't want to sell the property, you're left with trying to sell your share. Good luck with that. The population of people quite interested in owning 50% of a residential house that already has some stranger living in it is low. You can expect this situation to also gently caress the value of your ownership stake compared to nominal market values at the time.

Even if you write on paper that you both agree that either of you can force a sale, that may or may not be legally enforceable (I'm not sure, so you should ask your lawyer who you will hire to represent you in this deal). Naturally all of the above is subject to particular state laws so don't take my word for it. I'm not a lawyer, I'm just familiar because my stepdad has entered into a TIC with a buddy of his on the home he and my mom are now living in in Colorado, they have a "friendly agreement" scrawled on a scrap of paper, and my stepdad did not consult with a lawyer, so I've been reading up on all the ways in which they're being loving stupid (his buddy is a retired real estate agent! he should know better! he probably does!)

Also guess what happens if one of you goes into bankruptcy or has a judgement against them. Or if someone is injured on your shared property as a result of negligence by your partner, which you did not even know about. Or what happens when one of you dies. LOL

So you just need to understand that the money you put into this could be far more difficult to get back out than even the normally illiquid status of residential real estate, and that you are in all kinds of legal hazard that your specific TIC contract mostly can't get you out of.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Have you ever lived in the same house or apartment with this person? If so how long?

If not go move into their place right now, or them to yours. Just for the love of God try roommates first if you haven't.

Maybe they slurp soup. Just every loving spoonful sllluuuurrrrrrppppp sluuuurrrp clink ssllllluuuuuuuuurrrpp.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

You can expect this situation to also gently caress the value of your ownership stake compared to nominal market values at the time.
:galaxybrain: Once you are old enough that you plan to die there, reduce your property taxes by gifting a 10% stake of your house to a relative who lives on the other side of the country.

Leperflesh posted:

Even if you write on paper that you both agree that either of you can force a sale, that may or may not be legally enforceable
Even if it is perfectly lawyerly drawn up and legally enforceable, plan for actually enforcing it to be multiple thousands expensive and take months, while the other person wrecks stuff out of spite.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

We are failing to consider this could be act 1 of a romantic comedy and they're going to get married in this giant house.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Trapick posted:

We are failing to consider this could be act 1 of a romantic comedy and they're going to get married in this giant house.

MPRE question: can the lawyers they hire take a cut of the royalties of the inevitable rom com novel and/or show as their compensation?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Muir posted:

MPRE question: can the lawyers they hire take a cut of the royalties of the inevitable rom com novel and/or show as their compensation?

He could have, but the roommate secured the rights to derivative works during the third round of negotiations, in exchange for use of the Man Cave on alternating Tuesdays.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Muir posted:

These questions are why you get title insurance.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No you can’t represent business partners

IRRC

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Muir posted:

No, but unless you signed something assigning ownership of the work to them, they don't own whatever you made.

So if a compny then goes to use that work they've used my IP without permission?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Azuth0667 posted:

So if a compny then goes to use that work they've used my IP without permission?

Whether you have any IP protections that cover the work you did will very much depend on what kind of work it was.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

daslog posted:

Yesterday the Country Sheriff (I'm in NH) pulled into my neighbor's driveway and was carrying one of those manila envelopes. My neighbor is an rear end in a top hat that doesn't clean up his trash so I'm hoping he gets evicted foreclosed on by the bank. Is it common for lawyers to use the Sheriffs department to for summons or does this mean he's getting foreclosed on by the bank? :perjury:

Sheriffs sometime serve summons for lawsuits, citations for code violations, and other notices. Bank foreclosure notices *typically come in the mail, but NH may have certain rules

You can usually search County + Foreclosures and look and see if the county has his property listed.

You can also search court cases sometimes and see if his name appears in a civil or criminal case.

But if the sheriff is serving him papers, it's probably not a good thing.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Are y’all loving?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EwokEntourage posted:

Are y’all loving?

Neg.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

We'll put another floor on top of the existing top floor where you can live and we'll call it the bird house.

No dice. In order to do this, you'll need a specialist in bird law and since bird law in this country is not governed by reason, the only lawyer competent to handle it lives in Philadelphia and never leaves that city.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

A few years ago the CIA released the contents of Osama bin Laden's hard drive. They redacted anything violating copyright like the FFVII installation. I think at the time I download the contents from this CIA.gov page and couldn't find the save file.

I'm curious again how far he got in FFVII. What kind of lawyer do you need to help file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request? One could argue the save file is not covered by copyright.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 21, 2022

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s unlikely that hard drive ever existed but go nuts .

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

euphronius posted:

It’s unlikely that hard drive ever existed but go nuts .

What do you mean? Is that cia.gov webpage is a hoax?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Waiting to consult with a lawyer on whether you should?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

What do you mean? Is that cia.gov webpage is a hoax?

Is this a rhetorical question ?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Euphronius has spent too much time in c-spam.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

euphronius posted:

Is this a rhetorical question ?
No, I don't understand what you mean. Like it's right there for anyone to download. It was news back when it happened. I assumed it is legit.

I'd like to know what kind of legal professional could help a US citizen file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A FOIA lawyer .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

No, I don't understand what you mean. Like it's right there for anyone to download. It was news back when it happened. I assumed it is legit.

I'd like to know what kind of legal professional could help a US citizen file a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request.

Muckrock.com has extensive info.