Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bill Decker posted:

Yep, I know how it's meant to work :) But it's now syncing saves to a PC that has never had the corresponding game installed, which I don't think it's supposed to do and I've never seen before today. I can literally quit a game on PC 1 and watch the saves files appear on PC 2 where the game has never been installed. Not really a problem but pretty odd.

I have the same issue, every now and then Steam decides to download my Fallout 4 saves to my potato laptop which couldn't even run F4. It doesn't seem to break anything to just delete them, but it's annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

are fallout 4 saves particularly huge or the remaining space on your laptop very small because it seems like that's just a lot of wasted effort on your part instead of just leaving them there

anyway someone said

Syves posted:

Can shut it off globally in settings>cloud.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

are fallout 4 saves particularly huge or the remaining space on your laptop very small because it seems like that's just a lot of wasted effort on your part instead of just leaving them there

anyway someone said

It's about a gig on a 100-something GB drive, so roughly a small footprint game's worth? :shrug: I said it's a potato. And if I turn off cloud saves, then it doesn't copy them to the cloud, when I would prefer it did back them up in case an F4 capable computer decided to poo poo the bed for some reason. That's the reason for the cloud, I always assumed.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

assuming you meant you had 100 gigs free i definitely feel like getting rid of one gigs worth of files is you being way too precious about your hard drive space, but since you said a 100GB drive i imagine you meant that a lot of it is filled up already

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

assuming you meant you had 100 gigs free i definitely feel like getting rid of one gigs worth of files is you being way too precious about your hard drive space, but since you said a 100GB drive i imagine you meant that a lot of it is filled up already

Yes, a 100 GB drive, and the OS and programs eat up a lot of it already. A weird situation these days I suppose, but it's not meant to be a gaming PC anyway.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I succumbed and bought vampire survivors before the price increase, but I doubt I'll like it once I play it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vampire Survivors owns

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

can you tell me anything about this one? what do you like about it? i added ghost train and inscryption to my wishlist, thx

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I succumbed and bought vampire survivors before the price increase, but I doubt I'll like it once I play it.

Nah, you will. It's just fun. Nothing to dislike.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Vampire Survivors is like freebasing video games. One of the best $3 I ever spent.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

me: kills a bat
me: gets a gem
me: i'd like to do this forever for some reason

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

idk how I manage to be bad at a game that literally plays itself but I have never come even close to beating a stage of VS; I genuinely thought it was an endless mode with a pretty hard cap based on DPS checks until I saw a friend stream it. It's pretty hard to dislike but even considering all the "grind for the sake of grind" games I've been suckered into this one apparently does not whatsoever produce the serotonin for me that it does for everyone else.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

MonkeyforaHead posted:

idk how I manage to be bad at a game that literally plays itself but I have never come even close to beating a stage of VS; I genuinely thought it was an endless mode with a pretty hard cap based on DPS checks until I saw a friend stream it. It's pretty hard to dislike but even considering all the "grind for the sake of grind" games I've been suckered into this one apparently does not whatsoever produce the serotonin for me that it does for everyone else.
It doesn't exactly play itself, you still have to go for a "build". Several pairs of powers synergize together into a mega power if you get them both to max level (I haven't played in awhile but it used to be something you had to just look up in a chart online), so picking out an ideal build early on and laser-focusing on getting to it usually worked for me. Some skills are less good early on but become great later, especially upgraded, so make sure to try everything to get a feel for what works.

edit: vvv

Cowcaster posted:

having never bothered to look at a gameplay video of it, it’s always sounded like an new form of cookie clicker to me for better or for worse
I'd say the advancement mechanics are more like a card game. The action portion of it might be pretty mindless, but the primary gameplay is more deck building than cookie clicker.

Volte fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 21, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

having never bothered to look at a gameplay video of it, it’s always sounded like an new form of cookie clicker to me for better or for worse

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

MonkeyforaHead posted:

You start out relatively weak, it takes a while of unlocking new passives/weapons/arcanas before you get to the point where you kill everything just by existing. Knowing which weapon/passive combos you need for evolutions is also extremely important and most new players won't even know about it at all.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I mean it's easy enough to tell which things are more effective after using them once or twice but I never get the chance to focus in on the good stuff because I unilaterally get poo poo rolls for upgrade options and just have to kind of make do. I literally think I've gotten the chance to upgrade the starting weapon of any given character, like, twice. Ever. If I get one character's weapon on another character, sure, THEN it'll let me upgrade it on a character who can't use it as effectively and inevitably gets wiped out when the DPS checks invariably outpace my upgrades :argh:

skeezx
Sep 15, 2022
i'd consider VS a successor to geometry wars and stuff like that when "indie games" came of age in the mid-late 00's

its visuals doesn't do it any favors in making people assume it's not a cookie clicker kind of thing (not to impugn the way it looks, but yeah i thought that too at first)

skeezx fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 21, 2022

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I mean it's easy enough to tell which things are more effective after using them once or twice but I never get the chance to focus in on the good stuff because I unilaterally get poo poo rolls for upgrade options and just have to kind of make do. I literally think I've gotten the chance to upgrade the starting weapon of any given character, like, twice. Ever. If I get one character's weapon on another character, sure, THEN it'll let me upgrade it on a character who can't use it as effectively and inevitably gets wiped out when the DPS checks invariably outpace my upgrades :argh:
They are just starting weapons, they don't really "belong" to any character.

I've rarely ever had it give me only choices that I don't want when I'm holding out for an upgrade for something in the early game, so if you prioritize upgrading stuff you already have over taking a weapon or passive you don't really want, you should eventually be able to largely get the build you want. Also, once you run out of room for new stuff, you'll only get upgrades for the stuff you already have, so as long as you have something, you will definitely be able to upgrade it eventually, if you live long enough.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Cowcaster posted:

There are no vampires and you can't survive. It's basically false advertising.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My favourite part of Vampire Survivors is I didn't play it for like two months until picking it back up a few days ago and I immediately triggered some event that teleported me away from the stage I was on, forced me to run rather than fight, then when I beat it the game restarted upside down and unlocked even more poo poo to make me so absurdly unstoppable that I could finally kill death.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

skeezx posted:

i'd consider VS a successor to geometry wars and stuff like that when "indie games" came of age in the mid-late 00's

its visuals doesn't do it any favors in making people assume it's not a cookie clicker kind of thing (not to impugn the way it looks, but yeah i thought that too at first)

I was really bad at geometry wars

skeezx
Sep 15, 2022

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I was really bad at geometry wars

keep your eye on your "guy" and move counter clockwise

been playing it every day since i got my steam deck but yeah i'm not particularly good at it either. made the top 10 or 20 leaderboards in my heyday though

skeezx fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 21, 2022

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Volte posted:

It doesn't exactly play itself, you still have to go for a "build". Several pairs of powers synergize together into a mega power if you get them both to max level (I haven't played in awhile but it used to be something you had to just look up in a chart online), so picking out an ideal build early on and laser-focusing on getting to it usually worked for me. Some skills are less good early on but become great later, especially upgraded, so make sure to try everything to get a feel for what works.

edit: vvv

I'd say the advancement mechanics are more like a card game. The action portion of it might be pretty mindless, but the primary gameplay is more deck building than cookie clicker.

Yeah there are some neat paradigm shifts. At first it feels like an action game/arena shooter, then you get to the point where a lot of the gameplay is deciding what abilities to draft in what order to create your build, then you get The Map and realize there are set powerups in each level that let you exceed the number you can normally have in a build, so it becomes important to manage your time economy and traverse the map to collect those before enemy waves ramp up too much

And eventually it just paradigm shifts its way into "how hard can I break this game" and it feels well deserved at that point

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Tiny Timbs posted:

I fell off the game because it felt like I had to have my nose glued to a super-detailed build guide instead of experimenting. The game gives you respec items but not really enough to feel like you have the freedom to learn on your own as you level.
Also the respec items are technically currency, so even if they're not ~absurdly~ difficult to get you're losing out elsewhere by putting yourself in a situation where you need to respec in general. The solution is to follow a guide, but if you just want to sit down and play without alt-tabbing to a website to check your passive skills PoE just gives you no leash. It's very possible to create a character that sucks so hard that by the midpoint of the game you're too weak to progress and that was exactly how my first 10-12 hours of the game went.

Some people love the game and some people hate it, but does anyone really enjoy having to spend a currency to respec? I can't think of any reason why making respecs completely free wouldn't just outright be a case of "well the game is more fun now", and as far as I can tell it's just a player retention mechanic that people for some reason praise.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

K8.0 posted:

There are no vampires and you can't survive. It's basically false advertising.

I'm pretty sure the characters *are* vampires. Some of them anyway.

Honestly I am bad at games and I've beaten VS a fair bit. These days the game tells you which weapons will synergise with each other. Just kite em round in circles. Take garlic at the start but don't rely on it later. Concentrate on levelling up a weapon rather than just going broad. It's doable.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The Gripper posted:

Also the respec items are technically currency, so even if they're not ~absurdly~ difficult to get you're losing out elsewhere by putting yourself in a situation where you need to respec in general. The solution is to follow a guide, but if you just want to sit down and play without alt-tabbing to a website to check your passive skills PoE just gives you no leash. It's very possible to create a character that sucks so hard that by the midpoint of the game you're too weak to progress and that was exactly how my first 10-12 hours of the game went.

Some people love the game and some people hate it, but does anyone really enjoy having to spend a currency to respec? I can't think of any reason why making respecs completely free wouldn't just outright be a case of "well the game is more fun now", and as far as I can tell it's just a player retention mechanic that people for some reason praise.

because it creates some level of stakes and investment in your character. its fun to play a game thaht doesnt have barriers to prevent you completley loving up. also the first time i played and bounced off i made it thru mid game w my own build looking up nothing without any issue, its really just arpg standard stuff w a handful of eccentricities. as long as youre reading what youre putting points into and having some level of forethought wrt where you are trying to get to and what the character is doing its fine.

its the same reason smoothing out anything gets push back, bcos the end result is games like diablo 3 where every inch of soul has been sucked out of it, all the edges are sanded off and it makes everything completely boring. theres plenty of games out there that do that already w/o having to push for the ones that dont to dumb themselves down as well.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

The Gripper posted:

Yeah maybe it would more fun right now but it would rapidly become boring as you mindlessly cycle through all the possible choices and have no motivation to stick with any particular one.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Stux posted:

you will find more than six chaos orbs an hour just lying on the floor. it is not possible to be finding so little that it would be quicker to level a new character. i am brand new to the game and ucrrently if i cleared out all my easily sellable stuff, not including the gear tab ive never put up for trade bcos i havnt need the extra cash, i could fully respec 70 times and have a little bit of change left over lol

If you want to wipe the slate clean on your character, you probably aren't clearing maps at a rate that'll give you six chaos orbs an hour :v:

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Volte posted:

Yeah maybe it would more fun right now but it would rapidly become boring as you mindlessly cycle through all the possible choices and have no motivation to stick with any particular one.
If making it hard to respec is the only thing keeping the game interesting then maybe the game is actually boring?

edit; and in that case they're smart to do it the way they did. I still don't like it!

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 21, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Vampire Survivors gives me a lot of the vibes I got from the original Risk of Rain, with hordes of enemies building up faster/stronger over time and stupidly stacking powerups, along to cool music. It's top-down and not side-on you aren't as tiny in the environment as in RoR, and RoR has you actively use a set of 4 skills instead of auto-firing, but the core vibe is there. And on that note, anyone who hasn't played the original RoR should absolutely get it (RoR2 is cool too, but it's different, not a straight upgrade making the og obsolete).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
A paper mario style game came out yesterday called The Outbound Ghost. If anyone decides to try it out please post a trip report.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1276810/The_Outbound_Ghost/

quote:

The Outbound Ghost is an adventure RPG about helping ghosts ascend to the afterlife. The town of Outbound is, quite literally, a ghost town – a home to troubled spooks with unresolved earthly issues, condemning them to an eternity haunting their old *ahem* haunts.

Battle the past, gain new abilities, solve puzzles, and uncover the mysteries of Outbound to help its unliving residents find peace, freeing them from the shackles of their ghostly limbo.

Colourful characters: Meet a lovable cast of spooks along the way, each with their own story to unravel
Combat encounters: Unlock figments of your past personality, such as Regret, Comradery, and Jealousy and use them as party members in turn-based battles
Aspects System: Craft materials earned by winning combat encounters into badges, which can be equipped for various effects and stat boosts
A world in 2.5D: Adorable, paper-style characters inhabit a world with depth and detail to create a distinctly eye-catching visual style

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I don't know if this has been posted earlier, but I feel it should be brought to everyone's attention:

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1572372646012260353

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Samovar posted:

I don't know if this has been posted earlier, but I feel it should be brought to everyone's attention:
Trombone Champ is fantastic. I've played as much as I think I can handle, my wrists aren't as young as they used to be and getting S rank is hard. My recommendation is to put your mouse sensitivity as high as you can.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

The Gripper posted:

what's the point of diablo-type games if not to make cool builds? and what's the point of cool builds if they require no investment.

idm D3 as much as other people but it's like a cake made entirely out of glazing. poe is a cake that looks like poo poo but mmmm what rounded flavours and what a satisfying crunch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Being easier to get into doesn't mean there's zero complexity. If Diablo 3 were really as simple as people claimed then everyone would be effortlessly solo clearing GR150s with perfectly optimized builds each season, but the fact that the vast, vast majority of players don't come even close to this either with or without mass paragon kind of indicates to me that many people don't really understand the game as well as they think. I could randomly browse anyone's armory on bnet and find lots of opportunities for improvement, or a better understanding of skill/gear choices even within a super prescriptive endgame build. There are a ton of unintuitive crunchy RPG mechanics under the hood that are still being solved in D3, so I'm never all that convinced by easy to learn = no depth arguments.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The Gripper posted:

Trombone Champ is fantastic. I've played as much as I think I can handle, my wrists aren't as young as they used to be and getting S rank is hard. My recommendation is to put your mouse sensitivity as high as you can.

I had a bit of a lull for a while after finishing up Like a Dragon, but I started playing Return to Monkey Island and looks like I have another game lined up now

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

exquisite tea posted:

Being easier to get into doesn't mean there's zero complexity. If Diablo 3 were really as simple as people claimed then everyone would be effortlessly solo clearing GR150s with perfectly optimized builds each season, but the fact that the vast, vast majority of players don't come even close to this either with or without mass paragon kind of indicates to me that many people don't really understand the game as well as they think. I could randomly browse anyone's armory on bnet and find lots of opportunities for improvement, or a better understanding of skill/gear choices even within a super prescriptive endgame build. There are a ton of unintuitive crunchy RPG mechanics under the hood that are still being solved in D3, so I'm never all that convinced by easy to learn = no depth arguments.
This, pretty much exactly. D3's endgame is complex but it hides it well by keeping it all frictionless if you choose to not engage with it - you can ignore almost everything and still feel like you're a beast, albeit you'll hit a wall at some point. Investing in one build doesn't move you further away from alternative builds, and I think that's completely fine?

You can get invested in min-maxing if you want, but it doesn't force that investment on you nor does it care if you change your mind. I completely understand the people who like the investment PoE requires but I don't think it's at all necessary and it could stand on its own without it. I'd definitely get back into the game if it loosened up on the grind.

The Gripper fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Sep 21, 2022

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I also fell off of D3 hard because of how sanded down it is. Same things happens to me with WoW now, too. Sure there’s some end game where it theoretically gets interesting again but it sucks that the other 97% of the game is so uninteresting.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I tried Card Survival for about an hour (while taking a break from Monkey Island) after hearing about it in the new releases thread. It seems like a really good, addictive game. It reminds me of UnReal World, but hopefully without the RSI (I love the aesthetic of roguelikes, but they're too much for my weak hands).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Stux posted:

because it creates some level of stakes and investment in your character. its fun to play a game thaht doesnt have barriers to prevent you completley loving up. also the first time i played and bounced off i made it thru mid game w my own build looking up nothing without any issue, its really just arpg standard stuff w a handful of eccentricities. as long as youre reading what youre putting points into and having some level of forethought wrt where you are trying to get to and what the character is doing its fine.

its the same reason smoothing out anything gets push back, bcos the end result is games like diablo 3 where every inch of soul has been sucked out of it, all the edges are sanded off and it makes everything completely boring. theres plenty of games out there that do that already w/o having to push for the ones that dont to dumb themselves down as well.
I think people referring to it as a 'respec' is also a little ambiguous and misleading compared to Diablo 3. In Diablo 3 you swap out your skills freely. You do the exact same thing in Path of Exile, because they're just items. You can't respec from a Mage to a Necromancer in Diablo 3, but you can in Path of Exile. You're gonna want to change like a handful of passive tree nodes if you move from primarily using lightning skills to using cold skills, but that's not a daunting respec, it's just tweaking around the corners - something the game expects you to do as you gear up in endgame, moving points from resistance nodes to jewel nodes for example.

It is hard to respec in Path of Exile if you don't know what you're doing because you're expecting to be able to go back to a clean slate but the game is designed around the idea that you will be iterating on what you already have, moving a few points at a time, because for most archetypes outside of niche builds the skeleton of your tree will be largely similar. You start as a Duelist and want to use Axes, you make your way to the Axe nodes through the HP and Accuracy, then you decide you want to be Swords so you refund the Axes and branch out to Swords - you don't regret all the way back to start because you still need those HP and Accuracy nodes, and the tree is designed to have all these specialty nodes in clusters for this reason. At a push you can change your class specialisation, but it's very rare you'd ever want to do this because the game is also built around the idea that you'll play it for a while then lose interest and come back in the next expansion to either try a new character or improve on your previous one.
Like, yeah, it's gonna be expensive if you rolled a Ball Lightning character and at level 40 decide you want to do Skeleton Mages instead, but also that kind of change just flat-out isn't possible in Diablo 3 for however free the respecs are because the minion character has the minions and the mage character has the lightning.